• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Vectorman

Banned
Man and to think we all would be fine with the ending of the episode if they had not shot Tyrion pulling a weird LF pose. Maybe have him talk to Varys about the situation instead? It wasn't like Varys had been used much so you could have done that. If anything, I'm shocked the editor thought that shot was fine and let it pass. Maybe have Jorah there and have Tyrion elsewhere looking forlorn somewhere else idk.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's not really a deal though. It's a "you know, if Dany winds up raising your kid, she can't have her own you know, she may well decide he/she's the right person to succeed her after she's gone" thing. She'll have to pick someone at some point, why not the kid she's raised almost from birth and instilled with her own values?

He doesn't need to make it a deal, the situation would be such that she'd potentially make the decision on her own.

But at the end of the day, that isn't something he can guarantee to Cersei. Cersei strolled up there with her whole, "I'm going to help you guys, so just remember after everything, I did this with no guarantees of any kind from any of you!" So if Tyrion made a promise, it is a secret promise made behind Dany and Jon's backs, and Cersei concealed the deal.

If true, Tyrion needs to be booted. Secret deals that are publicly and intentionally kept hidden, makes him very dangerous. Cersei made a public spectacle of their being no assurances given to her, and that she was supporting them because she wanted to do the right thing.

Tyrion: "Hey Dany and Jon by the way, there totally was assurances and deals made *wink*"

Something's been bugging me... why did the 3ER make it such a big deal that Jon "had to know" his lineage, especially given that he has seen the impending doom headed their way? So what if Jon/Aegon's claim to the throne is legit? That really doesn't matter at this point, given what he has seen.

3ER/Bran: "Oh, hey Jon, btw - your name really isn't Jon. It's Aegon Targaryen, your father was Rhaegar and your mother was Lyanna Stark. You aren't a bastard, so your claim to the throne is legit, yo!"

*mic drop*

Huge numbers for last night and this season of GoT:

- EW: Game of Thrones finale is the most-watched episode ever
Game of Thrones did it again, one last time, for its penultimate season: Sunday’s super-sized finale broke HBO’s ratings records and stands as the show’s most-watched episode ever.

A total of 12.1 million viewers tuned in for the 9 p.m. airing — up 13 percent from the previous record high two weeks earlier and 36 percent higher than the season 6 finale. If you add replays and streaming, that number goes to 16.5 million.
- NY Mag: Game of Thrones Season Seven Smashes Yet Another Record for HBO
Even before Sunday’s finale gets figured in, HBO calculates that episodes of the show’s seventh season are averaging a best-ever 30.6 million viewers across multiple platforms. That’s nearly 8 million viewers (and a whopping 35 percent) ahead of the same point last season, when the network estimated the show’s pre-finale audience at 23.3 million viewers. After the season-six finale, that number ultimately rose another 11 percent, to 26 million viewers. Assuming the same sort of growth — we’ll update this post with same-day numbers for “The Dragon and the Wolf” from Nielsen when they arrive — it seems a safe bet that season seven will end up with an average gross audience north of 33 million viewers.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Something's been bugging me... why did the 3ER make it such a big deal that Jon "had to know" his lineage, especially given that he has seen the impending doom headed their way? So what if Jon/Aegon's claim to the throne is legit? That really doesn't matter at this point, given what he has seen.

3ER/Bran: "Oh, hey Jon, btw - your name really isn't Jon. It's Aegon Targaryen, your father was Rhaegar and your mother was Lyanna Stark. You aren't a bastard, so your claim to the throne is legit, yo!"

*mic drop*
Gotta ride that dragon son.

RDreamer

Yeah, the lone snag in the episode. Lol it was so stupid. There had to have been better ideas than that!

I also wish my girl Melisandre was in the season more :(

The idea behind the scene is pretty sound. Theon's been through so goddamned much that beating the fuck out of him isn't really going to work anymore if he's determined.

Actually ending it on the comical note that he can't feel getting kneed in the dick three fucking times, though... yeah that sucked.

*mic drop*

What bugged me more is that he made it such a big deal that Jon had to know it BEFORE even knowing Jon wasn't a bastard, lol.

But at the end of the day, that isn't something he can guarantee to Cersei. Cersei strolled up there with her whole, "I'm going to help you guys, so just remember after everything, I did this with no guarantees of any kind from any of you!" So if Tyrion made a promise, it is a secret promise made behind Dany and Jon's backs, and Cersei concealed the deal. If true, Tyrion needs to be booted. Secret deals that are publicly and intentionally kept hidden, makes him very dangerous.

Why would Tyrion make any effort to uphold his side of any deal when Cersei doesn't? I'm not down with the Tyrion Treason theories.

Heshinsi

Why would Tyrion make any effort to uphold his side of any deal when Cersei doesn't? I'm not down with the Tyrion Treason theories.

It makes no logical sense. With Cersei publicly declaring that no deals were made to get her to pledge her support, that puts Tyrion into a really weird spot trying to explain how he actully did trade the future of the crown away.

UberLevi

That Theon beach scene was so bad.

I absolutely loved it.

tumblr_ovdpjasHn61vp4s1wo1_540.gif

tumblr_ovdpjasHn61vp4s1wo3_540.gif

tumblr_ovdpjasHn61vp4s1wo2_540.gif

I've been waiting like five seasons for this motherfucker's redemption arc to really kick in.

sangreal

*mic drop*

He didn't even know Jon was legitimate when he was going on about needing to speak to Jon and being the only one who knows the truth. He just thought he was a bastard cousin instead of bastard brother

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Someone else wrote that maybe Tyrion promised Cersei that he would make sure that her unborn child would succeed Dany in case of her death in exchange for Cersei's support in the war. So that's why he looked so concerned over Dany and Jon potentially making a baby and thus an actual successor to Dany.

Sounds plausible to me.

jfkgoblue

Crazy numbers for a premium channel. 12 million watching the Live HBO broadcast is insane. That is a hit even on broadcast television nowadays. I imagine Go/Now was slammed so it was hard to watch, but maybe I'm wrong, I watched it on the cable channel to avoid any buffering.

I mean, if Dany can't have kids then that child may well become the de facto successor to the throne. He probably pointed this out while making his pitch.
Why would Dany agree to bring up the usurper's kid, when he/she might grow up and take the crown?

Also does Tyrion know about incest and the kids' real father being Jaime?

Heshinsi

It's highly implausible lol. If he did it, Cersei's declaration makes him a liar and a sneak. That's how you end up getting executed for treason, and it brings into question every decision and advise he's made.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Crazy numbers for a premium channel. 12 million watching the Live HBO broadcast is insane. That is a hit even on broadcast television nowadays. I imagine Go/Now was slammed so it was hard to watch, but maybe I'm wrong, I watched it on the cable channel to avoid any buffering.

I was getting some issues with HBO Now yesterday, had to refresh the page after it froze a few times. Super annoying.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
The idea behind the scene is pretty sound. Theon's been through so goddamned much that beating the fuck out of him isn't really going to work anymore if he's determined.

Actually ending it on the comical note that he can't feel getting kneed in the dick three fucking times, though... yeah that sucked.

What bugged me more is that he made it such a big deal that Jon had to know it BEFORE even knowing Jon wasn't a bastard, lol.

If the reason Bran wants Jon to know is so that he can ride a dragon, it wouldn't matter if he's a bastard or not.

I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand it makes sense because Cersei is the one who has the developed backstory and we can get a really emotional ending for a bunch of characters.

Cersei is also so evil that she's worse than the Night King, who is just a rogue A.I created by magic.

Cersei also has a human side, as seen with her love for Jamie, but she's also tragic in her own way.

She is a fitting villain, and mirrors the mad king well enough. But for all of that, she just doesn't have the power that dragons or the undead have.

She can trick and scheme, but Dany and Jon have to be pretty dumb to fall for her any of tricks.

On the other hand, the Night King is too meta. His story is supernatural, and also divine in the roles that the God of Light and Dragons play. He also compliments Jon's story arc better.

I can't see the show having Cersei in the end because her battle would have to be between herself and Dany.

But the entire series is about the Starks and the White Walkers, so Jon/Night King has to be the ultimate fight.

But the ordering makes that difficult since we can't possibly have the entire season be between the dead and Jon Snow.

I wouldn't be surprised is Cersei sent her army in after the north and the dragon army gets rocked by the white walkers. From there I could see Cersei being the final boss.

sangreal

Why would Dany agree to bring up the usurper's kid, when he/she might grow up and take the crown?

Also does Tyrion know about incest and the kids' real father being Jaime?

Yes he does. I think he brought it up in his cell

Anyways Cersei flat out said she won't work with Tyrion in her confrontation with Jaime after that pregnancy scene

Go was flawless for me, like for every single live episode.

Haribi

The worldwide numbers have to be insane for this show. Basically everyone I know in Germany and Turkey under the age of 25 or so is watching the show. Every message board I know, even if it is a football site, is filled with discussions about the episode right after the airing. It really is a worldwide phenomenon.

The worldwide numbers have to be insane for this show. Basically everyone I know in Germany and Turkey under the age of 25 or so is watching the show. Every message board I know, even if it is a football site, is filled with discussions about the episode right after the airing. It really is a worldwide phenomenon.
I can bet you that people in India are even more crazy than Germany fans. Its a religion. FB, messageboards and forums are to the brim.

Ralemont

not me
I think we can all agree that whatever deal Tyrion made, it involved Cersei's (alleged) child. Which I personally think she doesn't even have, but whatever.

It's possible he simply promised safety for the child, but then the successor talk and Tyrion's weird behavior towards the Jon/Dany hookup doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense why they would conceal that info from the viewer when it isn't very shocking.

Putting aside "logic", the only thing that fits all the scenes/acting we've been given is that Tyrion made a secret promise that somehow involves Cersei's kid in the line of succession. Now maybe Cersei also lied and told Tyrion she knew it'd be a boy, in which case Tyrion promised her a marriage, or maybe it's just a straight "adopt" this kid and it'll be next in line.

At this point I doubt Tyrion cares whether it gets him thrown out or killed. Or, to put it better, he cared more about getting a deal done at the moment. Even if Dany rejects his terms once she learns of them, she can reject them AFTER the undead are done.

Why would Tyrion trust Cersei? Because caring for her children is the only consistency Cersei has shown. What he doesn't know, and why she betrays him, is that she doesn't actually have a kid.

So, yeah.

sangreal

I don't see how they can do much of a time jump.

The undead just walked through the wall.

Yeah and they don't need to sleep, eat, rape, pillage or anything. Honestly not sure how this fight against them is going to last more than an episode now that the wall is gone. Can't have any kind of drawn out siege or strategy

She had it coming tho, testified against him AND fucked his dad.
Yep that's really all I can think of, but it has been seven seasons so I might be forgetting something but really Tyrion is a good dude through and through.

I don't see how they can do much of a time jump.

The undead just walked through the wall.

Exactly. I doubt Cersei's gonna be able to deliver a baby next season, but I'm also expecting her to die. Maybe she'll survival and be imprisoned in a convent and Dany will allow the baby to be born.

sam12

Would like Jamie to survive and end up with Brienne. Was rooting for his redemption arc for a while now, guess better late than never

Also Samwell has turned out to be my lowkey favorite character in GoT. I think the actor does a terrific job of capturing the innocence, bravery and the good nature of Samwell Tarly. My dude ventures to the north, saves a wildling, adopts her incest baby as his own, vanquishes a white walker, figures out where Dragonglass is stashed, saves Jorah Fedora from greyscale suicide, and returns to Winterfell to be Jon's best bro, wildling and incest baby intact.

I will legit cry bucket of tears if anything happens to him. And that's the funny thing, so much good and righteousness doesnt live in GoTverse for so long.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Over 12 million viewers is absolute bonkers.

HBO is only available in something like 40 million homes, so they are hitting 25% of their potential buy in with GOT alone

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is there a gif of that double take LF made when he heard his name instead of Arya's? If not I'll make it myself.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is there a gif of that double take LF made when he heard his name instead of Arya's? If not I'll make it myself.

I saw some on Twitter but I wasn't able to get the link since it's classified as a video, I think. His blinking there is classic, dude was so shook.

What bothered me about the Rhaegar reveal is how fast it happened.

There was no room to breathe.

Hi I'm Sam Jon is a true targariyan. Blah blah.

They spent too much time on Theon who no one cares about at this point than one of the bigger reveals in the show.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
What do people think about Euron leaving?

At first I thought he was legitimately out.

Then after Cersei said he wasn't I figured that Cersei and him had planned, that if anything went off plan, he would leave pretending he was out.

But then I watched this HBO clip and I'm not so sure anymore.

If it was planned how would Cersei know they would show them something like a zombie. Him freaking out and leaving doesn't make sense without there being something fucked up there. So either Cersei is lying or the show tried too hard this time to make it seme like Cersei is such a mastermind.

Over 12 million viewers is absolute bonkers.

HBO is only available in something like 40 million homes, so they are hitting 25% of their potential buy in with GOT alone

And that's live viewers. The estimate is across all forms it hits 30 million an episode this season which is fucking crazy.

Factor in pirating in all of the places HBO isn't even available and you are probably talking easily 50+ million people watching GOT regularly

Slaythe

Shouldn't Theon still have balls by the way ?

A kick there should still hurt him.

Edit :

I feel like this is a perfect post for a new page.

Top Bottom