• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Wow, this is great. Remember this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymA26jqtTQ

I found out that he tested the Nexus with a different camera app and the jello effect is almost completely gone! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SFSLnjqIssY
This really solves the only thing I was truly hating about the phone.

In other good news, I finally have google music set up and wow, it is great. I am already uploading all my collection up so I have it ready when my Nexus arrives. I think I will keep 3 or so gigs only with my most heard music and the rest I will stream. Great!

My other worry concerning space, though, is with HD video, which it seems to look phenomenal on the Nexus. But with only about 10 gigs left, I don't think I could have in my phone more than one HD movie at a time. Is it possible to stream HD from websites or does it go too slow? What about Divx web codecs, are they supported?

Thanks

gcubed

Wow, this is great. Remember this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymA26jqtTQ

I found out that he tested the Nexus with a different camera app and the jello effect is almost completely gone! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SFSLnjqIssY
This really solves the only thing I was truly hating about the phone.

In other good news, I finally have google music set up and wow, it is great. I am already uploading all my collection up so I have it ready when my Nexus arrives. I think I will keep 3 or so gigs only with my most heard music and the rest I will stream. Great!

My other worry concerning space, though, is with HD video, which it seems to look phenomenal on the Nexus. But with only about 10 gigs left, I don't think I could have in my phone more than one HD movie at a time. Is it possible to stream HD from websites or does it go too slow? What about Divx web codecs, are they supported?

Thanks

if you want to stream something, you can look at using Plex. I use it to stream all of my movies to my phone and tablet.

As a note, unfortunately not everything is ICS compatible. HBO/Max Go! doesn't work. It's painfully obvious some apps aren't quite ready for "HD" screen resolutions either (i'm looking at you ING Direct). Also having issues with my USAA app not being able to log in. Get this damn phone out in America so we can get these apps updated. I'm blaming Verizon for all my app issues

kehs

Banned
galaxy-nexus-vzw3.png

It's like they are literally showing you the bloat they're stuffing inside of the phone, disgusting, makes me want to vomit till I pass out and die from asphyxiation.

gcubed

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/galaxy-nexus-vzw3.png[/I1MG]

It's like they are literally showing you the bloat they're stuffing inside of the phone, disgusting, makes me want to vomit till I pass out and die from asphyxiation.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/S8Zha.jpg

yup

Speaking of, does anyone know where to order a replacement back for the World version? I'd like to get one to replace that shitty back on the VZW version.

you can't, its a larger back, hence the bloat

Are you sure? It sort of looks, to me, like the phone is just thicker in the middle, and the backs might be the same. Or, am I missing something, and the back is completely different?

Didn't you hear? It's DEALBREAKINGLY thicker. 0.4mm! Zero point fucking 4 millimetres thicker dude. Fucking Samsung Google Verizon dropping the BALL

nexus-side-compare.jpg

LTE vaporware version on the left; GSM one on the right.

LTE one gets bloatware, uglier color scheme and it's thicker.

This thing has FAIL written all over it.

EDIT: SORRY, I MEANT 0.57mm GRAAAAAAAAAAAH SO THICK

Just bought mine from vodafone in the Netherlands. It will still be sim-free, bloatware free, right guys? RIGHT???? :(

Anyway, I got it really cheap I think with 1 year contract I will be paying 780 euros, everything included.

Can't wait!

Mafro

What grease-proof witchcraft are they using on the screen? It seems a lot more smudge-resistant than the iPhone 4's screen.

gcubed

after using it quite a bit for a day i'm ready to amend my size report to copenicus.

It's big. It's pushing the boundary of what i would use for a phone w/ one hand operation.

gcubed

Waaah? For real? Didn't you say you're a giant?

yeah. maybe it's how i hold my cell phone, i have the bottom rest on my pinky and go from there. I can use 95% of the screen without an issue from this point... there would be no way i could ever go with a bigger screen.

What grease-proof witchcraft are they using on the screen? It seems a lot more smudge-resistant than the iPhone 4's screen.

it definitely seems to get less scummy with use

Zeppu

Kill him during lunch and take his phone, sprinkle some crack on the body.

Make it look like a suicide and remove all suspicion by leaving a note: "They took my Nexus. Now only sooperkool is kool in the office." Sign in his name. We live in 2011, no one knows what people's signatures look like any more.

kehs

Banned
after using it quite a bit for a day i'm ready to amend my size report to copenicus.

It's big. It's pushing the boundary of what i would use for a phone w/ one hand operation.

Hmm, sorta glad I've been holding off until I can see it person now.

Also, I'm super interested now to see if Verizon loads up Carrier IQ on this thing.

rozay

Banned
yeah. maybe it's how i hold my cell phone, i have the bottom rest on my pinky and go from there. I can use 95% of the screen without an issue from this point... there would be no way i could ever go with a bigger screen.

I looked at how I was holding my N1 while reading your post and sure enough my phone is resting on MT pinky!

How easy is it to use the keyboard one handed?

gcubed

I wonder if the carrier IQ stuff is what transmits data even when you turn off data on the iPhone. The Xoom didn't have the IQ stuff.

it transmits it back to apple, and supposedly they dont go as deep as some of the other carrier's have gone, but its a good guess. I'm sure there is always a bit of checking in in the background on ALL smartphones

That video also makes it look gigantic!! Right before he picks up the phone...I mean it looks like he's picking up a mini-tablet!

its big. but its beautiful

lol, my google dashboard has the phone listed as - Name: samsung Galaxy Nexus AT&T

Don't even capitalize samsung.

kehs

Banned
Per the Verge, Verizon (surprisingly!) doesn't put CIQ on any of its phones.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/30/2601695/carrier-iq-controversy

It's pretty interesting they've spoken out about not using carrier iq:

In fact, after a more thorough review, the only incorrect information published by Trevor Eckhart was information he published about Verizon Wireless. A spokesperson from Verizon clarified that the privacy policy information they published on their website was not in any way related to CarrierIQ. In fact, Verizon claims to not have any dealings at all with CarrierIQ on any of their handsets. Of course, the Verizon spokesperson failed to comment when Mr. Eckhart responded by pointing out that his research discovered three IP addresses in the CarrierIQ network that were pointed to by domains like vzw-collector.demo.carrieriq.com and hupload-vzw99.carrieriq.com.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/carrieriq-plot-thickens-20111123/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I knew the size of this phone would be an issue.

Why can't they just do 4"? That's perfect for most. I might need to hold this phone first. What's the return policy on the US import sites?

gcubed

to the guys with browser sync issues, searching around the web, the way to get it working is to stop browser sync on your phone, delete your sync data on google dashboard (takes a while), enable sync on your phone and re-enable sync on chrome. Worked for me.

I knew the size of this phone would be an issue.

Why can't they just do 4"? That's perfect for most. I might need to hold this phone first. What's the return policy on the US import sites?

yeah, i can use it most of the time without an issue at all, but its pretty big. Putting it next to my wife's Atrix makes the atrix look tiny. On the upside, watching videos/netflix on it is great. I went to Chicago over the holidays and stayed with my sister in law in her new place. She had nothing. So we watched some stuff on my Xoom. Holy lord does Slingplayer and Netflix DESTROY data. She had a clearwire wimax hotspot, but it couldn't keep up with slingplayer HD, LTE was nice.

Still any solid date on when this phone is coming out for Verizon in the US? Most rumors have said Dec 8, but that's a week from today and we've heard no official word, right?

Circle T

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/3...s-shows-off-its-micro-sim-and-boot-animation/

Circle T, that video makes it seem like you may be able to swap the backs, although there may be color differences.

Another thing that i love about the phone. Coming from a nexus one, it boots FAST.
A welcome trade-off, if I'm honest. Just need to find some place that sells the standard backs.

Also, I'm confused as to why Droid-Life says that the VZW one uses a Micro-SIM, when it appears to me to be using a standard LTE SIM. Am I not seeing it correctly?? If that is the case, I guess I will actually have to stop in to the store when it launches to swap out my standard SIM from my Charge.

gcubed

also, by the way, the volume bug fix was pushed out yesterday. It didnt alert me but it was sitting there in my system update page... so if you havent done so yet go there and reboot it.

SimleuqiR

Samsung Galaxy Nexus battery life -- some updated impressions
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-battery-life-some-updated-impressions

With any rechargeable battery, there's a certain amount of settling in to be done, which is why you'll often notice that a brand new device's battery performance may improve over the first week or so of use. During this time you'll also notice that you're using your new toy a little less, and this'll also affect your battery performance, as you're less likely to be pulling the thing out of your pocket every few minutes.

Over the past couple of weeks we've been using the Galaxy Nexus day-to-day as our daily driver, and with less intensive usage patterns we've been very pleased with the phone's battery life. So far, we've never been in a situation where the phone's died on us before the end of the day while we're out and about. However, we will say that with heavy use -- for example, constantly streaming from YouTube -- it is absolutely possible to run down the battery in a few hours. Then again, that's something that applies to just about every smartphone out there -- it's not unique to Android, ICS or the Galaxy Nexus by any means.

gnex-batt-overview.png

This not for the Verizon model, since you can't review vaporware.
I think this phone might be slightly better than my Nexus One in terms of battery. Which is not bad. SetCPU will eventually make it last even longer.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I get most excellent battery life. I checked yesterday, she went 18h and was still at 65%. Second only to the Galaxy Note, which can go damn near 2 days on one charge

Top Bottom