• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Adamm

All I ask is that you report back in a few days with impressions on the battery life with moderate-heavy use.

Will do!

Also there is alot of stuff missing from the android market on 4.0...including youtube =/
It automatically downloaded for me when I logged into my account but I cant find it when searching on the market.
You think google would have all thier apps working on 4.0 already, hmm...

See! (wanted an excuse to post a screenshot :p)

EDIT: Apparanelty Youtube & Gmail are now default apps so are already on your phone & cant be uninstalled.

Adamm

How's the camera quality? Particularly in dimly lit rooms? If it's not much trouble can you post some pictures you've taken with it?

Havent really had much chance to take many pictures, as it was already getting dark when i picked up the phone.

So just did a quick run round the house to take a few pics, not really sure what to take pictures off for a good comparison.

Cat in Medium light
Cat in very low light
Low light indoors
Low light indoors 2
Crappy streetlights outdoors
Medium light indoors

Camera quality seems nothing special, although you can judge by yourself from the pics.
I could post a few more taken in natural light tomorrow if you want

The most impressive thing about the camera is the zero shutter lag, as soon as you touch the button the picture is taken - its quite an odd feeling & keeps catching me out as im expecting the camera take a second to focus.

EDIT: sorry for double post

sneaky77

Havent really had much chance to take many pictures, as it was already getting dark when i picked up the phone.

So just did a quick run round the house to take a few pics, not really sure what to take pictures off for a good comparison.

Cat in Medium light
Cat in very low light
Low light indoors
Low light indoors 2
Medium light indoors

Camera quality seems nothing special, although you can judge by yourself from the pics.

The most impressive thing about the camera is the zero shutter lag, as soon as you touch the button the picture is taken - its quite an odd feeling & keeps catching me out as im expecting the camera take a second to focus.

That's not that bad. Is a phone camera, is what it is, serviceable.

reKon

Banned
yeah, you should definitely try some outdoor pics on a nice bright day and let us know how those turn out. Also, if you're going to be listening to any music on there using good headphones, let me know that sounds! One thing I'm definitely going to be doing is listening to a lot of music on the phone so I want to know if it sounds good and how the battery life fairs with primarily music on, but no back light screen.

Druz

Cat in Medium light
Cat in very low light
Low light indoors
Low light indoors 2
Medium light indoors

Camera looks horrendous though. Looks like a picture taken from my Droid 1... make sureyou set the proper resolution in the options.

Adamm

check face unlock with a photo!

Tried it & it works. I took a picture of myself on my previous phone and used it to unlock on the galaxy nexus.
But its not as easy it appears on the videos that ive seen. It took my quite a few tries to get it light up correctly as it seems to pop up very fast saying 'We did not recognise your face.
So it would take some one who didnt know what they were doing quite a few times to be able to get it done.

yeah, you should definitely try some outdoor pics on a nice bright day and let us know how those turn out. Also, if you're going to be listening to any music on there using good headphones, let me know that sounds! One thing I'm definitely going to be doing is listening to a lot of music on the phone so I want to know if it sounds good and how the battery life fairs with primarily music on, but no back light screen.

Ill give it a test tomorrow on the way to work :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Cat in Medium light
Cat in very low light
Low light indoors
Low light indoors 2
Medium light indoors

Thanks! They don't look as bad as I thought, but not that great either.

Tried it & it works. I took a picture of myself on my previous phone and used it to unlock on the galaxy nexus.
But its not as easy it appears on the videos that ive seen. It took my quite a few tries to get it light up correctly as it seems to pop up very fast saying 'We did not recognise your face.
So it would take some one who didnt know what they were doing quite a few times to be able to get it done.

no, i mean an actual photo! like on paper!

Adamm

no, i mean an actual photo! like on paper!

Ok tested this aswell.

It doesn't seem to work with most photos. I think this may be because I have very few photos of myself that im staring straight at the camera without smiling.
I had set up the face recognition for me looking straight at the camera with a serious face on but most of my photos im either slightly side on or have some sort of stupid face on which is stopping it from working.

Even using my real face while smiling it tells me it doesn't recognize my face.

But yes it does work with printed photos, if you can find the right photo.

rozay

Banned
Judging by a lot of the sample pics, zero shutter lag is terrible as the phone can shake when you press the onscreen button. So many poor shots would look fine if the focusing was better :(

Has its pros and cons I guess.

def sim

Aw butts

My bank has no idea what handtec is talking about in one of the required security check options, the other is too invasive, and the third is probably my last choice which is shipping to my workplace. If this doesn't work out I'm just going to wait until December or go iPhone because this is probably one of the most frustrating purchase I've ever had tried to do.

Aw butts

My bank has no idea what handtec is talking about in one of the required security check options, the other is too invasive, and the third is probably my last choice which is shipping to my workplace. If this doesn't work out I'm just going to wait until December or go iPhone because this is probably one of the most frustrating purchase I've ever had tried to do.

Or buy from someone else? Like erm Clove or 3 who have confirmed the payg version they are selling is unlocked?

def sim

I was considering Clove but I'm going to have to see how this Handtec order pans out first. If other stores have the same ridiculous security checks when it comes to international orders, I'm most definitely going to give up.

I was considering Clove but I'm going to have to see how this Handtec order pans out first. If other stores have the same ridiculous security checks when it comes to international orders, I'm most definitely going to give up.

There's still the possibility of some Best Buy stocking an HSPA+ version. Y'never know.

sneaky77

EDIT: Apparanelty Youtube & Gmail are now default apps so are already on your phone & cant be uninstalled.

They were default apps on my original droid.. you have to enter your gmail account in the phone when it firsts boots up.. hasnt that always been the case in all android phones?

Husker86

You can't uninstall Gmail in Gingerbread on phones that are sold with Google Apps (at least on the ones I've had/used recently), all you can do is uninstall updates. You're supposed to be able to update it from the Market but they have always been "default apps".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Adamm, how fast is Face Unlock? Do you just turn on the screen and it instantaneously unlocks?

Lucky.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Handtec has a Google Checkout option that's just as good as other forms of payment. I've used it before, works perfectly.

Adamm

Adamm, how fast is Face Unlock? Do you just turn on the screen and it instantaneously unlocks?

Lucky.

Its really quick , you see your face pop up on screen for about half a second then it unlocks.
Infact its so quick it doesnt even look like its checking anything, i had to test it with a few other faces just to be sure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Its really quick , you see your face pop up on screen for about half a second then it unlocks.
Infact its so quick it doesnt even look like its checking anything, i had to test it with a few other faces just to be sure.

Awesome. That's what I was hoping for. I don't care to use a PIN because I don't like having to do anything before I use my phone. This is perfect for my situation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is guy is jealous over here. Reading your impressions!

outsidah

Awesome. That's what I was hoping for. I don't care to use a PIN because I don't like having to do anything before I use my phone. This is perfect for my situation.

I understand your point, I hate having to unlock my phone with gestures or PINs since when I want my phone I want it immediately, however with the amount of personal data we tend to carry around on them it's just not very safe. I have never (thankfully) lost any phone, but if it were to happen, I feel better with some kind of security.

Just food for though :)

In other news... I really hope Handtec comes through tomorrow with my Galaxy Nexus order :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

So awesome.

Does the phone 'feel' big? Does it fit comfortable in your pocket?

Adamm

So awesome.

Does the phone 'feel' big? Does it fit comfortable in your pocket?

Since im upgrading from a nexus one, it looks and feels huge compared to it - its also alot longer (taller?) than most other big phones ive tried, but im getting used to it.
It feels fine in my pocket though as its lighter and thinner.

Yoshiya

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/21/...h-lacks-flash-support-will-have-it-eventually
We're not sure you'd necessarily consider this a bad thing, but Google's new world-beating Android phone, the Galaxy Nexus, comes without a preinstalled Flash Player and offers no option to download or install it from the Market. This is because, says Google, Adobe needs to update the software for Ice Cream Sandwich, which has yet to happen.

That puts us in rather a tricky situation since Adobe recently halted development of Flash for mobile platforms, although SlashGear — who first spotted the issue — has a statement from Google saying that "as far as we know, Adobe will support Flash for ICS."
Huh.

Zeppu

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5133/galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-initial-performance

42469.png

42470.png

42471.png

42472.png

pootle

Well, I caved and changed my order to a galaxy note. Just can't do without usb sticks.

I still think the nexus is a sexy beast of a phone though. Phoooar!

Adamm

Another review, this time form TechRader http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-nexus-1039209/review?artc_pg=1

They mention a lack of social network integration for contacts, but doesn't the People app link with Twitter and Google+?
Yeah Facebook doesnt seem to integrate with contacts, when you log into the facebook app for the first time it does not give you the options to sync them & I have yet to find out a way to do it manually.
I also cant find a way to get into the facebook settings, but I assume thats to with facebooks crappy android app.

DrFunk said:

Havent noticed this so far, but ill keep watch to see.

gcubed

Any reputable credit card is going to initally deny a purchase from overseas that is $700

how do you update them then?

they will show up on the market when an update is out

There's still the possibility of some Best Buy stocking an HSPA+ version. Y'never know.

There is, in January. Good news is, its entirely possible it may be out before the Verizon version is

Handtec has a Google Checkout option that's just as good as other forms of payment. I've used it before, works perfectly.

its just a front end for your credit card, same rules will apply (its the amount of money, not the form)

Another review, this time form TechRader http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-nexus-1039209/review?artc_pg=1

They mention a lack of social network integration for contacts, but doesn't the People app link with Twitter and Google+?

People has an API that twitter and facebook could use to integrate with if they so choose, so expect a twitter update soon, a facebook update end of next year

yeah was posted earlier in this thread, appears to be a software problem which is why having a nexus device is nice. An update will be rolled out and you dont have to wait months

man, multiquote is going to ruin my post count! I'm no longer switching to Verizon, they lost me. I'm waiting to try to get one from Canada on Dec 8th or around there. Either order it or road trip it (Dad live a little over an hour away)

Mafro

Yeah Facebook doesnt seem to integrate with contacts, when you log into the facebook app for the first time it does not give you the options to sync them & I have yet to find out a way to do it manually.
I also cant find a way to get into the facebook settings, but I assume thats to with facebooks crappy android app.
Google removed the ability to sync contacts with Facebook because it violates their terms of service or some shit. There's a few apps on the marketplace that allow you to do it, but I don't know if it works the same way.

Top Bottom