• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about some user photos i want to see your best shots guys - show off that camera

Tried to upload a full size image but Imgur was having none of that.

dOQ90cj.jpg

Zalusithix

Yeah, but I kinda appreciate that it doesn't light up too much as that would be annoying when I'm truing to fall asleep.

Yeah, too much light could get annoying, but increasing the area while decreasing the intensity would be fine. Is it is, the light is mostly obscured by the phone.

Camera wise, I decided to see how it dealt with looking at the sky with both direct sun and darker clouds.
Not too shabby for a phone.

Edit: Image captured at ISO 40, 1/11616s exposure, auto DR.

Not extra. It's the same screen size with the edges bent.

Oh, seems like kind of a downgrade compared to the normal then, especially when watching stuff or something.

Would also be super annoying if using an app that had input on the edges/corners no?

Shame because it looks really cool, but doesn't seem practical.

dextran

Oh, seems like kind of a downgrade compared to the normal then, especially when watching stuff or something.

Would also be super annoying if using an app that had input on the edges/corners no?

pretty much this. I tried one out at best buy and new almost instantly that it wasn't for me.
1 - slippery to hold
2 - distortion on sides when looking straight on
3 - not smooth - glass and metal have a lip

that said - I opted for the normal s6 and love it so far.
battery excluded. (but charging is fast! and wireless is a dream)

Gav

I got the S6 this week. Upgraded from a Sony Xperia Z1. I was waiting for a Z4, but my upgrade was due... and Sony have been dragging their heels a little.
First Samsung phone too, and i love it to bits. It feels great, its lightning fast, and the screen is unbelievable.
I was kind of worried about space, after having SD card support previously, but with all of my photos going to Google anyway, deleting them off the phone shouldnt be an issue for me.

Camera is incredible too. This was Kings Cross station yesterday.

Zalusithix

Watching stuff isn't that big of an issue. Frankly the limitations of a phone as a screen in general are far more of an issue than the screen bends.

Input on the sides isn't that bad. Pretty much every major UI interaction is going to happen primarily on the flat part of the screen. Even the UI elements at the far sides of the screen are still like 75% on the flat side. The touch elements I've seen totally in the bend area are the Samsung ones designed for the edge such as the edge contact list. In that case, it's the near edge so it's not any harder to get to than it would be on a flat screen.

Practicality wise... It's not. The edge is by and large a style thing. It's there to stand out and be sexy, and succeeds wildly in that regard.

pretty much this. I tried one out at best buy and new almost instantly that it wasn't for me.
1 - slippery to hold
2 - distortion on sides when looking straight on
3 - not smooth - glass and metal have a lip

that said - I opted for the normal s6 and love it so far.
battery excluded. (but charging is fast! and wireless is a dream)

1) Honestly, it's no more slippery than the standard phone IMO once you get used to how to hold it.
2) Yep, though the color distortion is most obvious on whites. It's much harder to notice on other colors.
3) The glass and metal are meant to have a lip. This ties into #1. The lip gives the grip.

terrisus

Still can't believe they went back to being non-waterproof after making the standard S5 waterproof.

I'll be sticking with my S5 Active until they make a waterproof version of the S6.

I recently had my Note 4 stolen at Coachella, and I was deciding between a S6 and just getting another Note - I've always disliked Samsung smart phones outside until the Note 4 and I never thought I'd be in that predicament, but the S6 is a great piece of kit.

Still ended up getting another Note 4 though from Swappa, once you go Note its hard to go back.

Zalusithix

I recently had my Note 4 stolen at Coachella, and I was deciding between a S6 and just getting another Note - I've always disliked Samsung smart phones outside until the Note 4 and I never thought I'd be in that predicament, but the S6 is a great piece of kit.

Still ended up getting another Note 4 though from Swappa, once you go Note its hard to go back.

I actually went from the Note II to the S6. No regrets. I rarely needed the functionality of the Note, and the trend for the Note screen sizes to keep getting larger made me decide that waiting for the Note 5 was pointless. The Note 2 screen size was already on the verge of being unwieldy. That and the rumored 4K resolution. The S6 resolution is already ridiculous. 4K in a phone is absurd.

Edit: Though I'll accept the 4K phone screens as a test bed for the Oculus Rift. ;)

I have a Verizon S6 and keep getting notifications from Chrome saying sync: password required.

I've tried my Google password and it doesn't like it. Is there supposed to be another password?

nib95

Banned
Had a play around with my brother in laws S6 Edge earlier. It's definitely super sexy, and feels incredibly premium. Probably the most premium feeling phone I've ever held. Feels more like some sort of futuristic gadget than it does a traditional phone. But I'm still personally sticking with the regular S6, even though the Edge wouldn't cost me any more money. I think I simply prefer having a flat screen, and the comfort of the more rounded sides of the standard S6, to the slightly sharper ridges of the S6 Edge. That said, they are both phenomenal devices, and if you want to stand out more in terms of aesthetics or show off factor, the S6 Edge likely far better fits the bill.

I have 14 days to compare both devices and swap if I want to, so I'll see if my opinion remains the same after more days of testing both.

Mascot

I love my S6e and I love it in white - with a gunmetal Spigen case it matches the colour combo of the original white Xbox 360 controller. It is one excellent phone, the best I've owned.

My Zen Qi charger doesn't seem to like it though (phone constantly pauses/unpauses charging on it, even with the phone case off and in multiple positions). I could throw my Nexus 4 on it and it'd charge in any position, even with a case on, but the S6e seems a lot fussier. What experiences have others had with wireless chargers (especially with cases on)? Any recommendations?

Also: the camera is indeed superb, but you owe it to yourselves to shoot some 1080p/60 video with it. Your mind will be blown. And holy shit at the 4k video.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I love my S6e and I love it in white - with a gunmetal Spigen case it matches the colour combo of the original white Xbox 360 controller. It is one excellent phone, the best I've owned.

My Zen Qi charger doesn't seem to like it though (phone constantly pauses/unpauses charging on it, even with the phone case off and in multiple positions). I could throw my Nexus 4 on it and it'd charge in any position, even with a case on, but the S6e seems a lot fussier. What experiences have others had with wireless chargers (especially with cases on)? Any recommendations?

Also: the camera is indeed superb, but you owe it to yourselves to shoot some 1080p/60 video with it. Your mind will be blown. And holy shit at the 4k video.

Is it a vertical charger? I ran into some troubles with my own Qi charging stand because the charging element in the S6 is oddly positioned. Table-like chargers shouldn't have issues.

DieH@rd

Banned

All S6 1080p60 videos I saw had incredible judder, image has no stabilization. Is the same for 4K?

Mascot

Is it a vertical charger? I ran into some troubles with my own Qi charging stand because the charging element in the S6 is oddly positioned. Table-like chargers shouldn't have issues.

Nope, it's a table-top version. Where is the Qi receiver in the phone?

All S6 1080p60 videos I saw had incredible judder, image has no stabilization. Is the same for 4K?

Did you view them on the phone itself, or on YouTube (which fucks up 60fps uploads as a matter of course, it seems). Played from my phone they are buttery smooth. Note that video stabilisation is unavailable at UHD, QHD, and FHD(60fps) resolutions.

Edit: I actually just tried the video stabilisation at 1080p and it's very impressive, even when deliberately shaking the recording around.

MercuryLS

Banned
Still can't believe they went back to being non-waterproof after making the standard S5 waterproof.

I'll be sticking with my S5 Active until they make a waterproof version of the S6.

Honestly, most people don't care about this feature and that's why they cut it.

nib95

Banned

I don't know about that. I think most people probably do care about it, notably those who live in areas where it rains a lot, but that they care about quality design, materials and build more. In any case, the S6/S6 Edge are actually pretty good at functioning even when wet or subjected to water, even if they don't have the proper rating.

The first Samsung mid-year flagship worth owning over the competition, imo. Great phone. Fast, best Android camera, best display on any phone period, great build... etc. Touchwiz has improved in performance but still looks terrible, and the battery life is very so so (worse than my new M7 and GS 4 got). Other than that, fantastic phone.

Tell me about it man. The best phone Samsung has made since the GSII and internet forums are ablaze with hate over the freaking microSD and waterproofing.

I don't know about that. I think most people probably do care about it, notably those who live in areas where it rains a lot, but that they care about quality design, materials and build more. In any case, the S6/S6 Edge are actually pretty good at functioning even when wet or subjected to water, even if they don't have the proper rating.

Most phones are actually slightly water resistant - the companies just don't make a big fuss about what their rating is. The feature was not useful at all for most during most times - I'd take a slimmer, better looking, better-built design of the S6 over the lol-worthy S5 design any day of the week.

does Verizon still let you upgrade early? like if I'm eligible on the 29th but I went today and signed a new contract would I get the subsidized price?

does Verizon still let you upgrade early? like if I'm eligible on the 29th but I went today and signed a new contract would I get the subsidized price?

I think Verizon is trying to phase out subsidized phones for Verizon edge, where you pay monthly for the phone, but you're alloud to upgrade every year. I'm not sure if they're still letting you do early upgrade, but they let me cancel my two year for free for edge with a full year to go.

MercuryLS

Banned
Put my phone on power saving mode today to see how much more battery I can get.

Let us know, I'm curious to see your findings. Whenever I check the feature in menus it shows the that you'd get the same battery life as the normal battery profile, so I never bothered turning it on.

scently

While I agree that TW looks terrible, you can just install the Google Now launcher and replace it. That's what I am doing.

I think Verizon is trying to phase out subsidized phones for Verizon edge, where you pay monthly for the phone, but you're alloud to upgrade every year. I'm not sure if they're still letting you do early upgrade, but they let me cancel my two year for free for edge with a full year to go.
Yeah the dude wants me to do this but I told him no. What's the advantage of edge?

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah the dude wants me to do this but I told him no. What's the advantage of edge?

It's sexy looking. Don't buy it for the functional aspects. The curved edges also introduce a bit more glare in bright lighting conditions, it feels a bit sharper in the hand and there is slight color shifting on the edges on white backgrounds. It's so sexy looking tho.

Also looking at the note 4 right next to this thing was a huge mistake. Fuck what am I going to do

The Note 4 is nice but it isn't on the same level as the S6. if you want a 5.5"+ phone why don't you wait for the Note 5? I'm sure it will be a lot like a blown up S6 with an S pen. If you want the S6 I would push you towards the regular model. If you want something that is utterly unique and eye-catching and can spare the $100, get the Edge.

While I agree that TW looks terrible, you can just install the Google Now launcher and replace it. That's what I am doing.

I might be alone here but I really like the new Touchwiz. It looks really sharp and has lots of great features. It doesn't feel fully baked yet though, some weird performance issues sometimes with homepage, app drawer and the news briefing redrawing and hitching. My only major issues beside that is that the Canadian version doesn't have the A-Z button for reorganizing the app drawer and that the icons are dated looking (and some apps haven't been updated to material design). IMO this is the best OEM skin i've used from a design and features perspective, which is shocking to me since previous Touchwiz interfaces are so so ugly.

Azerare

I'm debating on whether I want the s6 or edge(I really like the design and aesthetic).
Also not sure if I should go for 32gb or 64 gb memory.

I'm upgrading from my iPhone 4s.

BFIB

Also looking at the note 4 right next to this thing was a huge mistake. Fuck what am I going to do

I'm assuming you have unlimited data? If so, then it comes down to what you want, the unlimited data, but pay full price, or jump to their Edge plan.

Its inevitable, all carriers are copying T-Mo's philosophy on payment plans for your phone spread over 2 years. That way Verizon gets you locked in, offers you an updgrade every year, but in turn, they are guaranteeing at some point if you want out, your paying the full price for the phone.

If your OK going to the Edge plan, then by all means, go for it. The S6 Edge is bar none the nicest handset I've owned yet. You won't regret it (unlike your TV :) )

Azerare

So for anyone else who has gotten the S6 edge, what memory did you guys go with. Debating between 32gb and 64gb. How much space is actually available?

MercuryLS

Banned
So for anyone else who has gotten the S6 edge, what memory did you guys go with. Debating between 32gb and 64gb. How much space is actually available?

I went with 64gb (I believe that there was 56gb useable), 32gb gives you 23gb to use. I would go for 64gb if you really want to take advantage of the camera for photos and video. Also if you save lots of content locally like music, go for 64gb. It really depends on how you use your phone, if you barely use the camera and mostly stream and download a handful of apps the 32gb should suffice.

Azerare

I went with 64gb (I believe that there was 56gb useable), 32gb gives you 23gb to use. I would go for 64gb if you really want to take advantage of the camera for photos and video. Also if you save lots of content locally like music, go for 64gb. It really depends on how you use your phone, if you barely use the camera and mostly stream and download a handful of apps the 32gb should suffice.
I use my current phone for music and it would be a shame to not take advantage of the s6 camera. Appreciate your input!

Zalusithix

It's sexy looking. Don't buy it for the functional aspects. The curved edges also introduce a bit more glare in bright lighting conditions, it feels a bit sharper in the hand and there is slight color shifting on the edges on white backgrounds. It's so sexy looking tho.
He's talking about Verizon Edge, not the S6 edge. In which case the only real benefit to the Edge program that I can see is that your monthly bill will be lower after the phone is paid off. Of course, if you get a new phone like clockwork every 2 years, this distinction is meaningless.

atr0cious

Went to Alcatraz with a cousin a couple days ago.

Pretty ugly day though. I love the surround shot on this phone. It makes every photo feel like you're there.

I just wish they were worth looking at outside of the phone. Have to look at them on your phone for them to make sense.

Verizon makes more money that way -_- but for me I ended up with the same bill, with my phone for "free" due to my plan's edge credit. Though you can upgrade much faster with it.

Also what plan do you have and how many people are on it?

Ok so when my phone is in rest mode there's a blinking blue LED. I don't even have LED indicators on and it keeps blinking blue. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom