• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Taken from Reddit, via Androidpolice

Sorry if this was a well known thing but I've just heard about it. Can anyone confirm that this means that I won't be able to use a usb otg adapter cable with the nexus to access sticks, card readers etc?

The no card slot didn't bother me personally because I assumed I would be able to use memory sticks etc like on other android phones. It might not be that important for most people but it's a big deal for me.

Aren't you getting confused with USB host mode? http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/host.html

Pctx

Banned
So, bad news for Verizon people. Several leaked shots have confirmed December 8th as the new target release date.

Also, Google removed the 32gb spec from the official site.

Galaxy Verizon is such a fail.

I already told everyone that it was coming 2nd week of December, this should not be a shock to any Gaffers.

pootle

Yeah- PANIC OVER!

Thank goodness- I got myself all confused.

The reason I got so excited is that the way things are at the moment I have basically all my important stuff travelling with me on memory sticks.

If there was any issue with using them my plans would have been fecked. phew.

Anyway, thanks for replying, I knew I was going wrong somewhere but needed someone to spell it out for me.

My motto for anything nexus related shall now be Keep Calm and Carry On.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I still can't decide if I want this phone or not. If they had only put in a better camera sensor it would have been perfect! Stupid Samsung.

Cipherr

Screw it, lets wait on the Galaxy S3 ;)

In any case, whenever the S3 hits, Samsung has a really large opportunity in front of them to capitalize on what they started with the S2. If they can once again deliver for the next entry in that line, its going to freaking explode.

Yeah- PANIC OVER!

The reason I got so excited is that the way things are at the moment I have basically all my important stuff travelling with me on memory sticks.

Anyway, thanks for replying, I knew I was going wrong somewhere but needed someone to spell it out for me.

Have a look at this;

This is the S2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=giJXF5pIITc#t=86s

Screw it, lets wait on the Galaxy S3 ;)

In any case, whenever the S3 hits, Samsung has a really large opportunity in front of them to capitalize on what they started with the S2. If they can once again deliver for the next entry in that line, its going to freaking explode.

I just hope that the S III doesn't just use a 32nm Exynos chip.

Does anybody know when it would be realistic for Samsung to be mass producing an SoC with the next-gen Mali in it?

rozay

Banned
Yeah- PANIC OVER!

Panic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1352769

Anno

So, assuming this phone isn't available on AT&T in the states, how might one go about getting it from another country? I assume it'll have the correct bands, right? I've never even thought about importing a phone before, but this is also the first time I've really been interested in an Android product. For better or worse I need to stick with AT&T to keep my coveted unlimited data plan.

Oozer3993

Yeah- PANIC OVER!

I hate to break it to you, but, as far as I know, the Galaxy Nexus can't read USB storage. It supports USB Host Mode, but only so far as mice, keyboards, and game controllers. It cannot read USB flash drives.

So, assuming this phone isn't available on AT&T in the states, how might one go about getting it from another country? I assume it'll have the correct bands, right? I've never even thought about importing a phone before, but this is also the first time I've really been interested in an Android product. For better or worse I need to stick with AT&T to keep my coveted unlimited data plan.

It is what they refer to as a pentaband gsm phone.. it supports AT&T 3G/HSPA+ AND T-Mobile 3G/HSPA+.. so yes, an unlocked one from Europe would work on at&t..

There are really only a few ways to get one.. there are a number of companies that sell unlocked phones.. clove.co.uk, expansys-usa.com, handtec.co.uk..

I bought my galaxy S II from expansys-usa.. it was a bit more expensive, but it shipped from the US and I could use a US credit card without going through paypal.

masud

Banned
I really wanted this phone but I think I'm just gonna keep my Bionic. I've yet to find a suitable replacement for Zumocast. Plus the delays and lack of an sd card slot are turning me off. If there really isn't a 32 gb model that's gonna be the last straw.

pootle

I hate to break it to you, but, as far as I know, the Galaxy Nexus can't read USB storage. It supports USB Host Mode, but only so far as mice, keyboards, and game controllers. It cannot read USB flash drives.

Oh for fucks sake. Seriously? Gah, and I was all calm and happy again.

My question now is if otg will be patched in soon or if I can't buy the phone I have been planning on getting, and indeed have an order in for and should be getting next week, because google has decided against it having otg usb support.

So, since I need a new phone now (old one is on its last legs and pretty much dead) what's the best site to look for the newest ones available in the uk?

reKon

Banned
Ok so the only thing keeping from not getting the rezound now is the larger size, battery life, and the lack of ice scream sandwich.

Everything else about the phone seems great, especially the screen, audio quality, and camera - which are very important to me other than battery life. I know the performance is good too...

Adamm

So popped into Phones4u today & apparently they have had them for sale since Wednesday last week!

Selling them for £549.99($870!) sim free seems a bit steep, but luckily I was due for an contract upgrade :D

ahXC3.jpg

4ygnM.jpg

I havent been following this thread too closely, so maybe this is old news and alot of people already have them.
But anything you want me to check/test let me know :)

Renoir

I really wanted this phone but I think I'm just gonna keep my Bionic. I've yet to find a suitable replacement for Zumocast. Plus the delays and lack of an sd card slot are turning me off. If there really isn't a 32 gb model that's gonna be the last straw.

Ive been waiting for this phone for a while...
I don't even have a phone now that my OG droid is dead... just been waiting for this.
now this no 32gb vers. rumor is going around it sucks also Sd card slot .

Now i cant find which is best runner up for the GN.
rezound?...

Blackhead

Redarse
So popped into Phones4u today & apparently they have had them for sale since Wednesday last week!

Selling them for £549.99($870!) sim free seems a bit steep, but luckily I was due for an contract upgrade :D

http://i.imgur.com/ahXC3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4ygnM.jpg

I havent been following this thread too closely, so maybe this is old news and alot of people already have them.

What's the browser like without flash support? Does it get a decent fallback from sites? Try playing a Vimeo video, what are the controls like?

masud

Banned
Ive been waiting for this phone for a while...
I don't even have a phone now that my OG droid is dead... just been waiting for this.
now this no 32gb vers. rumor is going around it sucks also Sd card slot .

Now i cant find which is best runner up for the GN.
rezound?...

I would get the razr. The Bionic is good too, I bought it with the intention of selling it when the nexus came out but it's a really solid phone, Ive had no complaints. And Zumocast (allows you to stream and download media from your pc over 3g/4g) is a killer app, it's on the razr too.

Adamm

What's the browser like without flash support? Does it get a decent fallback from sites? Try playing a Vimeo video, what are the controls like?

Disappointed it doesn't have flash player, so far its the only thing i can complain about.

When I try to play a video on vimeo it tells me 'Playback not supported on this device, Click the later button to watch to watch this at another time'

:(

Although the browser itself is amazingly fast.

border

What advantages does this have over the Galaxy S2? What advantages does the S2 have over the Nexus? Assuming that S2 owners will eventually get ICS......

masud

Banned
Yeah the no flash thing seals it. No nexus for me. I don't understand how not having access to all the content on the internet is a good thing. Flash works flawlessly on my Bionic btw.

Renoir

they just want to anger you and piss on your face.
waiting this long for them to put out the 16gb with no sd card slot...
i have a feeling that in Jan they will realease the 32gb vers. with price hike...
MADNESS.

Congrats! I'm hopeful that Handtec will deliver tuesday. I'm not spending £30 more when I can wait for a few days longer :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes! I feel special :D

What phone did you have before for comparison's sake?

Can you feel you really notice the 720p resolution on the phone? Is the screen + resolution as phone god like as I think it might be?

PS: This is still a cluster even if the phone gets out in the next 2 weeks purely because it's Verizon only. I'm to the point where I abhor 1 carrier only for phones.

Adamm

What phone did you have before for comparison's sake?

Can you feel you really notice the 720p resolution on the phone? Is the screen + resolution as phone god like as I think it might be?

I had a nexus one before, so its a huge upgrade for me.
The screen is glorious, and seems huge compared to other phones ive seen. Its better than i was expecting, I coukd actually see myself watching a movie or tv episode on this, which i never thought i would say

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I had a nexus one before, so its a huge upgrade for me.
The screen is glorious, and seems huge compared to other phones ive seen. Its better than i was expecting, I coukd actually see myself watching a movie or tv episode on this, which i never thought i would say

How's the camera quality? Particularly in dimly lit rooms? If it's not much trouble can you post some pictures you've taken with it?

Top Bottom