• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I didn't enjoy that at all, so apologies if I am in the minority. But I am so worried this show is gonna be remembered for the last 2 seasons having serious pacing issues. Does not having full source material mean they can't develop out the final journeys properly, as done in the past?

I mean, Sam shows up, sits down with Bran, and the biggest worst kept secret is just talked about over a casual cup of tea and a custard cream. Accompanied with a shoehorned flashback scene on the side.

The Littlefinger turn.... Was literally a turn of the head. Along with the Job Snow thing.... When you are the author of a book, or director of a TV show and you know the audience knows what's going on, you still do your best to make those beats hit, and hit hard. But it feels like they sat down with GRRM and said, "ok bud. We need to finish this, but we have no source material to go of. So what beats have we to hit to get to the end? ... Ok, right, right, so this happens, then this, then this. Cool. Done"

Maybe I am too tired, but I am very underwhelmed the more I think about it.

tumblr_ovdjrxxu6V1r1uq0jo1_500.png

Kusagari

You guys realize Dany is pregnant now, right? My boi Aegon don't shoot blanks.

I mean it's obvious. All the foreshadowing has been obvious as all hell since we left the books.

So the Jon and Dany conversation about the witch being wrong obviously means the witch was wrong and Dany's getting pregnant.

kc44135

Real talk did they have to make that sex scene awkward as fuck with Bran narrating about Jon's lineage over them doing the deed? Like LMAO with that shit.
I think it was supposed to be awkward. You're supposed to feel uneasy about what Jim's true identity and lineage could mean for his and Dany's relationship, and how they both might react when the truth is revealed. I personally have no idea how that will go down.
Today"s episode basically confirmed Cleganebowl.

The show is in full fanservice mode now, so there's no way Cleganebowl isn't happening. That scene is basically the writers telling you "hey, we didn't have the time/money for it this year, but next year... Cleganebowl is coming..."

Boke1879

I didn't enjoy that at all, so apologies if I am in the minority. But I am so worried this show is gonna be remembered for the last 2 seasons having serious pacing issues. Does not having full source material mean they can't develop out the final journeys properly, as done in the past?

I mean, Sam shows up, sits down with Bran, and the biggest worst kept secret is just talked about over a casual cup of tea and a custard cream. Accompanied with a shoehorned flashback scene on the side.

The Littlefinger turn.... Was literally a turn of the head. Along with the Job Snow thing.... When you are the author of a book, or director of a TV show and you know the audience knows what's going on, you still do your best to make those beats hit, and hit hard. But it feels like they sat down with GRRM and said, "ok bud. We need to finish this, but we have no source material to go of. So what beats have we to hit to get to the end? ... Ok, right, right, so this happens, then this, then this. Cool. Done"

Maybe I am too tired, but I am very underwhelmed the more I think about it.

It won't be remembered for that at all. People are loving this shit.

Kyoufu

Ok so here's the all important question I need to ask: Is Aegon official book canon or is this some shit some intern at HBO made up?

jediyoshi

So are Tormund and Beric dead now? Seeing as they are two of my favorite characters....that would suck lol.

No one is allowed to die offscreen!

I'm curious whether the implication is that all the wildlings are done. Tormund's plot armor was that we didn't have another representative for the wildlings and there's no time to introduce another, but this would solve that.

Ok so here's the all important question I need to ask: Is Aegon official book canon or is this some shit some intern at HBO made up?

We'll only need to check back 20 years from now.

Ponn

Banned
All of this because Tyrion thought it'd be a good idea to capture a white walker. A lot of good that did. Perhaps Tyrion should be an advisor for Trump.

To be fair everyone saw it and the news will spread, it will cause dissent for what Cersei is doing. It caused Jaime to leave, it took Euron off the board so to speak and it will only cause Cersei to sink deeper into dementia.

Damn good episode.

Wish they would have taken some time to acknowledge the magic that was supposed to be preventing the undead army from crossing the wall though.

Like... Technically, if Jon and the party had never crossed the wall and lost the dragon to the Night King, would the undead army have ever been capable of crossing?

I was worried for a second there that Tyrion would just come back, say that Cersei agreed to help, and that'd be it. Then we she betrayed them later, the blame would be placed on Tyrion. Glad that didn't happen.

So, I know people have been a little down on this season (especially the last episode which seemed very polarizing), but what did y'all think of that? For me, Season 4 and 6 both have pretty memorable finales, but I think this easily takes the cake as the best finale episode of the series (so far). I felt that it was mostly well written, well paced, and had plently of great character moments and interactions. All of the stuff at King's landing was aces, Littlefinger's demise was so well done that it more or less made the dumb Winterfell arch this season worthwhile, and the Wall coming down... Holy hell, that was just about the best cliffhanger you could have left this season on (also, c'mon guys, this is the penultimate season. It had to end on a cliffhanger). So, yeah, best Thrones finale for me. What say ye, GAF?
In terms of pacing and tension, I think it was the best, but for me, nothing beats the end of the season 6 finale, with Dany, the Dothraki, and her dragons finally sailing for Westeros

Easily the worst season. All these huge events should be incredible but they're just awkwardly handled or extremely obvious.

This show has lost all sense of the pacing, dialogue and characters that made it so good. An enormous cast now feels like it's about 10 people and the world seems twice as small with the teleportation.

Weiss/Benioff have been pretty exposed without the source material providing a framework.

Oddduck

That was a great finale.

The Arya/Sansa/LittleFinger story had a satisfying conclusion.
Theon and Jon Snow have made peace with each other.
Jamie Lanister has abandoned #TeamCersei.
And the finale's ending sets up the final season perfectly.

Vectorman

Banned
I think it was supposed to be awkward. You're supposed to feel uneasy about what Jim's true identity and lineage could mean for his and Dany's relationship, and how they both might react when the truth is revealed. I personally have no idea how that will go down.

Yeah that's the interesting part about it as well. Dany might take it better than Jon to be honest lol. Jon is a sensitive soul who makes bad decisions and the reveal that he fucked and possibly knocked up his aunt might be too much for him.

Glad the season ended on a good episode.

My quibble that may or may not be answered next season is what the hell was the Night King's plan if he didn't hijack not-Drogon.

Top Bottom