• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

outsidah

Well I preorderered from Handtec late October and paid in full and after several issues Handtec's shipping department mixed up the order in which to ship out the GN's. They mislead customers into thinking they received all their stock earlier this week only to say today they expect more Friday. Forget it. Enough jerking around.

Order canceled.

Placed order with Expansys. Expect my phone by Friday.

gcubed

Haha. It's really not that serious. I don't know why the Verizon faithful are so sensitive.

Verizon faithful need to realize their company is scum. They almost ensared me but this entire thing turned me off of them completely.

Well I preorderered from Handtec late October and paid in full and after several issues Handtec's shipping department mixed up the order in which to ship out the GN's. They mislead customers into thinking they received all their stock earlier this week only to say today they expect more Friday. Forget it. Enough jerking around.

Order canceled.

Placed order with Expansys. Expect my phone by Friday.

Yea, I'm not too impressed with handtec during all of this. Not sure if they didn't really have enough stock or just their insane overreaction to stopping everyone's orders. Makes them look like a bunch of amateurs, which I know they aren't.

def sim

All this waiting around is making me consider another cancellation. I have to give back my loaner iPhone 4 tomorrow so I might end up cracking and just go 4S. Damn it handtec, I need a phone on black Friday.

Pctx

Banned
So where is the easiest place to order this using a CC or Google checkout from the US with the fastest shipping?

Husker86

Verizon faithful need to realize their company is scum. They almost ensared me but this entire thing turned me off of them completely.

Yea, I'm not too impressed with handtec during all of this. Not sure if they didn't really have enough stock or just their insane overreaction to stopping everyone's orders. Makes them look like a bunch of amateurs, which I know they aren't.

Meh, there's no other choice. Verizon has the largest 4G network and I have unlimited 4G. Not much to be done but wait...

masud

Banned
You guys have no idea who's gonna handle the updates, no idea what software is gonna come bundled with the phone and have no idea why the phone was delayed...

SMH

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You guys have no idea who's gonna handle the updates, no idea what software is gonna come bundled with the phone and have no idea why the phone was delayed...

SMH
1. Google pushes out the updates, unless you're tied with Verizon
2. No extra software, its a google device
3. It hasn't been delayed...unless your with Verizon
4. Screenshots have confirmed VZW software

Its always been like this son

masud

Banned
Google pushes out software on Nexus phones, this is the first Nexus phone on verizon. So we have no idea.

We've seen pictures of the apps on the phone we have no idea if they can be uninstalled or not. Again the my vzw app is availble on the market and can be installed/uninstalled on phones that do have bloatware. I dont think its baked into any of the droids that vzw has released so far.

And the lte nexus is a diffrent piece of hardware that could have been delayed by Samsung, Google or vzw. Again we have no idea.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Everyone here is talking about the gsm version anyway, vzw nexus is vzw's nexus, so why wouldn't they be the one delaying it?

masud

Banned
And why shouldn't carriers approve updates? Theyre the ones that provide tech support for these devices and it's their customers that get pissed off and cancel service if the devices dont work. Doing it any other way would be bad businesses imo even if it pisses off some phone nerds that should know how to root thier phones anyway...
But again we have no idea whats actually gonna happen

Circle T

Meh, there's no other choice. Verizon has the largest 4G network and I have unlimited 4G. Not much to be done but wait...
Yup. Getting a Nexus with LTE, in my opinion, is worth waiting for. And I really don't care about "bloatware" or who will be pushing the "Official" updates to the device. I will almost certainly be running a custom ROM, so none of that will matter.

def sim

And why shouldn't carriers approve updates? Theyre the ones that provide tech support for these devices and it's their customers that get pissed off and cancel service if the devices dont work. Doing it any other way would be bad businesses imo even if it pisses off some phone nerds that should know how to root thier phones anyway...
But again we have no idea whats actually gonna happen

this is the first time i've heard someone defend carrier updates. what benefit would the customer have in that at all?

none is the right answer

Unless it's Verizon and it's what they're known for.

Known for what? My Droid X was one of the first phones out there which didn't ship with Gingerbread to get an official GB update. Granted, it was buggier than shit (like all Moto's devices), but it got GB long before a lot of other devices.

I don't get the paranoia about My Verizon and Backup Assistant, either. Do you people even know what My Verizon is? It's an app for managing your Verizon account from your phone. It's actually pretty useful for people with tiered data because it includes a widget that you can plop on your launcher that shows your data usage. As for Backup Assistant, it's an app that lets you backup your contacts list to Verizon's cloud. This is really fucking goddamned useful if you aren't letting Google have all your contacts already, and even if you are, there's no good reason why having another backup in the cloud is a bad thing, especially if you find your phone immersed in the sink full of water one day and need to (temporarily) use a backup or replacement phone which happens to be a dumbphone.

Seeing the people having aneurysms over Verizon and the Tuna is really quite amusing, though.

masud

Banned
this is the first time i've heard someone defend carrier updates. what benefit would the customer have in that at all?

none is the right answer

They would be certian that the update wouldnt cause complications on thier phones. Why do you think carriers delay updates in the first place?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't get the paranoia about My Verizon and Backup Assistant, either. Do you people even know what My Verizon is? It's an app for managing your Verizon account from your phone. It's actually pretty useful for people with tiered data because it includes a widget that you can plop on your launcher that shows your data usage. As for Backup Assistant, it's an app that lets you backup your contacts list to Verizon's cloud. This is really fucking goddamned useful if you aren't letting Google have all your contacts already, and even if you are, there's no good reason why having another backup in the cloud is a bad thing, especially if you find your phone immersed in the sink full of water one day and need to (temporarily) use a backup or replacement phone which happens to be a dumbphone.
Whether the preinstalled apps are useful is besides the point. The fact is the apps are on a Nexus phone.

rozay

Banned
They would be certian that the update wouldnt cause complications on thier phones. Why do you think carriers delay updates in the first place?
Lol

Are you implying that carrier delayed updates aren't buggy? That certainly isn't the case, just look at the Samsung fascinate or the thunderbolt.

I have no problem with Verizon requiring update testing on their network but it isnt efficient at all. There is no need for testing to take that long.

Husker86

Lol

Are you implying that carrier delayed updates aren't buggy? That certainly isn't the case, just look at the Samsung fascinate or the thunderbolt.

I have no problem with Verizon requiring update testing on their network but it isnt efficient at all. There is no need for testing to take that long.

Direct updates can very much break devices, look at the latest Galaxy Tab update that broke wireless. I'm not for carrier's own testing, but I can't say I blame them considering how incompetent some manufacturers are with testing.

Edit: This response fit better with the previous post on this topic but I'll leave this one quoted anyway.

masud

Banned
Can i get the source for this preinstalled app stuff? Also if backup assistant is baked into the nexus then there wouldnt be a visable app for it, it would be built into the account settings, so if they saw a backup assistant app on the phone its probably similar to the app on my moms lg ally which can be uninstalled. If u guys are complaining about vzw putting apps on the phone that u can uninstall without rooting then i dont know what to say...

masud

Banned
Lol

No i wasnt, its impossible to anticipate every bug that could arise once hundreds of thousands of people start using the phone. And if anything the fact that the sw is often still buggy means that theyre not taking long enough.

outsidah

Yeah I actually like the company but they dropped the ball big time on this one. I didn't want to go deeper into the story but it's sad I could get a phone en route to me in minutes from Expansys while they couldn't get their stuff together. Trust me I gave them opportunity to do so.

I even had a tracking number with a phone that was supposed to get to me yesterday by 10:30am.

Circle T

Can i get the source for this preinstalled app stuff? Also if backup assistant is baked into the nexus then there wouldnt be a visable app for it, it would be built into the account settings, so if they saw a backup assistant app on the phone its probably similar to the app on my moms lg ally which can be uninstalled. If u guys are complaining about vzw putting apps on the phone that u can uninstall without rooting then i dont know what to say...
The source is Google themselves. At about 5 seconds into the video, watch when they open the app drawer. You can clearly see the 2 apps in question....

http://youtu.be/kpSPr9qfsNQ

masud

Banned
The source is Google themselves. At about 5 seconds into the video, watch when they open the app drawer. You can clearly see the 2 apps in question....

http://youtu.be/kpSPr9qfsNQ

Ok then we can be almost certain that backup assistant can be uninstalled like any other app because if it couldnt there wouldnt be an icon for it. The my verizon app will almost certianly be the same way.

Cool beans.

Circle T

Ok then we can be almost certain that backup assistant can be uninstalled like any other app because if it couldnt there wouldnt be an icon for it. The my verizon app will almost certianly be the same way.

Cool beans.
Until someone gets one of the VZW ones in-hand, we won't know for sure. Carrier-installed apps, especially brand-specific ones, are notoriously uninstallable. At least, not without rooting.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Quit knocking on Verizon, don't you know they're one of the most innovative companies in America?

meTeo.png

def sim

No i wasnt, its impossible to anticipate every bug that could arise once hundreds of thousands of people start using the phone. And if anything the fact that the sw is often still buggy means that theyre not taking long enough.

apple and ios do it just fine, for the most part google as well. id rather place quality control on the company creating the software than a carrier who wants to test it on their own apps.

i still don't see how anyone would prefer waiting weeks or months for an update rather than instantly. im not even knocking on verizon, carrier updates just blow in general

rinse82

Fucking Rogers man...

Found a buyer for my iPhone4 so now I dont know what to do. I have a work Bold 9900 that could tide me over till Jan (provided no delays), or get the SII LTE right now.

If i wait for the Nexus its going to suck using the bb for a month-2 months. I use my ip4 to tether my wifi ipad on the train to/from work everyday.

Dazzla

Is anyone able to swipe down on the lock screen? I dont have any security set up, just swipe but i have no sim card. Maybe thats it?

Mafro

UUUURRRGH!
Handtec said:
24/11 We understand that stock has been delayed by Samsung. This effects all sim free retailers in the UK. Distribution is stating stock to arrive in the week commencing 28th November. We believe this delay is due to the volume issue/bug. We endeavour to keep you updated and apologise for the delay.

If you have any queries please email us on info@handtec.co.uk

Angst

So glad I bought an SGSII instead of waiting. No release date for Norway yet and I would have been stuck with my HTC Hero for what would have felt like an eternity

Top Bottom