• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

roytheone

Man, that was a GREAT episode! It may not be of the level of the last 2 episodes of season 6 and it was light on action, but it managed to put my 2 biggest fears (The sansa/arya winterfell stuff and everyone being buddy buddy and allies in the last season) to rest!

I will confess I was pretty disappointing when Cercei returned and pledged her support, thankfully she is still a back stabbing bitch! And Jamie finally had enough of her and is joining the good guys! That scene really turned me on the episode. The scene in winterfell of the stark sisters turning on Littlefinger was also great, and the only way they could have resolved that whole storyline without me punching my tv in frustration. Good on them!

Finally there was some really good acting all around in this episode, but especially of lena headey, she really was the stand out for me.

This episode, while not fully redeeming a pretty inconsistent season, DID manage to keep me excited for the final season!

6 more episodes left

In 2 years :(

Straight up unbelievable numbers almost for a premium subscription channel. Makes sense why HBO is doing everything they can to get a spin off prepped for when this series ends.

Season 8 ratings will be insane

I can't imagine how big of an event the series finale will be. Will it be one of the biggest pop culture events of all time? Or is that a bit hyperbolic?

pringles

Damn I was nervous during that episode. I'm relieved they didn't end on too bad of a cliffhanger. Season 8 is going to be simply insane though with 6 episodes to take care of all these potential conflicts and showdowns.

Jon being an even bigger idiot than his brother. Fucks sake.
Nah.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If HBO ramps the budget for the final season, which they probably will, it should be something to remember.

It's going to be a big statement to try to finish it with a huge bang.

Surfinn

Agreed that the Theon fight felt out of place. I mean Jon having talked to him before was great and they should have left it there imo.

I dunno. I don't care about Theon anymore after what he did at Winterfell. That was like the worst betrayal I've ever seen.

roytheone

BTW, this may seem a weird thing it be excited about, but i can't wait to see the representation of the destroyed wall in the opening credits map. Also, if the white walkers manage to get pretty far, the map getting more and more desolated/destroyed areas each episode would be a super cool visual effect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I hope they get a bigger budget too. Especially since they broke some viewer records last night.

Well, the good thing is it crushed the records from the get go. They had more viewers on live this season than the last with more episodes.

Season 6 was a bit funky because they had to recover from season 5 which was slow and boring, which unfortunately had to happen. The viewership sort of stabilized but now it took off like a rocket. Should make HBO money men at ease when finalizing the budget.

jfkgoblue

Straight up unbelievable numbers almost for a premium subscription channel. Makes sense why HBO is doing everything they can to get a spin off prepped for when this series ends.

Season 8 ratings will be insane
It's most likely going against SNF so the Live ratings will be down. The total viewers will be insane though.

Well, the good thing is it crushed the records from the get go. They had more viewers on live this season than the last with more episodes.

Season 6 was a bit funky because they had to recover from season 5 which was slow and boring, which unfortunately had to happen. The viewership sort of stabilized but now it took off like a rocket. Should make HBO money men at ease when finalizing the budget.
I hope Netflix's Witcher series achieves the same heights. Let me dream a little.

Goodstyle

The most annoying sentiment I'm seeing today is people thinking Arya and Sansa were playing Littlefinger the whole time. They damn sure weren't, Littlefinger had them until he told Sansa about his little game and she turned it against him. At that point, it's likely she talked to the other Stark siblings about this and that's when they planned the surprise execution.

If they knew everything he was doing at the start, they would have just fucking killed him then. People need to stop giving Arya credit for this shit, she was a bratty child who was dooped, and it was only Sansa who figured out the game. People are allergic to praising her, so it's gotta be that Arya was playing everyone from the start.

kubus

And that's live viewers. The estimate is across all forms it hits 30 million an episode this season which is fucking crazy.

Factor in pirating in all of the places HBO isn't even available and you are probably talking easily 50+ million people watching GOT regularly
I live in an international dorm in Japan, where there's no HBO, and I told a friend to meet me downstairs today so I could pass her the episode. While we were there, we noticed some people sitting in the common room watching tv. We joked "lol probably watching GoT right???". It wasn't until we heard some muffled sounds that sounded awfully like Tyrion's voice, that we decided to take a peek and discovered they were actually watching GoT, lol.

Later that day I went with 5 friends to a bar in Tokyo where they show the latest episode every week and there were easily 100 people there, all gathered to watch Game of Thrones.

Also I just finished an university course on Game of Thrones here.

It's gotten kinda bizarre how big GoT is. Even in a country like Japan people are flocking together just to watch GoT and there's lectures on it. I can't imagine this happening on this scale with any other tv show or media franchise.

All of the friends I hang out with here I met thanks to Game of Thrones

The most annoying sentiment I'm seeing today is people thinking Arya and Sansa were playing Littlefinger the whole time. They damn sure weren't, Littlefinger had them until he told Sansa about his little game and she turned it against him. At that point, it's likely she talked to the other Stark siblings about this and that's when they planned the surprise execution.

I would have believed this if not for Arya handing her the dagger at the end of the previous episode. Arya knew exactly what she was getting herself into; she just needed Sansa to get on board without Littlefinger finding out.

If it was planned how would Cersei know they would show them something like a zombie. Him freaking out and leaving doesn't make sense without there being something fucked up there. So either Cersei is lying or the show tried too hard this time to make it seme like Cersei is such a mastermind.
He was always going to leave, one excuse or another.

Ralemont

not me
I would have believed this if not for Arya handing her the dagger at the end of the previous episode.

Actually I think this is why, when Littlefinger is playing the game with her, she realizes Arya isn't her enemy. LF is trying to convince Sansa that Arya wants to kill her and take over Winterfell, but Sansa remembers that Arya could have done so and didn't. So by LF's own rules, it doesn't well-explain her actions.

That's probably when Bran got involved somehow.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really disliked this season, it's worse than 5 imo. The writing was absolutely horrendous and the lack of book text really showed. Especially those last two episodes..the Little Finger "trial" was laughable, all the winterfell stuff actually. So many ridiculous scenes and plotlines that I don't feel the need to list.

Anyway, I suspect Danny will get pregnant (Jon telling her how that she shouldn't take the witch's word, etc), but their baby will turn out to be a dwarf (the multiple references to dwarfism and Bran monologing Jon's lineage as they're having sex).

As for Cersei's baby, I think it'll be a stillborn or die after birth (the witch's prophecy about her children).

Firebrand

I expect Night King to not be the big bad in the end but
Walt from LOST riding in on a polar bear *trombone*

Decent episode but sucks they have to rush everything so. Reminded of season 2 of Rome. :( Arya seemed like a different character the moment she returned to Winterfell.

number11

If HBO ramps the budget for the final season, which they probably will, it should be something to remember.

It's going to be a big statement to try to finish it with a huge bang.

After this season I'm just after good storytelling. Episode 6 must of had a huge budget, and look how that turned out.

daemissary

If they knew everything he was doing at the start, they would have just fucking killed him then. People need to stop giving Arya credit for this shit, she was a bratty child who was dooped, and it was only Sansa who figured out the game. People are allergic to praising her, so it's gotta be that Arya was playing everyone from the start.

Yeah, I agree. The moment Sansa says Arya would "become the Lady of Winterfell" in Littlefingers thought experiment was when Sansa realized...wait, that's not Arya. I do think Arya was dropping a couple of hints to her along the way though.

-griffy-

Banned
SKuRjhC.png

Actually I think this is why, when Littlefinger is playing the game with her, she realizes Arya isn't her enemy. LF is trying to convince Sansa that Arya wants to kill her and take over Winterfell, but Sansa remembers that Arya could have done so and didn't. So by LF's own rules, it doesn't well-explain her actions.

That's probably when Bran got involved somehow.

I don't think Sansa was planning to move on Littlefinger until she understood the sinister motives behind the thread that Arya was pulling at. But Arya had definitely figured out that Littlefinger was trying to manipulate them. That's why she gave Sansa the dagger, that's why she gave Sansa a speech about using her anger, that's why she told Sansa that she knows how to play the game of faces. She needed to get Sansa to act.

Goodstyle

I would have believed this if not for Arya handing her the dagger at the end of the previous episode. Arya knew exactly what she was getting herself into; she just needed Sansa to get on board without Littlefinger finding out.

Explain this to me. Your theory is that Arya knew from the beginning but didn't tell Sansa out of fear of LF spying, so she intimidated and threatened Sansa for no god damned reason. You think this is the case, because what, she gave Sansa a knife? In a conversation where she implied that she might take her face off?

Scenario 1: Arya knew LF was playing her the whole time and was just antagonizing her best ally for no reason, in which case she's an idiot.

Scenario 2: She was fooled just like everyone else and responded by threatening her sister, in which case she's a hotheaded, murderous brat, but not a complete moron like she'd have to be for scenario 1 to be the case.

I do like that when Arya enters the room, she already has the dagger back in her belt that she had given Sansa. I assume that was intentional to give viewers a head's up they'd already worked shit out.

List of all the people that will be in Winterfell at the same time in Season 8:

Jon Snow
Sansa
Arya
Bran
Danaerys
Brienne
Pod
Davos
Tyrion
Jaime
Samwell
Jorah
Missandei
Tormund
Beric
Hound
Gendry
Bronn (?)
Hotpie

Am I missing anyone? Theon/Yara if they're successful. Most likely not.

Goodstyle

If it was planned how would Cersei know they would show them something like a zombie. Him freaking out and leaving doesn't make sense without there being something fucked up there. So either Cersei is lying or the show tried too hard this time to make it seme like Cersei is such a mastermind.

I don't see what's so confusing about this scene. Cersei could have just told Euron, "No matter what they offer, act like you're abandoning me", and Euron just improvised from there.

Yeah, I agree. The moment Sansa says Arya would "become the Lady of Winterfell" in Littlefingers thought experiment was when Sansa realized...wait, that's not Arya. I do think Arya was dropping a couple of hints to her along the way though.

Exactly. The turning point was that conversation with LF in the finale. That's when Sansa figured it out and put the whole trap together.

I don't think Sansa was planning to move on Littlefinger until she understood the sinister motives behind the thread that Arya was pulling at. But Arya had definitely figured out that Littlefinger was trying to manipulate them. That's why she gave Sansa the dagger, that's why she gave Sansa a speech about using her anger, that's why she told Sansa that she knows how to play the game of faces. She needed to get Sansa to act.

If she needed Sansa to act she would have just fucking told her the truth. She wouldn't have done exactly what LF wanted her to do if she wasn't being played by him.

jfkgoblue

Jon Snow
Sansa
Arya
Bran
Danaerys
Brienne
Pod
Davos
Tyrion
Jaime
Samwell
Jorah
Missandei
Tormund
Beric
Hound
Gendry
Bronn (?)
Hotpie

Ghost :(

Jon Snow
Sansa
Arya
Bran
Danaerys
Brienne
Pod
Davos
Tyrion
Jaime
Samwell
Jorah
Missandei
Tormund
Beric
Hound
Gendry
Bronn (?)
Hotpie

You forgot the Waif.

Jacknapes

Theon getting kicked where his balls once were, it threw me for a second then I realised he lost them several seasons ago.

Littlefinger played Sansa and Arya, but ultimately it fell back to bite him when the game was reversed. Did he have it coming to him, yes he did.

And the final Lannister true to Cersai is gone, Jaime finally saw how mad she became. But at least he's true to his word with offering Lannister help against the Dead.

The final scenes at The Wall, i thought it was magically sealed so the dead couldn't cross it. But then, they did just get a dragon and it does breath (now blue) fire. So i guess a friends theory of the Walkers waiting until the water on the side of the wall froze was wrong, they just created a hole and walked through.

I can't imagine how big of an event the series finale will be. Will it be one of the biggest pop culture events of all time? Or is that a bit hyperbolic?

The MASH finale had over 100 million viewers.
Superbowl usually has over 100
Seinfeld finale had 75
Friends 65
Sopranos 12 million

And a whole lot in between. So no, it won't be. These are just US numbers and I think HBO numbers they report on weekly are global.

People certainly love the show but compared to some of the classics, nowhere near it it seems.

Thats what I think too. If you think about it Euron did seem like he was lying.

For real. He worships a Cthulhu-looking sod he calls the Drowned God who's all about living dead symbolism, and he claims to have traveled to the lands where Melisandre and her shadow-assassin demon baby spouting loins came from.

Like he's seriously going to be pissing over a grubby little rotter. He was just taking advantage of the legendary Ironborn Cowardice as an excuse to peace out.

If there hadn't been a zombie he would have just found a stray dog to surrender to and flee King's Landing.

Seinfeld finale had 75
Friends 65
Sopranos 12 million

And a whole lot in between. So no, it won't be.

People certainly love the show but compared to some of the classics, nowhere near it it seems.

These are just US numbers and I think HBO numbers they report on weekly are global.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/game-...pisode-1-pirated-90-million-times-muso-2017-7

90 million pirates for s7 episode 1, + 30m? on average per episode.

Free tv =/= premium HBO

jfkgoblue

Seinfeld finale had 75
Friends 65
Sopranos 12 million

And a whole lot in between. So no, it won't be.

These are just US numbers and I think HBO numbers they report on weekly are global.
Mash had close to 130 million viewers. The Super Bowl averages 110+ million viewers, but the fact that we are comparing free TV to a premium network is insane.
That is worldwide, all those mentioned above are US only.

Really if you want to include worldwide, the World Cup final is like 1 billion+.

RangerX

Banned
Turned out great.

I could do without the whiny fanboys, though.

Whiny fanboys? I swear some people want to apply zero critical analysis to this show whatsoever.There were many examples of poor characterization and plot contrivances this season but it had ice dragons so shitty writing is forgiven.

gatti-man

Theon getting kicked where his balls once were, it threw me for a second then I realised he lost them several seasons ago.

Littlefinger played Sansa and Arya, but ultimately it fell back to bite him when the game was reversed. Did he have it coming to him, yes he did.

And the final Lannister true to Cersai is gone, Jaime finally saw how mad she became. But at least he's true to his word with offering Lannister help against the Dead.

The final scenes at The Wall, i thought it was magically sealed so the dead couldn't cross it. But then, they did just get a dragon and it does breath (now blue) fire. So i guess a friends theory of the Walkers waiting until the water on the side of the wall froze was wrong, they just created a hole and walked through.

That theon scene I thought was Theon realizing his weakness can be a strength. I think he's going to have an interesting redemption arc in next season.

If she needed Sansa to act she would have just fucking told her the truth. She wouldn't have done exactly what LF wanted her to do if she wasn't being played by him.

She didn't do what Littlefinger wanted her to do. What Littlefinger wanted her to do was act convincingly like she wanted to kill Sansa. Instead, she constantly reminded Sansa about how she's able and willing to play The Game and, then, rather than actually act against Sansa, she literally handed Sansa the knife that ended up cutting Littlefinger's throat. There isn't a single interaction between the two of them that ends on a threatening note after she finds the scroll - it's always a hint from Arya, veiled behind the role she's playing.

They ended up turning The Game on Littlefinger, so Sansa clearly got the message.

Mash had close to 130 million viewers. The Super Bowl averages 110+ million viewers, but the fact that we are comparing free TV to a premium network is insane.

That is worldwide, all those mentioned above are US only.

Really if you want to include worldwide, the World Cup final is like 1 billion+.

Didn't he say one of the biggest? Seems one of the biggest to me. And HBO is making a shit load more than MASH ever would based on merch, moreso than any other show.

I think Sansa already knew by then. The fact that Bran was there at the hearing shows he spoke to both of them about what Littlefinger did.

Neither of the girls were shocked by anything Bran said, which means he told them.

jfkgoblue

Didn't he say one of the biggest? Seems one of the biggest to me. And HBO is making a shit load more than MASH ever would based on merch, moreso than any other show.
There have been a lot of pop culture events like Lost. I'm not trying to take anything away from GOT, it is by far the biggest current pop culture event, but one of the biggest of all time is hard to claim.

I'm about to watch this again.

Way too good to go without two viewings

I've watched it 3 times already, but still nowhere near as good as Season 6 finale. That music and set up for the Sept of Baelor exploding, and then the Jon reveal was something else. I watched that 10 times I think.

Top Bottom