• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Uh, okay, if you want to do this again then I'll go ahead and start by saying everything she did wasn't because of a do vs die, it was win power vs lose power

I'm not going accept your viewpoint that the two identities (3 eyed raven and Bran Stark) are mutually exclusive. The 3 eyed raven is not some soulless asshole therefore they have a connection to their past lives. The last 3 eyed raven was too old his whole family was probably dead; not Bran, his still a young man and he's reunited with his family.

And when he reunited he didn't care and he told us why. Because he is no longer Bran.

if he's not Bran Stark then he wouldn't recognize Jon as his half brother/cousin so he wouldn't care to go back and tell Jon about his heritage.
my friend was predicting it'd be Dany x Jorah.

Where are you getting this from? Ofcourse he'd know because he has that knowledge.
Him being the 3ER doesn't mean he cares less for those he knew.
If he said he's not Bran, why can't you accept it? He's said it himself to Meera no less, someone he's journeyed with for years.

I dunno; I have a feeling next step for Jon is to go back to Winterfel and talk to Bran. That might end things for him and Daeny.

Yeah they might not go through with it but if not it would be pretty lame.

Literally every scene this season with them together this season has been them eye fucking / referencing liking each other. Would seem really weird to put so much emphasis on that relationship to not go through with it

I enjoyed the episode for the spectacle, but I can very much tell that this is HBO writers steering the ship now and not Martin. Martin obsesses over the innerworkings of the plot, but these last couple of episodes felt very much like the writers just want to move us along from plot point to plot point. HBO really should've just taken a year off to let Martin really figure out how to end it.

On another note, when and why was it established that Dany can't have children? Was this part of the black magic that resurrected Drogo?

redfox088

Banned
Could the Wild Hunt stop the NK? Is that a gamefaqs thread, yet?
the wild hunt can warp vaguely so probably. Geralt would have fucked the NK at hardhome. The OG "White wolf" shit my Arisen from Dragons Dogma woulda fucked the Night king twice NG+ style.

Femto.

Depends on where that shorter inch is.

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

I laughed

The Night King just pulled off the greatest steal of a trade deal in Westerosi history.

Team Living gains a bench warmer zombie, and the Night King acquired his Cristiano Ronaldo. Fucking genius plan Tyrion.

Fuck this shit. Oh and Jon can fuck right off with that bullshit "let me quickly max out my XP before completing the level" shit he pulled.

Stop blaming Tyrion. He practically begged Dany not to go rescue them (and therefore lose the dragon that you're blaming Tyrion for).

His plan to capture the wight might not have been brilliant, but the loss would have been a handful of men if it failed, and at that point Tyrion was trying to convince her that loss was acceptable, but her risking her life was not.

So blame fucking Dany.

Where are you getting this from? Ofcourse he'd know because he has that knowledge.
I didn't mean he literally wouldn't recognize Jon, I meant that his mindset would've been "since I'm no longer Bran Stark, this is no longer my family and Jon Snow is not my half brother/cousin"
Him being the 3ER doesn't mean he cares less for those he knew.
If he said he's not Bran, why can't you accept it? He's said it himself to Meera no less, someone he's journeyed with for years.
Because after saying that he's not Bran, he's shown improvement in his behavior with his family. So I don't think he's lost all touch with who he was. He's put more effort into it.

HvySky

Honestly the only thing that didn't sit right with me was Benjen appearing out of nowhere and insisting that horses definitely can't hold more than one person at a time. Random as hell, and felt more like D&D wrapping up a loose end plot point as well as an easy save for Jon. Two birds with one stone.

Otherwise, it was a fun episode! The character interactions beyond the wall were great. I felt incredibly tense curing the battle against the wights, and was ready to riot in the streets when I thought Tormund was about to bite it. I don't really follow Game of Thrones outside of occasionally posting here and talking with my friends week to week, so I guess I'm not as special as I thought when I'd called one of Daenerys' dragons dying and being risen by the Night King. I guess everyone had predicted that? Still, expected or not, it was pretty shocking to see one go down, and prove the Night King as incredibly dangerous beyond his ability to raise the dead.

I'm also still on the side of thinking Arya is playing Littlefinger, but doesn't want Sansa to know about it? Like, otherwise I just can't see how she'd playing into his hands so easily. He doesn't even have to try with how easy she's making it.

All in all a fun episode. Not the best, but I liked it!

Zero315

Banned
if he's not Bran Stark then he wouldn't recognize Jon as his half brother/cousin so he wouldn't care to go back and tell Jon about his heritage.
Because it's not necessarily about familial obligation, instead it ties into the prophesies/fight against the Night King.

I didn't mean he literally wouldn't recognize Jon, I meant that his mindset would've been "since I'm no longer Bran Stark, this is no longer my family and Jon Snow is not my half brother/cousin"
Because after saying that he's not Bran, he's shown improvement in his behavior with his family. So I don't think he's lost all touch with who he was. He's put more effort into it.

I can see that, we'd have to see more before we can confirm that though.

NolbertoS

I enjoyed the episode for the spectacle, but I can very much tell that this is HBO writers steering the ship now and not Martin. Martin obsesses over the innerworkings of the plot, but these last couple of episodes felt very much like the writers just want to move us along from plot point to plot point. HBO really should've just taken a year off to let Martin really figure out how to end it.

On another note, when and why was it established that Dany can't have children? Was this part of the black magic that resurrected Drogo?

GRRM is providing input on GOT. Each writers script is based on how he thinks the books or his story will end. He even stated that the GOT show will be similar in some inatances and different in others, but the climax of his books are about what he had in mind. HBO is gonna create probably 2 spin offs to flesh out the land of Westeroos, so if he ever finished his books, might see more characters and stories being fleshed out.

I'm not sure even Arya playing 50 dimensional chess could really redeem this storyline because it would be pretty a pretty out of the blue reveal. Most of the backing for it at this point comes down to "Well I can't believe that Arya is that stupid," which isn't a great sign. I was really happy when she got back to Winterfell and I thought Arya / Sansa stuff could be a great way to bring back some of the family dynamics that really made the earlier seasons, but the direction they've gone with it is a little annoying.

There's so much potential in both Arya and Sansa as characters but they both seem to suffer for different reasons. It's disappointing.

Did anyone really think Jon was dead?

edit: Also another episode where people who were "making predictions" for the past few months happened to be pretty on the nose. Ya'll ain't sly.

Eh, I don't think it will be much different. Maybe in the sense that it will be far more character and dialog focused after a heavy action episode. I don't have any problems with where the show is, and is going, however. Tough to read this thread and see all the moaning. It's not like we're watching Lost, folks. This is still damn good.

I don't either, but it's evident that not having the books as reference is really noticeable. Hey, people might have been down on Lost because of the never properly answered mysteries, but at least the writing never suffered because of it.

Benjen saving Jon can be explained away because he communicates with the 3ER.

So that's fine, as you can imagine Bran is controlling the scenario.

So he has to pretend to be Bran? It's almost like he's not Bran, it's almost like he has said this before, it's almost like he didn't lie.
you can call it what you want. "pretend". I call it putting forth more effort.
Because it's not necessarily about familial obligation, instead it ties into the prophesies/fight against the Night King.
the whole reason there would be any prophecies to fighting against the Night King would be to save mankind; that to me means he still cares about his family, if he cares about saving the world
I can see that, we'd have to see more before we can confirm that though.
I'm absolutely sure that he'll be in the next episode to checkmate Petyr, and his stupidass absence in this episode and minimal presence in episode 5 was poor writing to give this stupid Winterfell drama some buildup.

Ferrio

Banned
The Arya scenes were so bad. I can hand wave all the teleportation etc, but having sansa/arya yet again get fucked over due to idiocy goes against all prior character building.

I thought after the scorpion hit Drogon that Dany would get armor for her dragons. After this last episode, I really hope this happens. She needs to get protection.

Yeah, I don't mind if it needed more time and wasn't ready yet, but yeah I hope we get it and her getting some cool armor too like those pics posted after that dragon ep.

And she had another great outfit this week as was said during the ep by someone.

Einchy

you can call it what you want. "pretend". I call it putting forth more effort.

So the Three Eyed Raven has to "put forth effort" to be Bran. Some might say, the Three Eyed Raven included, that this means he is no longer Bran.

But I guess it means he is still Bran 'cus, uh, stuff?

The Arya scenes were so bad. I can hand wave all the teleportation etc, but having sansa/arya yet again get fucked over due to idiocy goes against all prior character building.

Feels like Arya was more revealing herself to Sansa, but ultimately, showing her trust with her sister by giving her the dagger.

Sansa/Arya have some leftover tension and so Arya was taking it out on her.

But I don't understand Sansa's whole deal with being the jealous wannabe ruler of the north, and Im not sure where the Littlefinger stuff is going

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I generally don't care about the whole ship thing, but I have so much inner turmoil towards Dany and Jon. The chemistry there is actually pretty solid, but dude she's your aunt.

tumblr_o4c98pxmtV1uzyzqlo1_400.gif

Also wondering how Cersei gonna fuck them over like the treacherous hag she his. Kinda wishing Jamie kills her next episode no matter how unrealistic that is.

I kind of didn't enjoy it for the same reasons you mentioned. Everyone is acting nonsensically.

So the Three Eyed Raven has to "put forth effort" to be Bran. Some might say, the Three Eyed Raven included, that this means he is no longer Bran.

But I guess it means he is still Bran 'cus, uh, stuff?
'cus uh, stuff I've explained in several posts already. He's Bran Stark of Winterfell, still a wolf, not a lone wolf coz he's with the pack and the lone wolf dies. This wolf happens to be the 3 eyed raven but he'll always be a wolf to his pack

san00ake

This might be due to English not being my mother tongue, but when Dany said "he's too little for me" about Jon, I assumed she was referring to his age, not his height, until she apologized to Tyrion.

I understand that after being with dudes like Khal Drogo and Daario or whatever his name was she likes them big, but Jon ain't small by any means.

I'm 1,86 cm tall BTW so this is not coming from some deep insecurities or anything, just a random thought :p

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So how many times is Jon going to be staring off at certain death, only to be saved by a last minute miracle? It happened twice this episode.

What the fuck were the Chidren of the Forest on when they made the Night King?

How to make the ultimate weapon:

•Brings the storm: check
•Can raise the dead: Check
•Can turn babies to White Walkers: Check
•Immune to fire: check
•Has the throwing arm of 100 Tom Bradys: Check
•No contingency plan to shut this shit down: Check

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seriously condensed timeline is one of the losses of trying to cram such significant character density and major story beats into a measly 13 episodes, especially when many characters are splintered and separated. I agree it's gotten to a point of ridiculous, and I definitely prefer narrative that accentuates the time between major locations and how events intertwine within the journey. I feel that method of storytelling does a show like Game of Thrones a lot of favours. But the current state of things is what it is and there's probably not much that can be done about it, even if it makes for less believable narrative.

This kind of stuff is where longer seasons and novels would assist.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I feel like all the hard work the show put into building Arya and Sansa's characters is just being thrown in the garbage. They used to be my favorites now they're both just annoying and stupid.

He cares about defeating the Night King. That's his whole purpose.

Why would he stay North of the Wall? Why would he go anywhere else but Winterfell when it has a Wayward tree and it has the army that's going to fight the Night King? He can't do anything if he dies or travels to a place where no one knows who he is or will believe him. He has to go to Winterfell to fight the Night King and not because he wants to see the family he didn't even care when he saw.

He is also safe in winterfell to do his thing without being bothered by bandits , has food and shelter and people to help get whatever he needs .

Einchy

'cus uh, stuff I've explained in several posts already. He's Bran Stark of Winterfell, still a wolf, not a lone wolf coz he's with the pack and the lone wolf dies. This wolf happens to be the 3 eyed raven but he'll always be a wolf to his pack

Hmm, I see, expect when he told us this isn't the case anymore.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Benjen just coming back to save Jon at the last minute and then dying right away was so cheap.

im guessing that the encampment with the fire at the stream where the White Walker was ambushed was Benjens. If the WW was looking for Benjen that would explain why a small squad was away from the group and also how Benjen knew Jon and Co were there.

I generally don't care about the whole ship thing, but I have so much inner turmoil towards Dany and Jon. The chemistry there is actually pretty solid, but dude she's your aunt.

Also wondering how Cersei gonna fuck them over like the treacherous hag she his. Kinda wishing Jamie kills her next episode no matter how unrealistic that is.

I can't imagine Jamie killing her any time soon. She just told him she's having his baby when they've lost all theit kids. I hate that he's a complete heel now but I think he's gonna stay that way. I guess it's also good though because he's done a lot of despicable shit that he needs to get his comeuppance for. If he suddenly grew a conscience then it'd be hard to see him get his.

As for Cersei I think she's gonna betray them for sure. They'll get that wight there to King's Landing and then she'll probably fake an alliance to take care of the white walker problem.

This might be due to English not being my mother tongue, but when Dany said "he's too little for me" about Jon, I assumed she was referring to his age, not his height, until she apologized to Tyrion.

I understand that after being with dudes like Khal Drogo and Daario or whatever his name was she likes them big, but Jon ain't small by any means.

I'm 1,86 cm tall by the so this is not coming from some deep traumas or anything, just a random thought :p
No, I think you're right in that Dany meant his age, and not his height. Because she was maybe thinking when Tyrion heard her say "too little", that he would misinterpret that and think that she means Jon is too short for her.

Yeah, Jon is definitely not "small" he's average; worldwide 5'8" is still average

Aside from the stupid shit about Benjen (are you fucking kidding me, "there's no time"? Just get on the goddamn horse idiot), that was a great episode.

I'm 1,86 cm tall by the so this is not coming from some deep traumas or anything, just a random thought :p

It was such a good moment!

OT: Your avatar is really cute!

What the fuck were the Chidren of the Forest on when they made the Night King?

How to make the ultimate weapon:

•Brings the storm: check
•Can raise the dead: Check
•Can turn babies to White Walkers: Check
•Immune to fire: check
•Has the throwing arm of 100 Tom Bradys: Check
•No plan contingency plan to shut this shit down: Check

Yeah The Children probably should have thought that shit through a little more before creating him

Nose Master

The white walkers getting a Dracula really killed all threat imo. All it will take is one rando with an obsidian knofe to take out the biggest threat to the world.

How many times did they remind us Targeryans regularly married within the family back in the day?

I think this episode was where the show jumped the shark. I'm fine with an undead dragon, hell I was expecting it but they way time and travel works is rushed and awful. Not to mention all the fake almost dying, it's shit dying.

The beginning fan service was the best part.

Top Bottom