• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

rackham

Banned
I'm wondering why an essos mercenary company complete with war elephants would travel to westeros at the very start of winter knowing: the dothraki hordes are there, dragons are there, the unsullied are there, it's winter and they are going to have to fight in winter, and there can't possibly be enough food to feed everyone, it's going to be difficult to get back home, and they may learn that the north wall has fallen to an undead army marching south. No amount of money could possibly convince them to take those odds.
Could just be a set up for Cersei getting fucked over.

Honestly the only thing that really didn't make sense out of this whole season was the Ironborn following Theon to rescue Yara. Ironborn are scum.

Vectorman

Banned
I know, Jon (was it?) literally says "she may not have been the most reliable of sources" about the witch.

I mean the witch pretty much lied to Dany about Drogo and the child being alright so I can see her being a bitch and lie to Dany about having another kid.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If Dany gets pregnant, who flies Drogon into battle? Who flies Rheagal? I don't even know why Tyrion would be upset. Getting her pregnant is a sure fire way to deal with, "I saw a hundred arrows fly at you, and I saw a hundred arrows miss" Tyrion. You want your queen safe, that's how you get her out of the line of fire.

Lister

Banned
I think Jamie will be a major hero in the campaign against the Night King. To your question, his untold story would be about redemption and honor. I even think the writers may have his character earn a better version of king slayer. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for Jamie to be the character that lands the killing blow on the Night King, or Jamie and Brienne.

Either way, I think there's more to his story. I believe his King's Guard bio is about to get a lot more impressive.

But that juist doesn't sound like Game of Thrones to me. Sounds like something tha would happen on generic fantasy TV show X.

It's also repetative as they appear to be going that way with Theon.

Well, here's hopign they do find something interesting to do with Jaime.

Ralemont

not me
But that juist doesn't sound like Game of Thrones to me. Sounds like something tha would happen on generic fantasy TV show X.

I think it would be Thronesian in the sense that you expect Jon to actually be the Prince who was Promised, when it's actually Jaime. Something like that.

Heshinsi

Someone crafts him a dragon glass hand, so that he could just go around bitch slapping the undead to pieces.

Kind of feel like she was completely unhinged when she enabled the Westeros version of Isis, then blew up the Sept of Balor, then blamed Tyrion for everything etc. I don't think we need another thing showing us that she's crazy or unhinged. We've known that for a long time.

Not really, Cersei did those past things for pretty specific and sometimes desperate reasons, out of ruthless protection of her family/house/self-interest.

Executing Jaime would serve no purpose, in fact it would probably even weaken her authority. It would mark the point that her purely destructive nature, the snakes in her head, had taken control. "Hang the world, send it down the throats of the WW", in her words. Obviously the writers weren't prepared to go down this route with her.

Ralemont

not me
Yay more forced drama, with something that lasts all the way to point when Jaime tells them Cersei intends to fuck them up. They better not do this shit, it's so dumb.

I mean, it's gonna happen. Tyrion definitely gave up something to get Cersei's cooperation, and the scene cuts after he finds out/thinks she's pregnant. Then he side-eyes Jon/Dany. And finally the out-of-the-blue successor talk earlier in the season just to put some foreshadowing in.

Vectorman

Banned
Lmao, GRRM is waiting to see the backlash so that he can make the ending different in the books and get the praise :p .

At this point I can see that. Or he just ends it with people dying sooner, everyone dying, etc. Or gee, maybe he should have finished his damn books so we aren't here fighting each other over DnD's inferior writing.

Btw, I can totally see an ending where everyone mostly dies and Gendry somehow ends up on the Iron Throne and the story of GOT ends with a Baratheon on the throne just like how it started.

Heshinsi

Not really, Cersei did those past things for pretty specific and sometimes desperate reasons, out of ruthless protection of her family/house/self-interest.

Executing Jaime would serve no purpose, in fact it would probably even weaken her authority. It would mark the point that her purely destructive nature, the snakes in her head, had taken control. "Hang the world, send it down the throats of the WW", in her words. Obviously the writers weren't prepared to go down this route with her.

Which all came to ahead because Marg and her handmaidens were laughing at Cersei's expense. She flipped shit at Marg for calling her sister, and then a season later she's trying to act all humble and nice to her. But then she plots her downfall because Marg makes an old age joke at her expense, and she heard Marg and her girls giggling when she left.

"Ok let me arm ISIS and Ayatollah Sparrow, that would teach them for laughing at me!"

Seriously, fuck Cersei.

I just hope they don't have a pregnant Dany flying around on a dragon fighting the Knight King and his army. That would be super cheesy. I also don't want another "mother died giving birth" on here. That's already happened when Dany, Jon and Tyrion were born.

Someone crafts him a dragon glass hand, so that he could just go around bitch slapping the undead to pieces.

Why not craft him a sword hand? Like Protoman.exe or some shit:

protoman_exe_render_by_innermokaakashiya-d95aiph.png

bionic77

I can already see the start of the last episode.

The real ass winter has come to Kings Landing and it is surrounded by a giant army of the night. Title will probably be Winter Has Come.

The question is what macguffin are they going to use to defeat the army and bring the sun back to Westeros.

Heshinsi

I mean, it's gonna happen. Tyrion definitely gave up something to get Cersei's cooperation, and the scene cuts after he finds out/thinks she's pregnant. Then he side-eyes Jon/Dany. And finally the out-of-the-blue successor talk earlier in the season just to put some foreshadowing in.

*Opening episode next season*

Tyrion: "hey Jaime, why aren't you in your Lannister armour, and where's your troops?"

Jaime: "Cersei was never planning to honour her commitments to you guys, and she's bringing in mercenaries to destroy whoever is left. I honestly don't even know why you would believe her."

Tyrion: "oh, well that's a relief!"

Jaime: "ah what?!"

Tyrion: "no I was thinking about something else, this is horrible"

Jaime: "..."

*Tyrion deal with Cersei ends with nothing happening*

Lorcain

Judging by the size of the starting undead horde, there will be plenty of room for many different kinds of heroes, redemption stories, and heroic sacrifices. Some of the individual chracacter stories will most definitely culminate and end in the fight against the white walkers. It will be interesting to see who is left standing.

Jamie is just one of those characters that literally kicked off the series by doing something selfish and evil, but his real story is just now beginning imo. He's on a possible redemption arc that could see him all the way through. Writers like that kind of character arc.

Which all came to ahead because Marg and her handmaidens were laughing at Cersei's expense. She flipped shit at Marg for calling her sister, and then a season later she's trying to act all humble and nice to her. But then she plots her downfall because Marg makes an old age joke at her expense, and she heard Marg and her girls giggling when she left.

"Ok let me arm ISIS and Ayatollah Sparrow, that would teach them for laughing at me!"

Seriously, fuck Cersei.

Oh Cersei definitely went too far, and wouldn't be capable of doing things she's done if those snakes weren't always slithering around her head. She has clearly always enjoyed destroying people/things, but there was always some reason as to why she was doing it (regaining her influence over Tommen for example).

There's not even a symbolic justification for executing Jaime, which is why it would've been so profound.

Yep I've been mentioning a sword hand for a few years to my fellow IRL GOTers, and none of them are on board with the idea. He won't have any wrist movement but I think it'll be better than his left hand.

Right? Dude was the best swordsman alive, certainly he'd be ok with a sword hand. Maybe too silly for the show, I guess.

RDreamer

I know, Jon (was it?) literally says "she may not have been the most reliable of sources" about the witch.

Did the witch ever actually tell her she couldn't have children? I looked up one of the witch scenes where the Khal is alive but not doing anything and she doesn't say it at all.

I want more Samwell. Underappreciated character. Managed to get a human moment out of Bran.

Screw the haters the actor is charismatic as hell.
Sam has gone from my least favorite character to an absolute delight every time he is on screen. He started out all right, but about the time he fell in love I couldn't help but roll my eyes/snooze/get annoyed everytime he was on screen. His last 2 seasons, especially this one, have been fantastic.

Heshinsi

Did the witch ever actually tell her she couldn't have children? I looked up one of the witch scenes where the Khal is alive but not doing anything and she doesn't say it at all.

I don't remember anything verbal, just for Dany not to come back into the tent (which Jorah does), and then the bit where she asks when Drogo would return to her. So she probably assumes what made her lose her child fucked her up.

^ Still not in my top list, but this season has turned Sam around for me. I used to get agitated during Sam scenes and just wanted it to end, but I'm liking him a lot more now.

pablito

I think the "when the sun rises in the west" was the answer to when Dany asked her when with Drogo ride again.

I don't remember anything specifically about her ability to have children.

Vectorman

Banned
My bets on who dies next season:

Cersei

Beric

Torumund

The Mountain

The Hound

Jamie

Podrick

Theon

Euron

Grey Worm

Bran

Dany

All 3 dragons

Hot Pie

Qyburn

Why is Daney's just the "good guy" now? What I liked about this show original is everyone was a shade of grey - I really thought with her they would go the route of her having some inherited madness but instead it's become a "good people vs bad".

Everyone who is more than one dimensional is dying too, if we didn't have the Lannister stuff, it would be mind numbing. Eh.

I did fell a littile bad for Jon last night. Had some flashbacks to previous relationships.

Danny: Bend the knee, You should bend the knee, It would be great if you bend the knee, I'll help you if you bend the knee, would you bend the knee already?

Jon: I have bent the knee for Daenerys.

Danny: Why did you bend the knee?

Jon:
200_s.gif

RDreamer

I think the "when the sun rises in the west" was the answer to when Dany asked her when with Drogo ride again.

I don't remember anything specifically about her ability to have children.

That's the scene I watched and yeah nothing she says has anything to do with Dany being able to have children in the future. Everything she says is about Drogo or that particular child.

Top Bottom