• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

Pctx said:
I will laugh if att launches this before verizon!

That's very unlikely, unless the LTE model has some really big hardware issues that they can't fix via software patches. Everyone in their mother is reviewing the GSM version.

derder

Ok. So, can we all agree that the reason the Launch event was temporarily suspended was due to probability that this launch would be fubar'd?

This is honestly the worst launch of a consumer product in recent memory.

derder said:

Pretty stunning because I really think this could be the watershed moment for Android, as it finally has an OS that can actually capture (as much as I hate this term) "mindshare" in the general populace.

On another topic... anyone here have thoughts on the rumblings from other forums (namely reddit and xda) about the Nexus line potentially compromising its pure and unbranded Android experience?

In some screenshots you see My Verizon Mobile installed and the Verizon brand is clearly on the battery cover.

gcubed

walbertsmith said:
Pretty stunning because I really think this could be the watershed moment for Android, as it finally has an OS that can actually capture (as much as I hate this term) "mindshare" in the general populace.

On another topic... anyone here have thoughts on the rumblings from other forums (namely reddit and xda) about the Nexus line potentially compromising its pure and unbranded Android experience?

In some screenshots you see My Verizon Mobile installed and the Verizon brand is clearly on the battery cover.

should have let ATT/Tmobile/Sprint launch it and tell the Verizon people who want the Nexus to "complain to them" instead of eliminating all of the other carriers from launching it first. I'm also sure the name on the back, the exclusive launch window, the reason we can't even buy a GSM phone unlocked is Verizon as well. Not worth it

edit, is all of AndroidGAF on G+ for the eventual forum downtime?

edit2, while i dont really consider MyVerizon bloat, Backup manager definitely is. If Verizon isn't advertising it, if they aren't helping push it, i just dont think compromising on all of this is worth it

JonCha

Watched The Verge review and the phone looks really, really good. My only concern is that the app quality from the market is still going to be crap compared to iOS. Everything else looks solid though.

If I'm on Fido here in canada, can I expect it on Fido at around the same time as Rogers?(They have a partnership here in canada, they share the same lines.)

What are my options to get one of those as soon as possible?

reKon

Banned
JonCha said:
Watched The Verge review and the phone looks really, really good. My only concern is that the app quality from the market is still going to be crap compared to iOS. Everything else looks solid though.

really? crap..?

I know that iOS is better in terms of app selection and quality, but what kind of apps are you looking for that's on the iOS that's not on the android market?

Most of time when I see the type of complaint, it's usually hyperbole..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Galaxy Nexus just underscores how cell phones and service and the whole way things are handled is one big cluster.

This might be the single biggest thing in the technology landscape that bugs the crap out of me. It's hard to really know ahead of time what's coming out, you have different phone variations of the same model per carrier, stuff comes out at different times, you get locked in, companies grab for exclusives, different phones and different carriers roll out updates at different times and different ways... etc... etc...

There isn't really a single good thing I can say about the way the US handles cell phones. Not one thing.

reKon said:
really? crap..?

I know that iOS is better in terms of app selection and quality, but what kind of apps are you looking for that's on the iOS that's not on the android market?

Honestly, I only use about 5 or 6 apps and they have equivalents across all OS's. I'm actually not a fan of browsing through a a shitton of knock off and money grab apps. I don't see what the issue is with app support on a platform as open as Android. There are plenty of apps on there and at this point, the number of apps is irrelevant.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
reKon said:
really? crap..?

Yes, crap. When's the last you've ever used iOS stuff? It all looks so much better. So much better.

Check out Tapatalk for a quick example. The best Android Twitter app is Plume but I far prefer Tweetbot on iOS.

Bboy AJ said:
Yes, crap. When's the last you've ever used iOS stuff? It all looks so much better. So much better.

Check out Tapatalk for a quick example. The best Android Twitter app is Plume but I far prefer Tweetbot on iOS.

It's just as much on the developers as it is the platform though. Too many just port over their Android version from their Apple one.

With Android devices making more and more headlines in terms of sales though, I'm sure devs are taking proper notice, and will build more appropriately for the platform.

Give it a bit of time, but there IS quality out there. Spotify is a great example of an app that's optimized for the strengths of each platform.

gcubed

Bboy AJ said:

most of the stuff i use on a day to day basis on apps is fairly consistent in quality between the two platforms. Though, this is for my uses. So while you say the app side is crap, i say the app side is just as good. It's a fairly user specific comment since not all users use the same app

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Heard that argument before. I'll be waiting forever. It just seems iOS stuff is just so much better.

Has anyone done apps on both platforms? Are Android's tools worse or is it just a case of lazy devs porting from iOS?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
As a huge Android fan who just switched over to iPhone, I can backup that claim. The Android apps are serviceable and even good to great in some cases. But in comparison to iOS the app ecosystem and selection in general is crap.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I actually find the apps equal if not better on android. It is the games that are far behind.

SimleuqiR

DrFunk said:

t-hanks.jpg

I love the on-screen controls of the Android browser. Just hope this makes it over to the Chrome browser when it hits Android.

ics-gnex-12-SlashGear.jpg

Circle T

Divvy said:
I actually find the apps equal if not better on android. It is the games that are far behind.
Same. All the apps that I use on a regular basis are really nice. I don't play a lot of games on my phone, though, so I can't really comment on how poor the quality/selection is. Jelly Defense, PvZ, Angry Birds, Airport Mania... those are fine for me.

Circle T said:
Same. All the apps that I use on a regular basis are really nice. I don't play a lot of games on my phone, though, so I can't really comment on how poor the quality/selection is. Jelly Defense, PvZ, Angry Birds, Airport Mania... those are fine for me.

pretty much agree with these type of sentiments. The majority of the apps *I use* on android are up to par with those on ios. Any google related app is guaranteed to be better on android as well, this includes having built in navigation, better gmail client, google reader app, better google voice integration, etc.

Are we talking functionality wise or appearance wise?

Mafro

So this is now available in the UK via Phones4U, O2 and Three (24 month contracts only). No sign of it being directly available from Orange, and apparently vodafone are still "testing" it and one of their tech team confirmed it'll have a vodafone specific ROM(!) if you buy from them.

Seems to be a lot of anger on Phones4U's Twitter page, overnight they upped the price of the SIM-free model from £549 to £659(!), then back down to £529 today. Shambles.

SimleuqiR

Mafro said:
So this is now available in the UK via Phones4U, O2 and Three (24 month contracts only). No sign of it being directly available from Orange, and apparently vodafone are still "testing" it and one of their tech team confirmed it'll have a vodafone specific ROM(!) if you buy from them.

Seems to be a lot of anger on Phones4U's Twitter page, overnight they upped the price of the SIM-free model from £549 to £659(!), then back down to £529 today. Shambles.

W>T>F! Google!

derder said:
Ok. So, can we all agree that the reason the Launch event was temporarily suspended was due to probability that this launch would be fubar'd?

is the launch going bad anywhere other than the USA?

reKon

Banned
any info about the audio quality on the nexus? I'm going to be making good use of google music and I want my music sounding excellent whether headphones or speakers.

achapel

OriginalThinking said:
Oh, this is going to rile up a few fanboys something brilliant! Steve would be turning in his grave....
Maybe now that Steve is gone, Woz feels comfortable getting a real phone, not one he is obligated to get. :p

achapel said:
Maybe now that Steve is gone, Woz feels comfortable getting a real phone, not one he is obligated to get. :p

As a legendary engineer he should feel more comfortable with Google and Android anyway. Google is an engineering company, Apple is a designers company.

JonnyBrad

Phandroid now saying the LTE is only 16gb at launch as well now.

Could they have fucked this up even more? I didn't think that was possible.

Mafro

If anyone in the UK is desperate for an unlocked one, Three confirmed on their Twitter that the Galaxy Nexus on PAYG is unlocked, £499 plus a minimum £10 top up. Seems like they are in stock on their website, with the earliest delivery being Tuesday. Wish I had known this weeks ago, would have just ordered from there instead of Handtec.

So, bad news for Verizon people. Several leaked shots have confirmed December 8th as the new target release date.

Also, Google removed the 32gb spec from the official site.

Galaxy Verizon is such a fail.

def sim

Next they're going to say Verizon has exclusivity until spring. This is the only way it could end if you look deeply into your hearts.

Looks like my part of the UK hasn't got the GN's in store yet, though they did have a dummy model on display. I was surprised at the size of it, I was expecting something that would be completely unwieldy but although it was longer than my SGS it really wasn't that much wider.

Will have to hit the shops again come the end of the week to see if I can get some hands on time. I've convinced myself the 16gb limitation won't be an issue, now it's getting past that price tag :/

(Perhaps by that point 4.0.1 will be out which fixes this volume bug!)

edit: way late

what the hell are you doing google :/

Also, you guys should be happy that you don't have the phone yet. People that do have it are experiencing a ghost in their phone changing the volume randomly. Might be a good idea to hold off on importing until it's determined if it's a hardware or software defect.

Some people are. It's probably going to be a software thing. Not going to be worth panicking over. Seems to happen when switching off data or toggling Wi-Fi at random. Which seems less like hardware and more like a bug.

pootle

Taken from Reddit, via Androidpolice

Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage?

ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.

If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.

Sorry if this was a well known thing but I've just heard about it. Can anyone confirm that this means that I won't be able to use a usb otg adapter cable with the nexus to access sticks, card readers etc?

The no card slot didn't bother me personally because I assumed I would be able to use memory sticks etc like on other android phones. It might not be that important for most people but it's a big deal for me.

Top Bottom