• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

televator

Wrong, GoT is filmed with Arri Alexa cameras which go a lot higher than 4K. But the show is mastered in 2K because of the numerous effect shots.

Also, educate yourself on why UHD/4K releases are beneficial even for 1080p or 2K sources. This "bu-bu-but upscale!" thing is entirely overblown.

Since season 4 every boxset has been 4 discs. Now with only 7 episodes, 3 discs makes sense.

GoT releases always have pristine image quality and high bitrates.

I missread the box wording of "The complete seventh season" as "the complete seven seasons" lol

Here are my issues with a few of these issues.

Killing off characters. If you kill off everyone important, the story is finished before it ends. No one would care if it was only Dickon and the Sands fighting the White Walkers because no one cares about them. You need characters that are established and have been around for a long time. Take a look at the OT for the third season and see how many characters are in the OP, compared to how many there are in this years OT.

Twists. These things still happen but here's the thing, eventually as you reach end game there are only so many possible twists and turns because you're roster is reduced greatly and your story has to narrow to reach a conclusion. In the first season we all thought Ned was end game, Robb was end game, Tywin, we though he was as well, just as the video states. But what benefit would there be to killing off Brienne right now? There isn't one other than shock value, just as there really isn't any reason to keep her around. So why not keep her around, she's liked, she can fight. Not at all essential to the story it seems, but who knows. This goes for a lot of the remaining cast. It's not like we didn't lose any major characters this season and it's not like they still can't offer something that will shock us. We didn't expect to see Shae in Tywins quarters, but there she was.

Next, and this is the biggest, speculation and leaks. It comes to a point where there are only so many possible outcomes especially when it comes to the end game, it's a lot harder to be surprising when the two biggest outcomes are, white walkers win, or white walkers lose. But worse than that is when there are assholes coming in here, a place that's well guarded against leak talks and spoilers and they say boatsex 2 weeks before it happens. No one knows they're spoiling anything but they are. Suddenly speculation becomes fact because of leaks and limited threads in which the story can take.

Also, a couple years ago there were a lot of complaints about how this show was becoming predicable. Not because it started to follow fantasy tropes, but because it kept following it's own rules and that those rules became comical and predictable. "They killed Jon? That's just bad writing man, it's so predicable now, what's the point if you're going to kill everyone off"...Now a couple years later, "OMG everyone has plot armor all of the sudden, this show is pure fantasy now, it's so predicable it's just bad writing."

The biggest issue of the season was travel time, it was handled poorly in a lot of cases. Dany swooping in to save the fellowship could have been handled a lot better. Benjen saving Jon could be seen as Benjen was always watching the NK from a safe distance. It could have been better if Bran as the Three eyed raved sent him to save Jon, just as the 3ER sent Uncle B to save Bran and Meera last season.

Anyway, I see why some people have issues, but I think you need to understand that there are reasons, the leaks will ruin things, speculation will ruin things, the story needs to funnel and you need characters for people to care about otherwise, who cares about the story that's happening around their dead bodies. Did the season have issues? Yup, but so did every other season, for different reasons. People literally stopped watching because they killed people they cared about. The show evolved and it has to come to an end, that's it, and the end will never satisfy everyone. Not one with this many moving pieces along the way.

I agree with pretty much everything here. No need for me to comment since you explained it yourself fine but

The boatsex thing, my god I was seeing Dany x Jon youtube videos LOADED with #boatsex comments, so fucking annoying. I hope to god if the scripts for s8 leak that motherfuckers keep their spoiled asses to themselves.

Someone said something similar, so I went on the Dany and Jon trending topic on Twitter and spent, like, ten minutes reading all the tweets. Most people were loving it and not even bringing up the incest, a few said it was weird but they still liked it and then a few just straight up said it was no bueno.

Unless Twitter has an incest fetish, then I'd say that most people like them and are overlooking the incest.
hm, well if you can definitively say that most fans are on board this ship, then great. for some reason I feel like most people aren't, I guess that's just how media outlets are reporting it themselves because incest is seen as so wrong but I thought, given everything about this universe and its people and particularly Starks & Targaryens that it would be seen as more acceptable. And it's not like they are brother/sister like Jaime/Cersei.

edit: sorry for double post

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The seed is strong.

Blonde hair is typically recessive.

I didn't like the acting. Dany was mostly straining her neck. John with the permanent brooding face were the most egregious examples of this. Still, a good season.

A single person has ever called her "Dany", and it was her brother Viserys. The only reason viewers call her Dany is because they usually misspell her full name.

Not talking about specific events, but there are a lot of people who also call her Dany because the book does it at times when referring to her, like when she's doing things (e.g. Dany ate the red apple, it was tasty) and there are undoubtedly some show watchers who caught on from that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why does Sansa favour her mother when all the other Stark kids have the same colouring of their father? Come on guys, dominant and recessive genes is juniour high knowledge lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He isn't related to the Baratheon's at all. He's half Stark half Targayrean.

I guess the jag is he's got Lyanna's hair.

I know that. I'm saying that's how Ned found out about Cersei and Jaime.

Darker hair colors are dominant traits, so they appear more often.

Heshinsi

Maybe Ned was heterozygous. Maybe his mum was a redhead.

My point is that people keep trying to blow "the seed is strong" far beyond what it actually meant. How can someone be confused as to why Jon doesn't have the prototypical Targ look, when amongst the Starks, Sansa doesn't have the well known Stark look? The "seed is strong" was essentially a discovery that there has never been a blonde headed child amongst the Baratheons, no matter who they intermarried with.

The more I think about how little of Cersei ruling Westeros we saw, the more I get sad and angry. That was the most looked forward too thing at the end of last season for me...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The more I think about how little of Cersei ruling Westeros we saw, the more I get sad and angry. That was the most looked forward too thing at the end of last season for me...

There's no space in the story for it. She took over just as the story entered it's final arcs.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There's no space in the story for it. She took over just as the story entered it's final arcs.

Even then, did we really ever see anyone ruling Westeros? I guess the closest we got was Robert but he quickly died off and then everything after that was backstabbing, scheming, murder and war. Not much time for actual ruling.

Over in Essos, we did see Dany actually ruling a city and trying to hold it together but that also turned into war and whatnot.

Heshinsi

Ruling what now? First episode Jaime stated to Cersei that almost every realm is in open rebellion or defiance of Cersei. She's like the Abbasid Caliph Al-Musta'sim, who just like her ran a kingdom where the only places he truly had dominion over was the capital (Baghdad), its immediate surroundings, and a few provinces. All the other realms within the Caliphate were essentially either paying lip service to the Caliph's authority, or in straight out rebellion against him. Just like her, he too had to face the oncoming juggernaut that was a foreign and "savage" invasion. I was waiting for the Mongols Dothraki and Hulagu Khan Dany to finally take King's Landing and remove Cersei from power.

Why? Last season ended with her knee-deep in war. Even if we had 10 episodes and a more deliberate pace this season, she wouldn't have any time to do any actual governing.

Here are my issues with a few of these issues.

Killing off characters. If you kill off everyone important, the story is finished before it ends. No one would care if it was only Dickon and the Sands fighting the White Walkers because no one cares about them. You need characters that are established and have been around for a long time. Take a look at the OT for the third season and see how many characters are in the OP, compared to how many there are in this years OT.

Twists. These things still happen but here's the thing, eventually as you reach end game there are only so many possible twists and turns because you're roster is reduced greatly and your story has to narrow to reach a conclusion. In the first season we all thought Ned was end game, Robb was end game, Tywin, we though he was as well, just as the video states. But what benefit would there be to killing off Brienne right now? There isn't one other than shock value, just as there really isn't any reason to keep her around. So why not keep her around, she's liked, she can fight. Not at all essential to the story it seems, but who knows. This goes for a lot of the remaining cast. It's not like we didn't lose any major characters this season and it's not like they still can't offer something that will shock us. We didn't expect to see Shae in Tywins quarters, but there she was.

Next, and this is the biggest, speculation and leaks. It comes to a point where there are only so many possible outcomes especially when it comes to the end game, it's a lot harder to be surprising when the two biggest outcomes are, white walkers win, or white walkers lose. But worse than that is when there are assholes coming in here, a place that's well guarded against leak talks and spoilers and they say boatsex 2 weeks before it happens. No one knows they're spoiling anything but they are. Suddenly speculation becomes fact because of leaks and limited threads in which the story can take.

Also, a couple years ago there were a lot of complaints about how this show was becoming predicable. Not because it started to follow fantasy tropes, but because it kept following it's own rules and that those rules became comical and predictable. "They killed Jon? That's just bad writing man, it's so predicable now, what's the point if you're going to kill everyone off"...Now a couple years later, "OMG everyone has plot armor all of the sudden, this show is pure fantasy now, it's so predicable it's just bad writing."

The biggest issue of the season was travel time, it was handled poorly in a lot of cases. Dany swooping in to save the fellowship could have been handled a lot better. Benjen saving Jon could be seen as Benjen was always watching the NK from a safe distance. It could have been better if Bran as the Three eyed raved sent him to save Jon, just as the 3ER sent Uncle B to save Bran and Meera last season.

Anyway, I see why some people have issues, but I think you need to understand that there are reasons, the leaks will ruin things, speculation will ruin things, the story needs to funnel and you need characters for people to care about otherwise, who cares about the story that's happening around their dead bodies. Did the season have issues? Yup, but so did every other season, for different reasons. People literally stopped watching because they killed people they cared about. The show evolved and it has to come to an end, that's it, and the end will never satisfy everyone. Not one with this many moving pieces along the way.

The biggest issue for me this season which is addressed in the video is indisputable. They set up rules that if you fuck up in dumb ways, there is a price to pay. Good, bad, morally gray. The God of death has no favorites. The biggest difference this season is dumb shit characters do and then live for the sake living. If they don't want to kill characters this year, don't put them in clear death flag scenarios and have them live just because, since it goes completely against the rules. This isn't a case of kill them all as the Mad King stated. It's a case of putting Jaime and Bron in those situations and them making it out of a dumpster.. sorry I meant lake 2 miles later with many pounds of armor. Or all those things in episode 6 where there were too many hollywood action flick moments of horseshit.

Season 6 earned a lot of moments and other than Arya getting stabbed and then running a fucking marathon, it followed the rules still. It felt earned when mostly good things happen. Season 7 people are saying it feels more Hollywood and to me, that is the reason. These "lets put x character in clear situation they would die in the series and then just make it out alive". Execution can be a lot better here, simple as. There is a sense of how tense I feel as a viewer when I watch GoT, an unnerving feeling that something bad can truly happen at any point. This season it has felt drastically less so than every other season.

I don't really mind the fast travel potions characters acquire. Every final fantasy game has it towards the end of the game so it's realistic in my eyes. Only episode 6 it was jarring and there the biggest issue was bad directing (he should have been more clever in displaying it). Finale was smooth as fuck for me on the other hand. To me, the season was still pretty damn fantastic. Episode 4 and 7 are amazing episodes, and plenty others are pretty good to great. I do hope in the final season, there is a tenseness and sense of danger of the unknown that has plagued this series from the beginning. Not just from NK, but anything. I also hope they take their time with scenes and dialogue a little bit longer like episode 7 which did a fantastic job at it. That's all I ask for s8 presuming they nail the conclusion. No matter what, this will be one of my favorite shows unless the end is someone waking up from a bad dream or some shit like that lol

I kind of do, and intentionally putting her hand on her belly when she was talking to Tyrion seemed like she wanted him to think that, and not the oops, you caught me reaction she had afterwards...

She played him, but really played herself in the end.

The only reason LF hadn't been killed yet is because Sansa testifying on his behalf. He also outright threatened the Vale dude last season.

Yea, he had no actually friends.

How stupid is Cercei? Jaime is just sitting there fucking flabbergasted listening to her talk about ruling when there is literally no way any of them survive if they don't do all they can to beat the dead/WW. She thinks 20k (standing alone) is going to do shit against ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PLUS of undead soldiers, not including their WW masters, and not sending all they can to the north to help form a huge army?

I know she just cares about herself and her family but my god is her vision short sighted.

I love Jamie's response to her stupidity:

"When the fighting in the north is over, someone wins, you understand that don't you? If the dead win, they march south, and kill us all. If the living win, and we've betrayed them, THEY MARCH SOUTH AND KILL US ALL."

Like, what more needs to be fucking said? Either you fight for a chance to BE ALIVE, or you don't. Or you just hope.. it all goes away? What?

Her response is basically a form of denial. She thinks she's being clever, when in reality, she's still dumb.

Jamie leaves and will tell them, which at that point, Dany can go "well, perhaps I'll just burn the Red Keep to the ground" or Arya decides that enough and heads to KL.

Or, The Golden Company which has some past allegiance to the Targs, goes "uh, hmm" and maybe reconsiders.

Or, Dany calls the Seven Sons for more firepower.

Or, the Iron Bank, realizing that you cannot spend gold if you're dead, says, "reconsider".

And just like last time with Margeray and her fucking Tommon into obedience, she's done something desperate that ultimately works against her.
She sucks at this game.

Heshinsi

d7w6YOo.jpg

No take backs bro! You said it yourself, your word is your bond.

giphy.gif

Why does Aegon not have silver/white hair like the other Targaryens?

The Targaryens fucked each other. Blonde + blonde = blonde.

But dark hair is dominant.

Even then, did we really ever see anyone ruling Westeros? I guess the closest we got was Robert but he quickly died off and then everything after that was backstabbing, scheming, murder and war. Not much time for actual ruling.

Over in Essos, we did see Dany actually ruling a city and trying to hold it together but that also turned into war and whatnot.
Why would you? It's called Game of Thrones.

Just had a thought about Sandor Clegane's line about his brother always knowing who's coming for him. Did they both see that in the fire? It might explain why Gregor burnt his brother so badly.

"I carry airhorns with me wherever I go."

Holy shit, that's really tickled me and I'm trying to stifle tears and laughter sitting at my desk right now!

EDIT - "You best start believing in ghost stories, Ms. Lannister. You're in one!"

"If this is a consular ship where is the ambassador"

Jesus Christ, I can't breath

EDIT 2 - "and never lying" hahahaha

EDIT 3 - "I said you're like Snape, but gross. You're basically what would have happened if Harry was a girl and looked like Lily."

EDIT 4 - "This is a good subplot now!"

RiggyRob

"I carry airhorns with me wherever I go."

Holy shit, that's really tickled me and I'm trying to stifle tears and laughter sitting at my desk right now!

EDIT - "You best start believing in ghost stories, Ms. Lannister. You're in one!"

"If this is a consular ship where is the ambassador"

Jesus Christ, I can't breath

EDIT 2 - "and never lying" hahahaha

EDIT 3 - "I said you're like Snape, but gross. You're basically what would have happened if Harry was a girl and looked like Lily."

EDIT 4 - "This is a good subplot now!"

"Jon's about to fuck his aunt."

"And a hello to you too."

Sam's expression kills me.

Please tell me there's an album for this for all the seasons?

Wow, a whole season and not a single person was raped. The backlash really just stopped that shit completely.

There were at least a couple of times where it was almost strange there was no rape considering the universe of GOTs love of rape.

Also an interesting season in that it really shows you how important good pacing is. This season was rushed and it really suffers because of it.

Top Bottom