• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Just unlocked bootloader, rooted, and installed Titanium Backup/CWM

so good

What took you so long, friend?

I'm sailing along on the MoDaCo ir3 custom rom with a custom kernel that adds usb host and CIFS support..

looks 100% stock.. but smoother and adds proper landscape support to the launcher(and app drawer)

I'm sailing along on the MoDaCo ir3 custom rom with a custom kernel that adds usb host and CIFS support..

looks 100% stock.. but smoother and adds proper landscape support to the launcher(and app drawer)
How do they make it smoother than stock?

bionic77

Is this phone coming out on Sprint?

A friend of mine was asking about what Android phone to get on Sprint and this seems like the one to have.

How do they make it smoother than stock?

Standard android optimizations.. deodex, etc.

It's not night and day from stock because stock is already pretty smooth.. but I'm finding this to run a bit better than stock.. plus the other features like usb host and CIFS that aren't in the stock kernel.

This is the first time using an android device where I don't want to change the launcher or the default UI.. I do like the landscape support, though..

When you say CIFS are you talking about USB Mass storage?

No. USB mass storage is physically impossible for the galaxy nexus.. USB Mass Storage mounts the entire storage device and its partitions..

Inside the galaxy nexus, there is only one storage device.. and it is where everything resides..

every other android phone has a separate storage device where the rom resides.. but that isn't the case for the nexus.. it's all on the single storage device.

Here's an explanation from one of the google guys -

morrildl said:
ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.

If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.

It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.

With the unified storage model we introduced in Honeycomb, we share your full 32GB (or 16GB or whatever) between app data and media data. That is, no more staring sadly at your 5GB free on Nexus S when your internal app data partition has filled up -- it's all one big happy volume.

However the cost is that Android can no longer ever yield up the storage for the host PC to molest directly over USB. Instead we use MTP. On Windows (which the majority of users use), it has built-in MTP support in Explorer that makes it look exactly like a disk. On Linux and Mac it's sadly not as easy, but I have confidence that we'll see some work to make this better.

On the whole it's a much better experience on the phone.

Link to the rest of the post -

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/mg14z/whoa_whoa_ics_doesnt_support_usb_mass_storage/

Otnya.jpg

The internals of this phone are SO ugly.

Look at the iPhone 4S and how elegant it is:

csHmO.jpg

Apple really puts a lot of care into their products, inside and out. Does any of this matter to us? No. I'm just saying.

I'm actually not sure if this is an attempted troll or not.

kehs

Banned
No. USB mass storage is physically impossible for the galaxy nexus.. USB Mass Storage mounts the entire storage device and its partitions..

Inside the galaxy nexus, there is only one storage device.. and it is where everything resides..

every other android phone has a separate storage device where the rom resides.. but that isn't the case for the nexus.. it's all on the single storage device.

There's a couple of people that have succesfully mounted some dev blocks and can be accessed through USB, it's a really nasty hack, so I was wondering if that's what paul is implementing in the MRC. I know CM is working on a proper less hack way to have the data accessible (similar to how the dual mount apps on the market)

So, what is the CIFS you mentioned?

e: what a brain fart, lol nevermind me. too much dranky drank.

Ashhong

Link to the rest of the post -

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/mg14z/whoa_whoa_ics_doesnt_support_usb_mass_storage/

So is there any difference for the regular user? This MTP thing, is it just accessed by plugging the phone in via USB or is it a wifi thing?

Husker86

So is there any difference for the regular user? This MTP thing, is it just accessed by plugging the phone in via USB or is it a wifi thing?

The only difference that matters is you don't have to choose to mount storage when you plug into PC and cut your phone off from whatever data is there...it's marvelous.

Ashhong

The only difference that matters is you don't have to choose to mount storage when you plug into PC and cut your phone off from whatever data is there...it's marvelous.

At first I thought "wow that's lame it doesnt have UMS support" but now I'm the complete opposite. Always hated having to turn on UMS and wait for it to load.

rozay

Banned
I got curious and looked it up.

ATT requires an LTE plan for visual voicemail on android, what in the holy fuck?!?

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB412330#fbid=KS108iQwCrX

/Google Voice 4 life.
Damn you to hell at&t.

Now I'm wondering if I should return the iPhone 4S I got to afford a galaxy nexus for a GS2 Skyrocket to get visual voicemail and unlimited LTE...

At first I thought "wow that's lame it doesnt have UMS support" but now I'm the complete opposite. Always hated having to turn on UMS and wait for it to load.
Yeah there are some serious downsides (it won't work with devices that don't support MTP and there's a shit ton) but at the same time it was annoying that you lose access to your SD card when you mount the phone. In my case it won't matter much because I don't use mass storage on my 360 or car units but hopefully for the folks that rely on it, paul or someone on the CM team enables the functionality.

thespot84

Yeah there are some serious downsides (it won't work with devices that don't support MTP and there's a shit ton) but at the same time it was annoying that you lose access to your SD card when you mount the phone. In my case it won't matter much because I don't use mass storage on my 360 or car units but hopefully for the folks that rely on it, paul or someone on the CM team enables the functionality.

Looks like xbox supports it: http://www.usb-software.org/mtp_function_driver.php

Mafro

It's not getting delivered till between 15:15 and 16:15 this afternoon. That's annoyingly late.

Yeah I had a look at the enhancements that one does. Think I might install it but this will be my first Android device and I won't have a clue what I'm doing.

rabhw

Mine is on the truck for delivery before noon, highfive gcubed!

Gcubed you got it from handtec right? They were supposed to include an international power adapter for all international orders:

lCgc0.png

Did they forget? :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Mwahahahaha, I just tossed my Euro plug/adapter along w/ the rest and used an older USB cable/plug

Mine is on the truck for delivery before noon, highfive gcubed!

Gcubed you got it from handtec right? They were supposed to include an international power adapter for all international orders:

lCgc0.png

Did they forget? :(

Got mine, they probably just ran out

gcubed

i got mine too but not sure I have the 8 foot clearance around my outlets to use it.

OT made me buy a new Trent external/pocket charger which its on right now since I had to run to catch a train for work. I have several at home I could use.

Its not booted yet but good god is it light. I'll play with it once I get to work.

gcubed

So OT did the best write up, so i'm not going to spend any more time on it, but man the phone is beautiful and ICS is fantastic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, did you end up switching carriers then? Or were you not on Verizon?

AlfaTrion

my box was damaged and the seal that says don't open if this seal is broken was broken

the custom's agent should come to my HOUSE esp if I'm paying for their invasion.

I'll post pics later

gcubed

Thoughts on the size compared to the N1?

its definitely bigger in the hand , i have them both sitting here but i haven't noticed any issue with using the bigger phone. My thumb doesnt have any problems reaching parts of the screen i need to reach... possibly the complete opposite corner from where i hold it, but it hasn't been a hindrance. The screen is big and fabulous. So nice to have a bigger screen now

edit. I'm also a giant, so take my uses with a grain of salt

Mafro

What do I have to do to test the LED? I downloaded the free version of Light Flow but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Fatalah

Otnya.jpg

The internals of this phone are SO ugly.

Look at the iPhone 4S and how elegant it is:

csHmO.jpg

Apple really puts a lot of care into their products, inside and out. Does any of this matter to us? No. I'm just saying.

PLEASE tell me this is a joke post. PLEASE.

Steve Job's father Paul was a mechanic who, while making a fence told Steve to “make the back of the fence that nobody will see just as good looking as the front of the fence.” He explained that even though nobody will see it, you’ll know about it and it will show how dedicated you are in making something perfect.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!

homer_simpson31.jpg

Top Bottom