• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

zedge

Divvy said:
iFN2rfFfvht32.gif

lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
zedge said:
Galaxy S 2s are like $599 no contract.
I can definitely do that. Do we have a release date yet? Or are you guys stuck in limbo like US?

zedge

Bboy AJ said:
I can definitely do that. Do we have a release date yet? Or are you guys stuck in limbo like US?

No concrete dates, supposedly Bell and Virgin in December, then Telus and Rogers in Jan.

rozay

Banned
Is there a site like Handtec in Canada that would allow buyers to ship their phones to them for warranty purposes? That, or Gaffers willing to ship phones from Canada?

How much did the Nexus S cost when it was introduced to canada? $529 like the USA or different price?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can't we just get some respectable CAN GAFers to ship us phones? :(

def sim

gcubed said:
Too much for my blood, then an issue is a few weeks minimum without a phone

but!

Unlocked GS2 here in the US is $600. I'm probably wrong in assuming the Nexus is going to be $500 so I might be only paying $90 extra to import. Waiting for the GSM Canadian release might not be worth the savings after the international shipping cost. Though, I'm going to have to hope the phone is invincible. I am trying so hard to convince myself of this, I've probably already decided. D:

Bboy AJ

rance said:
but!

Unlocked GS2 here in the US is $600. I'm probably wrong in assuming the Nexus is going to be $500 so I might be only paying $90 extra to import. Waiting for the GSM Canadian release might not be worth the savings after the international shipping cost. Though, I'm going to have to hope the phone is invincible. I am trying so hard to convince myself of this, I've probably already decided. D:
Stop. You're pushing me toward Handtec.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm.. I'm really curious about ICS on a bigger screen.

border

I think you guys are going to have to start another Official Thread, once Google actually tells us about the things that actually are contained in the original post of an Official Thread -- you know, stuff like price and release date....

santouras

I didn't realise they brought back a notification LED, seriously missed that on my nexus s.

also that review talks about the gtalk swiping and seeing statuses throughout the rest of the phone, have been able to do that for ages, like he hasn't used android before.

rozay

Banned
santouras said:
I didn't realise they brought back a notification LED, seriously missed that on my nexus s.

also that review talks about the gtalk swiping and seeing statuses throughout the rest of the phone, have been able to do that for ages, like he hasn't used android before.
Its probably because you can see the names of the people you can swipe left and right to chat with at the top of the screen now, swiping works in previous gtalk versions but there's no visual indication it's possible.

Mafro said:
Listened to the live podcast last night and Topolsky said he would have rated the Galaxy Nexus higher than the 4S if the camera was better.

Watching the video review, he also mention that it would be the best phone ever if it wasn't for the plastic body. This phone looks like a winner!

rabhw

Battersea Power Station said:
Why are some impressions calling the camera the best they've seen on a phone while others are complaining about it?

My guess would be some of those comments are focused on the software experience being awesome, while others are focused on the actual picture results being so-so due to the sensor.

From the Cnet review:
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is a big step forward for Android, but it's not the giant leap you may have been expecting. As impressive as it is, Ice Cream Sandwich can be messy, and without it, the Galaxy Nexus is just another Android device.

What does just another Android device mean? Without IOS the IPhone would be just another Apple device. And?!

As well as ICS, it does have a 4.65", 720p, 316ppi screen. A zero shutter lag camera & no capacitive buttons. A couple of first (or almost first) implementation on Android. How is it just another Android device?

def sim

Yeah, I don't get it either. I can't even be snarky about the comment, it's so confusing.

Bboy AJ said:
Stop. You're pushing me toward Handtec.

I've had a tab on the checkout window for a while now. Just one click and I can be cool like the Europeans!

D'ultimate said:
From the Cnet review:
and without it, the Galaxy Nexus is just another Android device.

What does just another Android device mean? Without IOS the IPhone would be just another Apple device. And?!

And it's like, that's really fucking useful as a review point. "If it didn't have the software if comes with, it'd just be another device".

Well it has Ice Cream Sandwich. I'm not going to go in to a shop and go "Oh, sorry, can you flash Eclair on there? I like a bit of retro favour to my phone."

In other news, without ice cream, an ice cream sandwich would just be wafers. So it's hard to recommend on that basis.

Bloody Cnet.

antispin

D'ultimate said:
From the Cnet review:

As well as ICS, it does have a 4.65", 720p, 316ppi screen. A zero shutter lag camera & no capacitive buttons. A couple of first (or almost first) implementation on Android. How is it just another Android device?
Well, it's got a dual-core processor, it's got RAM, it has a camera, and it's made from plastic bits. Just like every Android phone. Surely, you see the logic here.

Zeppu

antispin said:
Well, it's got a dual-core processor, it's got RAM, it has a camera, and it's made from plastic bits. Just like every Android phone. Surely, you see the logic here.

iPhone 4S without Siri is just iPhone4?

D'ultimate said:
From the Cnet review:

it's iCnet. expected.

Oozer3993

gutshot said:
Apparently Verizon hasn't even sent out review copies yet. Wtf are they doing over there?
They're still testing it. Supposedly some bugs cropped up during the last round of testing which delayed the release. Apparently the current round of tests should be done tomorrow. Since Verizon probably wouldn't want to rush the release for next week, we're probably looking at November 28th.

gcubed

Oozer3993 said:
They're still testing it. Supposedly some bugs cropped up during the last round of testing which delayed the release. Apparently the current round of tests should be done tomorrow. Since Verizon probably wouldn't want to rush the release for next week, we're probably looking at November 28th.

it's next week, most likely monday

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
DARE TO DREAM.

Yes, I will always respond to your posts with this message.

haha, i'm hoping this dream is right, a lot of stores have been getting boxes marked to not open and people have been getting told monday is going to be a busy day. I'm actually off on Monday, which would be perfect

gcubed said:
haha, i'm hoping this dream is right, a lot of stores have been getting boxes marked to not open and people have been getting told monday is going to be a busy day. I'm actually off on Monday, which would be perfect

The verge is guessing the same thing it looks like?

http://gizmodo.com/5860814/galaxy-nexus-rumored-to-launch-on-verizon-this-monday

UPDATE: posting actual verge link:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568251/galaxy-nexus-uk-release-date-launch

which only says
"Google tells us the Galaxy Nexus will be available "pretty much everywhere" from Monday, November 21st."

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
"Pretty much everywhere" doesn't say much.

Droid-life's sources say November 28th, the earliest. In any case, we will find out today if its Monday. Verizon would have to announce it before the end of the day.

if they are using P3droid as their source then they should quit now

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
"Pretty much everywhere" doesn't say much.

Droid-life's sources say November 28th, the earliest. In any case, we will find out today if its Monday. Verizon would have to announce it before the end of the day.

also, "pretty much everywhere" specifically means "no GSM in the US" :)

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
:'(

Enjoy your Galaxy Verizon.

we shall see, if i get 2 hours of battery life and hate the service i'll be annoyed, then return it and be in the same boat as all of you.

Can't be much worse then ATT though, so i'm not that worried, just worried about LTE battery drain.

Circle T

gcubed said:
we shall see, if i get 2 hours of battery life and hate the service i'll be annoyed, then return it and be in the same boat as all of you.

Can't be much worse then ATT though, so i'm not that worried, just worried about LTE battery drain.
I have to REALLY overuse my Charge to not make it through a day on a single recharge. Now granted, the G-Nex does have a bigger, HD screen and dual-core, but it also has a ~10% larger battery as well. I'm feeling pretty confident that it will manage fine.

gcubed said:

You're buying an off-contract version? Or, two year?

gcubed

Circle T said:
I have to REALLY overuse my Charge to not make it through a day on a single recharge. Now granted, the G-Nex does have a bigger, HD screen and dual-core, but it also has a ~10% larger battery as well. I'm feeling pretty confident that it will manage fine.

thanks, i'll still worry until i have it in my hands, but as long as it matches my nexus one (which shouldn't be too hard) i'll be happy

Vyse The Legend said:
You're buying an off-contract version? Or, two year?

2 year. i've been wanting to switch for a while (once they got service in the philly subway system) but have been holding off. Until we in the US get any kind of discount for buying off contract its a necessary evil. Only ever bought the ATT Nexus 1 off contract...

Top Bottom