• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Goodstyle

I didn't say "Sansa understood what Arya's endgame was." I said Arya never ended an interaction with a serious threat; she always ended their interactions by trying to steer Sansa toward moving on Littlefinger - handing her the dagger being the most obvious of these hints.

If she was trying to steer Sansa with hints (which makes no sense by the way since she can just tell Sansa what she knows), then why the hell would she threaten her life mid conversation? That isn't a thing you do when you want to help someone learn something because all they'll be thinking about is the threat to their life.

Why does Arya have the knife back when she is called to Littlefinger's execution, if not because Sansa recognized the meaning of Arya's last gesture toward her?

Because Sansa gave it back to her after she figured out what Littlefinger was really trying to do. Arya gave it away to throw Sansa off balance, because again, if she wanted to tell Sansa something she would have just told her. The whole point of that scene was to intimidate Sansa, not help her. Sansa appealed to Arya, not the other way around. That's why Arya was the contrite one in their final scene this season.

1) They're the same game - someone puts on a false face to kill their enemies. Littlefinger is playing it to turn Sansa against Arya; Arya is playing it to get Sansa to finally do something about Littlefinger.

This isn't a response at all to what I'm saying. Sansa referenced what Littlefinger told her, not what Arya told her. If Sansa already knew what LF was up to by the time she had that convo with him in the finale, she wouldn't have talked to him, she would have just killed him. It was only after that talk that she figured things out.

2) The fact that Arya gives Sansa the knife at the end of that scene is a really obvious signal that she's not actually a threat to Sansa, and therefore that her entire speech about the Game of Faces does not mean what it appears on the surface to mean. She is talking about the metaphorical Game of Faces, the one where you use duplicity and cunning to defeat your enemies, not the literal one.

You know what's a more obvious signal than waving a knife in someone's face and threatening their life? Telling them what you know. Arya's actions make zero sense if you think she wasn't being played by LF, but make way more sense if you go by the obvious.

3) If Arya was going to do anything to Sansa, she would have just said "I'm going to kill you" like she does with everyone else.

She didn't want to kill Sansa, she wanted to scare her and keep her in line. She wanted to protect Jon from her because she saw her as a conniving snake at that point because she was manipulated by LF.

What? The game I mentioned Sansa catching up on with is the conversation with LF. So I agree with you there. I think Sansa caught on later than Arya, but I don't buy for a second that Arya was played by LF. She stared him down the moment she saw him, knew where he was from, is probably heard of him enough to know his reputation. Her being suspicious of LF and tailing him enough to come to a conclusion that he's a threat is not a stretch at all, and it doesn't mean she's some super intelligent master of her craft.

We know she knew LF was a threat, but she underestimated him and thought he was working with Sansa to undermine Jon. Again, if she knew he was trying to pit the sisters against eachother, she would have told Sansa. Her actions are consistent with someone that was fooled, not with someone that was in on it from the beginning. This isn't hard.

And with Bran there to confirm any suspicion she would have of LF, that guarantees it. I wouldn't be surprised if she went to Bran pretty early on to get the scoop on LF. Seems obvious, really.

It isn't obvious really because instead of doing something about LF she directly played into his hands and antagonized Sansa. Sansa was the one who approached Bran for the scoop, that's what should be obvious to you.

zewone

You honestly believe Jaime and Cersei are going to make up and win together at the end? That's a pretty wild prediction lol.

First I've heard of it.

Dany and Aegon ruling seems the most likely to happen.

Followed by just one of them ruling in the end.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sansa got wise when finger brought up Brienne, but she didn't catch his motive until the game scene. Ayra got wise to finger during the 1st conversation with Sansa on the balcony.

I'd like to re-watch these scenes knowing that, at some point, they knew he was playing them against each other. I wonder when that point is exactly.

shira

At this point he can no longer feasibly isolate Sansa. He could have gone back and played Lord Protector of the Eyrie and lived, but he took a gamble and paid with his life.
He fucked up the second he told Sansa what he wanted. Love made him do the biggest mistake he had ever done and that's the day he lost.

No fucking way. Not when he just said:
Fight every battle everywhere, always in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend. Every possible series of events is happening all at once. Live that way and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you've seen before.

That was never his endgame to be Sansa's teacher or to marry Sansa. He's the fucking guy pulling all the strings 20 steps ahead of everyone else.

Me after watching episode 7:

Kendrick-Lamar-DAMN-album-cover-featured-827x620.jpg

Zertez

The real question is: why did Brienne go to King's Landing, again? (I know the answer is: because the writers wanted her to bump into Sandor and Jaime, but she really didn't do anything there.)
Brianne went to KL in Sansas place to meet with Cersei about the White Walkers and the writing, huge plot holes only gets worse from there.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Siblings? Why did I write that... I meant two related people. Be it Lannisters or Targaryens. Not happening.

This is a world where cousin marriages are quite frequent and normal. They're Targaryens, they're not siblings, and we're never raised as relatives. I don't think Westeros is going to care all that much when you've got an Ice King and an army of over a hundred thousand undead thrall marching on humanity.

jfkgoblue

Does that seem like something the Starks would be ok with? Doesn't to me. So if they could be in the dark as far as the deep dark shit House Bolton does, it doesn't surprise me that an outsider like LF might not know all that much about a bastard Roose kept hidden. When talks to Robb about sending a force to take back Winterfell, he doesn't even name his son, all he says is, "my bastard can take back Winterfell."
It isn't really explained well, but the Starks more or less just put up with the Boltons out of neccesity. There was no love lost between them.
This is a world where cousin marriages are quite frequent and normal. They're Targaryens, they're not siblings, and we're never raised as relatives. I don't think Westeros is going to care all that much when you've got an Ice King and an army of over a hundred thousand undead thrall marching on humanity.
Someone on Reddit posted that genetically they are siblings due to all the incest.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How stupid is Cercei? Jaime is just sitting there fucking flabbergasted listening to her talk about ruling when there is literally no way any of them survive if they don't do all they can to beat the dead/WW. She thinks 20k (standing alone) is going to do shit against ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PLUS of undead soldiers, not including their WW masters, and not sending all they can to the north to help form a huge army?

I know she just cares about herself and her family but my god is her vision short sighted.

I love Jamie's response to her stupidity:

"When the fighting in the north is over, someone wins, you understand that don't you? If the dead win, they march south, and kill us all. If the living win, and we've betrayed them, THEY MARCH SOUTH AND KILL US ALL."

Like, what more needs to be fucking said? Either you fight for a chance to BE ALIVE, or you don't. Or you just hope.. it all goes away? What?

Jaime went through a pretty drastic character reformation in between seasons 2 and 3. Cersei's character went through the opposite. shes not Jaime and she shouldnt be acting like a normal reasonable queen.

he was also the more compassionate of the two siblings. he stopped cersei from hurting baby tyrion's prick according to oberyon. he was always on tyrion's side. he killed the mad king and saved a million people. he save brienne. he released tyrion. he's not an evil man.

zewone

Jaime went through a pretty drastic character reformation in between seasons 2 and 3. Cersei's character went through the opposite. shes not Jaime and she shouldnt be acting like a normal reasonable queen.

he was also the more compassionate of the two siblings. he stopped cersei from hurting baby tyrion's prick according to oberyon. he was always on tyrion's side. he killed the mad king and saved a million people. he save brienne. he released tyrion. he's not an evil man.

Jamie's story is of redemption. He'll die with honor.

It's pretty interesting to go back and watch Cersei when Joffrey was still around to be the completely terrible one.

At one point she even cautions him that it's often better to show mercy and be nice to avoid causing conflicts!

Surfinn

Man.. when snow falls as Jaime is leaving, the following shots and music are some of the very best I've ever seen on the show. Super subtle, elegant.. yet haunting. Winter is truly here now.

No I get it, it makes sense for her character. But she's fucking STUPID for not listening to Jaime and setting aside her pride. Wasn't trying to knock the writing or development, they're top notch here. This is classic Cercei.

But it fits. That whole scene is incredible. "I don't believe you" is a top 10 moment for me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fight every battle everywhere, always in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend. Every possible series of events is happening all at once. Live that way and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before.

That was never his endgame to be Sansa's teacher or to marry Sansa. He's the fucking guy pulling all the strings 20 steps ahead of everyone else.

Characters in this show often have one motivation that propels all of their decisions.

Cersei loves her children above all else

Jaime loves Cersei above all else

Jon wants to fight the White Walkers above all else

Dany wants to sit on the Iron Throne above all else

Littlefinger loved Cat above all else and that loved transferred over to Sansa

Everything that Littlefinger has done ever since Cat died has been to get close to Sansa, he has risked a lot to get near her because he loved her. Littlefinger tells us this, Sansa tells us this and D&D tells us this, he loved her and he fucked up once he told her what he wanted, you never tell someone what you really want.

One theme that has been repeated over and over in this show is how love and honor clouds people's reality. Love killed Rob, honor killed Ned, honor and love fucked Jon and Dany's plan and Littlefinger's love was his downfall.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It isn't really explained well, but the Starks more or less just put up with the Boltons out of neccesity. There was no love lost between them.

Someone on Reddit posted that genetically they are siblings due to all the incest.

Some on on Reddit with a broad understanding of genealogy, but that person doesn't exist in Westeros though lol. I don't think people in Westeros are going to be as concerned about this as some people are, not with what they are about to come face to face with.

Melon Husk

Yes, but the real world is going to judge the writer and the way he ends his series.
If GoT was written by an AI, and it deemed that was the most effective way to write an ending, then maybe?

jfkgoblue

Some on on Reddit with a broad understanding of genealogy, but that person doesn't exist in Westeros though lol. I don't think people in Westeros are going to be as concerned about this as some people are, not with what they are about to come face to face with.
They're Targs, no one besides Jon is gonna care about the incest. Just thought the siblings part was interesting:p

KHlover

Banned
Fight every battle everywhere, always in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend. Every possible series of events is happening all at once. Live that way and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before.

He said that, but he obviously still did not expect Jon being made King in the North despite being (to his knowledge) still with the Night Watch, Bran returning alive after several years and as a hardcounter to him, and Arya returning alive as a faceless man.

I don't blame him either, Arya and Bran were so dead by all accounts that he might as well have planned for Lyanna Stark suddenly strolling up to Winterfell. LF also isn't a Greenseer, so how would he have planned for the 3ER? No way to plot a series of events for someone with a power you don't know exists. He literally can't fool Bran. Of course he could have tried to have him killed, but I doubt anyone but another faceless man could pull off an assassination while Arya is in the same location.

AndersK

Man.. when snow falls as Jaime is leaving, the following shots and music are some of the very best I've ever seen on the show. Super subtle, elegant.. yet haunting. Winter is truly here now.

No I get it, it makes sense for her character. But she's fucking STUPID for not listening to Jaime and setting aside her pride.

But it fits. That whole scene is incredible. "I don't believe you" is a top 10 moment for me.

Cersei really took the wrong lesson from her walk of shame. Jaime got humbled proper on his trip with Brienne, what with the hand and so forth. Cersei really Should've been too.

I mean, her killing the high sparrow is never gonna be off The table, but maaaaybe don't blow up 1/6 of the town mkay.

Her motivations make sense, on paper, she just has to be excessively cruel about it.

Unrelated, I gotta say I'm was very happy with the finale. Got some feels when seeing certain endgame revelations on the screen. Never thought they'd do Rhaegar/Lyanna/Tower of Joy this much justice. Shit, despite being iffy on the Jon/Dany pairing, im all in on it after today.

Surfinn

Characters in this show often have one motivation that propels all of their decisions.

Cersei loves her children above all else

Jaime loves Cersei above all else

Jon wants to fight the White Walkers above all else

Dany wants to sit on the Iron Throne above all else

Littlefinger loved Cat above all else and that loved transferred over to Sansa

Everything that Littlefinger has done ever since Cat died has been to get close to Sansa, he has risked a lot to get near her because he loved her. Littlefinger tells us this, Sansa tells us this and D&D tells us this, he loved her and he fucked up once he told her what he wanted, you never tell someone what you really want.

One theme that has been repeated over and over in this show is how love and honor clouds people's reality. Love killed Rob, honor killed Ned, honor and love fucked Jon and Dany's plan and Littlefinger's love was his downfall.

Yup. Love clouded his judgement. It brought his guard down. He failed to play by his own rules with Sansa, and it was his undoing.

I will say... Sansa channeled her inner Kat in that LF scene. Was kinda haunting. Not sure if that was their intention but it was a nice damn touch

Goodstyle

How stupid is Cercei? Jaime is just sitting there fucking flabbergasted listening to her talk about ruling when there is literally no way any of them survive if they don't do all they can to beat the dead/WW. She thinks 20k (standing alone) is going to do shit against ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PLUS of undead soldiers, not including their WW masters, and not sending all they can to the north to help form a huge army?

I know she just cares about herself and her family but my god is her vision short sighted.

"When the fighting in the north is over, someone wins, you understand that don't you? If the dead win, they march south, and kill us all. If the living win, and we've betrayed them, THEY MARCH SOUTH AND KILL US ALL."

Like, what more needs to be fucking said? Either you fight for a chance to BE ALIVE, or you don't. Or you just hope.. it all goes away? What?

If they do all they can to beat the dead, Cersei and her family will die anyways. In her mind, Dany would burn her alive the second she outlived her usefulness.

Her hope is that Dany and her team can beat the dead without her help, which will leave her in the best shape to beat Dany.

If the dead win she dies.
If Dany wins and Cersei doesn't have a big enough force, she dies.

None of the scenarios where she goes to help sound good to her.

Cersei thinks the only way she wins is that Dany wins with a weakened force. It's the only scenario in her mind that's desirable because she doesn't see the difference between zombies that want her dead and a Dragon queen that wants her dead as soon as the zombies die.

If she was trying to steer Sansa with hints (which makes no sense by the way since she can just tell Sansa what she knows), then why the hell would she threaten her life mid conversation? That isn't a thing you do when you want to help someone learn something because all they'll be thinking about is the threat to their life.

I don't think so. She already knows Littlefinger has his spies in the shadows all over the place, including in Winterfell, and is trafficking in information he shouldn't know about the Stark sisters. She wouldn't trust putting that kind of information out there without knowing that Sansa is ready to follow through and do what it takes to catch Littlefinger off-guard.

Because Sansa gave it back to her after she figured out what Littlefinger was really trying to do. Arya gave it away to throw Sansa off balance, because again, if she wanted to tell Sansa something she would have just told her. The whole point of that scene was to intimidate Sansa, not help her. Sansa appealed to Arya, not the other way around. That's why Arya was the contrite one in their final scene this season.

And if she was really willing to kill Sansa, she would have just killed her and taken her face.

And if her intent was just to threaten her. she wouldn't have given her a knife.

This isn't a response at all to what I'm saying. Sansa referenced what Littlefinger told her, not what Arya told her. If Sansa already knew what LF was up to by the time she had that convo with him in the finale, she wouldn't have talked to him, she would have just killed him. It was only after that talk that she figured things out.

Good thing that's not even a tiny part of my argument.

My argument is that after Sansa has that conversation with Littlefinger, she adds up every interaction she's had with both Arya and Littlefinger and decides to act.

She sees what Littlefinger is trying to do by roping her into his game, and she sees what Arya was trying to do by letting her in on the nature of her role as an assassin.

She realizes that she needs to be willing to do what it takes to get to her enemies before her enemies get to her, and that's something that Arya was trying to tell her.

She didn't want to kill Sansa, she wanted to scare her and keep her in line. She wanted to protect Jon from her because she saw her as a conniving snake at that point because she was manipulated by LF.

We know she knew LF was a threat, but she underestimated him and thought he was working with Sansa to undermine Jon. Again, if she knew he was trying to pit the sisters against eachother, she would have told Sansa. Her actions are consistent with someone that was fooled, not with someone that was in on it from the beginning. This isn't hard.

Like I said, I might've thought this until she breaks the pattern and does something that's totally unlike what someone whose goal is really intimidation would do: gives Sansa the dagger that will later kill Littlefinger...At the end of a conversation that was otherwise about the art of putting on a face to kill your enemies.

lol i don't think Jon is going to be damaged much by the new info

He's the most headstrong, self-assured character in the show. Hell that dialogue between him and Theon should be an indication of that. He knows that he was raised a Stark and considers himself such.

If anything this information should bring him and Dany closer together (?lol?). Or give him an "oh shit in entitled to one of those dragons!" moment

Surfinn

If they do all they can to beat the dead, Cersei and her family will die anyways. In her mind, Dany would burn her alive the second she outlived her usefulness.

Her hope is that Dany and her team can beat the dead without her help, which will leave her in the best shape to beat Dany.

If the dead win she dies.
If Dany wins and Cersei doesn't have a big enough force, she dies.

None of the scenarios where she goes to help sound good to her.

Cersei thinks the only way she wins is that Dany wins with a weakened force. It's the only scenario in her mind that's desirable because she doesn't see the difference between zombies that want her dead and a Dragon queen that wants her dead as soon as the zombies die.

The problem though is that she thinks she's gunna rule when it's all over, without stepping in to battle the only threat that matters right now. She's following the wrong process for survival.. the number one threat is the dead. It takes priority over everything else because if they're not defeated no one wins. The game of thrones is over.

If they battle together, she lives another day to continue to play. It's all about increasing those chances of surviving threat #1 and keeping the game alive. Jamie understands this

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Overall, I loved this season. One of my favorites. It seems that mainly book readers are the most critical of it, and if they are, that's their prerogative, but I thought the negatives this season were easier to stomach(for the most part) than the full trudging parts of previous seasons.

Bran venturing north of the wall and Dany wandering Essos I both found pretty boring. In comparison to other GoT plots, not TV in general.

Compared to that, I think the dumb plot of this season stealing the wight, ended up having cool end results, with Jaime leaving. Hell, the entire scene in the dragon pit made it worth it. Having them all together reacting to that creepy ass wight.

Not sure where I'd rank it, I'd have to think about it, but I loved this season.

Hydrus

For being such a monumental hit ratings wise, I really don't see why they decided to shorten the last two seasons.

HBO wanted to do two full seasons ( 10 episodes each ) D&D didnt want to. They wanted one. They met half way and did 13. D&D really want to move on and finish this show. They are getting burnt out.

Cersei doesn't believe it's a winnable fight. She kinda has the right idea. The fact that one of Dany's dragons is missing tipped her off. Nobody can stop the Walkers. No amount of armys is going to help. So she's basically buying time. She'd rather all the North and Dany die first while she figures out a way to fight them down the line, or like she said, get a boat and get the fuck out and flee to Essos or something. She's actually being kinda smart in playing her game.

Sheroking

Not just her, Tormund said: "No God has a cock that small" or something like that. It must be a Targaryan thing.

I like to fanwank that Tormund is just YUUUGE comparatively.

Although the cast and crew were instructed to refer to Jon as "LC" during the filming of Season 6 to prevent possible leaks, and Carice Van Houten said it stood for "little cock" (it actually stood for Lord Commander).

I think D&D are just over the series at this point and want to move on to their next endeavors.
HBO wanted to do two full seasons ( 10 episodes each ) D&D didnt want to. They wanted one. They met half way and did 13. D&D really want to move on and finish this show. They are getting burnt out.

Ah I see. Kinda sucks. But I guess they have been at this for years and years at this point.

Goodstyle

I don't think so. She already knows Littlefinger has his spies in the shadows all over the place, including in Winterfell, and is trafficking in information he shouldn't know about the Stark sisters.

And if she wanted to kill Sansa, she would have just killed her and taken her face.

Good thing that's not even a tiny part of my argument.

My argument is that after Sansa has that conversation with Littlefinger, she adds up every interaction she's had with both Arya and Littlefinger and decides to act.

She sees what Littlefinger is trying to do by roping her into his game, and she sees what Arya was trying to do by letting her in on the nature of her role as an assassin.

She realizes that she needs to be willing to do what it takes to get to her enemies before her enemies get to her, and that's something that Arya was trying to tell her.

Like I said, I might've thought this until she breaks the pattern and does something that's totally unlike what someone whose goal is really intimidation would do: gives Sansa the dagger that will later kill Littlefinger...At the end of a conversation that was otherwise about the art of putting on a face to kill your enemies.

On my phone now so I can't argue each point specifically, but I will lay out my counters in point form:

- Your argument that Arya was worried about spies makes zero sense the moment you realize that LF has no leverage. If Arya turned Sansa against LF, he wouldn't be able to do anything but run in response.
- If Arya was trying to communicate something to Sansa without telling her directly, she wouldn't have threatened her.
- Sansa was able to arrange a whole execution with LF and consult Bran without him knowing, he either has no spies or has spies that are easy to avoid. Arya couldn't write a note to Sansa?
- Your whole argument rests on Arya giving Sansa a knife, which was just an intimidating and creepy gesture. Literally nothing about Arya's aactions make sense in your scenario.

I like to fanwank that Tormund is just YUUUGE.

Although the cast and crew were instructed to refer to Jon as "LC" during the filming of Season 6 to prevent possible leaks, and Claire Van Houten said it stood for "little cock" (it actually stood for Lord Commander).
LOL that is fucking hilarious.

Top Bottom