• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

DoomGyver

Seven episodes was not enough, I agree that Season 7 suffered from the fast pace and lack of episodes. Why is HBO in such a hurry to end the series?

Jon is also a secret Baratheon

But Lyanna Stark never married Robert Baratheon? So how would he be a Baratheon?

Why would I what?

He means why would you expect anything else? The whole premise is pieces being moved around a chessboard vying for power.

Isn't it very dangerous for Jamie to be riding north? Don't the Northeners still want him dead?

I mean, technically there's a truce now between Jon's Northern people & Cersei's armies; at least until Jaime informs them she has betrayed them.

nVNee5E.gif

Addi

So looks like there was a deleted scene between Bran and Sansa for the finale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...right-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

It's stuff like this that S7 needed. Dont understand why D&D decided not to add little scenes like this and make the season a bit longer.

Eh, I think it's good they cut it. If that scene was there it would make Sansa dumber than she already is. She would have been played by Littlefinger and needed cheat codes to figure it out. Better to think Arya and Sansa worked it out and only asked Bran for evidence.

Volgarth

Seven episodes was not enough, I agree that Season 7 suffered from the fast pace and lack of episodes. Why is HBO in such a hurry to end the series?

This is what David Benioff said at the end of season 6. Take it for what you will.

"The thing that has excited us from the beginning, back to the way we pitched to HBO is, it's not supposed to be an ongoing show, where every season it's trying to figure out new story lines. We wanted it to be one giant story, without padding it out to add an extra 10 hours, or because people are still watching it. We wanted something where, if people watched it end to end, it would make sense as one continuous story. We're definitely heading into the end game now."

"It's two more seasons we're talking about. From pretty close to the beginning, we talked about doing this in 70 - 75 hours, and that's what we'll end up with. Call it 73 for now... We're trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end. As Dan said, we've known the end for quite some time and we're hurtling towards it. Those last images from the show that aired last night showed that Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros; Jon Snow is king of the North and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them."

komplanen

Call it 73 for now... We're trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end."

I'm sure this is what we'll get but comparing the earliet seasons to season 7 really makes it seem like they are not on the top of their game.

Best season, but I can't like this pace.

magawolaz

Burlington Bar's reactions to the Cersei/Jaime/Mountain scene are amazing.
Definitely my favorite scene of the episode.
I would pay to see an alternate scene where the Mountain cuts both Tyrion and Jaime open in half. Crazy Cersei is best Cersey.

So, the books are way behind the series, there are no episodes to be leaked, and no S8 script has leaked yet... may I assume it's safe to click on every spoiler that appears on this thread?

Burlington Bar's reactions to the Cersei/Jaime/Mountain scene are amazing.
Definitely my favorite scene of the episode.
I would pay to see an alternate scene where the Mountain cuts both Tyrion and Jaime open in half. Crazy Cersei is best Cersey.

It was a great scene until the clear and crappy fakeout.

Volimar

So, the books are way behind the series, there are no episodes to be leaked, and no S8 script has leaked yet... may I assume it's safe to click on every spoiler that appears on this thread?

There are still things in the books that might yet happen in the show and things that happened in the show that the book does differently that might come back around in the show, so...

Besides even with spoiler tags there's to be no book discussion here.

Harmen

Just saw it, good episode! I was a bit worried after last week, because that episode to me was a mess. But this episode used all those events for exciting interactions and had each character fill a role that suited them. And I think they handled the whole "show a wight to Cersei to convince her" plan really well, it was convincing this way.

Overall I consider it a good season. Perhaps the weakest of the show due to some rushed elements and the 6th episode, but still a blast overall. Guess I'll try that Telltale GoT game during the wait (I have it due to PS+).

Also, I thought Wights would be able to swim if they wanted? How did they get the chains around/attached to that dragon (Viserion) to pull it out of the lake?

Go underwater and then climb the chain back to the surface?

You could just put really heavy boots on a couple of wights and they could walk along the bottom of the lake to the dragon, then walk back out.

It's too bad the Night King's more into the whole slow-roll intimidation army plan, he could have a lot of fun walking zombie armies out of the sea as Westeros's first amphibious assault units.

KHlover

Banned
You could just put really heavy boots on a couple of wights and they could walk along the bottom of the lake to the dragon, then walk back out.

It's too bad the Night King's more into the whole slow-roll intimidation army plan, he could have a lot of fun walking zombie armies out of the sea as Westeros's first amphibious assault units.
NK could also conquer Westeros all by himself if he just nukes villages and castles with his shiny new dragon and raises the dead. The only places he can't safely attack are Kings Landing and Storm's End, everything else is fair game (including Winterfell).

Recreat3

Oh, yes, offcourse, I did not consider them being able to function underwater in general.

I didnt think of that either. They dont have to breathe to still be "alive" i guess. Still bega the question as to where they got the chains from.

I think it should have just show the night king rise his hands (like in hardhome) and the dragon rise up through the ice. Would that have worked?

So why are they trying to wrap it all up so quickly? You work hard for years on a show then try to end it quickly in the end?

Not that im not enjoying this last season but yeah, i find their logic hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand at all. They're adapting someone's work and will take roughly 12 years to do it since they started. They're burned out and want to work on their own, new IPs instead.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
To see someone successfully running a kingdom. The show is about a power struggle and internal conflict that comes with people vying for the throne.

He means why would you expect anything else? The whole premise is pieces being moved around a chessboard vying for.
I replied to a person saying it as sad we didn't get to see cercei rule and I said the show never really has shown that to begin with. I never said the show was about ruling.

It's not hard to understand at all. They're adapting someone's work and will take roughly 12 years to do it since they started. They're burned out and want to work on their own, new IPs instead.

Then if they weren't gonna do the end justice, they shouldnt have started it in the first place. They knew this story would take a long time to tell right?

I just don't understand their mentality of we want to work on other things so kinda screw this one thing we have been building towards for six years.

I think it should have just show the night king rise his hands (like in hardhome) and the dragon rise up through the ice. Would that have worked?

The director really wanted to do a slow build-up to the opening of the dragon's now-blue eyes. That's sort of the double-edged sword of the director of that episode in general: he comes up with these fantastic, iconic shots with spectacular composition, but he kind of, eh... "cheats" a little bit to arrange everything how he needs to make them happen, sometimes.

Then if they weren't gonna do the end justice, they shouldnt have started it in the first place. They knew this story would take a long time to tell right?

I just don't understand their mentality of we want to work on other things so kinda screw this one thing we have been building towards for six years.
I mean that's a fair complaint, but I think even 8 episodes would have been enough. They just needed to execute a few things a bit better.
The director really wanted to do a slow build-up to the opening of the dragon's now-blue eyes. That's sort of the double-edged sword of the director of that episode in general: he comes up with these fantastic, iconic shots with spectacular composition, but he kind of, eh... "cheats" a little bit to arrange everything how he needs to make them happen, sometimes.

Yeah, that is definitely true. He has no business directing action based episodes from now on. It would have been better if they didn't include Kaiba's blue eyes wight dragon at the end of ep 6 and just showed him in ep 7 as the surprise

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So why are they trying to wrap it all up so quickly? You work hard for years on a show then try to end it quickly in the end?

Not that im not enjoying this last season but yeah, i find their logic hard to understand.
how is taking their time to write out 13 episodes instead of 10 wrapping it up quickly?

they are doing what Breaking Bad and Mad Men writers did and bought themselves an extra year to finish the story. they could've easily done another 10 episodes and dragged this out like they did season 3,4 and 5.

I am not a fan of how everyone is fast traveling everywhere, but these last two seasons are based on one book, the final book. it's time to get a move on. hopefully they hire better writers than they did last year though. they can no longer rely on source material seeing as how book 7 probably doesnt even have a manuscript, so they need to go get writers from Mad Men and Breaking Bad to write some good cohesive plots. Sending Ravens 2000 miles is not good writing.

And no, this isnt about them wanting to move on and do Confederate. They are stuck doing this for another year anyway. If anything this next season is going to take even longer to shoot. If anything, they settled on 6 episodes to make sure they used up the budget to shoot big battles over the course of 6 episodes instead of 10 episodes with fewer and less expensive battles. the show has a massive cast and quite a few actors make over $200k per episode. a full season would add tens of millions in salary alone.

HBO is not going to double or triple the budget either. last i heard season 5 cost them $70 million. they probably have a $100 million to shoot a 6 hour epic with lots of war scenes and CGi for white walkers, dragons and big armies. The Mummy was 2 hours long and cost $195 million to make. These guys probably have a little over $100 million to make a 360 minute ending.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
I didnt think of that either. They dont have to breathe to still be "alive" i guess. Still bega the question as to where they got the chains from.

I assume Dragons are beyond his limits to be revived without physical contact. But that's just a guess, nothing I can prove it with from the past episodes.

Hydrus

They wanted to end this show this season. It's so damn popular that that fucking network had to actually negotiate with them to extend it a little longer. They could've finished this series off this season with 10 episodes at like 80 minutes each. Stuff like going north of the wall to capture a wight, the whole sansa/ LF/ araya/ stuff that dragged on could've been left out or sped up. It's kind of hard to be mad at them when this wasnt their original plan.

So looks like there was a deleted scene between Bran and Sansa for the finale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...right-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

It's stuff like this that S7 needed. Dont understand why D&D decided not to add little scenes like this and make the season a bit longer.

Makes you wonder how many more little scenes got deleted. Even if not for an extension of length, it sounds like a great little bit of interaction and detail.

-Sansa wasn't sure about LF, needed to fact check so she approached Bran
-Bran wasn't getting involved otherwise but wouldn't have let Sansa kill Arya

So they removed it to keep some mystery behind it. Which is dumb.

This bit tells you who was behind the con, and it was Arya and at some point Sansa caught on and went to Bran for help. Why wouldn't they leave this in!!!

Are we allowed to post Theories? I have one for the final episode of next season, but was afraid to post it.

Yup...From the OP.

Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

What isn't allowed is book talk, book comparison, leak talk, preview discussions of stuff that hasn't aired which obviously doesn't apply right now and that's about it. Rest is okay to talk about without spoiler tags.

A couple of the more prominent TV podcasts take a crack at the GoT finale and S7 as a whole:

- The Watch: Dissecting the 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale With Jason Concepcion and Mallory Rubin
The Ringer’s Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald provide their instant takes on the finale and overall season of 'Game of Thrones' (0:30). Later 'Binge Mode' cohosts Jason Concepcion and Mallory Rubin join Chris to further dissect and examine what worked and what did not in 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 (18:30) and what we can expect from the forthcoming 'Game of Thrones' spinoffs (45:00).
- TV Avalanche Podcast, Episode 30: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Finale And Under The Radar Shows (With Maureen Ryan) (1:04:05 mark)
Alan is still on vacation, so I (Brian Grubb) am very pleased to be joined this week by Maureen Ryan, the Chief TV Critic at Variety, for an in-depth discussion about, well, a lot of things. The biggie this episode, obviously, is the season seven finale of Game of Thrones, which we spend the majority of the episode digging into. But first, we highlight some shows that are a little under-the-radar, and answer some reader mail.
- EW's Game of Thrones Weekly
We break down the season 7 finale: Jon and Dany chart a course toward incest, Sansa and Arya team up on Littlefinger, Theon breaks our hearts, and James reveals what it was like on the set of that Dragonpit summit.
- Clash of Kings on Slashfilm
Joanna and David discuss the Game of Thrones Season 7 finale, "The Dragon and the Wolf." A quasi-weekly discussion of the plots, themes and highlights of the HBO series "Game of Thrones." Your hosts Dave Chen (The /Filmcast and The Tobolowsky Files) and Joanna Robinson (contributor for VanityFair.com) will dish up both praise and criticism.

Volgarth

Yup...From the OP.

What isn't allowed is book talk, book comparison, leak talk, preview discussions of stuff that hasn't aired which obviously doesn't apply right now and that's about it. Rest is okay to talk about without spoiler tags.

Cool thanks.

My theory for next season:

Jamie will win the battle with the White Walkers, but will be injured. Arya finds him, and says she will find a Maester. Scene ends.

Later in the show we see Jamie leaving Winterfell saying he will try to talk some sense into Cersei.

Jamie at Kingslanding talking to Cersei. Arguing between the two back and forth. Jamie ends up choking, and killing Cersei. Jamie pulls his face off and we see it's Arya.

Flash back to when Arya says she will get a Maester. Jamie tells her no. He knows that he is dead already, and nothing can be done. In his dying words he tells Arya that they must stop Cersei anyway they can. Jamie dies and Arya takes his face.

Top Bottom