• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Now the war is really on and with the Night King's ability to raise the dead, I'm hoping we get to see some of the older dead characters return.

It would be cool to see undead Ramsey or Catelyn come back to terrorise Sansa and Arya and undead Jeffrey or Tommen come back to terrorise Cercei. ;)

Dark winter nights + undead could lead to some creepy scenes, hopefully they go for a horror feel with the first episode, showing the undead attacking the northern folk and Winterfell in the middle of the night could be awesome.

Surfinn

Dany could die, but that's less likely if she sends her armies. I genuinely believe that Dany is willing to kill Cersei the moment this is over, and Cersei believes that too. Helping might turn out well for her, but in her view that is less likely than not helping would.

Cersei doesn't care about the human race, she cares about winning and maintaining power. Throwing her smaller army in with Dany (which she believes won't help that much anyways), would just leave her defenseless if they do win. Dany winning with a weakened army is the only scenario she thinks she can come out of this.

I get that she doesn't care, she even said as much this episode "hang the world", to Jaime.

It's just weird. Fight for an actual chance to beat the dead and live AT ALL, or have a much smaller chance of everything staying the same by sitting on your hands.

She's dumb for not seeing the threat for what it is and instead going all in with a shit hand, instead of a decent hand.

But it fits her character

Steejee

Ep 6 in final season will be Epilogue IMO - NK and Cersei plotlines both over, kingdoms reunited, etc. Seven seasons of this show can't wrap up 10 minutes before it's over, simply far too many relationships.

During the attack on the wall (well, less an attack than a total romping) I developed a new pet theory on the NK + the Wall -
Everyone keeps asking how he would have gotten past the wall if not for the Dragon, throwing stuff out like him having some sort of greenseer powers or such. I assumed he had an original plan and just seized on the opportunity presented when Dany and her Dragons showed up. I don't think he was waiting for her - the WW clearly have no real concern for time and were happy to watch Jon and Co suffer and freeze. Got a dragon instead, so screw that original plan.

So my guess is that those big fucking chains were being brought along for the Wall. The NK did need to use Bran or some means to break the magic, but once that was done it was just a giant wall. By itself that is still a big barrier, so they were going to use those giant to rip chunks off, or pull the gate down, something along those lines. Hell, they have Giants - have the giants throw the chains to the top of the wall and climb them. Instead, Dany shows up, NK takes down one of the smaller Dragons, and plan giant-chain gets updated.

No strategy ever survives an encounter with the enemy, NK was just rolling with the options he got. He's a better commander than Jon after all...

To be fair, this is a bit of an unfair characterization since they are still putting the same amount of work into the two "shorter" seasons (if not more) as they would into two full seasons. Doing two short seasons allows them to allocate more time and budget for each individual episode, which means they can pull off more large scale sequences than they would under a normal schedule. Word is that episodes in the final season might approach 2 hours in length. They are essentially going to produce six feature length, effects heavy movies for season 8.

That's understandable, but didn't everyone say that the season 7 episodes would be at least an hour and a half each? We only got two episodes that wound up being that long. Or maybe I'm confusing it with what people are saying for season 8, but I could have sworn I remember people claiming that season 7 would have super long episodes too.

Doomsayer

Cersei is dumb. Why not just pretend to be on Dany's side during the war, and as soon as it's over backstab her? She could have even brought the Scorpion with the pretense that she would use it to kill blue eyes than use it on Drogon when she had an opening.

No one knows they have a dragon at this point, because Bran is being a useless fool right now.

Pretty uneven season for me, but this past episode reminded me why I love this show so much. The dialogue was almost perfect in some scenes and it relied on the actors actually, you know, acting. The scenes with Tyrion and Cersei, Jaime and Cersei, and the trial at Winterfell specifically. For all the hate Cersei gets she can act her ass off when she needs to.

Even the scene with Theon was powerful. I'm glad he caught at least one win before he gets killed trying to rescue Yara.

Watching the Wall come down... made me feel some type of way though.

nubbe

giphy.gif

xevis

Banned
I never liked the zombies or dragons angle or any of the magic nonsense. Now the show is nothing but this stuff. Also, it feels like all the interesting characters are long gone or rewritten into worse versions of themselves. Ugh. I don't know why I keep watching.

That isn't worth all the set up. Again, LF has no leverage. All Arya had to do was be honest with Sansa and then kill him. Instead she harasses Sansa and does what LF wants.

I believe she would have plainly told her. My scenario here is based on your flawed logic to begin with.

Not a counterargument. You think Arya has no means of communicating with Sansa without alerting LF's spy network, but they can set up a whole trial for him and consult Bran without him knowing. I think THAT'S laughable.

Arya believed Sansa was a threat to Jon before LF even began playing his game with her so my reasoning rests on way better foundation than yours. Arya learned to trust Sansa in the end because she was fooled and was humbled, hence her contrite demeanor in their final scene.

All of this ignores Arya's character development. She's learned to mask her intentions (no pun intended) to achieve her goals. A lesson that was literally beaten into her. And neither sister has been taught lessons through speaking plainly. They've learned to be on their guard at all times. They've learned to be wary of duplicitous intentions. For them to speak plainly to each other at first reintroduction would be a character regression on both their parts.

The knife scene isn't necessarily one or the other speaking in code so as to avoid Littlefinger's spying as much as it is them taking measure of each other. Sansa is trying to find out just how much of a monster Arya may be and Arya is trying to see if Sansa will crack under the pressure of physical threat. Arya giving Sansa the knife absolutely is a sign. It's Arya showing Sansa both that she doesn't view Sansa as a threat and simultaneously signifies that she will be Sansa's weapon if needed.

Goodstyle

I get that she doesn't care, she even said as much this episode "hang the world", to Jaime.

It's just weird. Fight for an actual chance to beat the dead and live AT ALL, or have a much smaller chance of everything staying the same by sitting on your hands.

She's dumb for not seeing the threat for what it is and instead going all in with a shit hand, instead of a decent hand.

But it fits her character
Living without power isn't worth it to Cersei. She would die before bending a knee to Dany, especially after everything she sacrificed.

She would take a small chance to win with power before she'd take a decent chance to win with no power.

Ya that's myopic, but it makes perfect sense for her character. I agree with you on that one.

SkylineRKR

Its impossible for me to hate Cersei. That woman is in the show since S1E1. And Headey is my favourite actress in this show by far. To me, she is Game of Thrones. She's also playing that game. Is she overplaying her hand right now? Perhaps, but she hasn't seen the actual threat. She thinks the combined forces can take it and then she can take them. I think shes wrong, but I can't wait for S8.

Jon on the other hand, yeah he's a good guy but jesus the guy is boring, flat and dumb as fuck. His chemistry kind of sucks as well. Look at Cersei, her chemistry with Tyrion, Jaime... I don't want that gone.

Surfinn

Living without power isn't worth it to Cersei. She would die before bending a knee to Dany, especially after everything she sacrificed.

She would take a small chance to win with power before she'd take a decent chance to win with no power.

Ya that's myopic, but it makes perfect sense for her character. I agree with you on that one.

Yup. Which is what I was talking about earlier as being stupid and short sighted. Intelligent in understanding her chances of maintaining power, though, I'll give her that. She will die sitting on a false throne. Congrats to her

That isn't worth all the set up. Again, LF has no leverage. All Arya had to do was be honest with Sansa and then kill him. Instead she harasses Sansa and does what LF wants.

Doesn't Littlefinger have leverage in the form of Sansa's letter, which would tarnish her reputation among the other Northmen? Isn't that the entire pretext for their argument? Doesn't their "gotcha" moment with Littlefinger only work because the situation escalates to the point where he thinks he has them beat?

I believe she would have plainly told her. My scenario here is based on your flawed logic to begin with.

You believe this based on...what? Arya's long history of knowing Sansa will have her back? Arya having full confidence that Sansa's finally gonna do something about Littlefinger even though she's been keeping him around despite the fact he's been a treacherous worm the entire time?

Arya was never gonna openly do anything against Littlefinger until she knew that she had allies. She couldn't be sure that Sansa would be her ally without testing her.

Not a counterargument. You think Arya refuses to risk openly communicating her concerns to Sansa without knowing Sansa is ready and willing to act against Littlefinger, a concern that's only magnified by the presence of LF's spy network, but they can set up a whole trial for him and consult Bran without him knowing. I think THAT'S laughable.

fixed

Arya believed Sansa was a threat to Jon before LF even began playing his game with her so my reasoning rests on way better foundation than yours. Arya learned to trust Sansa in the end because she was fooled and was humbled, hence her contrite demeanor in their final scene.

I know she really is angry with Sansa.

What I don't believe is that she's angry enough to issue real threats, especially when those threats are never addressed between the two characters again even as the story arc closes, and even more especially when it was obvious by the end of the last episode that she has no intention of killing Sansa or taking her face even though she's feigning at the possibility.

Seems much more plausible to me that Arya is doing what Arya does as a faceless man and is putting on a mask for appearances, than that Arya was really threatening her sister with violence and then just lets the underlying grievances go.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Gonna rewatch the show soon, there were a lot of callbacks this season.

I rewatched s1 before the finale hit and when Tyrion's 'whatever they're paying you, I'll give you double' hit I thought they could be using that again... and they did! I don't know if I'll do a full rewatch but I'm definitely tempted. And s1 is so good all the way through. Every scene with Sean Bean and/or Mark Addy is gold. BOW YA SHITS

I think people just wanted some kind of awesome ending to LF, like he was just about to get into power just to lose it at the last second of something. But seeing where the series is heading, and seriously it only makes sense, for more an epic fight between the nightwalkers, LF hasn't any place in the show any longer.

The time for mind tricks, and power hunger games are over, they don't have place anymore in the series. This is it, those are the final chess pieces in the final war. There's no more time for machinations anf big plans, dude you had 6 seasons to climb that fucking ladder, you were still half way at best.

That said, LF ending still makes sense, and I feel it was decently built up, since the 6th season, he's been opening to Sansa and showing his true self to her. Unlike Catelyn which he hide his true character, because he knew she would never love him. But he hoped he could make Sansa like him, slowly but surely she could become his lover and love him for what he was.

He thought he could manipulate her like her mother, who trusted him to deadly consequences. That was his mistake, Sansa, after what she suffered after what she learned with Cersei, she's no longer a naive girl like her mother. She knew well she couldn't trust him and after Arya didn't killed her in that room, she understood that she wouldn't kill her and that the one she should look for is LF, and his teachings lead her to the realization, that he was plotting against both sisters,

Is clear that LF miscalculated and understimated Sansa, because he was blind with love.

Surfinn

I think people just wanted some kind of awesome ending to LF, like he was just about to get into power just to lose it at the last second of something. But seeing where the series is heading, and seriously it only makes sense, for more an epic fight between the nightwalkers, LF hasn't any place in the show any longer.

The time for mind tricks, and power hunger games are over, they don't have place anymore in the series. This is it, those are the final chess pieces in the final war. There's no more time for machinations anf big plans, dude you had 6 seasons to climb that fucking ladder, you were still half way at best.

That said, LF ending still makes sense, and I feel it was decently built up, since the 6th season, he's been opening to Sansa and showing his true self to her. Unlike Catelyn which he hide his true character, because he knew she would never love him. But he hoped he could make Sansa like him, slowly but surely she could become his lover and love him for what he was.

He thought he could manipulate her like her mother, who trusted him to deadly consequences. That was his mistake, Sansa, after what she suffered after what she learned with Cersei, she's no longer a naive girl like her mother. She knew well she couldn't trust him and after Arya didn't killed her in that room, she understood that she wouldn't kill her and that the one she should look for is LF, and his teachings lead her to the realization, that he was plotting against both sisters,

Is clear that LF miscalculated and understimated Sansa, because he was blind with love.

Good post. It makes no fucking sense for Sansa to not figure out LF eventually and actively works against her character development. Sansa getting played and deceived by LF, after all the stuff she's been through, would be TWD shit tier writing. She would have learned nothing from her mother (and family's) mistakes.

I'm glad the writers had enough spine to pull this off and complete Sansa's character, and boy was the payoff worth it.

"I am a slow learner, it's true.. but I do eventually learn" That was a great moment too

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

LF went out like I always expected him to: on his knees, crying and begging for his life. The road to that point wasn't exactly how I pictured it, but I'm pretty happy with the final scene.

Machina

Banned

The thing that gets me about Littlefinger is this character who has been positioned to be the most unpredictable in the series met what I thought was a very predictable end. He was beyond naive to think Sansa and Arya would turn against each other. They and Bran are all they have left of the Stark bloodline, no chance they put that at jeopardy and spit on their parents memory. It is out of character for Littlefinger to be naive, and that's where the love for Sansa/Catalyn comes into it as you mentioned. Plus he still assumed the Vale Knights would have his back, wroooong. The moment it came out that Littlefinger was complicit in Jon Aryn's murder, that was the end of that.

Now we move on to Jon's heritage, and not just how Dany is gonna react but how Arya and Sansa are gonna react. Jon is their cousin instead of their brother. That definitely puts his position as King in the North in question at the very least, especially while Bran still lives. He may not want to be King but the Northern Lords and his sisters are another matter.

Ep 6 in final season will be Epilogue IMO - NK and Cersei plotlines both over, kingdoms reunited, etc. Seven seasons of this show can't wrap up 10 minutes before it's over, simply far too many relationships.

During the attack on the wall (well, less an attack than a total romping) I developed a new pet theory on the NK + the Wall -
Everyone keeps asking how he would have gotten past the wall if not for the Dragon, throwing stuff out like him having some sort of greenseer powers or such. I assumed he had an original plan and just seized on the opportunity presented when Dany and her Dragons showed up. I don't think he was waiting for her - the WW clearly have no real concern for time and were happy to watch Jon and Co suffer and freeze. Got a dragon instead, so screw that original plan.

So my guess is that those big fucking chains were being brought along for the Wall. The NK did need to use Bran or some means to break the magic, but once that was done it was just a giant wall. By itself that is still a big barrier, so they were going to use those giant to rip chunks off, or pull the gate down, something along those lines. Hell, they have Giants - have the giants throw the chains to the top of the wall and climb them. Instead, Dany shows up, NK takes down one of the smaller Dragons, and plan giant-chain gets updated.

No strategy ever survives an encounter with the enemy, NK was just rolling with the options he got. He's a better commander than Jon after all...
The Wall has magic in it that prevents the dead from passing. Even if all the tunnels along the Wall had their gates opened, they wouldn't be able to get through.

Only way for them to get by is to destroy it.

SkylineRKR

Arya even gave the special knife to Sansa. It seemed to me that LF had already been figured out at this point (after all Bran got the weapon rather soon, and he likely figured it out on the spot). They couldn't openly talk, and why else give LF's knife after an arguement? That was more or less Arya agreeing with Sansa that the owner of the knife is the one who needs to die. Sansa knew his cunning, his ears, they couldn't speak.

Sadist

Well... that escalated quickly.

- "Why would anyone live in a city with a million people in it?" "People are looking for jobs. Brothels are far superior too." Tyrion knows whats up. Pun intended.

- Why even bother with Cersei; the woman is so damn cutthroat. She had no intention of discussing anything.

- The Hound had some great stuff again; I don't want to die in this shit city. And man, we're so close to Clegane bowl. So damn close. Make it so. You're indulging in so many fan fantasies, please give us a good bout between those two. We need it. "You're even uglier than me now"

- Cersei was legit shook though.

- Euron a pussy? He's a damn moron. I don't buy it. Not for a single moment.

- Brienne's fuck loyalty was great. Jaime was taken aback by this notion at first. Good on her though. People growing backbones.

- The face-off between Tyrion and Cersei was great too. Cersei could have ended him, but she didn't. That crazy little smirk when Tyrion suggested to be beheaded was a bit eerie, but not doing it showed some restraint. It's all in the endgame playbook for her I suppose. I didn't believe her for one second that she would send away her troops.

- Still, the talk between Jon and Daenny was fun. "I can't have any children. The Dorthraki elder told me" "Well maybe that's not a great source of information". Ah Jon, ever the levelheaded and wisest of them all. Except for capturing a white walker that is.

- Jaime walking away from Cersei, finally! Guess he'll slay another ruler next season ey? But good on him for being fed up with her shit. Jaime will be scoring a lot of points for this one.

- Snow flakes? Oh man, winter has come.

- I expected to happen (or I would have hated the writers forever) but that moment when Arya stands before Sansa, Little Finger smirking and she accuses him for murder and treason. The moment when it hits, the surprise on his face is fan-bloody-tastic. I'm really impressed by the performance all around. Baelish begging for his life, Sansa telling she's a slow learner, but she understands in the end. And that swift slash from Artya... beautiful. Another backbone. Good on you Sansa.

- Oh man, that Jon reveal. We all knew it... but to see Jon x Daenny happening, welp. My reaction:

- And oh man, Tormund! Please be alive you crazy son of a bitch.

- And shhhhhhiiiieeeeeeeet the final scene. All of them walkers. That undead dragon. And blue fire. Oh man. Oh man.

Surfinn

As much as I wanted LF to die, it was kinda sad to see him crying.

Yup this was totally intentional. He actually did love Kat and Sansa but he put the game above all else.

"The ladder is all there is"

You almost feel bad for him though. Almost

Then you remember what kind of a monster he is and you're happy again.

Yup this was totally intentional. He actually did love Kat and Sansa but he put the game above all else.

"The ladder is all there is"

You almost feel bad for him. Almost

Such a fascinating character, played by such a great actor.

Detested Littlefinger, but I will miss him. He was the spirit of Game of Thrones summed up into one character.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ah ha! it took me a while but I finally found the waif hint for the episode

Arya killed LF with the dagger in her right hand... she's left handed! (waif is right handed)

:>

actually it's the second, the first one was where she stated she was the executioner, and sansa passed the sentence. stark way is to kill those you sentence yourself as referenced in the execution scene in the pilot

Surfinn

Such a fascinating character, played by such a great actor.

Detested Littlefinger, but I will miss him. He was the spirit of Game of Thrones summed up into one character.

Yup. It was pretty exhilarating watching him in this episode. The curtain pulled back.. completely exposed. Sniveling, begging, at the mercy of those he'd manipulated, for a change.

Dude nailed his scenes.. bravo.

jviggy43

Then you should have stopped watching after the first 10 minutes of episode 1.

What is this? They make up like less than 1% of this show.

Oh come on. The day-to-day struggles and courtly intrigue was the main drawcard of this show for the first 3-4 seasons. Now it's all about spectacle and CGI.

Yep. This show was completely character driven from the start. The white walkers made one appearance for the entirety of S1, and were never heard from again. What an absolutely puzzling position to take. In fact, the WW are the least interesting aspect of this show to me. Theyre horribly underdeveloped and as such I have no interest in that conflict whereas almost everything else in this show's conflict I am heavily interested in because everything has been set up and developed to an extent that I care about everyone involved.

In retrospect, Arya figured it out episodes ago.

Everything from then on was her cluing Sansa into it. In her own way, she showed what she could do, but also, that she had no interest in being a lady. She handed over the dagger, and let Sansa understand what needed to be done. She was litterally offering to do the deed if needed.

And when Littlefinger tried to lead Sansa down the thought path that Arya to replace her as Lady, Sansa finally put it all together herself, as that just wasn't a possible outcome knowing her sister.

Yeah thats how I view Petyr as well. He's a complicated character, a good one. But he was on borrowed time this season. He loved Cat, but threw her and her family indirectly under the bus. He loved Sansa, but gave her to a savage that could easily kill her. He believed in chaos, and in chaos he reigns.

But Bran "I can see all kinds of shit" is a bit of a lame way to expose him.

Bran isn't the one that exposes him so much as he's the missing piece that Sansa needs to finally end Baelish.

Sansa already knows that Baelish is a manipulator but he's also good enough at it that he has plausible deniability. Ironically, it's Littlefinger's constant reminders that the Northern Lords would trust her decisions that gives her the reinforcement to move against him. Bran's ability gives Sansa the ability to piece together every manipulation accurate enough that the both the Northern Lords and the Knights of the Vale (who already suspected Baelish) that they allow him to be killed without tarnishing their honor. And in Westeros, that's all you need.

Surfinn

Wow, just watched the "chaos is a ladder" scene. He talks about people clinging to "illusions" like gods and love.

Crazy that his love for Cat/Sansa sent him spiraling right back down the ladder. But his damage is done. He irreversibly fucked up so many lives and handed the worst people power.

Sadist

Bran isn't the one that exposes him so much as he's the missing piece that Sansa needs to finally end Baelish.

Sansa already knows that Baelish is a manipulator but he's also good enough at it that he has plausible deniability. Ironically, it's Littlefinger's constant reminders that the Northern Lords would trust her decisions that gives her the reinforcement to move against him. Bran's ability gives Sansa the ability to piece together every manipulation accurate enough that the both the Northern Lords and the Knights of the Vale (who already suspected Baelish) that they allow him to be killed without tarnishing their honor. And in Westeros, that's all you need.
Sansa tells Baelish this as well. "I'm a slow learner. But I learn, eventually."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did everyone forget about the true Lord of the Vale? Robyn, Sansa cousin. He loved his Uncle Peter, and he's definitely not stable.. How's he gonna take all this?

This was the question of how to take out Littlefinger without pissing off Robyn but Littlefinger confessed to killing his mother. Robyn will still back Sansa now that he knows Littlefinger was playing him all along.

qcf x2

Yup. Which is what I was talking about earlier as being stupid and short sighted. Intelligent in understanding her chances of maintaining power, though, I'll give her that. She will die sitting on a false throne. Congrats to her

Who is gonna live sitting on a real throne? lol. With all of the poor writing of the past couple seasons (and especially this season), Cersei is the only character whose actions have been consistent, even if you disagree with them entirely. The other options to sit on the throne are tweedle dee and tweedle dum. Dunces with Dragons.

I feel the worst for Tyrion's character, he was written into a bit of a loser since he met Danerys (surprise!). Well, him and Catelyn. LOL.

I never liked the zombies or dragons angle or any of the magic nonsense. Now the show is nothing but this stuff. Also, it feels like all the interesting characters are long gone or rewritten into worse versions of themselves. Ugh. I don't know why I keep watching.

Probably to finish. This series is like Bleach for me, I invested so much time already that I'm gonna see it through til the end.

Did everyone forget about the true Lord of the Vale? Robyn, Sansa cousin. He loved his Uncle Peter, and he's definitely not stable.. How's he gonna take all this?

The Knights of the Vale don't want to be led by Robyn, though they're honor bound to do so. However since the war is on and the last order they got was to support Sansa, Robyn won't come into play unless the Knights go to him to inform him. Which they can avoid doing until after the wars are settled.

Top Bottom