• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

UUUURRRGH!

Either expansys is shut down for the week or they pulled their stock as they no longer are showing stock available when they had quite a bit yesterday. Either way seems like the "we have a fix" was a hardware fix

Drfunk what's the ATT speeds like?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Either expansys is shut down for the week or they pulled their stock as they no longer are showing stock available when they had quite a bit yesterday. Either way seems like the "we have a fix" was a hardware fix

I'm in Leavenworth Kansas at the moment:

5.50 down
1.13 up

I'll test speeds in Atlanta when I get back

would be interesting if Samsung is doing a recall.. Could be that samsung wants to have that update from google installed prior to doing additional shipments.. or they could be doing a stealth hardware fix and a software update..

Mine should still get here on Friday.. it's in memphis, TN right now..

So glad I bought an SGSII instead of waiting. No release date for Norway yet and I would have been stuck with my HTC Hero for what would have felt like an eternity
Your fault for buying the Hero in the first place. Bad decision begets bad decision, I guess.

Every tech blog posted their listing yesterday, and the stock fell from 100+ to Out of Stock in an hour or so.

Pctx

Banned
http://m.bgr.com/2011/11/24/att-withdraws-fcc-application-for-t-mobile-merger/

Welp, now that it seems T-mobile will not get dissolved by AT&T, I'm already looking into a new two year contract with them to use this badboy. But I will wait until January. Still hoping this exclusivity in the states is no more than two months after officially launched.

DT is still going to unload the expanded LTE frequencies of which T-mobile further garbage and lower rung than Sprint. I just don't get why people are happy about this since T-mobile's course will run itself out and will file for bankruptcy in the next 2-4 years anyways since they won't be able to compete with the larger carriers.

DT is still going to unload the expanded LTE frequencies of which T-mobile further garbage and lower rung than Sprint. I just don't get why people are happy about this since T-mobile's course will run itself out and will file for bankruptcy in the next 2-4 years anyways since they won't be able to compete with the larger carriers.
Definitely not true. Their market position may have stagnated, but they are still posting profit and subscriber gains each quarter, even if it is tiny.

Sprint, on the hand, is consistently posting losses, and their gamble on WiMax blew up in their face.

Of the two, Sprint is in worse shape. Ironically, if the T-Mobile merger goes through, Sprint is screwed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So wrong. See you in 2-4 years.

Guys as promised I'm uploading a video to Youtube. It's gonna take a while to upload. It's mostly me talking about performance of the OS in general. I also took some shots to test the camera quality, testing pre and post touch to focus. I'll see If I can show you them here :)

Pctx

Banned
Definitely not true. Their market position may have stagnated, but they are still posting profit and subscriber gains each quarter, even if it is tiny.

Sprint, on the hand, is consistently posting losses, and their gamble on WiMax blew up in their face.

Of the two, Sprint is in worse shape. Ironically, if the T-Mobile merger goes through, Sprint is screwed.

I can tell you Tmo reps i know arent happy about the FCCs decision.

Yeah! Can't wait!

https://plus.google.com/102620756651814313200/posts/9PvwzQ45NNz

Here's a link to some photos I took. They aren't of anything spectacular, I'm thinking of getting out and about to do some proper tests tomorrow.

Check the comments for each one and it tells you about whether I've applied touch to focus or non touch to focus;

If you don't touch to focus shots will come out blurrier, but seeing as you can shoot instantaneously just take a bunch of shots and one will almost certainly come out just fine.

https://plus.google.com/102620756651814313200/posts/9PvwzQ45NNz

Here's a link to some photos I took. They aren't of anything spectacular, I'm thinking of getting out and about to do some proper tests tomorrow.

Check the comments for each one and it tells you about whether I've applied touch to focus or non touch to focus;

If you don't touch to focus shots will come out blurrier, but seeing as you can shoot instantaneously just take a bunch of shots and one will almost certainly come out just fine.
Awesome thanks for those shots, camera looks actually pretty good outdoors. Focus on the macro made a big difference

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Big difference using touch to focus. Thanks.

That was great. Best showcase video of the phones performance I've seen so far. Cheers for that.

No worries. I wanted to focus on the speed and fluidity ICS offers, because it was the one thing that has always tempted me to go iPhone or WP7. Not features, because Android has always trumped the other mobile OS's in flexibility and power, but it was a little like the ugly cousin. That's massively remedied in Android 4.0. I could have done a comparison video between that and the Xoom to show you that even compared to Honeycomb it's so more responsive and smoother.

reKon

Banned
haven't watched that hands on video yet, but for anyone who has the nexus, let me know about audio quality, especially with google music

Review is up on Engadget

Funny, the pictures in this review look amazing unlike in most of the other reviews. If my pictures would come out like that I really wouldn't have a problem with the camera in this phone at all.

Anyway, it's the 16GB of memory that is really pushing me away of this phone now, as I also see that battery life is not so bad. Any of you guys know of any solution for this? do you really think that cloud storage will make this a non issue in the near future?

And very good video, OriginalThinking! You should start your own tech blog :)

Funny, the pictures in this review look amazing unlike in most of the other reviews. If my pictures would come out like that I really wouldn't have a problem with the camera in this phone at all.

Anyway, it's the 16GB of memory that is really pushing me away of this phone now, as I also see that battery life is not so bad. Any of you guys know of any solution for this? do you really think that cloud storage will make this a non issue in the near future?

Besides HD video, what do you guys use 16GB for anyway? Do you have to store your entire music collection on your phone? 16GB is plenty.

If I had the time I would!

Besides HD video, what do you guys use 16GB for anyway? Do you have to store your entire music collection on your phone? 16GB is plenty.

I have to be honest and say that I have never owned a smartphone, so I really don't know how much is 16GB (more like 13.5GB from what I read) in terms of how much stuff I will be able to keep in it, but it just doesn't seem too much.

I listen to a lot of different music all the time and I have an iPod classic of 120GB that I always carry with me with all my collection so if I go for the nexus I think I will be forced to keep always both with me. I could settle with 8-10 gigs or so of my most listened music, but then I don't think I will be able to have many apps and games with the memory left. If cloud music storage would work really good (no idea if it does or not) then all this would be a non-issue but we don't even have google music in europe yet, for example.

I don't know what to do, really.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I have to be honest and say that I have never owned a smartphone, so I really don't know how much is 16GB (more like 13.5GB from what I read) in terms of how much stuff I will be able to keep in it, but it just doesn't seem too much.

I listen to a lot of different music all the time and I have an iPod classic of 120GB that I always carry with me with all my collection so if I go for the nexus I think I will be forced to keep always both with me. I could settle with 8-10 gigs or so of my most listened music, but then I don't think I will be able to have many apps and games with the memory left. If cloud music storage would work really good (no idea if it does or not) then all this would be a non-issue but we don't even have google music in europe yet, for example.

I don't know what to do, really.

You can still get google music. You just need to download hotspot shield when you sign up for it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
No worries. I wanted to focus on the speed and fluidity ICS offers, because it was the one thing that has always tempted me to go iPhone or WP7. Not features, because Android has always trumped the other mobile OS's in flexibility and power, but it was a little like the ugly cousin. That's massively remedied in Android 4.0. I could have done a comparison video between that and the Xoom to show you that even compared to Honeycomb it's so more responsive and smoother.
Seems like it, indeed.

rozay

Banned
To the person who asked a while ago if the launcher can go in landscape, I just saw this on xda:
WOO3g.jpg

It's the stock launcher, apparently only works when hooked up via HDMI though...wonder why that's the case.

VPhys

So a new dilemma arises today.

With black Friday deals, I can currently upgrade to the Htc rezound for $50. Is the Galaxy nexus worth $250 more than the rezound? Rezound has higher ppi, micro sd slot. Nexus is thinner and has ICS.

Think I'm going for the rezound.

alternade

just saw this on droidforums. doing more investigating:

ztCOY.jpg

EDIT: i clicked 'learn more' on the add, and the nexus doesn't show up anywhere. Verizon is so fucking bad at this.
If you click the ad it leads to black Fridays deals page but the URL ends with 111129-holiday Samsung.

11/29/11? Is it realeasing early because it only has 16gb?

Adamm

I feel bad now - All i did when I got my phone was answer a few questions & took a few crappy photos in the dark.
OriginalThinking went all out and made an 18 minute video!

:(

I feel bad now - All i did when I got my phone was answer a few questions & took a few crappy photos in the dark.

there's no need for everyone to do that, though.

Mine should be here today, so excited!

Dude!! 18 minutes?!! Damn! Thanks! Sipping some wine while watching the video...tasty (the wine too).

Can't pin point your accent though...Manchester?

Manchester? Ha! I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland! It isn't the thickest Scottish accent because I'm on the east coast and a lowlander. Further west you go the accent gets thicker and coarser and the further north you go... well things start to get weird!

Wouldn't worry about it! I'm on holiday so I had the time and inclination. If I'd been working I probably wouldn't have got around to it.

great video man thanks! One question I had for you is if you had tried out the browser quick actions I think its called? Just curious if thats useful at all.

I have used the quick browser actions on Honeycomb (where I loved them), but on ICS they are far more limited - you have menu, tab page and web search/address. Plus whereas the bezel on a tablet makes them a natural fit, it feels weird sliding my hand in over the side on this because the bezel is so slight. Maybe it's the kind of thing I'll get used to but it suits tablets way more than phones.

Top Bottom