• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

brawly

I was praying Jon and Dany were each gonna fly a dragon. What we got wasn't so bad either.

Insane finale to an amazing season.

ASIS

JaYz6cE.gif

I love how swift Arya's strike is.

Surfinn

Damn, I'm trying to rewatch on HBO Now and it's STILL buffering. Must be insane demand if it's fucking up in the afternoon the next day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
That is not what I said at all. I said overall streaming and DVR included ratings will be insane, but live viewership will be down compared to this season.

So you think that magically with feature length episodes, the viewership will go down when they're promising war against zombies with dragons? All while the show goes barreling towards it's conclusion?

I don't know about you, but that's not when I go... "I don't feel like watching game of thrones tonight"

The new House Stark motto:

"We put a Targaryen in charge. It's okay though, we thought he was a bastard at the time."

New banner: a confused wolf getting mounted by a dragon.

shira

Littlefinger better be a Faceless Man.

Fucking bullshit. How do you kill of the best character in the show. He fucking made the Game of Thrones, no way he dies like a chump.

jfkgoblue

So you think that magically with feature length episodes, the viewership will go down when they're promising war against zombies with dragons? All while the show goes barreling towards it's conclusion?

I don't know about you, but that's not when I go... "I don't feel like watching game of thrones tonight"
I gave the reason, SNF is the most watched live program in the US by a wide margin. If it airs next fall, live ratings will be down due to this.

Goodstyle

I don't think Sansa and Arya were playing him the whole the time, but I do think that Arya caught on quickly and Sansa caught on with the "game" conversation. From there, they conspired together against him and got confirmation on the details from
Bran.

So really, all three of them played LF. He got fucked.

Again, I don't think that makes a lick of sense.

1) Sansa says in the trial scene she caught on because of the "Worst case" game, not the faces game.

2) Arya threatens Sansa's life in the Faces convo, totally obscuring the message you guys think she's giving.

3) If Arya caught on, she would have just told Sansa, not antagonize her.

It's like people can't accept that Arya got played, that this super ninja assassin teenager isn't as smart as you guys like to think she is.

Sheroking

TWD will be pretty minor, and I regret bringing it up. SNF on the otherhand is a juggernaut and averages twice the Live viewership of GOT. When you can watch GOT at any time vs SNF which is a sporting event that almost everyone views live, it is going to cut into the show's numbers.

The Superbowl is in mid-February.

Even if Thrones starts during Football season, it won't end during it.

It's like people can't accept that Arya got played, that this super ninja assassin teenager isn't as smart as you guys like to think she is.

I'm not sure "smart" has anything to do with it.

She was tailing him and he made her. Nobody is going to think that a dude intentionally placed a legitimately written letter in an obscure hiding place with the goal to manipulate them, least of all a character like Arya who isn't as aware as the audience that Littlefinger is a master.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Fucking bullshit. How do you kill of the best character in the show. He fucking made the Game of Thrones, no way he dies like a chump.

He fucked up the second he told Sansa what he wanted. Love made him do the biggest mistake he had ever done and that's the day he lost.

takriel

I was growing tired of his pseudo-intellectual bullshit. Glad he's gone.

He fucked up the second he told Sansa what he wanted. Love made him do the biggest mistake he had ever done and that's the day he lost.

He's done it twice, hasn't he? The entire reason everyone treats him in such a diminutive fashion is because he made a play on Catelyn and got laid low by Ned.

I mean redheads are great dude but even dumb people learn not to touch the stove after the first time.

Melon Husk

Hey, I can't enjoy incest with a narrator. In all seriousness the narration was a bit overbearing, especially when it got spelt out right before and DURING said incest. P.S. Can Bran rewatch stuff or is every vision a one-off?

Also, powerful move by Jaime, walking away from incest like that. It's a bit weird that so few died during this season. What's gonna happen next season? Winterfell under siege again, but this time by the freeZees? Obviously the white dragon is gonna get annihilated the second the Targs shore up. Which should happen in the very first episode, if speedboats are still a thing.

Why do they go from babies, to wrinkly old men? Or are there teenage White Walkers chilling back at home?
Asking the important questions...

It's very cold, and no one's got moisturizer.
It was just an awful scene, he has no balls, get it, he has no balls, get it, no BALLS!

I thought he had them, though? Sackboy's realization of his superpowers was the funniest scene in whole season.

This is a lie. Sansa was growing increasingly terrified at the end of each interaction with Arya. Watch the scenes again. Arya accused her of betraying the Stark family, literal treason. She made it clear that she thought Sansa was planning to betray Jon as well. She talked about how she can kill people and steal their identities and she even mentioned how she could do the same to Sansa specifically. She was threatening her because she seriously didn't trust Sansa.

I didn't say "Sansa understood what Arya's endgame was." I said Arya never ended an interaction with a serious threat; she always ended their interactions by trying to steer Sansa toward moving on Littlefinger - handing her the dagger being the most obvious of these hints.

Sansa didn't get the message from Arya, she got the message from Littlefinger when he overplayed his hand in her first scene of the finale. She even references that scene when she corners Littlefinger. She's a slow learner, but she realized what he was doing when she imagined the very worst reason LF could be doing what he was doing. Also, him leading Sansa to the conclusion that Arya wanted to be Lady of Winterfell probably didn't ring true to her at all.

All Arya did was swing the blade in the end. She had no real role in LF's downfall besides executioner. It was Sansa who figured it out and Bran who provided the evidence.

Why does Arya have the knife back when she is called to Littlefinger's execution, if not because Sansa recognized the meaning of Arya's last gesture toward her?

1) Sansa says in the trial scene she caught on because of the "Worst case" game, not the faces game.

2) Arya threatens Sansa's life in the Faces convo, totally obscuring the message you guys think she's giving.

1) They're the same game - someone puts on a false face to kill their enemies. Littlefinger is playing it to turn Sansa against Arya; Arya is playing it to get Sansa to finally do something about Littlefinger.

2) The fact that Arya gives Sansa the knife at the end of that scene is a really obvious signal that she's not actually a threat to Sansa, and therefore that her entire speech about the Game of Faces does not mean what it appears on the surface to mean. She is talking about the metaphorical Game of Faces, the one where you use duplicity and cunning to defeat your enemies, not the literal one.

3) If Arya was going to do anything to Sansa, she would have just said "I'm going to kill you" like she does with everyone else.

I don't think Sansa and Arya have been playing LF the entire time.. the way I see it Sansa knew LF has got to go.. its just a matter of how to get Arya into the program since she just got to winterfell. Of course all was possible thanks to Brans VR.

Edit: also it was total BS Brans statement held up in that little court. I would have suggested LF get a retrial but no point of it now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Little known lore factoid: during wintertime, the Stark house words change to "Winter is going"

lol

Surfinn

Dude.. I'm rewatching the LF scene, the guy who plays him acted his ASS off. It's so awesome to see him vulnerable, cornered, and begging for mercy.

"I loved your mother"

"And yet you betrayed her"

"I love you"

"And yet you betrayed me"

Feels like GRRM wrote it. So good

KHlover

Banned

He started to lose the Game when he left Kings Landing. Isolated himself on the Eyrie. Married off Sansa to Ramsey, which shattered her trust in him (no one knew what a psycho Ramsey was, but that's the Game of Thrones to you). Cersei queen in KL and he has no way to influence her. Jon returns from the Wall and becomes King, then all the other Stark kids he thought were dead start coming home. At this point he can no longer feasibly isolate Sansa. He could have gone back and played Lord Protector of the Eyrie and lived, but he took a gamble and paid with his life.

zethren

Banned

What? The game I mentioned Sansa catching up on with is the conversation with LF. So I agree with you there. I think Sansa caught on later than Arya, but I don't buy for a second that Arya was played by LF. She stared him down the moment she saw him, knew where he was from, is probably heard of him enough to know his reputation. Her being suspicious of LF and tailing him enough to come to a conclusion that he's a threat is not a stretch at all, and it doesn't mean she's some super intelligent master of her craft.

And with Bran there to confirm any suspicion she would have of LF, that guarantees it. I wouldn't be surprised if she went to Bran pretty early on to get the scoop on LF. Seems obvious, really.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hey, I can't enjoy incest with a narrator. In all seriousness the narration was a bit overbearing, especially when it got spelt out right before and DURING said incest. P.S. Can Bran rewatch stuff or is every vision a one-off?

Also, powerful move by Jaime, walking away from incest like that. It's a bit weird that so few died during this season. What's gonna happen next season? Winterfell under siege again, but this time by the freeZees? Obviously the white dragon is gonna get annihilated the second the Targs shore up. Which should happen in the very first episode, if speedboats are still a thing.

Asking the important questions...

It's very cold, and no one's got moisturizer.

I thought he had them, though? Sackboy's realization of his superpowers was the funniest scene in whole season.

That narration was beautiful.

"He loved her."

•Jon knocks on Dany's door

•Dany opens the door

"And she loved him."

That parallel love story. One damn near destroyed house Targaryen, the other I'm confident is going to strengthen it.

I'll take your explanation on why they turn into wrinkly seniors lol.

-griffy-

Banned
Arya's turn and "My sister asked you a question" is as much of a reveal in that scene as the "Lord Baelish" swerve to start it. It's not a "We just figured some shit out in the last few hours and put this all together," it's a smug "I've been supporting my sister this whole time you idiot."

6Jm9tV9.gif

w9Q0NGr.gif

The "no one knew Ramsay was such a psycho" thing always makes me giggle because the fuckers run around with a skinned guy upside-down on a cross for their banner. Really, Littlefinger, you didn't think maybe they weren't entirely on-the-level?

Heshinsi

The "no one knew Ramsay was such a psycho" thing always makes me giggle because the fuckers run around with a skinned guy upside-down on a cross for their banner. Really, Littlefinger, you didn't think maybe they weren't entirely on-the-level?

So I'm watching this scene here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u_J40KHcIko

A very touching father/son bonding between Roose and Ramsay Bolton. What makes me go "huh" though, is Roose telling Ramsay that his mother was the Miller's wife, that they married without his permission, had the Miller hung, and then he raped the wife under her hanging husband.

How the fuck did the Starks not know what Roose Bolton was doing in the North? How exactly can news that one of your bannermen goes around practicing prima nocta and kills people over it, not come back to Winterfell?

Melon Husk

I can't take these incest relationships seriously, I'm sorry. Even GRRM isn't gonna let that fly. Historical precedent notwithstanding (can you name any?), the season 8 won't close with love-conquers-all siblings sharing the throne.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
He was always going to leave, one excuse or another.

But he is this super macho guy, no way would he leave just because of someone saying the white walkers are real. Nobody would believe that.

I don't see what's so confusing about this scene. Cersei could have just told Euron, "No matter what they offer, act like you're abandoning me", and Euron just improvised from there.

It doesn't fit his character and without there being an actual zombie nobody would believe that shit.

"No matter what, act like a coward." "No problem! "

Heshinsi

I can't take these incest relationships seriously, I'm sorry. Even GRRM isn't gonna let that fly. Historical precedent notwithstanding (can you name any?), the season 8 won't close with love-conquers-all siblings sharing the throne.

You honestly believe Jaime and Cersei are going to make up and win together at the end? That's a pretty wild prediction lol.

jfkgoblue

A very touching father/son bonding between Roose and Ramsay Bolton. What makes me go "huh" though, is Roose telling Ramsay that his mother was the Miller's wife, that they married without his permission, had the Miller hung, and then he raped the wife under her hanging husband.

How the fuck did the Starks not know what Roose Bolton was doing in the North? How exactly can news that one of your bannermen goes around practicing prima nocta and kills people over it, not come back to Winterfell?
It was called Lord's right, and well known that some nobles practiced it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

This is why the Littlefinger stuff does seem bad to me because Littlefinger knows a lot but it seems weird that he would know how Roose's bastard is. Who even is close enough to Ramsay to give him that information? It makes sense for him not to know this information, also, the Boltons were the Stark's bannermen, too, so a house that aligns with the North isn't gonna kill Sansa, right? Well, he was right that they wouldn't but he didn't know Ramsay was a piece of shit who hurts people in other ways.

This pervasive notion that Littlefinger has to know literally every single human being in Westeros is kind of silly. He is good, he is VERY good, but he isn't omnipotent.

Surfinn

How stupid is Cercei? Jaime is just sitting there fucking flabbergasted listening to her talk about ruling when there is literally no way any of them survive if they don't do all they can to beat the dead/WW. She thinks 20k (standing alone) is going to do shit against ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PLUS of undead soldiers, not including their WW masters, and not sending all they can to the north to help form a huge army?

I know she just cares about herself and her family but my god is her vision short sighted.

I love Jamie's response to her stupidity:

"When the fighting in the north is over, someone wins, you understand that don't you? If the dead win, they march south, and kill us all. If the living win, and we've betrayed them, THEY MARCH SOUTH AND KILL US ALL."

Like, what more needs to be fucking said? Either you fight for a chance to BE ALIVE, or you don't. Or you just hope.. it all goes away? What?

I mean if you were going to pick one house you could sneak something like that by, it would be the Starks every time.

Sansa got wise when finger brought up Brienne, but she didn't catch his motive until the game scene. Ayra got wise to finger during the 1st conversation with Sansa on the balcony.

Heshinsi

It was called Lord's right, and well known that some nobles practiced it.

Does that seem like something the Starks would be ok with? Doesn't to me. So if they could be in the dark as far as the deep dark shit House Bolton does, it doesn't surprise me that an outsider like LF might not know all that much about a bastard Roose kept hidden. When talks to Robb about sending a force to take back Winterfell, he doesn't even name his son, all he says is, "my bastard can take back Winterfell."

Melon Husk

You honestly believe Jaime and Cersei are going to make up and win together at the end? That's a pretty wild prediction lol.

Siblings? Why did I write that... I meant two related people. Be it Lannisters or Targaryens. Not happening.

edit: I imagine Jon will go crazy or something when he finds out. Whether he accepts or rejects the situation, it'll break him. If it doesn't break him, it breaks them up. If not that, it breaks the North, or Stark family. Something will break.

Top Bottom