• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Yep, first Samsung device I've bought and that had a lot to do with the much better design. I compared my edge to the iPhone 6+ in store, for a difference of .4" screen size, the 6+ is way bigger. Its kinda shocking.

The 6+ has the same size screen as my old Note 2, and yes, the feel in the hand is quite a bit larger. It's pretty much impossible to use without shuffling the phone around a bit in the hand. The 5.1" sized phones are pretty much as big as you can get before the phones cease to be truly one handed devices.

MercuryLS

Banned
The 6+ has the same size screen as my old Note 2, and yes, the feel in the hand is quite a bit larger. It's pretty much impossible to use without shuffling the phone around a bit in the hand. The 5.1" sized phones are pretty much as big as you can get before the phones cease to be truly one handed devices.

Yeah, for my hand size the 5.1" screen on the S6 is my max for one handed use. Its a bit of a stretch sometimes but its manageable. The 6+ is a beast, even in comparison to other 5.5" phones.

Futurematic

My buddy, who is as diehard an Apple guy that I know, said my 6 edge trumps anything, even his iPhone 6.

I agree with your buddy on both counts, though I do like Android Material Design (reminds me of WebOS Eel/Mochi) if Samsung wasn't fucking it up with TouchWiz.

I really hope Apple steps up their game to an iPhone 7 this year, breaking their usual speedbump, because they feel completely outclassed this cycle: 1440p screens, Edge, Lollipop all very tempting.

MercuryLS

Banned
I agree with your buddy on both counts, though I do like Android Material Design (reminds me of WebOS Eel/Mochi) if Samsung wasn't fucking it up with TouchWiz.

I really hope Apple steps up their game to an iPhone 7 this year, breaking their usual speedbump, because they feel completely outclassed this cycle: 1440p screens, Edge, Lollipop all very tempting.

Samsung's Touchwiz on the S6 is pretty nice IMO, it looks sharp and has a lot of nice extra features. Far better than their previous implentations, the design fits material design principles well. They redesigned many of their own apps too and they're worlds better than the ones from before. Apples a bit stuck with iphones, they want to maintain app compatibility so that limits the res bumps. They could do a 1080p panel in the 6 though, and they should cause the 750p display doesn't cut it anymore. Lollipop being so good from a design perspective is what made me ultimately make the jump to Android, I always hated Androids design. The whole ecosystem from hardware to software is so much better than it was a few years ago. Even the 3rd party apps are as good or better than the stuff on iOS. Personally I prefer the design of lollipop over iOS 7/8, I never liked the weird neon colors they used and the over abundance of frosted transparent glass on so much of the ui.

IMO the iPhone 6 was a disappointing upgrade, the low res screen and the lack of ram sucked. Multitasking on iPhone is painful.

Zalusithix

Samsung's Touchwiz on the S6 is pretty nice IMO, it looks sharp and has a lot of nice extra features. Far better than their previous implentations, the design fits material design principles well. They redesigned many of their own apps too and they're worlds better than the ones from before.

They just need to give an option to disable that wallpaper parallax effect...

TedNindo

I`ve been using an s6 since the 17th of march now. I was banned recently so I couldn`t talk about it here. I also wasn`t quite sure if I could talk about it honestly. I didn`t sign any NDA`s though.

It`s pretty great and I love all of the improvements. But I still don`t know if I`ll sell my note 4 and replace it with an s6 just yet. I`ll have to give the S6 back at some point in time because it is a training model.

I`m spoiled by the Note 4`s battery.

clav

I`ve been using an s6 since the 17th of march now. I was banned recently so I couldn`t talk about it here. I also wasn`t quite sure if I could talk about it honestly. I didn`t sign any NDA`s though.

It`s pretty great and I love all of the improvements. But I still don`t know if I`ll sell my note 4 and replace it with an s6 just yet.

I`m spoiled by the Note 4`s battery.

Do you think the lack of a user friendly replaceable battery kills the S6?

TedNindo

Do you think the lack of a user friendly replaceable battery kills the S6?

It doesn`t kill it imo. It just makes it a potential hassle for people who use the phone very actively and don`t have the ability to charge it.

I made it through each day of the last few weeks without charging it. Giving retail training in stores all day with brightness set to full. While on an active contract with 4g and wifi turned on.

So it isn`t bad. It`s just average compared to a Note.

nib95

Banned
For people that don't have access to chargers during their ordinary day, I have seen people with those charging boxes that clip to the bottom and give the device a whole charge or two. You could always keep one of those. They seem fairly portable, though it's a massive shame the battery isn't much better by default.

KLi8cuTl.png

I really hope that they chose this named scheme just for the puns this year's phone will have. I'm gonna have to switch to android if they launch a "The Only Way is Essex" marketing campaign.

TedNindo

For people that don't have access to chargers during their ordinary day, I have seen people with those charging boxes that clip to the bottom and give the device a whole charge or two. You could always keep one of those. They seem fairly portable, though it's a massive shame the battery isn't much better by default.

Or something like this becomes less of a hassle because of the speed at which the s6 charges.

Zalusithix

I love it.

No doubt some people do. For things like that, there should be the option of disabling them though. They allow the disabling of so many other things, but forget the one that's active 24/7. Here's to hoping the Android 5.1 update will give the option to turn that off.

Azerare

Has anyone found any good phone cases/screen protectors for the S6 Edge? I just picked mine up yesterday and my store did not have anything in stock for the edge.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Agreed, but man do I love my Nexus 6. Though the Galaxy 6 edge is cool. Wouldn't mind one of them too.

Mr.Mike

We've gone too far. The phone feels great, but I think it's too thin and slippery. I guess I'm gonna start putting cases on my phones, although I certainly would prefer something slim.

The fingerprint sensor actually works really well.

MercuryLS

Banned
what's a good slim case for the edge?

I like the official clear cases from Samsung:

This is what my black edge looks like with the case on it:

It blends in really well, it actually help the handling a bit, it anchors onto the corners to the buttons and ports are exposed and easy to hit. It's a wonderful case that integrates with the design of the phone seamlessly, you don't feel like there's a case on the phone at all.

Zalusithix

I'll probably pick one of these up. Stick it in my bag for long days I know I'll be away from a charger for long periods of time.

They need to start making bags with Qi enabled phone slots (linked to a large rechargeable battery elsewhere in the bag. Drop your phone in and it starts charging.

Pifje

I just tried and compared a basic S6 to my Note 2 in-store, and I am super tempted to buy one right now.

It just felt very solid overall, and the display was just stupid sharp. It was the camera that blew me away, though. It was so fast, so accurate and just easy compared to Note 2 that it is silly how fast cameras and displays can improve in 2 years. Sure, when viewing those pictures on a 2K display versus a 720p one is already a massive difference, but the camera did really seem to take excellent and sharp photos whatever the target was.

And the build quality made me feel absolutely disgusted of my Note 2's plasticky build. The sticky plastic absolutely feels horrible. S6 felt like a solid gold bar in comparison to flimsy Note 2.

LG will unveil the G4 in 1 hour and 20 mins, though, so I will sit through that and then probably order the S6. LG will probably keep on using the plastic in their phones, but who knows, we'll see.

FaintDeftone

I'm rocking the Galaxy S5 right now (AT&T finally stepped up and put Lollipop on it) but I just upgraded my wife to the standard Galaxy S6 last week. I'm pretty jealous because it is a super nice phone with buttery smooth performance.

Her first smart phone was the Galaxy S3 and she broke it earlier this year. I took an old iPhone 4S from my IT department at work that we were going to pitch due to a shattered screen and repaired it for much cheaper than it would have cost to fix the S3. She used that iPhone for about 3 months and absolutely hated it compared to her S3. Now that she has an S6, she's as happy as can be.

I really like the Edge but I just got my phone last year and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November. I will most likely wait for the Galaxy S7 next year before I jump in.

Zalusithix

I just tried and compared a basic S6 to my Note 2 in-store, and I am super tempted to buy one right now.

It just felt very solid overall, and the display was just stupid sharp. It was the camera that blew me away, though. It was so fast, so accurate and just easy compared to Note 2 that it is silly how fast cameras and displays can improve in 2 years. Sure, when viewing those pictures on a 2K display versus a 720p one is already a massive difference, but the camera did really seem to take excellent and sharp photos whatever the target was.

And the build quality made me feel absolutely disgusted of my Note 2's plasticky build. The sticky plastic absolutely feels horrible. S6 felt like a solid gold bar in comparison to flimsy Note 2.

LG will unveil the G4 in 1 hour and 20 mins, though, so I will sit through that and then probably order the S6. LG will probably keep on using the plastic in their phones, but who knows, we'll see.

If you can live without the S-pen & mSD card, lower battery life, and smaller screen, then I'd say you'll be quite satisfied with the S6. 18 days in, and I'm not missing my Note 2 at all. Probably a wise idea to see how the G4 turns out though. Not that I'm particularly thrilled with the leather on the back of the phone.

Did this exact switch, I like the phone. It's weird at first not having the humongous screen but after two days I'm 100% adjusted.

y2dvd

I picked up the S6 last night. It was a huge debate on whether to get flat vs Edge. I was literally seconds away from buying the Edge when I thought there's one more thing I need to test, and that's watch videos and both phones. The Edge definitely gives more pop than the flat. I swear it looks slightly more crisp and vibrant too, though the rep insisted the specs were the same. The one HUGE downfall between the two was that there were noticeable glare where the screen starts to bend along the…well…along the edges lol. The flat didn't have the same glares, so I went with the flat. The whole face down, color notification thingy seems like an unnecessary novelty anyways. I'd rather not put my screen face down in fear of scratch also. $100 saved.

Now I've been a long time iPhone user. I've only really owned the 3 and the 4S. I have no loyalty to apple. I simply didn't feel it was necessary to upgrade until now. Quick overnight impressions:

-I miss the 4S screen size tbh. I was able to comfortably do everything with one hand. Not anymore. Plus, it fit perfectly in my car tray lol. All the new phones are this size anyways, so I guess it no longer matters.
-No silence switch
-Interface isn't as users friendly. I'm still learning how to navigate through the menus. I was able to navigate with ease when I first got the iPhone.
-It could be the way I'm holding the phone, but scrolling up and down pages seems to stutter a lot.
-It was a little hard to fit the usb cord into the power plug.
+The screen is gorgeous. I was watching a little bit of twitchtv and it looks crisper than my tv. Pictures are also beautiful.
+This thing is fast. Downloads takes no time though I haven't download anything huge. Switching apps is also quick.
+I like the news feed on the desktop.

More impressions when I delve into the phone. All complaints are minor and I'm sure I'll get used to it with time. Btw, my transfer is taking forever because I texts dating as far back as 2010 that I never cleared. It's still transferring at only 10% and I started early this morning!

Can someone help me out here

I forget how I did it but I turned off the detail for notifications on the lock screen. So for example instead of 1 New Text from [person's name] it just says one new message. I checked the lock screen and security settings and I can't find a way to change it back.

Zalusithix

Can someone help me out here

I forget how I did it but I turned off the detail for notifications on the lock screen. So for example instead of 1 New Text from [person's name] it just says one new message. I checked the lock screen and security settings and I can't find a way to change it back.

Sounds and notifications -> Notification area -> Notifications on lock screen -> Show content.

MercuryLS

Banned
Anyone else here get the gorgeous S6/e in white, or did you all play safe?

Black Sapphire for me, I never really like white phones due to the sensors and front cameras sticking out. The black sapphire is so beautiful, like a mix of black and dark blue (my favourite colour).

Zalusithix

What exactly isn't safe about white? It's been a Samsung Galaxy phone color forever now. The Black Sapphire is more different from the Samsung status quo than the white, and it's still rather tame. Being adventurous would require getting the gold or one of the blue/green colors that you can't find anywhere. If I had a choice in the matter, I would have gotten the green edge myself. Didn't feel like waiting for whenever there would be stock though.

BFIB

I went black myself. If the Gold was available, I would have went that route though.

But both are really eye catching. The different shades of white depending on the light looks great.

MercuryLS

Banned
I had severe standby battery draining, I checked online for some fixes. I disabled good now cards and location/syncing and it's helped tremendously. I don't really use Google now and I'm ok with not having location and syncing on all the time. Until Samsung releases an update to solve some of the battery draining issues, this is the best we can do. Before I was losing like 1% every few mins on standby, now I've gone about 15mins and it's still at 100%.

There doesn't really seem to be a fix for the memory leak issue though, it's quite annoying and I hope it's patched quickly.

Edit: Almost an hour on standby and I only lost 1%. There we go, that seems right.

Mascot

I went black myself. If the Gold was available, I would have went that route though.

But both are really eye catching. The different shades of white depending on the light looks great.

Yeah, the black/blue is nice but I fancied a change after my Nexus. The white really struck me. Depending on ambient light it can look like ivory, mother-of-pearl or even duck-egg blue. I've got it in a slim gunmetal Spigen case and it evokes the colour scheme of the original white Xbox 360 controller. I think it looks great.

All my colleagues who went for iPhone sixes (because... because... APPLE, innit?) are now jealous as fuck of the two S6Es that myself and one other went for.

Zalusithix

I had severe standby battery draining, I checked online for some fixes. I disabled good now cards and location/syncing and it's helped tremendously. I don't really use Google now and I'm ok with not having location and syncing on all the time. Until Samsung releases an update to solve some of the battery draining issues, this is the best we can do. Before I was losing like 1% every few mins on standby, now I've gone about 15mins and it's still at 100%.

There doesn't really seem to be a fix for the memory leak issue though, it's quite annoying and I hope it's patched quickly.

Edit: Almost an hour on standby and I only lost 1%. There we go, that seems right.

How did you live with 1% draining every few minutes in standby?! I haven't disabled any of the Google stuff, and yet I've never seen the phone drain that quickly when not in use. (Though I did disable a bunch of other crap.) I mean, I'm currently 24% drained over the course of 7h 45m, and near an hour of that being screen on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom