• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Mafro

Excellent video, OriginalThinking. As a Fifer I recognised that accent straight away. Manchester? Really?!

For those still waiting on a Handtec order:
24/11 We understand that stock has been delayed by Samsung. This effects all sim free retailers in the UK. Distribution is stating stock to arrive in the week commencing 28th November. We believe this delay is due to the volume issue/bug. We endeavour to keep you updated and apologise for the delay.

Update A) We understand that this delay from Samsung UK is causing inconvenience – As a gesture of good will Handtec will be upgrading all orders to ‘expedited delivery’ where possible once stock arrives.
If you have any queries please email us on info@handtec.co.uk

SimleuqiR

Manchester? Ha! I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland! It isn't the thickest Scottish accent because I'm on the east coast and a lowlander. Further west you go the accent gets thicker and coarser and the further north you go... well things start to get weird!

Wouldn't worry about it! I'm on holiday so I had the time and inclination. If I'd been working I probably wouldn't have got around to it.

I have used the quick browser actions on Honeycomb (where I loved them), but on ICS they are far more limited - you have menu, tab page and web search/address. Plus whereas the bezel on a tablet makes them a natural fit, it feels weird sliding my hand in over the side on this because the bezel is so slight. Maybe it's the kind of thing I'll get used to but it suits tablets way more than phones.

Yeah...Not thick at all. But after you mentioned it I can't unhear it ^_^

Why is Fedex not here yet?

I had planned to spend all morning playing with my galaxy nexus.. but they're throwing a wrench into that plan by not showing up.. clever bastards.. they'll wait until i leave the house for food or something and then show up.. it's just the fedex way..

outsidah

It's finally here...

IMG_20111125_125920.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys who already have it are all assholes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
omg watching OT's video.
This phone is amazatron.

VPhys

I gave up and got the Rezound for $50. Verizon can screw themselves.

Why was the US 6 months after Europe with the Galaxy SII? And now the delay with the Nexus, it's so frustrating.

outsidah

You guys who already have it are all assholes.

I am very impressed. Everything is so damn smooth and well thought out.

Faceunlock while not really secure, is awesome. I can have the phone to the left of me lets say and just hit unlock, quickly glance at it, and it unlocks. Very nice.

Just got mine too..

i'm impressed especially with how manageable the phone is size wise. I'd expect a phone with a display that size to be uncomfortable, but it's really not.

edit -

They weren't kidding about the data speed.. I got over 4Mbps from AT&T.. when I typically only used to get 1.2Mbps before I used this device..

Zeppu

Just watched your video OT. Thanks a lot.

Check if the browser shows a bookmarks shortcut when you're in landscape mode.

Just watched your video OT. Thanks a lot.

Check if the browser shows a bookmarks shortcut when you're in landscape mode.

It doesn't :-(

In fairness if you go to the address bar and type in the first few letters of the website it shows up as a bookmark at the top of the suggestions. I usually use that.

It doesn't :-(

In fairness if you go to the address bar and type in the first few letters of the website it shows up as a bookmark at the top of the suggestions. I usually use that.

It does show up while in the "tabs" interface, though.. so it is pretty easy to open up a favorite on a new tab while you're in there.

edit -

Also, I just have to say that the audio on this phone sounds quite good..

I guess we'll have to wait for a tear-down before we know what DAC (digital to analog converter) chip they have in it..

gcubed

does anyone even have stock anymore, the pull back (what I'm gathering is fixing the issue) has killed places with reasonable prices. I'm just going to keep telling myself I'm getting a better phone due to the delay. Its going to fix an issue (even though I'd never hit it).

rabhw

does anyone even have stock anymore, the pull back (what I'm gathering is fixing the issue) has killed places with reasonable prices. I'm just going to keep telling myself I'm getting a better phone due to the delay. Its going to fix an issue (even though I'd never hit it).

When I spoke to handtec live support 2 days ago they said they have a pretty large backorder with Samsung which should cover all current orders (as of 2 days ago at least). Next week is the week, and we get upgraded to priority shipping, so that's good too!

How does the glass compare to a gorilla glass phone? Gorilla glass is my favorite thing. I have an iPod and I hate the glass, and I would hate to hate the Nexus' glass.

gcubed

When I spoke to handtec live support 2 days ago they said they have a pretty large backorder with Samsung which should cover all current orders (as of 2 days ago at least). Next week is the week, and we get upgraded to priority shipping, so that's good too!

International shipping from them is overnight anyway so unfortunately we didn't get anything special. Looking at the videos here I can't wait. I soooo want ICS on my Xoom, it should be soon if the transformer is releasing with it in 2 weeks

Mafro

Handtec said:
25/11 Update: Samsung Distribution is stating that units are currently being ‘flashed’ to fix any issues – deliveries should commence in the week commencing 28th November. Please note this is information from Samsung Distribution and not Samsung directly
Wooo!

It's glass. Feels great, will break just like other glass with brand names when dropped at the wrong angle.
I'm not talking about if it will break. If you had an iPod, you'd know what I mean. I mean can you wipe fingerprints off with your shirt and will they actually come off and not just smear all over, and will your glass not end up with all kinds of tiny scratches a week after use.

reKon

Banned
^ that's a razr... this is a nexus topic. Speaking of razr, I finally saw one in person and the phone feels really nice and the screen looks better than other motorola phones IMO. Everything was just smooth and it didn't feel too big in my hands. I'd rather have something that size or a little smaller rather than the iphone 4 size.

I was talking to a Verizon employee and she was explaining how Verizon is the slowest in terms of testing new phones compared to the other companies before release so that's definitely the reason the Nexus has been pushed back (yeah ok).

If the Nexus if being held back because this, how to Verizon explain all the other F ups like with Droid X's freezing??

thespot84

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/...178420-50-to-spend-on-any-device-or-accessory

if you're bold enough to believe the nexus will be out this year. I believe this is in-store only.

I'm guessing

a) vzw, since they're so fond of fucking customers over, we'll use the 'not valid with any other promotions' and give you the choice between this and your new every two, if you're up for upgrade.

b) I'll get more than $25 off and free shit if i buy it at costco.

I think VZW's marketing department should be sent to gitmo at this point.

I'm not talking about if it will break. If you had an iPod, you'd know what I mean. I mean can you wipe fingerprints off with your shirt and will they actually come off and not just smear all over, and will your glass not end up with all kinds of tiny scratches a week after use.

Glass seems fine. No smeary fingerprints, no scratches. I had a Nexus S and never once scratched the screen and I would regularly put the phone in the same pocket as my keys.

^ that's a razr... this is a nexus topic. Speaking of razr, I finally saw one in person and the phone feels really nice and the screen looks better than other motorola phones IMO. Everything was just smooth and it didn't feel too big in my hands. I'd rather have something that size or a little smaller rather than the iphone 4 size.

I was talking to a Verizon employee and she was explaining how Verizon is the slowest in terms of testing new phones compared to the other companies before release so that's definitely the reason the Nexus has been pushed back (yeah ok).

If the Nexus if being held back because this, how to Verizon explain all the other F ups like with Droid X's freezing??

Not the reason for the delay. Verizon had 3 massive phones all out at the same time and didn't want to cannibalise sales. The Rezound, Nexus and Razr at the same time? Too much. So they delayed the Nexus until the Xmas period to allow the Droid Razr and Rezound a fighting chance. Cos if It was out at the same time, at the same price point almost everyone with their head screwed on would buy the Nexus.

rozay

Banned

Posted that because I was being an ass and assumed he was just someone groaning that gorilla glass isn't on the spec sheet. Sorry :(

If it's anything like the glass on the nexus S, it won't have tiny scratches everywhere. If you're referring to those old iPods, those used soft plastic and not glass which is why they looked like shit within the first 5 minutes.

Really don't think you should be worried about that.

reKon

Banned
Glass seems fine. No smeary fingerprints, no scratches. I had a Nexus S and never once scratched the screen and I would regularly put the phone in the same pocket as my keys.

Nice... good video overview btw. Really surprised about what you said about the quality of the screen.

Nice... good video overview btw. Really surprised about what you said about the quality of the screen.

What surprised you about it? Super Amoled has been class leading along with IPS displays for a while now. When it comes to contrast, having perfect blacks is the holy grail and that's what Samsung delivered. Plus at 720p on such a small screen.... just makes it stand out more so. It's like somebody went to the future, took a slice of an ultra high res super amoled TV and put it in a phone. That good. I'm sure Samsung will refine the technology yet further to deliver Super Amoled + screens over 720p within the next year, which will raise the bar again - but after that I'm not sure how screens can get much better (better colour accuracy maybe, but to your average consumer they won't notice that kind of thing anyway)

Thank you so much for this, finally someone who understands what we want to see in a video like this!

Can't wait for the Canadian release on Rogers.

ewwwwwwww. I hate that company so much. Is it any chance it will work with wind or moblicity? If it is coming to T-mobile in usa it will. I am still more intrested in SG2 with ics than nexus.

Cudder

ewwwwwwww. I hate that company so much. Is it any chance it will work with wind or moblicity? If it is coming to T-mobile in usa it will. I am still more intrested in SG2 with ics than nexus.
Why would i want shitty cell coverage? Do you realize that any money you're saving on plans means nothing when you're confined to using your phone in certain sections of a city?

I couldn't take that.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why would i want shitty cell coverage? Do you realize that any money you're saving on plans means nothing when you're confined to using your phone in certain sections of a city?

I couldn't take that.

I've never had any problems with wind. Works perfectly fine for me, and I save like 20-30 bucks a month with my cheapass unlimited plan.

Cudder

I've never had any problems with wind. Works perfectly fine for me, and I save like 20-30 bucks a month with my cheapass unlimited plan.
Exactly,but step outside the home zone and you'll be paying out the ass. Not worth it to me, I'd rather just have Canada wide service.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Exactly,but step outside the home zone and you'll be paying out the ass. Not worth it to me, I'd rather just have Canada wide service.

Well I guess if you never leave the home zone, then it's not going to be an issue. Otherwise, yeah it'd get expensive pretty fast.

reKon

Banned
What surprised you about it? Super Amoled has been class leading along with IPS displays for a while now. When it comes to contrast, having perfect blacks is the holy grail and that's what Samsung delivered. Plus at 720p on such a small screen.... just makes it stand out more so. It's like somebody went to the future, took a slice of an ultra high res super amoled TV and put it in a phone. That good. I'm sure Samsung will refine the technology yet further to deliver Super Amoled + screens over 720p within the next year, which will raise the bar again - but after that I'm not sure how screens can get much better (better colour accuracy maybe, but to your average consumer they won't notice that kind of thing anyway)

I know it's impressive technology, but you said that the scree on this phone was better than ANY other device you used whether being mobile or on bigger things like tablets and monitors..

masud

Banned
So I officially stopped waiting last night and used my upgrade on that free red incredible 2 for my girlfriend. I have another upgrade in march, I'm sure Verizon will have something better than the nexus by then. My bionic will be fine for now.

Top Bottom