• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Gleethor

You can post all you want your 'predictions' guys, but I'm not making the mistake of reading any of them again. :p Just on the off chance that you voluntarily or involuntarily hiding spoilers as your personal predictions lol.
We don't have any season 8 spoilers in the wild at the moment, so this is a pretty safe time to be reading predictions.

Er, yes it does. Sansa is being held prisoner be the Lannisters. Tyrion was Hand of the King in charge of the Lannisters in the city, and later the finance minister. In the former capacity, it was his ultimate responsibility to prevent her from escaping.

Because she didn't trust this creepy guy just offering to take her home out of nowhere.

Where is this coming from? He never implied or gave any idea that he was preventing her from doing anything? All he ever did was protect her when shit went south with Joffrey. No it wasn't his responsibility at all. By this lovely logic, I should blame my Prime Minister for literally every issues in my city, or mayor because everything revolves to their responsibility. Why? Because reasons.

Tyrion never had her captive nor was it his duty or responsibility to help her.. just like it wasn't his responsibility to help any other random person. His duty was taking care of politics in the city and trying to contain Joffrey as semi-sane which for the most part, he did.

So (presumably) show-only watchers. How do you feel about having separate threads for the final season?
Book watchers have one topic to cry like petulant children over, lets keep it that way until the series is done.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So (presumably) show-only watchers. How do you feel about having separate threads for the final season?

Vashetti

Banned

8ac3ff2469ea129274193c3f3f279e4e--game-of-robert-richard.jpg

One thread.

We don't like yer kind 'round here...

Just kidding, I think it's best to keep them separate...This thread moves SOOOO fast after an episode airs that merging the two would just be too much I think.

As you can see, if this were a full season we'd be on OT3 right now. Final season will definitely see even more people in both threads.

Separate. It's tiresome enough with people trying to sneak in book info, and the few that do it accidentally.

That said it all goes up in flames when this gets spoiled months before airing and people start trying to be clever with predictions again.

GreyWind

Hey guys I'm doing a design project with a friend I was wondering what is the most important feature to you when using any of the HBOs app and what do you think the app needs to be better?

Thanks!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"I don't believe you" is one of the best character moments ever

I hope they tie up Cersei and Jaime in a way that rings true for both of them.

Why didn't the Mountain kill Jaime? Did Cersie enable some 2-step authentication process with the Mountain in case she ever gave the nod to kill Jaime? It was so bizarre lol. First nod activates sword draw, a second firm nod gives consent to kill. The Mountain was still waiting like, "please input the security code we just texted you."

I was confused about that line, did he mean "I don't believe that you would give the order," or "omg, I don't believe you're actually going to kill me over this petty bullshit, that's it, i'm out"

Heshinsi

I was confused about that line, did he mean "I don't believe that you would give the order," or "omg, I don't believe you're actually going to kill me over this petty bullshit, that's it, i'm out"

He already said he was out, to which she replied that what he planned to do was treason. He said he didn't care what she thought and turned to walk away, and that's when the Mountain stepped in front of him. The line "I don't believe you," is Jaime calling her bluff that she would actually have him killed. Also remember that he says it after he asks her if she would have the Mountain cut him in half, and after she nods and the Mountain draws his sword.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
8ac3ff2469ea129274193c3f3f279e4e--game-of-robert-richard.jpg

One thread.
I love the pic/comparison.
We don't like yer kind 'round here...

Just kidding, I think it's best to keep them separate...This thread moves SOOOO fast after an episode airs that merging the two would just be too much I think.

As you can see, if this were a full season we'd be on OT3 right now. Final season will definitely see even more people in both threads.
I agree and based on the Vox thread...it's just best for everyone.
Separate. It's tiresome enough with people trying to sneak in book info, and the few that do it accidentally.

That said it all goes up in flames when this gets spoiled months before airing and people start trying to be clever with predictions again.
I heard people were predicting the entire episode and that's so obviously not possible.
No irrelevant book trash in the superior show thread please
Oh you!

Gin-Shiio

"I don't believe you'd lie to your allies and be so ignorant of the threat of undead marching towards us" is how I took it, personally.

Sean C

Where is this coming from? He never implied or gave any idea that he was preventing her from doing anything? All he ever did was protect her when shit went south with Joffrey. No it wasn't his responsibility at all. By this lovely logic, I should blame my Prime Minister for literally every issues in my city, or mayor because everything revolves to their responsibility. Why? Because reasons.

Tyrion never had her captive nor was it his duty or responsibility to help her.. just like it wasn't his responsibility to help any other random person. His duty was taking care of politics in the city and trying to contain Joffrey as semi-sane which for the most part, he did.
If you are being held by the federal government as a high-value prisoner, then yes, it does come down to your prime minister.

Sansa was a prisoner of the Lannisters. Tyrion, as the head Lannister in charge of KL, was responsible for keeping her prisoner (note that, in S2E1, he points out that Cersei was supposed to capture both Sansa and Arya, and with Arya missing, Tywin will be angry with her).

Thought experiment: Varys brings Tyrion word that Sansa is planning to escape. Does he:

(a) do nothing and let her leave.
(b) stop her from leaving because she's a Lannister prisoner.

Hint: the correct answer is (b).

He already said he was out, to which she replied that what he planned to do was treason. He said he didn't care what she thought and turned to walk away, and that's when the Mountain stepped in front of him. The line "I don't believe you," is Jaime calling her bluff that she would actually have him killed. Also remember that he says it after he asks her if she would have the Mountain cut him in half, and after she nods and the Mountain draws his sword.
I didn't understand that either, she nods, the mountain gets ready, but then lets him walk by?!
I don't believe you'd kill me is what I thought.
most likely case.
"I don't believe you'd lie to your allies and be so ignorant of the threat of undead marching towards us" is how I took it, personally.
so you think Jaime thinks Cersei lied about the whole Euron to Essos manipulation thing?

Sean C

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on what Tyrion does in that situation.
He quite literally spells out for Joffrey that they need her as leverage against the Starks having Jaime in S2E6. And for other political interests besides, as she's a valuable political asset.

Tyrion is not on Sansa's side. He's her most polite captor, the one who doesn't want to make her captivity gratuitously cruel; but it's still cruel, inherently, and there's nothing he can do about that while continuing to hold her prisoner.

Volimar

He quite literally spells out for Joffrey that they need her as leverage against the Starks having Jaime in S2E6. And for other political interests besides, as she's a valuable political asset.

Tyrion is not on Sansa's side. He's her most polite captor, the one who doesn't want to make her captivity gratuitously cruel; but it's still cruel, inherently, and there's nothing he can do about that while continuing to hold her prisoner.

He says that so that Joffrey doesn't do something stupid like kill her in a fit of impotent rage. He's basically saying we need her alive.

Sean C

He says that so that Joffrey doesn't do something stupid like kill her in a fit of impotent rage. He's basically saying we need her alive.
Yes, they do need her alive. That's the point. If she wanders off, they don't have any leverage in respect to Jaime either. So Tyrion would keep her in King's Landing, because that's part of his job.

Goodstyle

As much as I love Cersei and Jaime, I feel like Cersei and Tyrion is the true best pairing on the show. The actors have said that both these characters know each other better than any other person in the world. Through all of Cersei's layers of delusion and paranoia, deep down she knows who Tyrion is, and vice versa.

I know Cersei and Jaime are twins and all, but if Cersei's arc ends with anyone, it should be with Tyrion.

Volimar

Yes, they do need her alive. That's the point. If she wanders off, they don't have any leverage in respect to Jaime either. So Tyrion would keep her in King's Landing, because that's part of his job.

No the point is that Tyrion wants her to survive her time at KL. If they can get Jaime back by freeing her all the better, but her value as a prisoner isn't the same as Jaime's value as several characters state. He overstates her value to Joffrey to convince him not to be stupid. I feel like reducing her value to Tyrion as nothing but a bargaining chip does him a disservice as he is shown caring about her and other innocent people on more than one occasion.

Man, this season's soundtrack did not have many new themes, but the one that is truly new (Truth) is just magnificent. It is the theme about Jon's lineage and his relationship with Dany. The Army of the Dead is also brill!

RDreamer

Wife and I are thinking of re-watching an episode a week. At one per week that gets us finishing a complete rewatch (most likely) pretty close to when they'll air the finale. Might wait a little bit to start, but that could be really rad. Everything would be more fresh in our minds and we'd be hyped for the last season.

I've watched the first season like 3 or 4 times now, but I don't mind seeing it again. I really want to re-watch some of the seasons I wasn't as hot on and see if they're a bit better on re-watch.

Might be kinda cool to do a thread with anyone else that wanted to do and discuss 1 ep a week until the next season. *shrug*

Heshinsi

"I don't believe you'd lie to our allies..."

Bro, you're seriously getting the scenes out of order lol. They already got through talking about the betrayal, Jaime already declared he would ride North, the Mountain stepped in front of him, Jaime asked if she would give the order to kill him, Cersie nods, the mountain draws, and then Jaime says "I don't believe you" and walks past the Mountain. How are you still confused what he meant by that line? He doesn't believe she would have him killed.

I don't understand.

Explain your thought process.
The way I interpreted is Gin meant Jaime didn't believe Cersei when she said she lied about helping the northerners.
It's best I clarify, I think. The allies would be Jon and Dany who she has sworn a truce to. She lied about the truce. Jamie still would think of them as allies regardless, wanting to uphold his oath.
Right, so if I'm understanding correctly, you think Jaime was calling her bluff?

Sean C

No the point is that Tyrion wants her to survive her time at KL. If they can get Jaime back by freeing her all the better, but her value as a prisoner isn't the same as Jaime's value as several characters state. He overstates her value to Joffrey to convince him not to be stupid. I feel like reducing her value to Tyrion as nothing but a bargaining chip does him a disservice as he is shown caring about her and other innocent people on more than one occasion.
She's not as valuable as Jaime, no, but the fact that the Lannisters have her is their main leverage against anything bad happening to him.

I didn't say he didn't have sympathy for her. He is also holding her hostage, and would not let her leave. That's what makes it a complicated situation.

Surfinn

As much as I love Cersei and Jaime, I feel like Cersei and Tyrion is the true best pairing on the show. The actors have said that both these characters know each other better than any other person in the world. Through all of Cersei's layers of delusion and paranoia, deep down she knows who Tyrion is, and vice versa.

I know Cersei and Jaime are twins and all, but if Cersei's arc ends with anyone, it should be with Tyrion.

I agree. Tyrion and Jaime are fantastic together. But Jamie/Cercei still share my favorite moment. That entire scene/build up was just brilliantly executed.

Why didn't the Mountain kill Jaime? Did Cersie enable some 2-step authentication process with the Mountain in case she ever gave the nod to kill Jaime? It was so bizarre lol. First nod activates sword draw, a second firm nod gives consent to kill. The Mountain was still waiting like, "please input the security code we just texted you."

Eh. I read that as "get ready". She didn't give any verbal command at all. The Mountain wanted to be ABSOLUTELY SURE before he followed any order. He's not about to hack up Jamie Lannister, the queen's brother and lover, off of a damn head nod.

It was a LITTLE weird, but not a big deal at all. Clearly they did it as a semi-fakeout. But it was worth it and did elevate the scene.

The entire point of that line was that he knew Cercei still loves him and would never kill him, even as he walked away from her. Basically he called her bluff and he was absolutely right. And the look on her face as he walks away.. sells the climax. She was fucking PISSED, but she loves him and couldn't bring herself to murder her brother and lover.

He's probably the only person in the world that could have gotten away with that, aside from Tyrion. But Jamie's got even more leeway with her because they're in love. Or were.

Gin-Shiio

The way I interpreted is Gin meant Jaime didn't believe Cersei when she said she lied about helping the northerners.
Right, so if I'm understanding correctly, you think Jaime was calling her bluff?

No, I don't think we're seeing eye to eye. This misunderstanding seems to boil down to your understanding of the line "I don't believe you". It didn't mean that literally, but rather "I am disappointed in what I am hearing from you right now". He was instructing other generals on how to travel to the North and taken aback when Cersei lectured him on being stupid for believing what she said to Dany and Jon. He also was shocked to see his sister not take the threat of the undead seriously at all.

I don't believe, however, that he ever thought she would have the Mountain kill him. He even says "I didn't think so" after she fails to iirc.

Tonky

Read a really good theory on that concerned look Tyrion gave at the end. He was supposed to have a meeting with Dany over something, that's why when she opens the door she opens it like she's expecting someone and is looking down. She's surprised to see Jon because she thought it was Tyrion at the door. Tyrion might think that she's letting her feelings for Jon get in the way of more important things, like their meeting.

Right, so how does that relate to Euron and Essos?
Because Cersei lied about aiding Jon and instead is plotting against him by sending Euron to Essos...
Bro, you're seriously getting the scenes out of order lol. They already got through talking about the betrayal, Jaime already declared he would ride North, the Mountain stepped in front of him, Jaime asked if she would give the order to kill him, Cersie nods, the mountain draws, and then Jaime says "I don't believe you" and walks past the Mountain. How are you still confused what he meant by that line? He doesn't believe she would have him killed.
The bolded is the only part that was muddy for me.
The entire point of that line was that he knew Cercei still loves him and would never kill him, even as he walked away from her. Basically he called her bluff and he was absolutely right. And the look on her face as he walks away.. sells the climax. She was fucking PISSED, but she loves him and couldn't bring herself to murder her brother and lover.

He's probably the only person in the world that could have gotten away with that, aside from Tyrion. But Jamie's got even more leeway with her because they're in love. Or were.
That's another thing, I was really surprised to see Cersei did not have it in her to kill Tyrion. Why did she spare him? The only thing I could think of is the thought going through her head "this is too easy..." and she plans to give him a much more painful death in the future or something
No, I don't think we're seeing eye to eye. This misunderstanding seems to boil down to your understanding of the line "I don't believe you". It didn't mean that literally, but rather "I am disappointed in what I am hearing from you right now". He was instructing other generals on how to travel to the North and taken aback when Cersei lectured him on being stupid for believing what she said to Dany and Jon. He also was shocked to see his sister not take the threat of the undead seriously at all.

I don't believe, however, that he ever thought she would have the Mountain kill him. He even says "I didn't think so" after she fails to iirc.
I think...I got it now. I misunderstood from your first response

qcf x2

Read a really good theory on that concerned look Tyrion gave at the end. He was supposed to have a meeting with Dany over something, that's why when she opens the door she opens it like she's expecting someone and is looking down. She's surprised to see Jon because she thought it was Tyrion at the door. Tyrion might think that she's letting her feelings for Jon get in the way of more important things, like their meeting.

You sweet, summer child. There was no meeting, Tyrion doesn't look extremely and uncharacteristically shaken because of a meeting that's postponed for two minutes out of a days (weeks?) long boat trip.

Heshinsi

Because Cersei lied about aiding Jon and instead is plotting against him by sending Euron to Essos...

The bolded is the only part that was muddy for me.
That's another thing, I was really surprised to see Cersei did not have it in her to kill Tyrion. Why did she spare him? The only thing I could think of is the thought going through her head "this is too easy..." and she plans to give him a much more painful death in the future or somethingI think...I got it now. I misunderstood from your first response

Cersei not killing Tyrion makes sense if you follow her logic of protecting what's most important to her (the baby). You can see how she so wanted to kill him (she visibly scowls when she has the Mountain back down), but doing so would almost assuredly result in her ass being wiped the fuck off of the face of the earth. If she kills him, the only play she has is to quickly kill or imprison everyone at the Dragons Pit. Dany dies in the process and Drogon would probably turn KL to ash. Dany somehow survived, and she'll probably turn the Red Keep to ash. Either way, Cersei dies.

Gin-Shiio

So with my show favorite now dead, I have been thinking about positive ways to remember Littlefinger. I have been very disappointed by his lack of ambition over the past season or two, but now I think the show undersold them by reducing his screentime dramatically.

Littlefinger took over the Vale and was grooming Sansa to become the heir of Winterfell. Had he succeeded, he would have proposed so that he indirectly would rule over the entire North. After that, I wonder how he would have attempted dealing with Dany and Cersei to eventually claim the Iron Throne. Shame we will never know!

Top Bottom