• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But this means he's still Bran. If he wants to go home and get safe so that he can continue doing his job then that means he cares.

His job is being the Three Eyed Raven and he went there to do that job. What does that have anything to do with being Bran? I mean, yeah, he cares about beating the Night King and that's all he cares about, who said the Three Eyed Raven can't care about anything? The last one cared about Bran and training him because that was that guy's job.

I'm not seeing what dots you're connecting here. At all.

You're acting like I'm saying Bran is "nothing", he cares because he's the 3ER.
i'm acting like you're saying he's no longer Sansa or Arya's brother and I disagree. He's part of the wolf pack, that's why he went back to Winterfell. The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. And one of the wolves just happened to become a mystic, but he's still a goddamn Stark of Winterfell.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why didn't they have horses?

People say this a lot but maybe they didn't have any heavy winter horses on hand. You can go to a lot of places on foot you'd never be able to take a horse into. Remember the Night's Watch is understaffed and undersupplied, while the Dothraki horses are all plains/desert horses.

mokeyjoe

Y'all are reaching, this episode was a mess but nowhere near TWD levels. I'm personally waiting until the finale to gauge the quality of the overall season. My opinion is heavily contingent on payoff of the Winterfell plot threads and the meeting in Kings Landing.

Yes. I stopped watching TWD because it committed the worst crime of all - it bored me. Whatever GoT is doing it isn't boring me, and is unlikely to in the handful of remaining episodes.

If this was a movie we'd be in the last 15 mins now. It's gonna be mainly action and big clunking story arc conclusions every episode from here on in. The politicking and drama is done.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm torn how I feel about the show now. I'm happy I get to see an ending and some of the showdowns, interaction between major characters but the show seems like average fan fiction that is just checking boxes for what the fans want.

Winterfell story line is laughable. Bran has seen a lot of what LF has done but hasnt told his family, Arya has trained to be a world class assassin yet she is easily caught not even wearing a disguise, and Sansa has lectured everyone for the last 2 seasons what LF is capable of and she still trust him over others... No idea which storyline would be worst LF playing the Starks again or telegraphing the Stark kids playing LF

I'm desperately hoping Bran, Sansa and Arya are collectively playing 20 Dimensional chess with Littlefinger, but who knows. I still think Arya > Sansa any day though.

Diabelli

People say this a lot but maybe they didn't have any heavy winter horses on hand. You can go to a lot of places on foot you'd never be able to take a horse into. Remember the Night's Watch is understaffed and undersupplied, while the Dothraki horses are all plains/desert horses.

I can roll with that. I guess it would have just made people complain less if they had one horse carrying the dragon glass or whatever that Gendry could have used to travel back.

Einchy

but he's still a goddamn Stark of Winterfell.

You have this weird thing where things are explained in a bunch of detail, characters outright say it but you're, like, "I reject your reality and substitute my own".

How many times does Bran have to say he is no longer Bran and will not be lord of Winterfell before you believe him? How many times will he have to say goodbye to someone he used to care about and now gives zero fucks about?

His job is being the Three Eyed Raven and he went there to do that job. What does that have anything to do with being Bran? I mean, yeah, he cares about beating the Night King and that's all he cares about, who said the Three Eyed Raven can't care about anything? The last one cared about Bran and training him because that was that guy's job.

I'm not seeing what dots you're connecting here. At all.
You don't have to see the dots since you have your own way of explaining things. This discussion started over a debate of why Bran wasn't in this episode. Some people say it's because Bran is the 3 eyed raven and doesn't care, and what I say is that it's bad writing.

His job is being the 3 eyed raven and he decided to go back to his ancestral home to do that, and that has EVERYTHING to do with him being Bran. He didn't run off to some isolated place, he went home.

What also sucks is that we may not have a repeat of Aegon's conquest, who used his three dragons to conquer Westeros. Dany lost one out of three. Might need to change Targaryan banner now.

Femto.

Took me a while, but I finally realized that Uncle Benjen is basically just Skull Knight.

dead2.gif

Einchy

His job is being the 3 eyed raven and he decided to go back to his ancestral home to do that, and that has EVERYTHING to do with him being Bran. He didn't run off to some isolated place, he went home.

Because that's where he needed to go to fight the Night King...

FiggyCal

Banned
You don't have to see the dots since you have your own way of explaining things. This discussion started over a debate of why Bran wasn't in this episode. Some people say it's because Bran is the 3 eyed raven and doesn't care, and what I say is that it's bad writing.

Maybe its because there is a Weirwood tree at Winterfell.

Tevious

So I've been trying to do a bit of maths in that regards. So Westeros is supposed to be a fictional version of Great Britain with a bit more land mass. Let's say that the distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone is roughly the same distance between Edinburgh and London which is 414 miles give or take a few extra miles, so let's say 430 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. I did some googling and apparently ravens can fly at a speed of ~28 miles per hour, so 430/28 gives you ~15 hours. Now this is where the maths gets even more fuzzy, not knowing the flight speed of dragons I'm going to assume that they fly at least twice as fast as a raven, so (430 miles to Eastwatch + 20 miles maybe? to where ever jon snow and the gang walked) / 56 the minimum flight speed of dragons gives us, 8 hours. So 15 hours for the raven + 8 hours for the dragons gives us 23 hours.
Please take this with a massive grain of salt, all my facts and maths could be totally way off.

Another way we can determine how long they were out there is by the time it took for the lake to freeze back over after it cracked. Ice needs to be about 4 inches to support a person. Here's a chart I found:

62596_max.jpg

To add to your post. Given the clothing everyone was wearing, they were likely in at least 5F (or about -15C) temperatures. That means they were out there on that lake island for 36 hours or less before that ice turned thick enough to be walked on, depending on how cold it actually was. It did appear as though they spent just one night out on the island. They fought with the wights most likely in the morning.

So let's also say they left Eastwatch in the morning after breakfast and walked for a few hours before they found the whitewalker and the wights. People walk an average of 3.1 miles an hour; on snow it's probably less than that and there was that encounter with the wight bear too. They probably only traveled about 10 miles from Eastwatch, and likely not even in a straight line. The average person can run 10-15 miles per hour. Given that they were on snow, let's assume Gendry was on the slow side of that average. So he was likely only running an hour at most.

My guess is that entire trip before Danny arrived was probably a few hours more than a day, give or take a couple hours. And the temperatures were probably closer to -10F (or -23C). I'd love to speculate more on this, but I have an appointment to go to.

NolbertoS

Now that was a great episode. The Ice Dragon cometh, now its on bitches, Fire Dragon vs Ice Dragon. Man, wish Season 8 was around the corner :(

-griffy-

Banned
Considering when Gendry begins his run, the sun is up and it's night when he arrives, it's not hard to imagine him making the run.

Yeah I thought they actually went to some effort to explain the logistics. They walk a few hours north of Eastwatch. Get ambushed and Gendry leaves. Get stranded on the rock island during the day, Gendry arrives at Eastwatch at nightfall. Raven travels overnight to Dragonstone, Dany leaves right when she gets it the next day.

Like, it would take a long ass time to get to Eastwatch from Dragonstone on foot or by boat, but traveling "as the dragon flies" kind of throws all that out travel time out the window and I'm willing to give them some leeway.

I'm with you in that I don't get why he isn't doing shit to help against the white walkers. Like someone else said, he should have had some job there with their plan to kidnap the wight. Alerting Dany that they needed help would have been so much better than sending Gendry off to send a raven.

kswiston

Don't know why everyone doesn't understand why NK went for Visy over drogon. What we all just witnessed was an acquisition of assets. Business 101...aka a hostile takeover lol.

Drogon's spec'd way too heavily into regen for the spear to be as effective on him.

Viyserion has been saving his level ups since Mereen. He was weak when alive, but now the Night's King can custom spec him. Regen would have been useless on an undead dragon.

You have this weird thing where things are explained in a bunch of detail, characters outright say it but you're, like, "I reject your reality and substitute my own".
I could say the same thing about you man. I'm sure I wasn't the only one disgusted by the Cersei defense.

How many times does Bran have to say he is no longer Bran and will not be lord of Winterfell before you believe him? How many times will he have to say goodbye to someone he used to care about and now gives zero fucks about?
he said he's not really Bran 1 time, he only said goodbye to someone and not give a fuck 1 time, and since then, he's shown improvement in his behavior. if that's not the way you interpreted his arc this season, then it's not my problem

I'm desperately hoping Bran, Sansa and Arya are collectively playing 20 Dimensional chess with Littlefinger, but who knows. I still think Arya > Sansa any day though.

Someone pointed out to me when Arya breaks into LF room, she is incredibly quiet. When she leaves she kind of loudly slams the lock back into place. On top of that they are both very aware of one another, and Arya has incredibly keen senses. I think Arya is manipulating Sansa so she can get LF to let his guard down and reveal some information--granted I only watched the first 30-40 minutes of tonights episode so maybe something happens that implies otherwise. It would stand to reason that if Arya wanted to exploit LF she would have to make him think he was winning still.

I could say the same thing about you man. I'm sure I wasn't the only one disgusted by the Cersei defense.

he said he's not really Bran 1 time, he only said goodbye to someone and not give a fuck 1 time, and since then, he's shown improvement in his behavior. if that's not the way you interpreted his arc this season, then it's not my problem
And I take him saying he isn't Bran as him not saying he isn't Bran...but more as I'm not JUST Bran" anymore. Meaning Bran should still be there in him.

FiggyCal

Banned
Someone pointed out to me when Arya breaks into LF room, she is incredibly quiet. When she leaves she kind of loudly slams the lock back into place. On top of that they are both very aware of one another, and Arya has incredibly keen senses. I think Arya is manipulating Sansa so she can get LF to let his guard down and reveal some information--granted I only watched the first 30-40 minutes of tonights episode so maybe something happens that implies otherwise. It would stand to reason that if Arya wanted to exploit LF she would have to make him think he was winning still.

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure about exactly when it happens, but you may have missed a pretty important scene.

Because that's where he needed to go to fight the Night King...
v
Maybe its because there is a Weirwood tree at Winterfell.
well he was already at one of those trees last season, but he decided to get safe. why would he care about the safety of his family, of the world, if he wasn't in touch with his humanity?
I'm with you in that I don't get why he isn't doing shit to help against the white walkers. Like someone else said, he should have had some job there with their plan to kidnap the wight. Alerting Dany that they needed help would have been so much better than sending Gendry off to send a raven.
the whole Gendry thing this episode...the entirety of this episode is a whole nother matter and Bran not being in it is part of the problem. I'm sure he's going to step in and do something in the next episode and his absence was just to not interrupt the stupid Winterfell drama that the showrunners are building here.

Einchy

Disgusted? The fuck?

He didn't care about Sansa and Meera, has said he isn't Bran anymore and has said he will never be the Lord of Winterfell but you're, like, "nah, he's Bran".

I guess he needs to carry a neon sign around his wheelchair that says "I'M NOT BRAN ANYMORE".

And I take him saying he isn't Bran as him not saying he isn't Bran...but more as I'm not JUST Bran" anymore. Meaning Bran should still be there in him.
yeah I could definitely roll with this more than the whole "there is no Bran Stark anymore" taking.
Bran should've been in this episode. That's for sure.
AND WHERE'S GHOST?
He was namedropped by Sansa in the last episode. "Did Jon think that all the Northern lords would sit around and wait for him like Ghost?"

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Night King just pulled off the greatest steal of a trade deal in Westerosi history.

Team Living gains a bench warmer zombie, and the Night King acquired his Cristiano Ronaldo. Fucking genius plan Tyrion.

Fuck this shit. Oh and Jon can fuck right off with that bullshit "let me quickly max out my XP before completing the level" shit he pulled.

Einchy

v

well he was already at one of those trees last season, but he decided to get safe. why would he care about the safety of his family, of the world, if he wasn't in touch with his humanity?

He cares about defeating the Night King. That's his whole purpose.

Why would he stay North of the Wall? Why would he go anywhere else but Winterfell when it has a Wayward tree and it has the army that's going to fight the Night King? He can't do anything if he dies or travels to a place where no one knows who he is or will believe him. He has to go to Winterfell to fight the Night King and not because he wants to see the family he didn't even care when he saw.

HMD

So if killing the Night King kills all white walkers he turned, why didn't the Night King die when the Children of The Forest died in the Three Eyed Raven's cave?

Disgusted? The fuck?
Yes, disgusted

He didn't care about Sansa and Meera, has said he isn't Bran anymore and has said he will never be the Lord of Winterfell but you're, like, "nah, he's Bran".

I guess he needs to carry a neon sign around his wheelchair that says "I'M NOT BRAN ANYMORE".
If he didn't care about Sansa then he wouldn't have said to her that he's "sorry for the things that happened to her at home" and as I showed you, his dismissal of Meera was a notice to him to put forth effort in being more human.

He doesn't need a neon sign but maybe I need one to tell you "WATCH THE WAY YOU WANT AND I'LL WATCH THE WAY I WANT"

Loved the episode. Absolutely stellar.

I feel for the people calculating the flight speed of ravens and the time it takes for water to freeze. I can't even imagine living like that. Seek help.

Top Bottom