• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Qatar

16GB Internal Memory...

I know that, but I like having my music stored along with the photos/videos. I guess it's time to use cloud storage, it didn't work well on 3g before as it takes too long time to load a song, but now with HSDPA, it should work well.

rozay

Banned
I know that, but I like having my music stored along with the photos/videos. I guess it's time to use cloud storage, it didn't work well on 3g before as it takes too long time to load a song, but now with HSDPA, it should work well.
They wanted nexus users to not have to worry about downloading/installing to the sd card or the internal memory, so everything goes on the 16GB and there aren't any artificial app storage limits. They claim it's seamless.

Additionally, they got rid of usb mass storage support and use MTP instead so plugging your phone in to transfer files doesn't require mounting the SD card and being unable to use it until you eject it.

Better for some, worse for some as well.

There's a lot of inaccurate blog posts where the lack of USB OTG in the stock software is related to the removal of mass storage and that's completely false. OTG isn't in the stock software but can be enabled easily.

kehs

Banned

You can still store stuff on your phone. You just can't use it as a usb drive anymore. It's more of a digital camera/mp3 player set up.

Like mentioned above, if you have windows 7 just plug it in and it'll come up as a device, or use the filestransfer software from android.com. You can also still move things through a file manager and wifi/ftp/bluetooth.

VPhys

By not caring about your credit history.

(I wasn't actually suggesting people do this, I was just giving an example why ATT and T-Mobile rarely carry pentaband phones)

WHAT?

I think in the scenario mentioned above you PAY the ETF and your last monthly bill so it doesn't affect your credit.

You should still come out ahead.

I work in Finance for AT&T, and my office is at a retail store. I hear ALL KINDS of crazy stories from the Reps about people walking out on contracts. We actually have a bit of a problem in our area, with Blackberries no less.

Con artists go and round up homeless people and other random people who, surprisingly, have decent credit. They give them a bunch of cash, and send them into the store to buy 5 BB Torchs on a family plan, lowest plan/features/etc, with full insurance. With their decent credit, they will get approved with little to no deposit, and then pay cash for the phones, and leave. Then, like clockwork, they will either come in or call the store a few weeks later, saying that all the phones were "stolen", or some other problem, and need warranty replacement.

The phones, though, were long gone, sold overseas for a few hundred $$$ each by the con artist, with the warranty replacement ones following suit once they arrive. The "account holder" is then left with a delinquent bill, while the con artist makes off with about $2k on their $250 initial investment from five $49 BBs.

The shitty thing is, the Reps have nothing they can do about it. You can tell every time people come in looking to do this scam, but since they pass the credit check and all that, as a company we have to allow it.

If this is a big problem, why don't carriers just end the subsidized phone model, start charging full price for the phones and lower monthly costs accordingly? That's how most of the world does it I believe, and it makes a lot more sense.

kehs

Banned
If this is a big problem, why don't carriers just end the subsidized phone model, start charging full price for the phones and lower monthly costs accordingly? That's how most of the world does it I believe, and it makes a lot more sense.

They actually end up making more money on contracts and "free phones" than by selling a phone / service separate.

Oozer3993

Gizmodo review up.
http://gizmodo.com/5864584/galaxy-nexus-review-two-steps-forward-one-step-back

Holy shit at the picture/video comparison.

You can always count on Gizmodo to be stupid:

It also packs an NFC radio, so it's ready for the mobile payments revolution which may or may not be on its way. And it has a barometer! Nobody really knows what that's about yet, but it's still cool.

Well, actually...

Engadget said:
Google's Galaxy Nexus may be a lot of things: the fourth-coming of Android, an HD Super AMOLED showcase and iPhone 4S competitor. But weather forecaster? Alright, so it won't give you hourly atmospheric updates with an air swipe, but the built-in barometer that's got so many of us scratching our heads has a much different purpose. Android engineer Dan Morrill took to the social pages of Google+ to clarify the confusion. Turns out, Sammy added the barometer to help the device more rapidly acquire a GPS lock by delivering altitude coordinates to the required latitude and longitude GPS equation. Morrill goes on to note that the original Xoom also packed a similar feature, so if anything, this Nexus is simply following that Moto tab's lead.

But wait, there's more!

Gizmodo said:
Scrolling around webpages is quicker and smoother than any other mobile browser I've used (and with all of its new enhanced features, I would call ICS' version of Chrome the best mobile browser out there).

That's not Chrome, you dolt! Chrome is currently in development for Android, but it's not out yet.

A) Reviewers need to stop using Quadrant a benchmark tool, or if they do stop using the final score and provide a breakdown of individual tests. Just the file system score can massively adjustable the final score.

B) He admits quadrant hasn't been updated for ICS, so why use it??

Derp.

Don't get that attitude. I dislike and avoid Gizmodo as much as you guys (don't know why I gave them the click) but the Lifehacker writers always take care to be accurate and thorough and are very rarely sensationalist.

As a bonus, they're not jerkasses to their readers.

On topic, I was one of those people that thought, "Meh, the camera can't be that bad," but that difference is staggering. That's a weird thing to skimp on, considering all the other improvements they made in picture-taking.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lifehacker is very often wrong about nutritional stuff.

Gizmodo review up.
http://gizmodo.com/5864584/galaxy-nexus-review-two-steps-forward-one-step-back

Holy shit at the picture/video comparison.

Not trying to defend the camera of the phone because it obviously is worse but those pictures look much worse than in most other reviews I have seen, specially those in the Verge and Engadget, the pictures there are quite ok.

Also, the videos they uploaded to flickr look all way worse than they should. That is no way to make a comparisson.

On other news, I finally made the payment with Vodafone in the Netherlands. The phone was released yesterday but it seems like Vodafone it's taking more time to do more tests to it (or so they said in the email they sent me).

The phone is not going to be branded or filled with bloatware but they said to me that it will be sim-locked most probably, which is not a disaster but I thought I could swap the SIM with my Spanish one and use the phone in Spain when I go there.

gcubed

Xda posted about the volume bug, and apparently they forgot to enable debounce in the code. The changes were entered to fix it in early November but it couldn't make the release software. So they knew about it a few weeks prior to launch.

kinggroin

Banned
I know the nexus camera isn't top of class stuff here, but those gizmodo samples were much worse than what we've been seeing. It looks like the lense is smudged up with fingerprints, causing lights to blow out and glare, while colors and blacks lose definition.

Xda posted about the volume bug, and apparently they forgot to enable debounce in the code. The changes were entered to fix it in early November but it couldn't make the release software. So they knew about it a few weeks prior to launch.

Reminds me of my first electronics project. LOL.

I thought the problem came from interference, not from button bounce

gcubed

Reminds me of my first electronics project. LOL.

I thought the problem came from interference, not from button bounce

it did, but there was zero dampening time for a button push, so something that may be a normal occurrence in phones shows up if there is no dampening time on a button push. At least thats how i read it

it did, but there was zero dampening time for a button push, so something that may be a normal occurrence in phones shows up if there is no dampening time on a button push. At least thats how i read it

Well yes, but the issue didn't appear when people were trying to adjust their volume - that's what normal button debouncing solves.

The issue happened when signals were being sent from another phone on a certain frequency band, which has little to do with button contact.

gcubed

Well yes, but the issue didn't appear when people were trying to adjust their volume - that's what normal button debouncing solves.

The issue happened when signals were being sent from another phone on a certain frequency band, which has little to do with button contact.

right, but if the interference causes an electronic signal of a button push for 1ms, a 2ms delay would dampen that and not make it happen. What i meant was that the affect from the interference may not be a big deal (i would assume that all the regulatory bodies around the world would be able to accurately perform a signal interference test, and is a pretty standard test), but other phones and the previous OS's had the delay which suppressed anything from happening. Without that delay, you saw what happens.

meh, anyway, i've had the urge to mess around in programming. Anyone have good places to start from a novice who's 10 years removed from his last programming class?

SimleuqiR

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/3/2608598/galaxy-nexus-verizon-lte-hands-on

vzw-galaxy-nexus-hands-on-52-1020_gallery_post.jpg

Not so different.

Thaedolus

I went to lunch with a friend who works for Verizon today. I gave him shit for not having a solid date, and he was saying he was reasonably sure 11 Dec was when their version would be out. He's middle management and everything (really he probably doesn't know at all), but I'd be surprised if it was much later than that. Here's hoping we hear something soon...

Gunsmithx

I went to lunch with a friend who works for Verizon today. I gave him shit for not having a solid date, and he was saying he was reasonably sure 11 Dec was when their version would be out. He's middle management and everything (really he probably doesn't know at all), but I'd be surprised if it was much later than that. Here's hoping we hear something soon...

I got the same thing from a buddy who works for samsung(verizon account) and has been testing the phone.

gcubed

Gnex gaf help. Anyone having trouble with gvoice? Sometimes voicemails come through my phone voicemail, sometimes through voice. I cant find the old phone settings menu to check my voicemail setting to save my life

Gnex gaf help. Anyone having trouble with gvoice? Sometimes voicemails come through my phone voicemail, sometimes through voice. I cant find the old phone settings menu to check my voicemail setting to save my life

Go to the phone app.. tap the ... dots.. tap settings.

outsidah

Mine has been working perfectly. All VMs going to GV.

Pctx

Banned
Verizon is not announcing it because they don't want to piss off Motorola however they are pissing off their user base at an alarming rate. :)

Forsete

Dat resolution.

I caved and ordered one, from Expansys (UK import) since the Swedish release is still in the air.
Hope to get it soon.

Top Bottom