• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I know this is the nexus thread....but which do I get?

Nexus or Rezound?

and why?

Rezound on paper looks to be the better option, and I've messed around with it and it's pretty awesome, yet there are some that tell me wait for the nexus.....

gcubed

I really don't care about how a phone looks. i care about how it performs in All aspects. Rezound so far seems legit, and the sound quality is impressive. I just hear battery life on it isn't so good.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/3...s-through-headphones-including-beats-earbuds/

and i can't in good conscience recommend anything running Sense. Sense went from great to bloated pile of shit quickly.

also, what makes the rezound look better on paper? processor and gpu is worse. Nexus gets unfettered updates (we dont know how verizon will handle this, but it will be quicker then you will get from HTC)

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/3...s-through-headphones-including-beats-earbuds/

and i can't in good conscience recommend anything running Sense. Sense went from great to bloated pile of shit quickly.

also, what makes the rezound look better on paper? processor and gpu is worse. Nexus gets unfettered updates (we dont know how verizon will handle this, but it will be quicker then you will get from HTC)

in regards to the processor....isnt the rezound a 1.5 dualcore as oppossed to nexus 1.2?

i doubt there will be "unfettered" updates with the nexus on vzdub but, I agree it will prob be faster than htc...htc updates take forever....

rozay

Banned

Nexus or Rezound?

and why?

Rezound on paper looks to be the better option, and I've messed around with it and it's pretty awesome, yet there are some that tell me wait for the nexus.....
Design and software updates, though to be fair HTC generally updates their phones on a consistent schedule.

If you're worried about updates on a non-nexus phone, you should really search around forums like XDA and see how big the development community is for that particular phone.

Circle T

Same here. Sense has some nice things, but it seems more and more these days that its negatives are starting to outweigh its positives. I like the tabbed Notification pull-down in newer Sense, but I hate the stock launcher, I hate their menus, and the dock is cumbersome and ugly. Stock ICS is much better, IMO.

gcubed

in regards to the processor....isnt the rezound a 1.5 dualcore as oppossed to nexus 1.2?

i doubt there will be "unfettered" updates with the nexus on vzdub but, I agree it will prob be faster than htc...htc updates take forever....

when have ghz's mattered in processors :)

kehs

Banned
I was messing around with a GSII at t-mo earlier.

I can't hang with the size, let alone the GN which is bigger.

sad panda =(

Sky Chief

Nexus or Rezound?

and why?

Rezound has abysmal battery life, that should be enough to warrant going with the Nexus. Also, despite pentile all the comparisons I have seen prefer the Nexus screen.

i got mine too but not sure I have the 8 foot clearance around my outlets to use it.

OT made me buy a new Trent external/pocket charger which its on right now since I had to run to catch a train for work. I have several at home I could use.

Its not booted yet but good god is it light. I'll play with it once I get to work.

That charger thingy is quite nice isn't it? It is a pretty nice looking bit of kit for what is essentially a giant battery.

gcubed

That charger thingy is quite nice isn't it? It is a pretty nice looking bit of kit for what is essentially a giant battery.

most definitely, got one of my friends to get one as well. I have a horrible tendency to not plug my phone in while I'm at work, which means that if i go out after work and start using it a lot it starts getting low on battery by the time i'm on the train home. Its nice to have a way to keep it charged. It also charges rather quick. Now that its cold its very easy to have the battery in one pocket of my jacket charging my phone in the other pocket

I havent had to use mine much at all so far, but i know its the kind of thing you buy for those days you dont plan for. Its nice to have a safety net for when things go pear shaped.

MiniKelly

well, make a case for the nexus, cause i haven't made up my mind. what makes the nexus better than the rezound other than looks. (being that on paper rezound looks better).
Nexus prime is the more popular phone. There will be more custom roms on it if you care about that stuff.
Larger 4.6 inch screen.
Ice cream OS is optimize on the nexus.
Nfc google payments.

Rezound is not bad either. If u worry about battery, you can buy extended battery for it which will make the phone fatter. Imho both phones will have crappy battery life and will need tweaking to last 1 whole day.

VPhys

Nexus or Rezound?

and why?

I was waiting on the nexus for months and finally went with the Rezound.

Here are the pluses for each:

Rezound:

+MicroSD slot
+screen (highest ppi of any phone)

-a bit thicker than Razr and Nexus
-battery life (not as much as problem for me as I keep chargers at work and in the car)

Nexus:

+ICS
+thin
+possibly less Verizon branding
+screen

-no microSD
-less PPI than rezound
-non removable battery (I think?)

I got the rezound because it was $50 OTD on Black Friday. I do not think the Nexus is worth $250 more. The biggest advantage the Nexus has (or will have if you are in the US) is ICS. If both are the same price I would go with the Nexus. However, rezound is likely to get ICS at a later date and when that happens it would be very hard to choose.

Rezound:

+MicroSD slot
+screen (highest ppi of any phone)

-a bit thicker than Razr and Nexus
-battery life (not as much as problem for me as I keep chargers at work and in the car)

Nexus:

+ICS
+thin
+possibly less Verizon branding
+screen

-no microSD
-less PPI than rezound
-non removable battery (I think?)

Are there any preinstalled apps on the Rezound? Stuff like CityID, various demo games and such?

gcubed

Are there any preinstalled apps on the Rezound? Stuff like CityID, various demo games and such?

i believe the usual verizon grouping of software is on there. Although i think you can uninstall a lot of it now. VPhys will be able to answer

edit... the above is for the rezound, as noted below, the Nexus only has the two apps.

~capsule

Neo Member
Pretty sure the Rezound comes with a lot more than that and they cannot be disabled.

Whoops! I was thinking about the Galaxy Nexus :p (that's what I get for not reading the question).

Yeah the Rezound has the standard assortment of Verzion apps and it'll need rooting. Thanks for the correction!

The Galaxy Nexus is a beast on T-Mobile's "4g" network here in San Diego.

Getting an average of 850 kB/s down and 215 kB/s up. The ping is jacked up because it switches over to the "H" (hspa+) network from the 3G network depending on the app's data demand.

screenshot_2011-12-01e9f34.png

Mafro

Battery life in this thing is great. Going from a BlackBerry 9900 which needed charged twice(!) daily to this is like night and day. Really quick charging time too.

Also, still waiting on the OTA volume fix update being available on my phone. Despite what Handtec initially said, it turns out the newer stock of phones wasn't flashed with the new update.

Sealda

Banned
Needs to buy a new phone within 2 weeks. Thinking of the Sensation XL, Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Note.

Seems to be very little buzz around the Galaxy Note here on GAF.

Nexus or Rezound?

and why?

what paper makes the Rezound look like a better option?

yeah, 1.5GHz Qualcomm, and in benches it doesn't even beat a 1.0GHz OMAP4, much less a 1.2GHz

The Rezound has amazing battery life, if you just look at it as requiring the extended battery. It gives the phone a heft that I actually like. It's really thick, but it will last all day streaming music through Google Music or Pandora, watching videos, and surfing the internet heavily with 4G on.

The screen is GORGEOUS. Really amazing. I can't believe they're focusing on "Beats", when it's the screen that should be selling this thing.

The camera is also worth talking about. It's easily the best available on a smart phone. It's quick, has lots of cool effects, does panorama, and has great color balance.

It does have bloat, but a developer was kind enough to post a script that will disable most of it, similar to how ICS does. It even survives a reboot, unlike the current temporary root. There are evidently a bunch of developers working on S-off (unlocking the bootloader). When that happens, most of the advantages of the Galaxy Nexus go away. The lag that reviewers note (which is barely discernible) is the result of Sense being a resource hog. As soon as we can put stock ICS on it, that "lag" will be gone. While it doesn't benchmark as well as the Nexus' OMAP, I can run Shadowgun, the most graphically intensive game available for Android, and it's silky smooth and looks amazing. You aren't going to be able to notice a difference in power capabilities between the two phones.

For me, it comes down to utility, not design. Yes, thin is desirable, but I'll triple the thickness of the phone if it will last me all day with heavy use.

So, ANOTHER version of the Galaxy Nexus just passed through the FCC, I9250T.

It's GSM, but it's not pentaband. (WTF?!) And, it only supports AT&T's 3G.

Sounds like I need to get me an international version, before the pentaband one becomes a unicorn.

Qatar

Just ordered it from ebay and should arrive in a few days, I wanted to wait for Galaxy S3, but my Evo recently got so many hardware problems, it is unbearable and I'm out of warranty. I thought that I'd stay suffering from it and wait, but as soon as I knew that Galaxy Nexus supports T-mobile's HSPA+, I immediately ordered it, as as T-mo is only carrier with "4G !" connection here.

Blackhead

Redarse
So, ANOTHER version of the Galaxy Nexus just passed through the FCC, I9250T.

It's GSM, but it's not pentaband. (WTF?!) And, it only supports AT&T's 3G.

Sounds like I need to get me an international version, before the pentaband one becomes a unicorn.

Perhaps it supports AT&T LTE as well? Otherwise I can't imagine why such a good and caring company like AT&T wouldn't simply carry the model of the phone that also works on the other carrier they are trying so hard to acquire. Requiring an model that doesn't work on T-Mobile's 3G bands is the type of anti-consumer move that nobody would expect from AT&T, surely?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just ordered it from ebay and should arrive in a few days, I wanted to wait for Galaxy S3, but my Evo recently got so many hardware problems, it is unbearable and I'm out of warranty. I thought that I'd stay suffering from it and wait, but as soon as I knew that Galaxy Nexus supports T-mobile's HSPA+, I immediately ordered it, as as T-mo is only carrier with "4G !" connection here.

What do they usually go for on eBay? Why did you go eBay instead of something like Handtec?

kehs

Banned
Perhaps it supports AT&T LTE as well? Otherwise I can't imagine why such a good and caring company like AT&T wouldn't simply carry the model of the phone that also works on the other carrier they are trying so hard to acquire. Requiring an model that doesn't work on T-Mobile's 3G bands is the type of anti-consumer move that nobody would expect from AT&T, surely?

Get phone subsidized under contract from ATT for $200.

Walk away from contract.

Start service with T-Mo at walmart for $30 a month.

SimleuqiR

What's this talk about a new version of this phone going through the FCC with only AT&T bands?

I'm so glad I decided to import. I know ICS will be with worth it in the end, but this has seriously been the most frustrating nexus launch to date.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Get phone subsidized under contract from ATT for $200.

Walk away from contract.

Start service with T-Mo at walmart for $30 a month.

Is there any way for existing TMO members to port their number to GVoice then sign up for this $30 plan?

What's this talk about a new version of this phone going through the FCC with only AT&T bands?

I'm so glad I decided to import. I know ICS will be with worth it in the end, but this has seriously been the most frustrating nexus launch to date.
There are two new versions actually: 9250T, which only has At&t bands, and 9250M, which is pentaband like the European version. The latter is probably destined for Canada.

kehs

Banned
Is there any way for existing TMO members to port their number to GVoice then sign up for this $30 plan?

Google charges you $20 bucks to port any number to Voice, but like silemquirere said, if you're under contract it'll cancel it effective immediately.

Top Bottom