• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm curious about a few things.

-Is the next book expected to cover the entirety of this season and next season?

-I've heard there are two more books and two seasons of the show remaining. Is that true?

-Do you think it's realistic to expect Danerys to siege Kings Landing and for the White Walkers to cross the wall by the end of the next season?

Bigfoot

I'm curious about a few things.

-Is the next book expected to cover the entirety of this season and next season?

-I've heard there are two more books and two seasons of the show remaining. Is that true?

-Do you think it's realistic to expect Danerys to siege Kings Landing and for the White Walkers to cross the wall by the end of the next season?

- Not sure about what the next book covers but I guess there are two more books to come.

- Yes two more seasons but they might be shorter and add up to 15 episodes or so instead of 20.

- King Landing will likely be sieged early next season. As for the white walkers, who knows but I'm sure the safe bet is that they are the end game (so final season baddies).

I'm so jealous of people in the future that will be able to binge watch this show without stopping.

We are experiencing the thing as it is being made. It will be the equivalent of a person in the sixties saying I'm so jealous of people who will be able to listen to the Beatles in the 2010's. The cultural impact the "global phenomenom" is going on now.

I actually feel bad for people that didn't get to experience the great series like Breaking Bad when it was airing. They will never be able to appreciate why it was so relevant to the time. I watched The Sopranos a decade after it was first aired, and some of the things were already dated, but because I'm aware of it, my enjoyment of the show wasn't severely affected. But as the years go by that will be harder and harder for most people to do.

e_i

bndb2nR.jpg

sangreal

So... Baratheon, Tully, Bolton and Walder don't exist anymore, right ?

Tullys are still around. Edmure was in the dungeon as of the finale and he has a kid. Baratheons, Boltons, Freys are wiped out. Tyrells and Lannisters have no heirs. Were the Umbers/Karstarks wiped out?

e: Oh yeah, the Martells are wiped out this season too

Nameless

Edmure is still alive on the Tully side. Gendry is a bastard but still holds the key to the Baratheon male line. Boltons are gone as far as I know. Walder and atleast two of his sons are gone, but he had a ton of children and grandchildren.

Neospartan

Neo Member
Definitely. I think an anthology series would be the best route, each season is a different story and a different cast. Robert's Rebellion could be a full 10 ep season, and they could come back with a Night Fort season that's 6.

They could do an entire sub-series following the Targaryens and end it with Robert's Rebellion.

Edit: Freys, not Walder.

Baratheon and Bolton are done for. Tully lives in Edmure and his heir that Jaime threatened to smash against the walls of Riverrun. And Freys are pretty much alive, but since they are so many heirs they're doomed to destroy themselves.

sangreal

Edmure is still alive on the Tully side. Gendry is a bastard but still holds the key to the Baratheon male line. Boltons are gone as far as I know. Walder and atleast two of his sons are gone, but he had a ton of children and grandchildren.

Yeah, but his trueborn sons don't have any sons. He has a million daughters and bastards. I checked the game of thrones wikia and they think the frey from season 1 (Stevron Frey) is still around and now the lord of riverrun but I don't see why Arya would leave one alive

Go_Ly_Dow

- Not sure about what the next book covers but I guess there are two more books to come.

- Yes two more seasons but they might be shorter and add up to 15 episodes or so instead of 20.

- King Landing will likely be sieged early next season. As for the white walkers, who knows but I'm sure the safe bet is that they are the end game (so final season baddies).

Thanks.

I feel a bit apprehensive about them concluding it in just 15 episodes. I would love 2 full seasons.

Phased

I'd watch the hell out of a "Roberts Rebellion" spin-off but I'd be worried nobody else would because there wouldn't be Dragon's and such to keep the fantasy element going.

Maybe go back further to the First Men times and cover that period. It'd be pretty fertile since there's been only hints about what happened so you could basically go nuts so long as you make sure to hit certain story points.

sangreal

I'd watch the hell out of a "Roberts Rebellion" spin-off but I'd be worried nobody else would because there wouldn't be Dragon's and such to keep the fantasy element going.

Maybe go back further to the First Men times and cover that period. It's be pretty fertile since there's been only hints about what happened so you could basically go nuts so long as you make sure to hit certain story points.

judging by all the people who complain about the fantasy elements (despite being introduced in the first scene) I am not sure that would hurt it

Maybe go back further to the First Men times and cover that period. It'd be pretty fertile since there's been only hints about what happened so you could basically go nuts so long as you make sure to hit certain story points.

I think the problem with something like the rebellion wouldn't be the lack of Dragons or fantasy elements, but everyone knows how that story ends.

People get angry with spoilers, rightfully so. But knowing what will happen, who will live, who will die etc would be a pretty big impact on enjoyment I think.

z4chc3na

Okay this conversation made me appreciate this show even more. The fact that Aemon was not only speaking on Ned's leaving to Kings Landing but also Ned's decision/promise in the past is amazing. Right under our noses since the jump.

Also Lady Mormont for an Oscar.

Oscars are for movies.

How did Ned's sis suffer that wound that led to her death ? Mad king?

Does the hound have some special blood?
There seem to be three factions of those that believe in the fire god.

Meslandre who believed Jon is the one.
The ones where Danny is residing who believe she is the the one.

Now, we have the hound joining the 3rd group who feel there is something special about him.

Neospartan

Neo Member
Game of Thrones: The Targaryen Dynasty
Season 1: Valyria
Season 2: Aegon's Conquest
Season 3: Dance of the Dragons
Season 4: Blackfyre Rebellion
Season 5: The Great Council
Season 6: Robert's Rebellion

Some of those could be too big for one season, some of those could be too small for one season. But if they put their minds into it, they could seriously do a Targaryen sub series, maybe even alternating between the Dynasty and other stuff as the time gaps.

I think the problem with something like the rebellion wouldn't be the lack of Dragons or fantasy elements, but everyone knows how that story ends.

People get angry with spoilers, rightfully so. But knowing what will happen, who will live, who will die etc would be a pretty big impact on enjoyment I think.

People just get angry because they like to get angry.
Come on, if people wouldn't like to see stories that already knew how they ended, Prequels and re-tellings would just not be things that we do.

Ithil

How did Ned's sis suffer that wound that led to her death ? Mad king?

Does the hound have some special blood?
There seem to be three factions of those that believe in the fire god.

Meslandre who believed Jon is the one.
The ones where Danny is residing who believe she is the the one.

Now, we have the hound joining the 3rd group who feel there is something special about him.
From childbirth. It can easily kill the mother if it goes wrong or doesn't have someone handling it right. Hers did and caused fatal bleeding with no access to a maester.

Volimar

Prequel enjoyment only gets impacted if the creators continually put the people in dangerous situations when we know they'll live through them. The rest of the story can be told and enjoyed as normal.

Also, I hope this meme takes off.

Oreoleo

Sam looks like he dropped a few pounds. Still a big guy but his outfit didn't look skin tight in his latest scenes.

I think so too. His scene in the finale was the healthiest he's looked in a while (could've partly been that he wasn't surrounded by snow and supposed to be cold). Good for him!

Ithil

So... Baratheon, Tully, Bolton and Freys don't exist anymore, right ?

Edit: Freys, not Walder.
There's no more legitimate Baratheons (not that Tommen actually was one), Gendry is the last remaining one, and he's a bastard. If he were somehow legitimized he could carry on the house but that's not exactly likely.

Tullys are around still, Edmure is alive and even has an heir technically.

Boltons are done, 100%. No one with the name left, no heirs, and no bastards. Sansa already promised to scrub their name from history, too, so they will be extinct for good.

Freys are still around, but in disarray and with no clear heir, so are likely to tear the house apart following Walder and his sons dying.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
alright, really good seasn, just one quick question. Why was Varys on the boat in the last scene? He was in Dorne just right before.. He can teleport all of a sudden?
I dont understand.

Yeah that's why I'd rather they work on something else then a prequel. I already enjoy the snippets they give us in flashbacks. No need to make a whole series about it.

-griffy-

Banned
alright, really good seasn, just one quick question. Why was Varys on the boat in the last scene? He was in Dorne just right before.. He can teleport all of a sudden?
I dont understand.

Time passed between scenes. There were also Dorne and Tyrell ships in the fleet at the end.

There were also several other parts of the episode where obvious time skips occurred. We saw the white ravens leaving the Citadel at Oldtown when Sam arrived, way in the south of Westeros. Then we see a white raven arriving at Wintefell, way in the north of Westeros. Jaime is at the Twins and travels back to King's Landing. Arya has had time to travel from Braavos to the Twins. Varys had time to travel from Dorne, along with the Dorne and Tyrell armies, to meet Dany's fleet.

SMG

This could be dope. Especially if they set it way before Thrones

Also yeah I'd be down for a Witcher series. It would work really well on HBO as well

If I was the head of programming for HBO, Which I'm not, After GoT I would put that money and spotlight on a completely different genre (most likely Sci Fi).

As good as Witcher could be as a TV show any HBO fantasy series replacing GoT will get shit on from second one.
After the Sprawl trilogy and some extra bits are done then do Witcher.

If I was the head of programming for HBO, Which I'm not, After GoT I would put that money and spotlight on a completely different genre (most likely Sci Fi).

As good as Witcher could be as a TV show any HBO fantasy series replacing GoT will get shit on from second one.

Maybe that's Westworld job.

RDreamer

Yeah I was about to say something like this. Personally if I was in charge I'd green light the shit out of some sort of prequel series even if it's just a season or two worth of content to make sure GoT viewers stayed on. Then I'd green light an epic sci-fi type show that's similar in tone and style of storytelling to hook them there. After that series gets going then maybe I'd go back and try another fantasy-like series. As a fanboy of the Witcher (games and books), I'd love to see it on TV, especially HBO but I really doubt that's ever going to actually happen.

SMG

Maybe that's Westworld job.
I completely forgot about that, after it was delayed and I thought it had been canned.
If that hits it could take some of the burden off of GoT to be the big presentation piece each year.

some sort of prequel series even if it's just a season or two worth of content to make sure GoT viewers stayed on.

There might be a difference between the people who got in on the books and those starting with the show. I'm one of the latter and the bits of history the show puts forward always seemed to tie in so closely as to not really need anymore time or focus.

sangreal

I dont understand.

If Varys is shown in one place early in an episode and in another in the final scene, is the logical conclusion that he teleported, or that time passed?

RDreamer

There might be a difference between the people who got in on the books and those starting with the show. I'm one of the latter and the bits of history the show puts forward always seemed to tie in so closely as to not really need anymore time or focus.

I don't know that prequel stuff is needed, no. I think they could do some creative stuff with it, though... I think something is needed for HBO to survive after this, though. They've got two shortened seasons of GoT left and almost nothing else to pull anyone in yet. Meanwhile Netflix is shitting out pretty great content every few months. So I'd green light something in the GoT world just to keep more people on until HBO found the next hit.

squadr0n

So if there are only 13-15 episodes left is there a chance we will actually see the war between the White Walkers and whatever is left of Westeros.

We're obviously going to see Danny and her Dragons fight for the 7 kingdoms but I can't see them having enough time for her to conquer all of Westereros. There is so much intrigue to be had with her building relationships and getting back stabbed after getting the iron throne.

The only way I see it happening is if while she's fighting for the Iron Throne, the White Walkers start their attack around the same time. When she gets everyone to stop fighting each other and team up to battle the white walkers does she truly become Queen Danny, first of her name.

The time and money spent on these battles has to be huge. I can't see them doing it justice unless HBO gives them to ok. I hope we get a final episode though showing how things are after everything is said and done.

Wondering the same things. Seems like one season will be Danny vs Cersei and the other will be Danny vs White Walkers.

How many books are left not including the one being worked on now?

Volimar

Someone said Targareyens inbreed to keep the bloodline pure and there's only two left so ya know...
I hope not

Will either of them even know at that point? Given her rather soft stance on the iron islands, I could see her being okay with the Starks so long as they support her claim to the crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom