• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Mafro

Hey, I'm trying to win one; I don't care about no volume bugs and release dates!

Here's my entry for the drawing one (I'm not an artist :/ ) http://i.imgur.com/7VIul.jpg

Love the little Jelly Bean Android at the top <3 Sort of looks like he's jizzing or something, though.

Samsung have posted this on their Facebook page:
Regarding the Galaxy Nexus, we are aware of the volume issue and have developed a fix. We will update devices as soon as possible.

rabhw

If anyone wants to ask questions fire away.

Can you comment on the smoothness of the UI in general? Things like swiping homescreens (ones with widgets on them, etc), opening the app drawer, scrolling lists, pinch to zoom in apps that support it, etc.

Do you notice any framerate drops or is it pretty smooth? I know this is subjective, just curious. :)

Can you comment on the smoothness of the UI in general? Things like swiping homescreens (ones with widgets on them, etc), opening the app drawer, scrolling lists, pinch to zoom in apps that support it, etc.

Do you notice any framerate drops or is it pretty smooth? I know this is subjective, just curious. :)

The homescreen scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen on Android. It's also extremely fast. There is no concession to speed on this phone. UI in general is very, very smooth. The dedicated apps designed for ICS like Gmail, SMS, G+ etc etc are iPhone levels of smoothness. You can force hardware acceleration on non ICS apps too and that had a definite impact on some apps, making them super smooth too (but not all, Google Reader for example). Pinch to zoom is smooth too as is scrolling in webpages. I've seen some slight frame rate drops when scrolling the preview widgets and sometimes the animations exiting the drawer (I'm not using the live wallpapers) but nothing that really impacts. Swiping away stuff is super smooth too. Responsiveness is excellent throughout. Only thing that is sometimes slow is the auto rotation, but whether that is in part due to how quick the rest of the phone is, as opposed to it actually being slow is another thing. I'll do a video tomorrow trying to show all of this.

VanWinkle

The homescreen scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen on Android. It's also extremely fast. There is no concession to speed on this phone. UI in general is very, very smooth. The dedicated apps designed for ICS like Gmail, SMS, G+ etc etc are iPhone levels of smoothness. You can force hardware acceleration on non ICS apps too and that had a definite impact on some apps, making them super smooth too (but not all, Google Reader for example). Pinch to zoom is smooth too as is scrolling in webpages. I've seen some slight frame rate drops when scrolling the preview widgets and sometimes the animations exiting the drawer (I'm not using the live wallpapers) but nothing that really impacts. Swiping away stuff is super smooth too. Responsiveness is excellent throughout. Only thing that is sometimes slow is the auto rotation, but whether that is in part due to how quick the rest of the phone is, as opposed to it actually being slow is another thing. I'll do a video tomorrow trying to show all of this.

Yeah, supposedly the auto rotation is slower to respond to prevent accidental screen orientation switching.

As someone who owns a DROIDX that rotates when you blink too strongly in its general vicinity, I like this feature.

The worst thing about the Droid X's auto-rotation is that it feels too slow when you purposely turn the phone and want it to rotate. Then when you're just tilting the phone a little bit when carrying it, then it rotates for no goddamn reason. God I've come to hate this fucking phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm typing on mine right now at the airport.

Oh god so good

But, coming from the Galaxy Note (which is in my pocket), the screen size is diminutive. But compared to that phone, everything is

thuway

I'm typing on mine right now at the airport.

Oh god so good

But, coming from the Galaxy Note (which is in my pocket), the screen size is diminutive. But compared to that phone, everything is

How is the Galaxy Note in terms of portability? Do you ever find it overbearing to fit into your pocket?

Oozer3993

The worst thing about the Droid X's auto-rotation is that it feels too slow when you purposely turn the phone and want it to rotate. Then when you're just tilting the phone a little bit when carrying it, then it rotates for no goddamn reason. God I've come to hate this fucking phone.
I think mine is actively trying to get me to hate it. It randomly reboots, the GPS sometimes goes on strike, and of course this damn auto rotate bug. I think it's jealous of my Nexus lust.

Adamm

Just got the volume bug, i was browsing GAF over 3G and suddenly my volume started going crazy.
Not sure what caused it, unless some one in the car beside me was using thier phone?

SimleuqiR

Adamm said:
Just got the volume bug, i was browsing GAF over 3G and suddenly my volume started going crazy.
Not sure what caused it, unless some one in the car beside me was using thier phone?

Sanity effects confirmed!! Almost feels like Silicon Knights had a part in developing this phone. Can't wait for the following bugs:

• Sounds, such as footsteps, women and children screaming, doors slamming, the rattling of chains and the sound of a blade being sharpened.
  • The player character finds him/herself walking upon the ceiling after entering a new room.
  • Walls and ceilings bleeding. Attacking them causes more effusion.
  • Appearance of large numbers of monsters that are not really there, and disappear when attacked.

Adamm

Just checked and apparently there are 2 mobile phone masts right beside where my phone started going crazy. Coincidence?

Edit: oops double post

nexus-side-compare.jpg

LTE vaporware version on the left; GSM one on the right.

LTE one gets bloatware, uglier color scheme and it's thicker.

This thing has FAIL written all over it.

nexus-side-compare.jpg

This thing has FAIL written all over it.

I agree, but then stepped back and thought about how ridiculous it sounds that we're all saying the LTE version is failboats because it is merely 0.57mm thicker... and grayer.

Husker86

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nexus-side-compare.jpg[/IMG

This thing has FAIL written all over it.[/QUOTE]

I think the darker color looks better. Also I can't even tell that it's thicker. The contrast in the HSPA+ one makes it look more thin, but that's just eye trickery.

edit: Ohhh, it's the middle band that's thicker. I can kind of see it now. I was looking at the back piece distance from the middle band originally.

Paznos

I agree, but then stepped back and thought about how ridiculous it sounds that we're all saying the LTE version is failboats because it is merely 0.57mm thicker... and grayer.

Yeah I agree.... just because it's slightly thicker and darker in color it's FAIL? lol okay.

The "bloatware" is just the My Verizon app and the Backup Assistant app that's hardly FAIL considering the My VZW app is somewhat useful.

I guess since it's coming out in December(the same time in Canada) makes the VZW version FAIL to right? The updates are coming from Google not Verizon.

Going by processing power, I think the GS2 will perform better. Also the fact that it has fewer pixels to push

I don't think there will be any difference. The extra processing power won't make it smoother because it doesn't require an insanely fast GPU/CPU combo, it just required hardware acceleration to be switched on. See WP7, iPhones etc. The GS2 might have an edge in speed but nobody will know until we have an official ICS rom running on it.

Paznos

are they though? I think the fear is that because it has a couple of pieces of Vzw software that any updates will be pushed through Vzw rather then google.

If the updates are going through Verizon it's not a Nexus phone at all, and I guess people would argue that since it has "bloatware" it's not a Nexus phone anyways but people in the know say the updates will go through Google and not Verizon.

Do we even know if that picture of the LTE GN is correct anyways since it's a picture of a render and the GSM picture is of the actual phone?

And, it's not out until December.

And, the battery life will be worse.

And, updates will come through Verizon.

1) I'll give you this one. The launch got botched by someone somewhere. Whether or not it's hardware related is yet to be determined. I'm assuming you're taking issue with the hardware?

2) LTE is fairly new, this is to be expected. If you wanted battery life, you should have considered it before waiting for this "vaporware" and just imported the GSM version. Also, if you want more battery life then that needs a bigger battery which means it has to be thicker. But if it's thicker then that's a problem. So make it thinner by making the battery smaller. But we want a bigger battery so it has to be thicker. But if it's thicker then...

Come back in a year or two. Maybe even longer. Battery technology hasn't made the technological leaps that transistors have in the same amount of time, and it's really showing now. Either we find a breakthrough new battery tech, or those chips become more power efficient. In this case, power efficient transmission at such high speeds is a little difficult, and the energy problem has more to do with physics and natural limits rather than how it is stored.

3) Root it?

I don't think there will be any difference. The extra processing power won't make it smoother because it doesn't require an insanely fast GPU/CPU combo, it just required hardware acceleration to be switched on. See WP7, iPhones etc. The GS2 might have an edge in speed but nobody will know until we have an official ICS rom running on it.

Probably no difference because if the GN can push it to "200fps" and GS2 can do "240fps", then it's moot.

Buuuuut, some application is going to be poorly written, and the GS2 will have more juice to pick up where the GN might not be able to.

I doubt we'll see this often though.

EDIT: doublepost whops

Pctx

Banned
Great, now we have Android infighting...we're doomed.

They did up it (though just shy of what you posted)

I wanna say it's 1800 something but I could be wrong. It's a tough sell on a phone of this stature to only go a day and having to charge it.

Which--- btw GN brethren, what is the consensus on how fast the phone charges? Is it slower than the GS2?

Also to the people wondering if they should hop on the GS2 or Skyrocket--- the speed difference you'll see between those two phones and the GN is the fact that the GN has GPU acceleration on it and the other two Sammy phones don't. You be the judge. <the more you know....>

I wanna say it's 1800 something but I could be wrong. It's a tough sell on a phone of this stature to only go a day and having to charge it.

Which--- btw GN brethren, what is the consensus on how fast the phone charges? Is it slower than the GS2?

Also to the people wondering if they should hop on the GS2 or Skyrocket--- the speed difference you'll see between those two phones and the GN is the fact that the GN has GPU acceleration on it and the other two Sammy phones don't. You be the judge. <the more you know....>

That's the thing though... what about GS2 w/ ICS? Then they will be pretty much be better than the GN performance wise.

Niks

So, taking into account that the GSII will eventually get ICS, the only thing the Nexus has over the GSII is the screen? Am I right?

If so, is the difference between both screens really that noticeable?

So, taking into account that the GSII will eventually get ICS, the only thing the Nexus has over the GSII is the screen? Am I right?

If so, is the difference between both screens really that noticeable?

Apparently, the screen technology is better on the GS2 (Super AMOLED+ vs just Super AMOLED), but GN has much higher pixel density and resolution, so the GN screen would look better overall despite that.

Other things include being the google phone so it'll receive the best software support.
NFC.
Faster camera (albeit probably worse quality)
notification led

no sd card slot

One thing I'm not sure of is the buttons. I don't know if ICS has the ability to disable the onscreen home, menu, and search buttons. If you can't then that will look really dumb on any phone other than the GN lol.

EDIT: you can disable them.

JonnyBrad

Apparently, the screen technology is better on the GS2 (Super AMOLED+ vs just Super AMOLED), but GN has much higher pixel density and resolution, so the GN screen would look better overall despite that.

Other things include being the google phone so it'll receive the best software support.
NFC.
Faster camera (albeit probably worse quality)
notification led
front facing camera
no sd card slot

One thing I'm not sure of is the buttons. I don't know if ICS has the ability to disable the onscreen home, menu, and search buttons. If you can't then that will look really dumb on any phone other than the GN lol.

Gs2 has a front facing camera.

Also you can disable the sw buttons on phones with Hw buttons

Anybody thinking a GS2 is going to be better than the nexus to a noticable degree on ICS is kidding themselves. This thing is blazing fast. If you are debating between a GS2 and a Nexus then the screen kills that argument every time. Not to mention the updates, no ugly touchwiz and the non physical buttons. If you can afford it go Nexus every time.

Top Bottom