• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

hey bitches.

I just handtec'd the fuck out of the nexus. I fully blame OriginalThinking for convincing me. Leave me a space on the bandwagon plz.

Feep

Banned
Someone please describe

1) How difficult it will be to obtain this phone in the United States before Christmas, and
2) How one would go about it.

hey bitches.

I just handtec'd the fuck out of the nexus. I fully blame OriginalThinking for convincing me. Leave me a space on the bandwagon plz.

Original Thinking and the Engadget review (did you guys see the picture samples there? they are quite good!) has convinced me to get the Nexus once more... :(

I'm just waiting to be sure that the volume thing really gets solved, I don't want a faulty device. I guess I will have to live with 16GB and take my iPod Classic everywhere for music until they deliver a good cloud solution. Sucks a bit, but well-

Ha looked like I may have convinced a few of you to join me on my 'damned fool quest'. I'm amazed the video ended up on Reddit. Wasn't expecting that at all. The video now has 2000+ views which isn't a huge amount in YouTube terms, but is wildly above any expectations I had!

P.S Forcing hardware acceleration doesn't help the live wallpaper situation :)

Ha looked like I may have convinced a few of you to join me on my 'damned fool quest'. I'm amazed the video ended up on Reddit. Wasn't expecting that at all. The video now has 2000+ views which isn't a huge amount in YouTube terms, but is wildly above any expectations I had!

P.S Forcing hardware acceleration doesn't help the live wallpaper situation :)

How happy are you with the camera OT? I think in the review you don't talk about that very much. Is it true that if you take fast pictures they come always blurry? Can you take them slower so this doesn't happen?

How happy are you with the camera OT? I think in the review you don't talk about that very much. Is it true that if you take fast pictures they come always blurry? Can you take them slower so this doesn't happen?

Yeah I did mean to cover that off but I totally forgot. At this point the camera seems average but I've not had the opportunity to really test it yet. The pictures I took in my garden seemed a bit 'washed out' but in part that day the light made everything seem that way. It was a bit cloudy, overcast etc. The weather has been miserable so far this week so I've not ventured out too much. I'll take some more photos today and I'll give you my impressions in full next week :)

As for the blurryness, yes it can take out of focus shots if you snap things really quickly (particularly in macro photography). Just take a bunch of shots though and you'll be fine or use the touch to focus option.

Yeah I did mean to cover that off but I totally forgot. At this point the camera seems average but I've not had the opportunity to really test it yet. The pictures I took in my garden seemed a bit 'washed out' but in part that day the light made everything seem that way. It was a bit cloudy, overcast etc. The weather has been miserable so far this week so I've not ventured out too much. I'll take some more photos today and I'll give you my impressions in full next week :)

Very cool, looking forward to see how they look. From most reviews the camera gave me the impression of being crap but the ones in the engadget review are quite good (at least good enough for me) so I am not sure what to think.

Also, can you confirm if you also get this effect when recording video?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymA26jqtTQ It really sucks :(

Very cool, looking forward to see how they look. From most reviews the camera gave me the impression of being crap but the ones in the engadget review are quite good (at least good enough for me) so I am not sure what to think.

Also, can you confirm if you also get this effect when recording video?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymA26jqtTQ It really sucks :(

Yup I do. It only happens when you make really slight left and right motions consistently like you were really, really gently shaking the phone even though you were trying to be still. It's something that obviously needs to be fixed but unless you are trying to record during a gentle earthquake I doubt it'll impact any video recording you do.

Yup I do. It only happens when you make really slight left and right motions consistently like you were really, really gently shaking the phone even though you were trying to be still. It's something that obviously needs to be fixed but unless you are trying to record during a gentle earthquake I doubt it'll impact any video recording you do.

Does this happen when recording in all video resolutions or only if it's 1080p?

This phone... I will never be able to make a decision on this, it keeps amazing me one moment and deceiving me the next. As much as I like the design and the screen, it is difficult to make such and investment with this video quality. Another issue I will be waiting to see if it gets resolved via software update :/. If it goes on like this I think I won't have a Nexus before they announce something better.

Futureman

1f1257f4.jpg

is that a Touchwiz weather/date widget on the left, or is it on the Market somewhere?

alternade

Wait for this phone is unbearable. I have so many questions running through my head and the chances of this coming to Sprint are probably low.

rozay

Banned
This phone... I will never be able to make a decision on this, it keeps amazing me one moment and deceiving me the next. As much as I like the design and the screen, it is difficult to make such and investment with this video quality. Another issue I will be waiting to see if it gets resolved via software update :/. If it goes on like this I think I won't have a Nexus before they announce something better.
Going by the way Google's treated the camera software on the previous 2 nexus phones, don't count on it. I'm so disappointed they aren't using the second mic for stereo audio recording.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm back home in Atlanta, and after giving the phone a "trial by fire", I have some impressions:

-the camera quality is average, in my opinion. I took some pictures, some focused, some "whipped out":

Focused:

SilRNl.jpg

he5Cxl.jpg

ciut5l.jpg

2KBr2l.jpg

Not focused:

tZvZhl.jpg

mGhXKl.jpg

0S9MSl.jpg

The pictures come out a bit washed out, and some detail is lost. It's still a good camera, but not to the level of the GS2 or even the HTC Vivid.

Other impressions:

-the speaker volume is still waaay too low
-the phone is fast, the browser is like greased lighting mixed with lube
-accelerated UI is the greatest thing ever
-Actually decent ringtones
-call quality is excellent

All in all, it's probably the best android phone yet. For the next month or so, anyway. It's distracted me from my precious note, and using the UI is a constant joy. I never was a fan of stock android (its boring as shit), but I love the design and aesthetics of ICS.

also, OriginalThinking's video > your face

Timan

Developer
So any ETA when AT&T will get it? If they do. I have a line that can get an upgrade, either wait to see if they get this phone, or go for their current galaxy phone. Not sure what to do :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Funk, why'd you grab the GN along with the Note?

Circle T

Because I'm a phone whore
Do you just swap your SIM back and forth, or do you also have multiple lines? Thankfully, my 3 different lines all add up to little more than one single bill, so that helps because I also suffer from phone whoredness as you do :)

Questions for Nexus owners. Can you connect the phone to a TV via HDMI straight out of the box or do you need extra cables?

Also, since the phone only has one sort of usb/hdmi output in one, does it mean that you cannot charge the phone and connect to a TV at the same time?
For example, I want to play a movie on a TV but I am too low on battery, will I be able to watch the movie and charge the phone at the same time?

Can you, with an adapter, connect a usb stick to the phone to transfer data or even play media out of it directly?

Questions for Nexus owners. Can you connect the phone to a TV via HDMI straight out of the box or do you need extra cables?

Also, since the phone only has one sort of usb/hdmi output in one, does it mean that you cannot charge the phone and connect to a TV at the same time?
For example, I want to play a movie on a TV but I am too low on battery, will I be able to watch the movie and charge the phone at the same time?

Can you, with an adapter, connect a usb stick to the phone to transfer data or even play media out of it directly?

No the cable does not come in the box. You need to purchase an MHL cable. Yes you can't charge and connect the phone to a TV at the same time. As for connecting a data stick, no it doesn't appear so. What the Galaxy Nexus (& ICS) supports is Wi-Fi direct so as this standard becomes more widespread in TV's and other devices transferring content and streaming media should be pretty easy. If you have a PS3 or Xbox 360 there are apps which can turn your phone into a media server. Don't know how well they work, but they are out there. This would solve your charging/watching issue at the same time.

also, OriginalThinking's video > your face

That video has 5000 views now! I only intended it for you guys too. Bonkers!

No the cable does not come in the box. You need to purchase an MHL cable. Yes you can't charge and connect the phone to a TV at the same time. As for connecting a data stick, no it doesn't appear so. What the Galaxy Nexus (& ICS) supports is Wi-Fi direct so as this standard becomes more widespread in TV's and other devices transferring content and streaming media should be pretty easy. If you have a PS3 or Xbox 360 there are apps which can turn your phone into a media server. Don't know how well they work, but they are out there. This would solve your charging/watching issue at the same time.

That video has 5000 views now! I only intended it for you guys too. Bonkers!

Ah, thanks, Original Thinking. Do you know if it is possible with the S2? (I think you said you had one?)

Sky Chief

I'm not a GN owner but I assume that if you buy one of the cradles when they cone out you can charge and connect by HDMI at the same time

You mean yes you can charge the phone, correct?

Reading the literature on the cable It seems it is suppose to allow the phone to charge while it is connected to another device. Some have reported that some cables may not charge quickly enough so instead of giving you a charge it gives you a slower drain instead.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Every time I look at this thread, I'm hoping there's new news regarding the GSM model being available via Google for $530. Bastards.

I'm not a GN owner but I assume that if you buy one of the cradles when they cone out you can charge and connect by HDMI at the same time

You mean yes you can charge the phone, correct?

Reading the literature on the cable It seems it is suppose to allow the phone to charge while it is connected to another device. Some have reported that some cables may not charge quickly enough so instead of giving you a charge it gives you a slower drain instead.

Oh, that would be both great news. Nexus back in the game. Only thing bothering me now is the jello effect of the video recordings. I saw this comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRxJ5zKSO8 between LG Optimus and the Nexus and not only the jello effect is not present in the Optimus but it also seems to run way smoother, I don't think the Nexus video is 30fps at all. The gamma correction and auto focus seems much better on the NExus, though, but that doesn't matter much with such stutter in the videos. I thought the software had a way of removing stuttering like the iPhone 4S?

Druz

Once note and GS2 gets proper ics will they be better phone than this? They have much more attractive hardware and other things.

From what I'm understanding, yes. The only thing that the Nexus has going for it is the immediate android updates and that's it.

longdi

Banned
im new to android but i want to know if i can switch the sgs2 stock wizui to the ics ui without endangering my warranty? i really think phone manufactures put an option for us to switch to base ui.

Bboy AJ

Well the Galaxy Nexus still has that insane screen size/resolution that no other Android phone current has.

Rezound has the resolution in a non Pentile arrangement.

Seriously, I am watching some video recordings with the nexus and they are terrible, full of stuttering and jumps on top of the jello effect. How come this didn't come up in any reviews? Also I don't see it being discussed in here or the XDA forums. I am the only one caring about this? :/

Pctx

Banned
Seriously, I am watching some video recordings with the nexus and they are terrible, full of stuttering and jumps on top of the jello effect. How come this didn't come up in any reviews? Also I don't see it being discussed in here or the XDA forums. I am the only one caring about this? :/

Just do like most of us are doing and wait for the Galaxy S3.

Futureman

If that $199 from Verizon is true, I'm hoping I can nab this for $99 in June with my early upgrade.

If not, I might just wait to see what the next iPhone is.

Forsete

Considering this.. I was dead set on a IP4S (going from 3GS) but Android has always seemed like a better fit for me.

Not sure. Not a huge fan of Samsung, I would rather get a SE but they are taking forever catching up.

Top Bottom