• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

rabhw

I concur. I still want the phone though.

This. I just couldn't risk dropping that amount of cash without knowing that the hardware is free from any major flaws. I learned my lesson with the N1's awful touchscreen. I couldn't imagine going 2 years having my volume going apeshit and not being able to do anything about it.

As usual it's impossible to get any response from Google / Samsung.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So it's the worst launch ever, and if you don't have Verizon you were already funked anyways in the US.

This is why Google needs to get to a point where when a new version of the OS is ready it pushes out to all the new phones coming in a close proximity. Then you aren't locked into something that could be a cluster such as this Samsung launch.

gcubed

This. I just couldn't risk dropping that amount of cash without knowing that the hardware is free from any major flaws. I learned my lesson with the N1's awful touchscreen. I couldn't imagine going 2 years having my volume going apeshit and not being able to do anything about it.

As usual it's impossible to get any response from Google / Samsung.

i dont sit around 2G phones, nor ever have my phone in a 2G area, so i'm not really worried

Pctx

Banned
So it's the worst launch ever, and if you don't have Verizon you were already funked anyways in the US.

This is why Google needs to get to a point where when a new version of the OS is ready it pushes out to all the new phones coming in a close proximity. Then you aren't locked into something that could be a cluster such as this Samsung launch.

Makes me wonder if there isn't something terrible hidden in ICS and why they are doing a slow launch by not including the US first. It sucks not being a beta tester but I sort of understand.

def sim

Fixed.

I think i will take my chances. My phone is on its last legs. Battery is dead, and screen is cracked.

I'm sure this isn't really going to be a problem unless everyone is rocking a feature phone around you, all up in your personal space. Most of us* are probably using this as an excuse to back out of a $700 phone with a sub-par camera.

*me

Adamm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I cancelled my order. This volume down / mute issue is turning out to look more and more like a hardware fault than an ICS bug:

RF interference inside ICS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjARxvErjk

RF interference at the bootloader-level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Yeesh, that's pretty bad.

Not that im saying these videos are lying - but i put my NG in Airplane mode & tried holding two different phones against it (including a N1 as shown in the video) and nothing happened.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

garath

Not that im saying these videos are lying - but i put my NG in Airplane mode & tried holding two different phones against it (including a N1 as shown in the video) and nothing happened.

Do you have the second phone actually doing anything? Because that's what would cause the interference. Make a phone call or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Turn off the 3G mode on your Nexus One and see if it still does it.

gcubed

yes, it needs to be a 2G call or data. Again, something that i don't think i've ever run into in 2 years of using a phone. Nor when i do on my phone have someone elses phone touching mine while also in a call

Adamm

Turn off the 3G mode on your Nexus One and see if it still does it.

Done.
Tested with Nexus one set to 2G only and tested with 2 old crappy Nokia phones that don't even have 3G.
Held them in every way possible receiving and making calls and still nothing.

garath

yes, it needs to be a 2G call or data. Again, something that i don't think i've ever run into in 2 years of using a phone. Nor when i do on my phone have someone elses phone touching mine while also in a call

There is that. Don't let your phone touch other phones. :)

rozay

Banned
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I cancelled my order. This volume down / mute issue is turning out to look more and more like a hardware fault than an ICS bug:

RF interference inside ICS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjARxvErjk

RF interference at the bootloader-level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Yeesh, that's pretty bad.

My order was already cancelled but now I am even more glad that I waited. I will wait to see if they fix this problem and if they bring out the 32GB, if not, I will go with the galaxy s2 and call it a day.

To be fair, I think the videos are intended to serve as proof that it's interface at a hardware level causing the volume issue; they're not test cases for normal usage.

People have reported the issue under everyday usage, though. So, who knows what else can trigger it.

There is that. Don't let your phone touch other phones. :)

Bu... But... What about BEAM!?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I can't even remember the last time I was around someone that used EDGE (2G) exclusively. Additionally, wasn't it using the 900mhz band? Can this even be produced in the US (since we use 850/1900)?

Still, damning error :l

rabhw

Oh, well now I feel kinda dumb for cancelling.

I wasn't sure which frequencies our EDGE networks run on here in Canada, whether it was the same as the 3g bands or different.

Ah well, I'll still wait a few days to see how this all pans out.

garath

I can only hope the LTE version of the phone does not share this flaw. Perhaps that's even the reason for the delay.

Still, enough things are screwy to be concerned about pre-ordering.

gcubed

To be fair, I think the videos are intended to serve as proof that it's interface at a hardware level causing the volume issue; they're not test cases for normal usage.

People have reported the issue under everyday usage, though. So, who knows what else can trigger it.

Bu... But... What about BEAM!?

all the other phones happened when using edge data or coming out of airplane mode. That, and its only a few phones as our very own GAF user has no problems with it

rabhw

all the other phones happened when using edge data or coming out of airplane mode. That, and its only a few phones as our very own GAF user has no problems with it

According to XDA:

Because Orange 2G operates at 1800Mhz frequency.

The bug only happens at the 900Mhz frequency that O2 and Vodafone use for 2G.

Orange, T-Mobile and 3 are unaffected.

If Adamm is on any of those 3 carriers, he won't see the issue.

pretty sure it was 900Mhz band and EDGE only that causes the problem.

I live in an area with great 3G coverage.. and EDGE is not on 900Mhz here.. so I think I would be exempt from that problem.

According to XDA:

Because Orange 2G operates at 1800Mhz frequency.

The bug only happens at the 900Mhz frequency that O2 and Vodafone use for 2G.

Orange, T-Mobile and 3 are unaffected.

If Adamm is on any of those 3 carriers, he won't see the issue.

Antenna-gate averted.

I need this phone in my life!

rozay

Banned
I honestly hope antennagate vol. 2 makes it to blogs ASAP. That's the only way to guarantee a fast response by google and samsung.

Nothing to do with the above quote, but I have a request from beyond the grave. Copernicus asks if you could install this replacement launcher 'WP7 home screen replacement' and using ICS new inbuilt screen shot capture take a snap of your home screen and put it on GAF?

I know, I know it's a WP7 launcher. On Android. It sucks ass. Copernicus has no taste and almost certainly the smallest penis known to internet forums. But he needs things like this to warm his bones and stave off his mini babybel addiction. Can you help?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm sure this isn't really going to be a problem unless everyone is rocking a feature phone around you, all up in your personal space. Most of us* are probably using this as an excuse to back out of a $700 phone with a sub-par camera.

*me

Ohh ok. Thought it was worse than that. I will go back to worrying about the damn release date.

The irony today is that Verizon probably delayed the launch of this phone in the US to make Samsung address issues they found with the phone. While they were motivated purely by business, after all, if you launch a device with known issues you will have a massive headache (as Apple discovered with Antennagate). So Verizon actually did the right thing for consumers by delaying the Galaxy Tuna. So ironic it's, well, ironic.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The irony today is that Verizon probably delayed the launch of this phone in the US to make Samsung address issues they found with the phone. While they were motivated purely by business, after all, if you launch a device with known issues you will have a massive headache (as Apple discovered with Antennagate). So Verizon actually did the right thing for consumers by delaying the Galaxy Tuna. So ironic it's, well, ironic.

Verizon uses CDMA though. They wouldn't even run into those issues in the videos.

gcubed

doubtful that a phone with a different radio has the same issue.

Adamm

Nothing to do with the above quote, but I have a request from beyond the grave. Copernicus asks if you could install this replacement launcher 'WP7 home screen replacement' and using ICS new inbuilt screen shot capture take a snap of your home screen and put it on GAF?

I know, I know it's a WP7 launcher. On Android. It sucks ass. Copernicus has no taste and almost certainly the smallest penis known to internet forums. But he needs things like this to warm his bones and stave off his mini babybel addiction. Can you help?

Looks horrible, is it suppose to?

http://i.imgur.com/FQl50.jpg

Top Bottom