• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Why did the best javelin thrower of all time aim for the flying dragon rather than drogon, the sitting target.

I was thinking after it happened that the knight King may actually be bran, or someone good, and he needs the dragon to actually fight someone else.

But then he takes a shot at drogon as it flies away. This was the most confusing part of the show for me.

duckroll

Why did the best javelin thrower of all time aim for the flying dragon rather than drogon, the sitting target.

I was thinking after it happened that the knight King may actually be bran, or someone good, and he needs the dragon to actually fight someone else.

But then he takes a shot at drogon as it flies away. This was the most confusing part of the show for me.

He committed to the attack early and got stuck in an animation lock. There's supposed to be a patch for that but it's still in certification.

Carcetti

Jon Snow vs Karl Tanner
Giant firing harpoon arrow
Wall Scythe
Wunwun at Hardhome
Undead avalanche
Jon Snow vs Unnamed White Walker
Night King Come At Me Bro
Jorgen Stab Stab Stab
Weak Men Will Never Rule Dorne Again
Summer Suicide Charge
Hold the Door
Amazing Single Take of Jon Kicking Ass
Jon Snow climbing out of the mountain of corpses
Cersei Sipping Wine and BOOOOOOOM (Play of the Game)
Drogon Roasting the Caravans
Bronne firing Scorpion into Dothraki

LOL.

All of that stuff has a single common factor that we can't discuss in this thread by definition.

Of all things I didn't like in this episode, I think it was the second Deus ex machine that upsets me the most. Benjen even used the cliché line of "There's no time". Even tho letting a half to the death frozen guy ride a horse on his own is a a terrible idea.
My suspense of disbelieve can only accept a certain amount of BS, and this episode went overboard.

Yeah, we fully entered fuckless territory last night. I'm enjoying it, but yea

Before this season I was like "I really don't mind if George doesn't finish the books", and after this season I'm like "I will definitely read those books if they are released." lol.

nubbe

The collision of extreme cold and extreme heat causes an explosion
maybe

oh boy.. didn't notice that lmao. The episode was pretty damn good but could have been truly incredibly with some.. better writing. Most people are talking about it.

Things I'm hoping for the finale
- Tyrion doesn't get played and continues to be the dumbest fucking person in Westeros
- LF/Arya/Sansa storyline has a great ending, since I'm not sure what's happening atm... I'm awaiting for the payoff before I make up my pov. Certainly interesting despite Arya fighting Tyrion for this ep as the dumbest human on the show (though it could be a ruse?) Intrigued.
- bring the sense of dread back. It looks like tv level when you see fake out deaths. Jon falls particular through ice to save himself. NK has seen him kill one of his own and based on what he can see that might be his biggest threat to stop him from achieving his goal. Doesn't stay to ensure he's dead but leaves including most of the Wights because.. well I don't fucking know. Jon can keep his body underwater in freezing temperatures for a long time apparently. Why? Reasons. He comes out of it, and Benjen saves him. Instead of both of them riding, Benjen has no time. This is the fault of the director IMO, it's his job to show that which he failed because I was thinking why isn't he joining him lol? So yes, please no more of this.

You think that was confusing?

Explain why the greatest javelin thrower of all time... didn't just throw a javelin at the guys sitting there completely defenceless.

Or use their "make it fucking cold like we did about five times in the series before" power to make the ice more solid.

Or why they didn't just make a couple of dead guys test the ice...given they are already dead anyway.

There are many such questions.

I think the question of "what the fuck is littlefinger even supposed to be doing these days" is meant to distract from all this. It tends to work.

Crispy75

Feels like a bit of a cop-out that the Westeros All-Stars suddenly had like five extra guys this episode. Last week we were all worried about our buds dying in the battle, but luckily Ser Randomguy of House Didn't-appear-in-the-last-episode and his bannermen were there to serve as cannon fodder so only Thoros of Myr had to die a named death.

The wildling redshirts were shown walking behind the all-stars as they left the tunnel at the end of last episode.

JDB

Banned

The white walkers are actually fleeing the REAL winter that is coming from all the way up north!

samn

Explain why the greatest javelin thrower of all time... didn't just throw a javelin at the guys sitting there completely defenceless.

Or use their "make it fucking cold like we did about five times in the series before" power to make the ice more solid.

Or why they didn't just make a couple of dead guys test the ice...given they are already dead anyway.

I think the question of "what the fuck is littlefinger even supposed to be doing these days" is meant to distract from all this. It tends to work.

Maybe they were trying to lure the dragons there so they could capture them.

As for shooting the faraway dragon, this makes perfect sense as a TF2 heavy player. You go for the most distant medic first before they turn a corner and escape, then focus on the nearer player who won't have had time to get away.

It's also not entirely clear why the Night King keeps so many White Walkers in his personal retinue if he's only going to use one of them as a golf caddie.

Maybe they're a self-esteem team.

KorrZ

I think the Night King is just all about the intimidation. He could have killed Jon and the crew on that island easily. I just don't think he actually sees Jon (or anyone for that matter) as a threat, more of a curiosity to play around with.

Volcane

Actual pic of Raven sent to Dragonstone:-

RfWHDsu.png

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I hope after the series is over and they release a box set that they go back and replace season 1 Beric with the current one. Beric even mentioned the scene in the last episode but if you go back and watch it you see this dude.

8EBXnrV.png

I know the Mountain and Daario had different actors too but I think it would be rather easy to fix this since it's just one brief scene.

Jerry

It's a shame the series has come to this.

You would think thats its popularity would warrant a bigger budget and hence, more episodes.

Its rushed, and suffering for it.

Another thing, if people want to excuse the ridiculousness of the groups survival and escape, or how they survived the last wave of the attack because the Night King wanted just the dragon, there are actual ways to go about this.

1) Show that the initial White Walker scouting party was a deliberate trap, not just have the Wight call the main group (which is clearly just another branch of the larger army of the dead). Have the White Walker attempt to escape and distract the group with a few straggling Wights. White Walkers have some semblance of self preservation and independent thought as well as emotion (Like when Jon shocked the White Walker with his sword being able to stop an attack), would a White Walker sacrifice himself like that? There are limited White Walkers, considering their production method is now basically gone.

2) Skip the Wights from falling into the lake. If the plan was to have Danny come in to save the group and use them as bait for the set up of killing the dragon, actually show that the plan was to entrap them and play the waiting game. As it stands, I assume the White Walkers wanted to kill the group, but simply failed at doing so, even when logistically there is no reasonable way they could have held that location when they were completely surrounded and had no visible choke point.

3) Have the characters talk about the fact they were possibly set up. Instead of showing giant chains after the battle, have a group of Wights in the distance dragging the cold iron, and have someone make note of it. Have someone make note of if they are being set up, if this was all a trap, have arguments and conflict within the small stone island of what to do, and how they can possibly defeat an enemy that is clearly one step ahead of them.

Good drama has irony. If the group started to string together the fact that they are leading Danny into a trap, there is tension in having the groups own survival at odds with the fact that they are falling right into the Night Kings plans.

When I was watching it, I was thinking that the Knights King knew the dragons were coming, hence why he didn't kill the guys on the rock. Also, for some reason he wants Jon snow alive, this would be true if the kk is bran, as some theories suggest.

So I was watching it thinking that they are waiting for the dragons to come, the dragons kill all/lots of wights and then the kk kills a dragon so he can ride one.

It was sort of going to plan with that theory, until the wights charged them when they were on the rock. Even up until when he killed the dragon, while deliberately missing drogon. But when he took a pot shot at drogon, the theory went out the window.

It would have been better if it was only 100 or so wights waiting around the rock, and the Knights King and the rest of the army only arrive, after drogon has taken flight with the the men. Jon gets left behind and the other two dragons go to save him, he gets on one and flies off but the Knights King manages to kill the third dragon.

hoos30

This argument would make a lot more sense if Ben hadn't rode in on a bloody horse, and Jon hadn't ridden all the way back to the Wall on the bloody horse.

In this show, they have ranged beyond the wall by foot and by horse many times. Just doesn't seem like something to get worked up over.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Feels like a bit of a cop-out that the Westeros All-Stars suddenly had like five extra guys this episode. Last week we were all worried about our buds dying in the battle, but luckily Ser Randomguy of House Didn't-appear-in-the-last-episode and his bannermen were there to serve as cannon fodder so only Thoros of Myr had to die a named death.
They are there at the end of last weeks episode. The redshirts are pulling something (this ep we find out its a sled) behind the main characters.

edit:

After rewatching this is one of the best episodes of the series. That this dragon vs undead battle came so early has me wondering where things are going to go from here.

Well if we are going into benefit of the doubt territory we have seen the NK recognise Bran when doing the three eyed raven shit.

So maybe the NK can see whatever he wants too, saw the dragons, made some plans and did the 4D chess shit to get himself a dragon... but then the plan went to shit when the hound threw a rock and ... yeah nope.

It all begs the question why Bran is spending his whole day trying to look up Sansa's wedding dress rather than passing on useful information like that. Is there going to be payoff for all this? Seems unlikely.

I hope after the series is over and they release a box set that they go back and replace season 1 Beric with the current one. Beric even mentioned the scene in the last episode but if you go back and watch it you see this dude.

8EBXnrV.png

I know the Mountain and Daario had different actors too but I think it would be rather easy to fix this since it's just one brief scene.

I'd love it if they kept swapping his eye-patch between eyes and see how long it takes for anyone to notice, Young Frankenstein style.

Calderc

Have those big ass ice spears been in the show before? I'm guessing they're something special seeing as it fucked up the dragon so badly.

In this show, they have ranged beyond the wall by foot and by horse many times. Just doesn't seem like something to get worked up over.

It's just poor writing. Think about this:

Instead of sending Gendry back because he's "the fastest" (by whatever metric they determined that; I guess because he's young), you bring some horses. The horses all get savaged by the bear except for one, and you actually have an excuse for why you can only send a single rider back to get help.

You also have at least some suspension of disbelief improvement in that your rider to the Wall can get there much faster--still not fast enough to really justify Dany's eleventh hour rescue, but at least it would be somewhat less absurd.

I'm all for convenient plot devices, but if you're going to use them the first thing you should do is spread them all out in front of you and pick the best one, rather than just defaulting to the easiest and dumbest.

the shows budget is excellent
It doesn't feel like we've seen anything this season that would constitute the bigger budget per episode/ less episode reasoning yet.

Last night's episode didn't feel any bigger than hardhome with the exception of dragons. Which I'm sure are not cheap.but they had big Dragon scenes last season and they didn't have to cut episodes.

I dont get what there doing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well if we are going into benefit of the doubt territory we have seen the NK recognise Bran when doing the three eyed raven shit.

So maybe the NK can see whatever he wants too, saw the dragons, made some plans and did the 4D chess shit to get himself a dragon... but then the plan went to shit when the hound threw a rock and ... yeah nope.

It all begs the question why Bran is spending his whole day trying to look up Sansa's wedding dress rather than passing on useful information like that. Is there going to be payoff for all this? Seems unlikely.

Can Bran see the future? Maybe hes just going through the motions of what needs to be done because hes "seen" how it all turns out. Maybe the living doesnt win?

edit:

i also like the opening show of the table tactical map of Westeros and how the map stops at the wall and anything beyond doesnt even exist as far as the old rulers were concerned.

duckroll

It doesn't feel like we've seen anything this season that would constitute the bigger budget per episode/ less episode reasoning yet.

Last night's episode didn't feel any bigger than hardhome with the exception of dragons. Which I'm sure are not cheap.but they had big Dragon scenes last season and they didn't have to cut episodes.

I dont get what there doing.

No one is cutting episodes. The showrunners just don't want to do the show anymore. They want to finish it and move on to depicting an alternate reality where black people in America are still slaves. Oh wait.

It's just poor writing. Think about this:

Instead of sending Gendry back because he's "the fastest" (by whatever metric they determined that; I guess because he's young), you bring some horses. The horses all get savaged by the bear except for one, and you actually have an excuse for why you can only send a single rider back to get help.

You also have at least some suspension of disbelief improvement in that your rider to the Wall can get there much faster--still not fast enough to really justify Dany's eleventh hour rescue, but at least it would be somewhat less absurd.

I'm all for convenient plot devices, but if you're going to use them the first thing you should do is spread them all out in front of you and pick the best one, rather than just defaulting to the easiest and dumbest.

See if this was season 5 or 6 they could have taken the time to show Gendry winning the knights watch 5k with a record time. It could have been a three episode arc with Jaime involved somehow that showed how a blacksmith could run for long distances in environmental conditions he had never been in before in his life.

But now we miss out on all this interesting detail :|

Can Bran see the future? Maybe hes just going through the motions of what needs to be done because hes "seen" how it all turns out. Maybe the living doesnt win?

He can see the NK seeing the dragons and making their plans. Of course he might have also pointed out that someone could have died a metre on the other side of the wall, came back to life and then they could have taken that creature back without any trouble at all.

nubbe

Have you seen the Night King in the latest episode? Bad guy finally shows of his strength and defeats one of the strongest of the opposite side with ease is one of the animest anime shit.

It is a magical creature defeating another magical creature
Well within the structure of the show

Majmun

There were three dragons. Was it so hard spitting fire at the knight king and his crew? They were standing basically 30feet next to Dany and Jon.

And they saw the danger after the dragon got killed. Instead if terminating the danger with a few hot breaths, they flew away.

See if this was season 5 or 6 they could have taken the time to show Gendry winning the knights watch 5k with a record time. It could have been a three episode arc with Jaime involved somehow that showed how a blacksmith could run for long distances in environmental conditions he had never been in before in his life.

But now we miss out on all this interesting detail :|

You're completely misunderstanding (or purposefully misrepresenting) my complaint; I never said they would need to do any extra scenes to set anything up, I merely posed a method by which existing scenes could have been written to make more sense and also probably execute much better on screen.

Blader

Some fuck on Instagram of all places spoiled for me that a dragon was getting killed in this episode.

I'm shocked Berric made it out of this episode. This seemed like a mission that was written entirely to kill him and Thoros off.

It's a shame the series has come to this.

You would think thats its popularity would warrant a bigger budget and hence, more episodes.

Its rushed, and suffering for it.

The show hasn't run out of money. They could do more episodes, but the show wouldn't come out annually. Not that different from why seasons 1-6 were 10 episodes each rather than 13. They only have so much to make so many episodes.

roytheone

So, considering that killing a white walker also kills all his zombie underlings, couldn't you just arm the dothraki army with dragon glass spears and make them charge towards the white walkers? They don't seem that much of a threat with such a huge weakness.

Oberon

Banned

Have you SEEN how beautiful she was wearing that wedding dress?
gfwvupY.jpg

Top Bottom