• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my S6E last week and am actually digging it so far. Upgraded from my GS4 with a custom rom on it so I was dying to get rid of it due to weird glitches and what not creeping up from time to time.

Also used my activation discount from samsung to score the wireless charging pad and clear case for $60. Should have both on Tuesday, i'll post up some pictures of them if anyone would like me to.

So for anyone else who has gotten the S6 edge, what memory did you guys go with. Debating between 32gb and 64gb. How much space is actually available?

Not the edge, but I sent 64 with my regular S6. I like having a lot of music locally and didn't want to worry about space issues. I doubt I'll get close to the cap, but know I would've with the 32.

Edit- still interested in hearing about my chrome sync question.

Azerare

Looking online I see there's an emerald green color for the edge. Is that available anywhere? Otherwise I'll decide between gold/platinum or black/sapphire.

picked up a 64gb S6 today, man this puts my Nexus 5 to shame, such a beautiful phone. Now I'm all kinds of paranoid of dropping it. Need to find a glass screen protector and case for it soon...

BFIB

My buddy, who is as diehard an Apple guy that I know, said my 6 edge trumps anything, even his iPhone 6.

I've had Samsungs since the S2. I went to look at the edge on release day - don't know why, but I just wasn't taken with it.

It's not that much of a massive upgrade is it? Plus no SD card slot. I couldn't really justify parting with £729 (I don't do contracts anymore, I prefer to just buy them outright rather than be locked in for 18/24 months) - saying that, I probably still would have bought one, because I was in that, 'I WANT THE NEW THING!' frame of mind. But the guy said the store had only been allocated 3 units and they'd all gone.

I really wanted a change from my S5 - so as an interim phone until the S6 is cheaper or something really cool comes out, I got a Sony Z3 for £479. Pretty much the exact same specs as the Galaxy S5 only with more RAM, better camera and minus the finger print scanner and the heart rate sensor (which I never used once the novelty wore off).

It's so much better than the Samsungs! Felt a bit wrong buying last year's phone - But don't regret it one bit! I'm actually more excited for the Z4 than anything else at the moment.

Although Sony are shit at advertising and hype so will probably cock it up, meaning I'll be back for the S7 or whatever!

I've had Samsungs since the S2. I went to look at the edge on release day - don't know why, but I just wasn't taken with it.

It's not that much of a massive upgrade is it? Plus no SD card slot. I couldn't really justify parting with £729 (I don't do contracts anymore, I prefer to just buy them outright rather than be locked in for 18/24 months) - saying that, I probably still would have bought one, because I was in that, 'I WANT THE NEW THING!' frame of mind. But the guy said the store had only been allocated 3 units and they'd all gone.

I really wanted a change from my S5 - so as an interim phone until the S6 is cheaper or something really cool comes out, I got a Sony Z3 for £479. Pretty much the exact same specs as the Galaxy S5 only with more RAM, better camera and minus the finger print scanner and the heart rate sensor (which I never used once the novelty wore off).

It's so much better than the Samsungs! Felt a bit wrong buying last year's phone - But don't regret it one bit! I'm actually more excited for the Z4 than anything else at the moment.

Although Sony are shit at advertising and hype so will probably cock it up, meaning I'll be back for the S7 or whatever!
if the Z4 is better, why should you care about their ad campaign?

might as well throw your Z3 away now and buy an Edge.

if the Z4 is better, why should you care about their ad campaign?

might as well throw your Z3 away now and buy an Edge.

In my opinion the Z3 is better than the S5, that's what I meant. I would have got an S6 Edge if they'd been in stock, but kind of glad they weren't.
The reference to marketing - meaning no one knows about the Sony phones or that they're any good. Also, Sony's 6 month cycle is completely stupid. That's one majorly off-putting thing.

Basically, I've got a really good interim phone for a lot less money that I like a lot more than the S5 - gives me time to see what happens. Happy I didn't jump in for an S6.

I was messing around with the S6 at Best Buy, and damn is it a snappy phone. I was really impressed by the OS, even though I had no idea how to navigate it given all of Samsung's little Touchwiz quirks.

I'm still not sure what I'll be getting to replace my HTC M7. I'm not getting anything for while, and I'll probably wait until the Z4 is out so I can compare the two.

Zalusithix

Anyone else here having the screen rotation issue with their edge?

I think you're like the second person here to have the rotation bug. Just out of curiosity, how is your GPS working? The other person to have the rotation bug couldn't lock onto the satellites.

yeah that was me:

Rotation issue - Call samsung or your provider and get them to put you through to Samsung. I spoke to a bloke who acknowledged the problem, remoted into my phone, took some metrics and promised me a personalised update within a few weeks (hasn't happened yet) or that they would put out a general update that would fix it.

GPS - my GPS is also borked. Can't get a fix at all, which is annoying as google nav is part of my driving set up around London. I'm not sure if the two are related and I haven't reported this fault yet (lazy) but would be interested to hear if Twio's GPS is broken also.

Having the auto-rotation problem as well, not really bothered much by it. Just using an app for now to manually change the orientation. Thinking of waiting to see if an update will fix it, if not ill just take up that 1 year warranty.

Zalusithix

Up to three people in our relatively small sample size then. That's not exactly a promising percentage.

Really wonder what the heck is going on there though. Only the edge variants, and only a percentage of them at that.

Twio

I think you're like the second person here to have the rotation bug. Just out of curiosity, how is your GPS working? The other person to have the rotation bug couldn't lock onto the satellites.

Negatory, my GPS is working just fine on "GPS only" mode and "GPS, Wifi, and Mobile Data" mode. Just tested both modes and turn by turn and everything works perfectly on both. Also, I think a few other people from the announcement thread complained about having the issue so there are a decent amount of us with it.

A theory going around now is that all of the edge models that were built in China (mainly Sprint and Verizon, it will say what country it was made in on your box) are having the issue where as the models built in Vietnam or Taiwan aren't having any issues with the accelerometer whatsoever. All signs lead to this being a hardware problem, however.

Zalusithix

Negatory, my GPS is working just fine on "GPS only" mode and "GPS, Wifi, and Mobile Data" mode. Just tested both modes and turn by turn and everything works perfectly on both. Also, I think a few other people from the abnouncement thread complained about having the issue so there are a decent amount of us with it.

Not looking good for Jazzy then... =/

ukas

Up to three people in our relatively small sample size then. That's not exactly a promising percentage.

Really wonder what the heck is going on there though. Only the edge variants, and only a percentage of them at that.

Mine works fine.

I went Galaxy S4 then Note 4. After my wife got the S6 I had to have it, sold my Note 4 and haven't looked back. This phone feels like a huge leap forward even from the Note 4. I'm impressed every time I pick it up.

nib95

Banned
Not to alarm, but can anyone else confirm if their S6 Edge has any colour fringing on the further most edges of the curved sides? My brother in laws has a visible pinkish reddish colour shift, whilst my cousins has a near unnoticeable slightly blue one (this is when viewing the same exact thing). I would deem the latter as acceptable, whilst the device with the pinkish shift is too obvious and imo requires replacing. Vodafone still don't have stock, so I won't yet know if my dad's phone has it or not. I know a few journalists picked up on it on a few S6 Edge's at the S6 reveal press event, but I hadn't heard about any examples in retail units till I checked the ones available to me.

Side note, one good thing about the UK models is that they do not have any of the Samsung branding on the rear. They're completely clean. Looks so much better as a result.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just realized that the S6 puts the brightness to max automatically in outdoor situations, regardless of your brightness setting and whether or not you have auto brightness on. That's a great feature, I usually have my brightness set to 50% and only need high brightness outdoors, its nice that the phone ramps up and back down automatically in that situation. It's a nice little touch.

Also is anyone else dealing with lots of reloads with light multitasking? Is it the memory leak bug in lollipop causing this?

MercuryLS

Banned
Not to alarm, but can anyone else confirm if their S6 Edge has any colour fringing on the further most edges of the curved sides? My brother in laws has a visible pinkish reddish colour shift, whilst my cousins has a near unnoticeable slightly blue one (this is when viewing the same exact thing). I would deem the latter as acceptable, whilst the device with the pinkish shift is too obvious and imo requires replacing. Vodafone still don't have stock, so I won't yet know if my dad's phone has it or not. I know a few journalists picked up on it on a few S6 Edge's at the S6 reveal press event, but I hadn't heard about any examples in retail units till I checked the ones available to me.

Side note, one good thing about the UK models is that they do not have any of the Samsung branding on the rear. They're completely clean. Looks so much better as a result.

Mine has a slight blueish-green cast to it. The screen is actually fine, its just the curves are being viewed off angle and that's why the color is shifted, if you look at the curved part head on the shift is gone and how the flat part of the screen shifts.

Is there any super compelling advantage the S6 has over my S5 or is it simply the modest upgrades you expect with a new model?
Edit: I like the idea of a superior camera,I don't like shorter battery life.

My biggest beef with the S line was the cheap plasticky feel.

My coworker for a 6 and hot damn it feels premium. While I prefer my 6+ the S6 is a fantastic device in terms of performance and build quality.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is there any super compelling advantage the S6 has over my S5 or is it simply the modest upgrades you expect with a new model?
Edit: I like the idea of a superior camera,I don't like shorter battery life.

You have to handle it to see what's so nice about it, it looks and feels way better than the S5. It also has a proper fingerprint scanner, its a lot faster, has better software, wireless charging, fast charging, much better camera, sharper screen. Its anything but a modest upgrade IMO, but if things like removable battery, SD card and waterproofing matter to you then it's not the device you're looking for. The battery life is slightly worse than the S5 from the tests others have done.

MercuryLS

Banned
My biggest beef with the S line was the cheap plasticky feel.

My coworker for a 6 and hot damn it feels premium. While I prefer my 6+ the S6 is a fantastic device in terms of performance and build quality.

Yep, first Samsung device I've bought and that had a lot to do with the much better design. I compared my edge to the iPhone 6+ in store, for a difference of .4" screen size, the 6+ is way bigger. Its kinda shocking.

AMUSIX

The lack of waterproofing is my only hesitation here. It's been really nice with the S5 not to worry about the phone at the beach or in the hottub.

What are the chances of an S6 active coming out before the end of the year?

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, this is honestly a downgrade for me even with the better performance boasted.
I like S5 water resistance, micro-sd support (eventhough Kitkat fucked that up a bit), and swappable battery.

Sticking with S5 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom