• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

aBarreras

So why are they trying to wrap it all up so quickly? You work hard for years on a show then try to end it quickly in the end?

Not that im not enjoying this last season but yeah, i find their logic hard to understand.

check this reply. filming Game of thrones is a martyrdom

That doesn't simplify things that much on a production like this. As one example, take the scene of Dany and her entourage arriving at Dragonstone from episode 1 this season. When they land on the beach, that's a location in Spain. When they approach the gate, that's a constructed set in Belfast. When they move past the gate on the big rock walkway up to the castle, that's a different location in Spain. The throne room is another set in Belfast, and the map room is a separate set.

That's two countries and three sets for one scene. Then there's a bunch of digital effects on top of that.

- Watchers: Game of Thrones Ratings: Season 7 Overview
ouOuv0F.jpg

Addi

Cool thanks.

My theory for next season:

Jamie will win the battle with the White Walkers, but will be injured. Arya finds him, and says she will find a Maester. Scene ends.

Later in the show we see Jamie leaving Winterfell saying he will try to talk some sense into Cersei.

Jamie at Kingslanding talking to Cersei. Arguing between the two back and forth. Jamie ends up choking, and killing Cersei. Jamie pulls his face off and we see it's Arya.

Flash back to when Arya says she will get a Maester. Jamie tells her no. He knows that he is dead already, and nothing can be done. In his dying words he tells Arya that they must stop Cersei anyway they can. Jamie dies and Arya takes his face.

I thought of something like that too, but Jaime could be dead, no need for flashbacks and him speaking to Arya, Cersei is on her list anyway. I do think it would have been better if Jaime killed her though, but I'm not even sure they would let him near the queen anymore.
Also, the news about Jon being the true heir will probably trigger some of the Starks to wanting to dethrone Cersei fast and maybe even create a conflict with Dany.

Surfinn

You know.. I've been rewatching GoT, and although I love the early seasons, I've gotta say, this season is definitely my favorite. It might not be as rock solid in it's overall quality (especially story and event wise), but S7 has my favorite character interactions by far. So many moments that are beautiful to rewatch. I've already seen this finale more than any other episode.

It just FEELS right. Like the heart and soul is alive and beating, even despite its flaws.

Hydrus

You know.. I've been rewatching GoT, and although I love the early seasons, I've gotta say, this season is definitely my favorite. It might not be as rock solid in it's overall quality (especially story and event wise), but S7 has my favorite character interactions by far. So many moments that are beautiful to rewatch. I've already seen this finale more than any other episode.

It just FEELS right. Like the heart and soul is alive and beating, even despite its flaws.

I'm in the same boat. It wasn't the best, but I enjoyed every episode. And yea, the interactions were some of the best in the series.

televator

I take it that Sam will be able to rally Tarly banner men to join the North. I like to think that Jaime could put aside his vows with persuasion from Brienne (and seeing how Jon left the wall) for the sake of the 7 kingdoms and become lord of house Lannister. Danny should let him lead the Lannister men she took from the loot train BBQ and maybe he can convince more Lannister remnants to join him.

This will further the plot line of conflict between him and Cersie. In a womanchild fit of rage Cersie will double down on sending the golden company + Euron fleet to raid the vacant kingdoms and agree to marry Euron for good. I still think she could also resort to contracting the faceless men to assassinate someone in the North.

So looks like there was a deleted scene between Bran and Sansa for the finale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...right-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

It's stuff like this that S7 needed. Dont understand why D&D decided not to add little scenes like this and make the season a bit longer.

This would have improved the Winterfell plot line substantially

Dunlop

I wonder if we'll get some infighting with the North next season if it gets out that Jon Snow is a Targaryen

I don't see how, there are even less episodes lol.

Still don't understand whey they needed to condense the last 2 episodes, the could have made 100 a season and still turned a profit with it's popularity

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
About the dragon chains with the whitewalkers: I don't even know why they bothered to have the dragon dragged to the surface with chains. By virtue of being killed beyond the wall, wouldn't it be reborn on its own as a wight anyway? Heck, it is a wight, isn't it? You know, like every other corpse north of the wall?

The only time the Night King is shown to raise someone by touching them was with the baby, and that's because the baby was alive and the NK was turning him into a whitewalker. The way whitewalkers are portrayed, that's how they're born, while wights are always dead corpses that rise automatically once enough time has passed.

tl;dr: Wouldn't the dragon eventually become a wight on its own and swim to the surface? Pretty sure the chains and the Night King's touch are useless, if not inconsistent with what we know.

televator

what is it? i cant check ign at work :(

It confirms Arya was testing Sansa (I think). Sansa then goes to Bran to get a handle on the situation. It appears he tells her he would not have let her kill Arya or vise versa in any case, and spills all the beans on Baelish. So he was actually being a whole heck of a lot more useful than what they aired on the episodes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
About the dragon chains with the whitewalkers: I don't even know why they bothered to have the dragon dragged to the surface with chains. By virtue of being killed beyond the wall, wouldn't it be reborn on its own as a wight anyway? Heck, it is a wight, isn't it? You know, like every other corpse north of the wall?

The only time the Night King is shown to raise someone by touching them was with the baby, and that's because the baby was alive and the NK was turning him into a whitewalker. The way whitewalkers are portrayed, that's how they're born, while wights are always dead corpses that rise automatically once enough time has passed.

tl;dr: Wouldn't the dragon eventually become a wight on its own and swim to the surface? Pretty sure the chains and the Night King's touch are useless, if not inconsistent with what we know.
Wights can't swim.

aBarreras

It confirms Arya was testing Sansa (I think). Sansa then goes to Bran to get a handle on the situation. It appears he tells her he would not have let her kill Arya or vise versa in any case, and spills all the beans on Baelish. So he was actually being a whole heck of a lot more useful than what they aired on the episodes.

that would be disastrous to sansa's character development, she would reduced to nothing again, so im glad they didnt added it.

The Hound is easily my favorite supporting character in the show. He's also had a pretty good arc over the series

Yeah, he's great. They've done a really good job turning some early villainous characters sympathetic and likeable as the show has gone on. Even Tyrion was a shitbag in the first season, and it was in the second season I think he started being the only one with any balls to call out Joffrey.

Jaime has turned out great as well. Brienne is such a force of awesome that she's turned one of the shows main villains into a character with one of the most interesting backstory and arc.

Gin-Shiio

I don't think the scene would change much in regards to Bran. It's clear he provided all the information even without it. It does, however, make it clear that the sisters were not working together from the start.

televator

that would be disastrous to sansa's character development, she would reduced to nothing again, so im glad they didnt added it.

It's implied that this is what she did anyway... She revealed things to Baelish that she didn't know before when she sentenced him. This would have just improved the flow of events and character portrayals/motivations along the way to the audience, instead of pulling a mcguffin at the last minute.

I don't think the scene would change much in regards to Bran. It's clear he provided all the information even without it. It does, however, make it clear that the sisters were not working together from the start.

It shows he was more on top of it and actually cared... It might have actually shown that there was still some humanity in him as well, but that's more speculation on my part.

I think the link also says Arya wasn't necessarily against Sansa, but Sansa didn't know that. Yet, it's true that they weren't initially collaborating.

jviggy43

So looks like there was a deleted scene between Bran and Sansa for the finale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...right-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

It's stuff like this that S7 needed. Dont understand why D&D decided not to add little scenes like this and make the season a bit longer.

No this was absolutely the correct choice. Also lol at all those people saying Sansa wasn't dumb but in reality, she actually really was and they just cut the scene out that proved she had no idea what she was doing and was originally getting played by LF....again.

It's implied that this is what she did anyway... She revealed things to Baelish that she didn't know before when she sentenced him. This would have just improved the flow of events and character portrayals/motivations along the way to the audience, instead of pulling a mcguffin at the last minute.

It shows he was more on top of it and actually cared... It might have actually shown that there was still some humanity in him as well, but that's more speculation on my part.

I think the link also says Arya wasn't necessarily against Sansa, but Sansa didn't know that. Yet, it's true that they weren't initially collaborating.
Making Arya and Sansa super stupid would not have helped their arcs. Further, making Sansa go to Brann for this rather than Brann helping makes Brann look like even more of a douche than he was last season. I can't believe people think this would have been a good thing.

aBarreras

No this was absolutely the correct choice. Also lol at all those people saying Sansa wasn't dumb but in reality, she actually really was and they just cut the scene out that proved she had no idea what she was doing and was originally getting played by LF....again.

thats why the cut it? because it went against the character development of sansa

thats why the cut it? because it went against the character development of sansa

Cut out the bits you need to know since you can't read it at work.

"There was a scene that we ended up getting rid of, I'm not sure why, where Sansa came to Bran's chambers and said 'I need your help,'" Hempstead-Wright told IGN. "The way I understand it, Bran didn't know what was going on."

"It was a battle between Sansa and Arya really, and it wasn't any of Bran's business until Sansa thought 'why don't I fact check this with the best fact checker in the universe' and Bran was like 'Littlefinger did this and this and this,'"

"Because Bran has a real idea of destinies, I think he was waiting for his sister to come to him to give her the knowledge," he said. "I don't think he would have let that happen and he wouldn't have sat there while Arya got killed by Sansa, because Bran would have known that wasn't the way things had to go. He would have known 'I need to be here to reveal what the truth is.'"

jviggy43

I mean I'm not sure if thats the exact reason, but Sansa is already the worst character on the show or close to. She didn't need another arc where she got played by little finger and wanted to kill her sister right up until Brann told her everything. Thats hilariously stupid.

televator

Making Arya and Sansa super stupid would not have helped their arcs. Further, making Sansa go to Brann for this rather than Brann helping makes Brann look like even more of a douche than he was last season. I can't believe people think this would have been a good thing.

It's not making them super stupid. Arya is doing her thing to see what Sansa is like and Sansa spoke with Bran no matter if the scene was left in or out anyway.

Ugh... whatever. It's no use debating a scene we can't watch and judge properly.

Yeah I do feel like season 7 could have been a full 10 episode season.

I don't see how, there are even less episodes lol.

Still don't understand whey they needed to condense the last 2 episodes, the could have made 100 a season and still turned a profit with it's popularity

D&D seem like they're basically over making GoT. I consider us lucky that we got 7+6 instead of one 10 episode season. Which I'm sure they wanted to but the clusterfuck of the story didn't make a 10 episode season possible.

jviggy43

It's not making them super stupid. Arya is doing her thing to see what Sansa is like and Sansa spoke with Bran no matter if the scene was left in or out anyway.

Ugh... whatever. It's no use debating a scene we can't watch and judge properly.

I mean the fact that Sansa had to go to Brann in the first place to confirm what was happening despite spending several season with LF and watching him scheme and plot is hella dumb on her part. Arya getting played by the most obvious con job where LF is standing around the shadows smriking is also a bit hilarious coming from someone who is supposed to be an assassin and have adept senses in the dark (She can kill and fight people in the dakr but not LF standing like two feet away from his door? Was it just not dark enough?). It would make both of those characters behave in ways that they should be above at this point in the show, yet clearly thats not how it was written.

The writing has just fallen off a cliff at this point.

aBarreras

I mean I'm not sure if thats the exact reason, but Sansa is already the worst character on the show or close to. She didn't need another arc where she got played by little finger and wanted to kill her sister right up until Brann told her everything. Thats hilariously stupid.

i would never understand this hate for sansa.

i blame sophie turner for looking older thatn her character age, remember that she was a childdddddddd a fucking kid, when the first season aired, how she acted was acording to her age.

thats the point how she evolved from stupid kid to this lady of winterfell we are seeing.

if you dont like that arc, well good for you, but calling her "the worst character" give me a fucking break

i know why Isaac, because that would have killed Sansa's character

I don't think so. Half us already thought Sansa was still getting played. This would have shown the audience that at some point she was wise enough to realize she has the resourced to find out the truth. Because throughout the season there is no reason to believe Sansa is in on it with Arya from the get go, there is absolutely nothing pointing to that. You can only assume, but even then it goes against her character.

I'm a slow learner, but I learn. Which is exactly what happened.

Sansa and Arya did not get along before they were separated. The lack of trust between them considering what happened was completely believable.

Elandyll

Banned
The thing is, with what happened and what she knew, Sansa shouldn't have needed confirmation from Bran that LF was pulling threads and setting her up against her sister (who visibly was testing her to see how far in she was with LF).

She got an info dump from Bran (and that is still obvious in the final version), but unless you choose to ignore it yes, Sansa is still that dense and thinking she is a great schemer.

Edit: the only question left really is whether Arya knew she was being set up by LF with the letter, and whether that even counts as a setup at all.
The letter was legit (written under duress, but Arya knew that), and Arya took the whole thing with a grin on her face while scaring Sansa half to death and even admitedly playing her little game of "lies and truths".

Gin-Shiio

Sansa is one of the standout characters of the show. Great character growth and now badass personality. Why not bash Jon Snow instead for being the same character for seven seasons straight? Oh wait, he has a nice ass. Everything is forgiven.

Sansa is one of the standout characters of the show. Great character growth and now badass personality. Why not bash Jon Snow instead for being the same character for seven seasons straight? Oh wait, he has a nice ass. Everything is forgiven.

Jon gets bashed all the time for being a complete idiot, because he is. He just has divine intervention and plot armor saving his ass.

He's done dumb things time and time again and the people in this thread constantly call him out on it.

Doesn't mean he isn't an awesome character, doesn't mean Sansa isn't either. But they're both idiot Starks and it shows. Robb was dumb, Theon was raised by Starks and is an idiot. Arya is truly the only smart one, and Bran thanks to the 3ER passing the torch. Then there's Rickon, who should have zig zagged.

televator

I mean the fact that Sansa had to go to Brann in the first place to confirm what was happening despite spending several season with LF and watching him scheme and plot is hella dumb on her part. Arya getting played by the most obvious con job where LF is standing around the shadows smriking is also a bit hilarious coming from someone who is supposed to be an assassin and have adept senses in the dark (She can kill and fight people in the dakr but not LF standing like two feet away from his door? Was it just not dark enough?). It would make both of those characters behave in ways that they should be above at this point in the show, yet clearly thats not how it was written.

The writing has just fallen off a cliff at this point.

This scene doesn't portray Sansa getting played by LF. She just did the smart thing by playing it calm and going to Brann.... WHICH SHE DID ANYWAY. She learned more things abou LF she couldn't have known. Only Bran knew which was intially implied by the "Chaos is a ladder" moment with Bran and LF.

It also doesn't confirm that Arya was totally in following LF's bread crumbs. We can't know for sure until we can watch it.

Sephzilla

Jon got bashed a lot for making dumb character decisions. Season 6 is probably the one season where Jon didn't do something that provoked head scratches. Sansa was probably the dumbest character for most of this season.

aBarreras

Jon gets bashed all the time for being a complete idiot, because he is. He just has divine intervention and plot armor saving his ass.

He's done dumb things time and time again and the people in this thread constantly call him out on it.

Doesn't mean he isn't an awesome character, doesn't mean Sansa isn't either. But they're both idiot Starks and it shows. Robb was dumb, Theon was raised by Starks and is an idiot. Arya is truly the only smart one, and Bran thanks to the 3ER passing the torch. Then there's Rickon, who should have zig zagged.

she is so smart that she got played by both LF and Sansa...

Jon got bashed a lot for making dumb character decisions. Season 6 is probably the one season where Jon didn't do something that provoked head scratches. Sansa was probably the dumbest character for most of this season.

the dumbest character this season was Tyrion

jviggy43

The thing is, with what happened and what she knew, Sansa shouldn't have needed confirmation from Bran that LF was pulling threads and setting her up against her sister (who visibly was testing her to see how far in she was with LF).

She got an info dump from Bran (and that is still obvious in the final version), but unless you choose to ignore it yes, Sansa is still that dense and thinking she is a great schemer.

Edit: the only question left really is whether Arya knew she was being set up by LF with the letter, and whether that even counts as a setup at all.
The letter was legit (written under duress, but Arya knew that), and Arya took the whole thing with a grin on her face while scaring Sansa half to death and even admitedly playing her little game of "lies and truths".

This. Sansa is literally used as a device for conflict with characters at this point in the show. Thats not great character development to me especially considering when the show started she already created petty fights with people over small issues. Now those issues aren't so petty yet she remains incredibly so.

Maybe LF, but not by sansa. That article even confirms that Sansa wasn't scheming against LF. Why are we pretending this was an elaborate set up by her. It wasn't. She was being dumb.

aBarreras

This. Sansa is literally used as a device for conflict with characters at this point in the show. Thats not great character development to me especially considering when the show started she already created petty fights with people over small issues. Now those issues aren't so petty yet she remains incredibly so.

Maybe LF, but not by sansa. That article even confirms that Sansa wasn't scheming against LF. Why are we pretending this was an elaborate set up by her. It wasn't. She was being dumb.

the article confirms that the producers didnt want that, that;'s why the cut it

Fine, Arya is the only one who hasn't made several dumb choices over and over again. And Sansa did not play her, dunno what article you're reading but I'm assuming it's the one I pasted for you and nowhere in that bit does it even hint at that.

jviggy43

I understand but it was still written that way. Like I'm happy thats not the direction they took it, but we shouldn't be acting that the writers made her above this situation and actively planned against LF. Thats not what happened. As mentioned, even going to Brann was hilarious because she knew most of these charges she brought against him. She shouldn't have needed to go to him.

I understand but it was still written that way. Like I'm happy thats not the direction they took it, but we shouldn't be acting that the writers made her above this situation and actively planned against LF. Thats not what happened. As mentioned, even going to Brann was hilarious because she knew most of these charges she brought against him. She shouldn't have needed to go to him.

You know what I'd like to know, perhaps the laws in Westeros are different.

But why wasn't Sansa at the very least accused of being a co-conspirator to Lysa's death because she seen it happen and lied to the Jury about it, Ser Royce was one of those people she lied to, and he was among the peers during LF's trial last episode.

Are they just letting it slide? or are the writers just like, fuck it...

Elandyll

Banned
If you even remotely pay attention, cutting the scene achieved nothing except reducing screen time and avoiding to emphasize too much how dense Sansa is.

She literally accuses LF of things she couldn't possibly have known without consulting with Bran, making that angle (Sansa played LF and is smart) moot.

You know what I'd like to know, perhaps the laws in Westeros are different.

But why wasn't Sansa at the very least accused of being a co-conspirator to Lysa's death because she seen it happen and lied to the Jury about it, Ser Royce was one of those people she lied to, and he was among the peers during LF's trial last episode.

Are they just letting it slide? or are the writers just like, fuck it...

Aye. That is one thing that bothered me, that LF didn't use.

He should have said "But surely my Lady, if what you said was true, and you would have witnessed it, why would you have said nothing for months, while being a guest of the Vale?
You would thus be guilty of hiding a murder and to withhold evidence of another.

Surely you want to think about what you are saying?"

Sephzilla

the dumbest character this season was Tyrion

Tyrion's decisions had some sense to them, even if they didn't work out. Sansa in the first half of the season was publicly challenging Jon's decisions and trying to make even more enemies while Jon was trying to unite. I do agree that Tyrion is pretty high up on the dumb character list for the season though.

It also doesn't confirm that Arya was totally in following LF's bread crumbs. We can't know for sure until we can watch it.

Even as an advocate for "Arya was onto Littlefinger," at best this new information just implies that Bran wouldn't have told Sansa that Arya was seriously threatening her, and that he instead would have said that Baelish is trying to get Sansa to turn on Arya.

If you even remotely pay attention, cutting the scene achieved nothing except reducing screen time and avoiding to emphasize too much how dense Sansa is.

tbh, I think the scene was cut to preserve the shock value of Sansa turning on Littlefinger in his execution scene, in which case it achieved something.

Blader

That Dragonpit scene was really something else, if only because of all these characters who have been apart from each other for 7 real years are now all together in the same place. It was kinda weird seeing them all occupy the same space for the first time.

D&D seem like they're basically over making GoT. I consider us lucky that we got 7+6 instead of one 10 episode season. Which I'm sure they wanted to but the clusterfuck of the story didn't make a 10 episode season possible.

But if D&D are really so over GoT and don't give a shit anyway, then why would it matter if they just shoved it all into a 10-episode clusterfuck season?!

Alternate theory: they genuinely believe they only have 13 (long) episodes of worth of story left to tell, and don't consider travel times to be anything but hindrances to that storytelling. Just because you're not liking something doesn't mean the writers aren't liking it too.

aBarreras

She literally accuses LF of things she couldn't possibly have known without consulting with Bran, making that angle (Sansa played LF and is smart) moot.

who to believe.. mmmmmmmmm

also fuck that shit, she corroborating facts with bran makes her dumb?

i mean, instead of seeing as, she is putting all the pieces at places so Littlefinger can sneak his way out. noooooooo, she is asking bran because she dumb.

Sephzilla

Most of the stuff Sansa accuses Littlefinger of from the early seasons of the show absolutely required Bran. Knowing the identity of the true owner of the dagger required Bran as well because that was an unresolved loose thread from way back in season 1.

Top Bottom