• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

rabhw

Yowch. Bell/Virgin charging a premium?

It looks like ordering from the UK is the way to go.

Maybe, but there's also warranty considerations to think about. Dealing with a European warranty from across the ocean would be a nightmare.

I still don't even have a plan of attack. There's a lot of conflicting information on if Bell / Virgin will let you buy this phone outright without at least signing up for a month-to-month plan.

I might just go to a shopping mall on December 8th and go from store to store trying to find someone that will sell it off contract :/

zbeeb

Google removed the ability to sync contacts with Facebook because it violates their terms of service or some shit. There's a few apps on the marketplace that allow you to do it, but I don't know if it works the same way.

My galaxy s2 has facebook contact sync.. is this a touchwiz only thing?

In the facebook app you should be able to go to settings and under other settings, select sync contacts and choose your preference. It automatically matches contacts with matching names and you can manually join those that don't.

gcubed

My galaxy s2 has facebook contact sync.. is this a touchwiz only thing?

In the facebook app you should be able to go to settings and under other settings, select sync contacts and choose your preference. It automatically matches contacts with matching names and you can manually join those that don't.

thats touchwiz, they disabled it in vanilla google for a myriad of reasons, one being that it stores your entire contact list and numbers in facebook's server. not just the sync'ed ones, ALL of them

Maybe, but there's also warranty considerations to think about. Dealing with a European warranty from across the ocean would be a nightmare.

I still don't even have a plan of attack. There's a lot of conflicting information on if Bell / Virgin will let you buy this phone outright without at least signing up for a month-to-month plan.

I might just go to a shopping mall on December 8th and go from store to store trying to find someone that will sell it off contract :/
Well, yes, that makes sense for you since you're in Canada. I'm in the US, so either way, no warranty for me.

def sim

Any reputable credit card is going to initally deny a purchase from overseas that is $700

I understand but this wasn't an issue for me. It's more handtec's security checks even though my billing and shipping address are one and the same.

Handtec has contacted me (after numerous e-mails) and understands that my bank is unable to give me the information they need. As a compromise, they want a single picture ID verification which I'm fine with. Problem is that I've been toying with the idea of going 4s until next fall and now I'm seriously considering it after my initial order troubles and knowing the GN might still be lacking. Honestly, most of my concern is for that camera. Every single picture tells me it's significantly worse than the iPhone 4S and screams mid 2000 quality. I like to take lots of pictures when I'm out, even with my trash blackberry cam, so it's a big negative when my upgrade doesn't have much of an improvement. Zero shutter lag doesn't matter when I don't want to use the cam. Whatever, I'll know what I want by the end of the day.

Anyway, I've read that these sellers are receiving their shipment tomorrow and some are even getting it today. In any case, it looks like US customers are sure to get it this week.

gcubed

I understand but this wasn't an issue for me. It's more handtec's security checks even though my billing and shipping address are one and the same.

Handtec has contacted me (after numerous e-mails) and understands that my bank is unable to give me the information they need. As a compromise, they want a single picture ID verification which I'm fine with. Problem is that I've been toying with the idea of going 4s until next fall and now I'm seriously considering it after my initial order troubles and knowing the GN might still be lacking. Honestly, most of my concern is for that camera. Every single picture tells me it's significantly worse than the iPhone 4S and screams mid 2000 quality. I like to take lots of pictures when I'm out, even with my trash blackberry cam, so it's a big negative when my upgrade doesn't have much of an improvement. Zero shutter lag doesn't matter when I don't want to use the cam. Whatever, I'll know what I want by the end of the day.

Anyway, I've read that these sellers are receiving their shipment tomorrow and some are even getting it today. In any case, it looks like US customers are sure to get it this week.

wow, handtec delivers that fast to the US?

def sim

wow, handtec delivers that fast to the US?

From what I've heard from some buddies and read in other forums regarding the international GS2, their standard shipping to US (NYC) takes a single day before delivery. Dudes in the mid west and further will probably have to wait until next week though.

gcubed

Any details on the Galaxy Nexus 2?

We're getting to that point Verizon!

if all is right in the world Verizon will never get another one of these damn phones

From what I've heard from some buddies and read in other forums regarding the international GS2, their standard shipping to US (NYC) takes a single day before delivery. Dudes in the mid west and further will probably have to wait until next week though.

wow thats pretty impressive.

handtec sent my Galaxy Note overnight to me. (Atlanta, US)

ha, and here i am asking if you bought something pricey from overseas with google checkout

Blackhead

Redarse
Ice Cream Sandwich is a pretty big change.. Flash will need to be updated to support it.
Does the ICS browser support bookmarklets?

Really? Could you link to those comparison pictures?

def sim

Really? Could you link to those comparison pictures?

I found these comparison articles between the GS2 and GN camera while looking for some links.

GS2

GS2.jpg

GN

GN.jpg

Washed out and noticeably blurrier than the GS2 but nowhere near as bad as the user pics I saw in other forums. I really shouldn't trust random shaky mchand duders and their crap picture taking abilities. :/

Gabyskra

Banned
Lots of details lost in this comparison (although most people's impressions will rest on the difference in contrast, which is nothing but a slider away from being similar I assume)... Listening to Matias Duarte exposing Google's views on photography was so cringe-inducing ("white balance, ISO settings, etc, it's all crap, you need it to be an easy p&s without the need to figure anything out"), and I guess that's the result you get. I'd like my phones to have all options available at hand. Tons of people know how to use cameras. I don't think I care much in this instance, I'll probably get this phone if there's no ICS phone with a physical keyboard planned in the next few months.

derder

My contract with AT&T is up on January 16th. I'm currently on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

I'm thinking of buying the GS2 Skyrocket w/ contract and flashing ICS.

What would the difference between the phones be?

No notification LED and no 720p?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I found these comparison articles between the GS2 and GN camera while looking for some links.

GS2

GS2.jpg

GN

GN.jpg

Washed out and noticeably blurrier than the GS2 but nowhere near as bad as the user pics I saw in other forums. I really shouldn't trust random shaky mchand duders and their crap picture taking abilities. :/

The nighttime pictures from the nexus were surprisingly good in comparison, although kind of grainy. It's still disappointing to see that it's blurrier. Does the blurriness get better if you hold it longer for it to focus instead of taking the picture right away?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My contract with AT&T is up on January 16th. I'm currently on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

Nobody really know for sure right now, as it's too early. But at least a white version is avaliable:

ATT-Skyrocket-White.jpg

Circle T

AT&T has said that the Skyrocket (and Vivid) would officially be getting ICS, but they also said that a bunch of phones would be getting Gingerbread as well, and that has yet to happen. Custom ROMs will likely be your best bet at getting ICS any time soon. The Skyrocket is essentially an AT&T version of the T-Mobile GS II, so flashing a custom ICS ROM will be dependent on how well those 2 devices are supported.

Nobody really know for sure right now, as it's too early. But at least a white version is avaliable:

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/html/portal/news/0000020090//ATT-Skyrocket-White.jpg
UGH, Samsung!!! Please release the white G-Note already!!!

It looks like UK stores are getting enough stock to fill all backorders. Clove was telling people that orders placed today would ship on-time.

I think I will wait for a quality case to hit the market, before taking the $700 plunge.

Although, the USD to GBP currency exchange is at a recent low...

def sim

It looks like UK stores are getting enough stock to fill all backorders. Clove was telling people that orders placed today would ship on-time.

I think I will wait for a quality case to hit the market, before taking the $700 plunge.

Although, the USD to GBP currency exchange is at a recent low...

No kidding. I'm surprised to be paying just above $690. After seeing the unlocked pricing for Canada, I don't feel bad at all about my order.

Handtec Blog said:
21/11 Update: Good news! Stock is arriving into our warehouse later tonight. With the sheer amount of backorders we hope to clear all orders by Wednesday 23rd November. We have a large amount of stock arriving and any new orders should be shipped on the 23rd and 24th of November. Tracking will be sent via email upon dispatch.

Friday delivery for Beast Coasters is very possible.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
from handtec:

21/11 Update: Good news! Stock is arriving into our warehouse later tonight. With the sheer amount of backorders we hope to clear all orders by Wednesday 23rd November. We have a large amount of stock arriving and any new orders should be shipped on the 23rd and 24th of November. Tracking will be sent via email upon dispatch.

I am far, far too emotionally invested in this thread

edit: oh come on

rabhw

I gave in. Bought from handtec.

I called 3 BestBuys and all of them said they will under no circumstance sell the phone at the off-contract price without making you sign up for a Bell month-to-month plan. Which would mean paying $35 activation, then $50 for the first month of the plan.

I can't be bothered dealing with the sleazy carriers here in Canada. So I'll pay the extra $65 to Handtec if I have to, fuck Bell.

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
I gave in. Bought from handtec.

I called 3 BestBuys and all of them said they will under no circumstance sell the phone at the off-contract price without making you sign up for a Bell month-to-month plan. Which would mean paying $35 activation, then $50 for the first month of the plan.

I can't be bothered dealing with the sleazy carriers here in Canada. So I'll pay the extra $65 to Handtec if I have to, fuck Bell.

Good going. Come January and there is no news on the GSM model for the USA I will order from Handtec myself.

rozay

Banned
Yeah, maybe people take pictures faster than the camera can focus because of the lack of lag. Who knows.

Anyway, flash before the end of the year.
I find these kinds of color comparisons hard to judge because it's just as possible that the GS2's picture is more saturated than it is in real life. I remember plenty of people shit on the nokia N8's photos vs the iPhone 4 because apple added sharpening and color tweaks whereas the N8's pictures had a more natural (dull to general consumers I guess) look.

I haven't touched the phone yet but I have a feeling zero shutter lag will hurt photos more than it helps. Will be great if you've got steady hands or a tripod, but I don't have either of those when I'm using a cellphone.

I think I'll order from expansys usa once they have their stock..

I'd order from handtec, but I can't use my amex card and my photo ID doesn't have my current address on it.. so I think I'd have order security issues as well.

Adamm

Update on battery life after my first day of proper usage:

So far its been on for 11h 20m and i have 26% left.

Ive mainly being using it just for facebook, twitter & internet, also a few minutes of video and a few minutes of games.
I have also being using face regonition to unlock, so the front camera comes on every time i try to unlock it.
I have the screen brightness set to max & all syncing options set to default & have been connect through 3G all day.

zeTan.png

So i have probably used it slightly more than normal (being a new phone and all) but nothing major, so it comes up alot shorter in comparison to my nexus one as I would normally get to about this time of day with 50-60%

Update on battery life after my first day of proper usage:

So far its been on for 11h 20m and i have 26% left.

Ive mainly being using it just for facebook, twitter & internet, also a few minutes of video and a few minutes of games.
I have also being using face regonition to unlock, so the front camera comes on every time i try to unlock it.
I have the screen brightness set to max & all syncing options set to default & have been connect through 3G all day.

zeTan.png

So i have probably used it slightly more than normal (being a new phone and all) but nothing major, so it comes up alot shorter in comparison to my nexus one as I would normally get to about this time of day with 50-60%

If it can last a day, then it is good enough for me. Good news.

But you are using a 720p screen at max brightness most of that time. I bet if you used a more conservative screen setting then it would improve a good amount.

Adamm

But you are using a 720p screen at max brightness most of that time. I bet if you used a more conservative screen setting then it would improve a good amount.

Yeah, i never had my old phone set to max brightness - but just gave it a test run the first day to see how the battery went.

Circle T

Yeah, i never had my old phone set to max brightness - but just gave it a test run the first day to see how the battery went.
Click on "Screen" in that list, and let us know how much time the screen was on. That helps with estimating these things as well.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I cancelled my order. This volume down / mute issue is turning out to look more and more like a hardware fault than an ICS bug:

RF interference inside ICS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjARxvErjk

RF interference at the bootloader-level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Yeesh, that's pretty bad.

Whoa. Seriously, that looks bad.

It does appear to be a hardware issue, and if it is, it would make sense that Verizon wouldn't want to put it out yet.

Top Bottom