• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

-griffy-

Banned
Ah I see. Kinda sucks. But I guess they have been at this for years and years at this point.

To be fair, this is a bit of an unfair characterization since they are still putting the same amount of work into the two "shorter" seasons (if not more) as they would into two full seasons. Doing two short seasons allows them to allocate more time and budget for each individual episode, which means they can pull off more large scale sequences than they would under a normal schedule. Word is that episodes in the final season might approach 2 hours in length. They are essentially going to produce six feature length, effects heavy movies for season 8.

Hydrus

Ah I see. Kinda sucks. But I guess they have been at this for years and years at this point.

Yes. But that is also why HBO is working on 4 different spinoffs. They dont want this money train to stop. We might be getting the first spinoff a year right after S8 finishes.

Sheroking

Thrones is such a massive production at this point, grinding for 7 years straight to get it out and at a reasonably high quality for pretty much the whole time has to be exhausting.

bran is fucking garbage.

>should be keeping tabs and scouting the army of the dead day n nite.

>Should inform westeros hey the guy that can bring dead stuff to life MIGHT be able to bring a dead dragon back to life

>Or Should be keeping tabs on Cersie and what she is plotting or planning

>instead secretly enjoys saying "i'm the three-eyed raven" just to see the reaction of people when he damn well knows no one knows what the fuck he's talking about

>instead watching all his siblings have sex in the past and present

Get your fucking shit together three-eyed raver. #YOLT (You only live twice)

SArcher

Banned
Most underrated scene of the episode was Jaime riding away from King's Landing as snow starts to fall. I think it would have actually been a great way to end the episode.

Hydrus

Most underrated scene of the episode was Jaime riding away from King's Landing as snow starts to fall. I think it would have actually been a great way to end the episode.

I really think S8 is gonna come right after Thanksgiving next year. That scene just feels perfect way to start a winter release.

Surfinn

Cersei doesn't believe it's a winnable fight. She kinda has the right idea. The fact that one of Dany's dragons is missing tipped her off. Nobody can stop the Walkers. No amount of armys is going to help. So she's basically buying time. She'd rather all the North and Dany die first while she figures out a way to fight them down the line, or like she said, get a boat and get the fuck out and flee to Essos or something. She's actually being kinda smart in playing her game.

Hiding on a fucking island is a terrible plan. She's not buying time. There is no more time if the dead win. Which is why Jaime left

The dead win = everyone dead, unless you want to rule an island but I seriously doubt that's what Cercei wants

Doing nothing is the worst strategy. Adding 20k more to one, unified army is the ONLY option, imo. Banking on it just working out is.. eh

You really think the ending of the show is going to conclude with the dead winning and the living's massive force making no difference?

I think a smart strategy would be SHOWING UP and fighting, at least give her enemies the notion that you're willing to work together on a basic level. THAT would buy time, instead of simply dying or living out your days as the ruler of the who cares islands

Kayhan

Thrones is such a massive production at this point, grinding for 7 years straight to get it out and at a reasonably high quality for pretty much the whole time has to be exhausting.

Yeah, they don't get enough credit for what they created here with a production of this scope.

Youngfossil

Neo Member
bran is fucking garbage.

>Should inform westeros hey the guy that can bring dead stuff to life MIGHT be able to bring a dead dragon back to life

>instead secretly enjoys saying "i'm the three-eyed raven" just to see the reaction of people when he damn well knows no one knows what the fuck he's talking about

Honestly you dont know what he's doing since he could be doing 100's of things at once

Characters in this show often have one motivation that propels all of their decisions.

Cersei loves her children above all else

Jaime loves Cersei above all else

Jon wants to fight the White Walkers above all else

Dany wants to sit on the Iron Throne above all else

Littlefinger loved Cat above all else and that loved transferred over to Sansa

Everything that Littlefinger has done ever since Cat died has been to get close to Sansa, he has risked a lot to get near her because he loved her. Littlefinger tells us this, Sansa tells us this and D&D tells us this, he loved her and he fucked up once he told her what he wanted, you never tell someone what you really want.

One theme that has been repeated over and over in this show is how love and honor clouds people's reality. Love killed Rob, honor killed Ned, honor and love fucked Jon and Dany's plan and Littlefinger's love was his downfall.

This is a big over simplification all to explain something that isn't true about Littlefinger.

Petyr Baelish once truly loved Cat. This is true. But the moment she goes off and marries Ned to secure a union between Houses, there's a part of him that snaps. He learns that his love means jack in the face of status and power and that's when he dedicates himself to gaining that power. He still loves Cat, in a way, and he has a weird twisted thing for Sansa eventually as well but that absolutely doesn't stop him from using them and their loved ones as pawns in his play for power. And he gives absolutely zero shits about them suffering or dying as a result of his moves.

Remember that Baelish is the entire reason the kingdom goes into utter chaos and he stokes that fire as much as he can. He doesn't lose because he tells Sansa what he wanted. He lost because in order to play the game the way he and Varys do, you need information and you need misdirection. You need strengths and weaknesses, histories, habits, personality types, and capabilities. He's at a disadvantage on all these things once Bran and Arya show up. He knows absolutely zero about them or what they've been through. So he falls back on the one thing he does know. Sansa. But he completely misjudges her and fails to recognize that after what she's been through since being sent to Ramsey, more of her mothers qualities of strength have come to the surface and she isn't buying what he's selling.

Baconmonk

bran is fucking garbage.

Hahaha I have many friends that share your opinion.

I thought by now we would get a 'Dr. Manhattan' esque breakdown from Bran, and see him trying to cope internally with so much new information and his struggle to deal with it. Instead we get weird ass Bran being weird. I'm hoping some of this stuff is touched on next season, but I have a feeling he is going to be left mysterious.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
if Jon and co never went north of the wall to catch the Wight would the night king never have been able to take down the wall

Mance Ryder had one pissed off Giant damn near make a breach through the gates at Castle Black on his own. It wouldn't have been as quick nor as spectacular, but they would have breached the gates at Eastwatch.

78xMT4z.jpg

- Your argument that Arya was worried about spies makes zero sense the moment you realize that LF has no leverage. If Arya turned Sansa against LF, he wouldn't be able to do anything but run in response.

He at least wouldn't have been in the same room as everyone who wants him dead without the smug expectation that things were about to go his way. And that wouldn't have happened without him sincerely believing that Sansa really felt that Arya was a threat. Which, in turn, requires that events convince him of such.

- If Arya was trying to communicate something to Sansa without telling her directly, she wouldn't have threatened her.

What would she have done?

- Sansa was able to arrange a whole execution with LF and consult Bran without him knowing, he either has no spies or has spies that are easy to avoid. Arya couldn't write a note to Sansa?

This suggestion is just laughable given Littlefinger's pretext for turning Sansa against Arya.

But at the point where Littlefinger seriously believes Sansa is going to act against Arya, he's clearly already relaxed his guard or he wouldn't dare be in the same room as the two of them.

- Your whole argument rests on Arya giving Sansa a knife, which was just an intimidating and creepy gesture. Literally nothing about Arya's aactions make sense in your scenario.

And your whole argument rests on the idea that Arya really felt that Sansa was a threat to Jon and was therefore really threatening her to try to make sure she doesn't betray him, a concern that wouldn't have magically evaporated once Sansa decided to kill Littlefinger but is apparently no longer an issue between them by the end of the episode...for what reason, exactly?

I'll take a moment that ends up providing context for Arya's intensity toward Sansa than the idea that Arya was really suspicious of her but suddenly wasn't anymore.

MikeyB

bran is fucking garbage.
They could have got around the issues of his omnipotence a but more artfully. Instead they went with him being inconsistent - in some cases, he was detached from the world and didn't seem to care about relationships, yet he also seems to weigh in when it suits him and the plot. It is poorly explained.

Here's one way to do it: Bran can see all events past and future but his ability to foresee things is blind when it comes to himself. He has a big blind spot around him. Sort of like trying to see your own eyes without a mirror.

Then, every time Bran takes action, it has a huge butterfly effect on his visions of the future, rendering him powerless for a while until the new future is known to him. So he could plausibly be deathly afraid of taking the wrong action and finding that he has changed the outcome of the world for the worse.

Mind you, the season would have to be longer to flesh that out.

I really hope they burnt Littlefinger's body.

Last thing I need is to see reanimated corpse giving counsel to the Night King in Series 8. With a great big fucking gash in his throat he'll be raspier than ever.

Goodstyle

The problem though is that she thinks she's gunna rule when it's all over, without stepping in to battle the only threat that matters right now. She's following the wrong process for survival.. the number one threat is the dead. It takes priority over everything else because if they're not defeated no one wins. The game of thrones is over.

If they battle together, she lives another day to continue to play. It's all about increasing those chances of surviving threat #1 and keeping the game alive. Jamie understands this
If they battle together and win, Dany will kill her. If they battle together and lose, the Wights will kill her.

The only scenario where Cersei gets to rule is if Dany wins and is severely weakened, that's why she's taking it. She's backed against a wall and thinks this is the only way. She doesn't care about the survival of the human race and Jaime doesn't care about the game of thrones. That's where they differ.

OrionX

I'm calling this now btw:

The Walkers are dealt with before 8x06. Cersei is the last obstacle of the show; not the Night's King.

Agreed. Night King goes down but the cost will be so high that it will look like Cersei has won as she chills on her throne drinking wine.

That's when Team Sansa strikes.

The pacing next season is gonna be ridiculous. 6 episodes to wrap it all up. Hope they extend it and let it breath a bit. The show would be better for it.

I'm calling this now btw:

The Walkers are dealt with before 8x06. Cersei is the last obstacle of the show; not the Night's King.

With how fast things went in S7 i think so too. NK will be bodied by E4 or 5.. SPRING! Last episodes will be spent on giving each remaining characters an ending notes. Like Thormund saying vows " I am hers and she is mine from this day till the end of my days."
with Brienne.
banderas.png

I'm afraid something will happen to Bran before the war against Cersei starts. Otherwise he's too powerful as an intel device.
Yep. Him spilling the beans to Sam felt like his end is imminent. Bran might not even get to see Jon.

gatti-man

There have been a lot of pop culture events like Lost. I'm not trying to take anything away from GOT, it is by far the biggest current pop culture event, but one of the biggest of all time is hard to claim.

Not when you consider piracy. Mash and many other shows were on OTA tv and available at any house. Once you add in piracy it's one of the biggest pop culture phenoms of all time absolutely.

Spinluck

Cersei sparing both Jamie and Tyrion lead me to believe they will somehow have a role in her death.

Would be awesome if she had the child and it ended up being a dwarf.

Goodstyle

He at least wouldn't have been in the same room as everyone who wants him dead without the smug expectation that things were about to go his way. And that wouldn't have happened without him sincerely believing that Sansa really felt that Arya was a threat. Which, in turn, requires that events convince him of such.

That isn't worth all the set up. Again, LF has no leverage. All Arya had to do was be honest with Sansa and then kill him. Instead she harasses Sansa and does what LF wants.

What would she have done?
I believe she would have plainly told her. My scenario here is based on your flawed logic to begin with.

This suggestion is just laughable given Littlefinger's pretext for turning Sansa against Arya.

Not a counterargument. You think Arya has no means of communicating with Sansa without alerting LF's spy network, but they can set up a whole trial for him and consult Bran without him knowing. I think THAT'S laughable.
And your whole argument rests on the idea that Arya really felt that Sansa was a threat to Jon and was therefore really threatening her to try to make sure she doesn't betray him, a concern that wouldn't have magically evaporated once Sansa decided to kill Littlefinger but is apparently no longer an issue between them by the end of the episode...for what reason, exactly?
Arya believed Sansa was a threat to Jon before LF even began playing his game with her so my reasoning rests on way better foundation than yours. Arya learned to trust Sansa in the end because she was fooled and was humbled, hence her contrite demeanor in their final scene.

Surfinn

If they battle together and win, Dany will kill her. If they battle together and lose, the Wights will kill her.

The only scenario where Cersei gets to rule is if Dany wins and is severely weakened, that's why she's taking it. She's backed against a wall and thinks this is the only way. She doesn't care about the survival of the human race and Jaime doesn't care about the game of thrones. That's where they differ.

A million things could happen in the great war. Danny could die fighting. I think showing up and offering help has a lot of variables involved, and more possibilities. I think there's a greater chance at fighting for your life and seeing how shit plays out than sitting back and waiting for the inevitable, where there's almost no variables and one obvious outcome.

I dunno I think Cercei is blinded by this bubble she's created for herself

Chaos is a ladder, or at least an opportunity to stay at the top. Sitting on your hands is not

Cersei sparing both Jamie and Tyrion lead me to believe they will somehow have a role in her death.

Would be awesome if she had the child and it ended up being a dwarf.

She tries to give birth, but it turns out it was just Tyrion who snuck himself in there all along. A jape worthy of The Imp!

Sheroking

I will burn my blurays and piss on their ashes.

I don't think you will.

Much like most past penultimate episodes are bigger than the finale, I think the ultimate confrontation with the walkers will be the spectacle of the year - but not the final conflict. 8x06, IMO, will be a mix of denouement and epilogue.

I expect The Hound vs The Mountain will take place here and Jaime will kill Cersei, dying himself in the process, to leave Tyrion as the last of Tywin's legacy: a lasting irony that ties up the Lannister's family bonds.

Spinluck

AKA "oh shit, Lena Headey is coming, I gotta get out of here Pod."

It's getting incredibly apparent at this point. And when their characters mention each other (and never appear in the same scene? it just reminds of that off camera drama even more lol.

SgtCobra

Tormund x Brianne needs to be a thing.

I do hope they bring him back, even if it's just for his death. He's not really an actor though so he might have to die offscreen rather than give a bad death scene.
Exactly, I totally forgot about the man surviving cancer so yeah I'd understand him not wanting to do any acting work anymore. It would be cool to see Arya finish her list with him on it though.

Initial thoughts: best episode of a series that's been very enjoyable but had a lot of rushed sorry pacing, plot points overlooked, and missed characterisation.

This had the most 'old school' thrones feeling. Which is ironic given where the show is up to plot wise.

Edit: and I think the issues this series could have been majorly fixed by having the standard number of episodes. Whether HBO didn't want to fund them at the inflated cost (due to extra cgi and complex shots this season) or D&D weren't interested in more episodes I'm not sure. Either way this season really could have done with it.

SkylineRKR

This is a big over simplification all to explain something that isn't true about Littlefinger.

Petyr Baelish once truly loved Cat. This is true. But the moment she goes off and marries Ned to secure a union between Houses, there's a part of him that snaps. He learns that his love means jack in the face of status and power and that's when he dedicates himself to gaining that power. He still loves Cat, in a way, and he has a weird twisted thing for Sansa eventually as well but that absolutely doesn't stop him from using them and their loved ones as pawns in his play for power. And he gives absolutely zero shits about them suffering or dying as a result of his moves.

Remember that Baelish is the entire reason the kingdom goes into utter chaos and he stokes that fire as much as he can. He doesn't lose because he tells Sansa what he wanted. He lost because in order to play the game the way he and Varys do, you need information and you need misdirection. You need strengths and weaknesses, histories, habits, personality types, and capabilities. He's at a disadvantage on all these things once Bran and Arya show up. He knows absolutely zero about them or what they've been through. So he falls back on the one thing he does know. Sansa. But he completely misjudges her and fails to recognize that after what she's been through since being sent to Ramsey, more of her mothers qualities of strength have come to the surface and she isn't buying what he's selling.

Yeah thats how I view Petyr as well. He's a complicated character, a good one. But he was on borrowed time this season. He loved Cat, but threw her and her family indirectly under the bus. He loved Sansa, but gave her to a savage that could easily kill her. He believed in chaos, and in chaos he reigns.

But Bran "I can see all kinds of shit" is a bit of a lame way to expose him.

RDreamer

Anyone else will use those 2 years of waiting to finally start reading the books?

Part of me wants to but a larger part of me doesn't want to go through the slog of reading all of them only to sit and wait for the last two. I'm at least going to wait until there's a more definite release of the next book before diving in.

PixelatedBookake

Cersei is dumb. Why not just pretend to be on Dany's side during the war, and as soon as it's over backstab her? She could have even brought the Scorpion with the pretense that she would use it to kill blue eyes than use it on Drogon when she had an opening.

Goodstyle

A million things could happen in the great war. Danny could die fighting. I think showing up and offering help has a lot of variables involved, and more possibilities. I think there's a greater chance at fighting for your life and seeing how shit plays out than sitting back and waiting for the inevitable, where there's almost no variables and one obvious outcome.

I dunno I think Cercei is blinded by this bubble she's created for herself

Chaos is a ladder, or at least an opportunity to stay at the top. Sitting on your hands is not
Dany could die, but that's less likely if she sends her armies. I genuinely believe that Dany is willing to kill Cersei the moment this is over, and Cersei believes that too. Helping might turn out well for her, but in her view that is less likely than not helping would.

Cersei doesn't care about the human race, she cares about winning and maintaining power. Throwing her smaller army in with Dany (which she believes won't help that much anyways), would just leave her defenseless if they do win. Dany winning with a weakened army is the only scenario she thinks she can come out of this.

Top Bottom