• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
Quite strange how a lot of the early marketing and the official posters this year focused on the Hall of Faces, not quite sure what they were going for with that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Game of Thrones finale draws largest audience in history of series with 8.9 Million viewers

The show is only getting MORE popular. HBO better be brainstorming something to replace it ASAP, they don't have much development time left. And as entertaining as those last episodes were, I bet everybody + some more come back next year.

It's great, too, since the more popular it gets the more money they can put behind and the better the show will be. In season 1, I would have never imagined something like The Battle of the Bastards being possible in a TV show.
Quite strange how a lot of the early marketing and the official posters this year focused on the Hall of Faces, not quite sure what they were going for with that.

I think they just like to keep it as a vague as possible and that was a way to say, "look at everyone who has died and look at everyone who could die".

Not sure what they will do for season 7 but I hope their tagline is "Winter has Come".

-griffy-

Banned

It was just playing into the notion that any character could die, by featuring characters who had already died alongside characters who were still alive in the show (and being cheeky by featuring Jon Snow).

Amazing finale, I had tears in my eyes during the Tower of Joy seen. Brilliantly shot and acted. One thing that is bothering me though, why did Lyanna whisper his name to Ned? Why didn't she just say it out loud? From what I can gather she says "His name is Aejon, promise me you will protect him, Robert will kill him - you know he will!" Although the name is a bit hard to hear you can sort of lip read her and it's definitely not just "Jon".

How do you even pronounce Aejon? A-juh-on?

-griffy-

Banned
Not sure what they will do for season 7 but I hope their tagline is "Winter has Come".

"Winter has come" is a good bet, but they could do a series based around "Long live the queen" or something similar, but each piece featuring a different queen. Cersei, Dany, Yara, Ellaria, even Olenna as the Queen of Thorns. And throw Sansa in there too.

SeanR1221

It's great, too, since the more popular it gets the more money they can put behind and the better the show will be. In season 1, I would have never imagined something like The Battle of the Bastards being possible in a TV show.

I think they just like to keep it as a vague as possible and that was a way to say, "look at everyone who has died and look at everyone who could die".

Going back to season 1 can be rough. Some scenes look like a high school play in comparison

Einchy

Going back to season 1 can be rough. Some scenes look like a high school play in comparison

This looks so fake compared to future King's Landing scenes that were shot on location.
zf6o1XB.jpg

Thank the gods for Croatia.

I completely lost my appetite for another season, won't be watching GoT anymore
I've always felt the show is good for what it is. It's two or three tiers below stuff like The Wire, but also not wholly terrible (its technical and logistics achievements alone make it worth watching.)

Einchy

Overall though, the show has great visual continuity. Really shines on Blu-ray.

It's not that season 1 looks bad, because it still looks better than most shows on TV, but just compared to the rest of the show, it's definitely a set down in production quality. Season 2 is when you can REALLY tell they put a lot of money into the show and you really couldn't see a difference between a season 2 shot and a season 6 one, they both look just as good.

Vic_Viper

So if there are only 13-15 episodes left is there a chance we will actually see the war between the White Walkers and whatever is left of Westeros.

We're obviously going to see Danny and her Dragons fight for the 7 kingdoms but I can't see them having enough time for her to conquer all of Westereros. There is so much intrigue to be had with her building relationships and getting back stabbed after getting the iron throne.

The only way I see it happening is if while she's fighting for the Iron Throne, the White Walkers start their attack around the same time. When she gets everyone to stop fighting each other and team up to battle the white walkers does she truly become Queen Danny, first of her name.

The time and money spent on these battles has to be huge. I can't see them doing it justice unless HBO gives them to ok. I hope we get a final episode though showing how things are after everything is said and done.

Amazing finale, I had tears in my eyes during the Tower of Joy seen. Brilliantly shot and acted. One thing that is bothering me though, why did Lyanna whisper his name to Ned? Why didn't she just say it out loud? From what I can gather she says "His name is Aejon, promise me you will protect him, Robert will kill him - you know he will!" Although the name is a bit hard to hear you can sort of lip read her and it's definitely not just "Jon".

How do you even pronounce Aejon? A-juh-on?
Loved the scene, but this annoyed my brother and I as well. I see no other reason than to try and force a bit of extra drama. The scene was good enough without. Just speak like a regular person.

It'll be interesting if the two truncated seasons retain the budget of a full season. Make a real spectacle of the dragons and white walker armies.

Einchy

It'll be interesting if the two truncated seasons retain the budget of a full season. Make a real spectacle of the dragons and white walker armies.

That's the reason I feel like they might actually do the smaller season cus you gotta imagine the dragons will have to show up for most episodes and they will wreck havoc left and right.

I do wonder what happened after that explosion. It felt like some time has passed before Cerise's coronation. The Lannister army was with Jaime and not there; I guess someone would still be in charge of the Tyrell army; would the masses not revolt when their favourite king and queen died along with everyone around the explosion? I assumed Cersei would have scapegoated someone, otherwise she must have made it known that wildfire is everywhere and ruled out of fear.

Most likely, considering Jamie had to travel all the way from The Twins back to KL to see the aftermath

My guess is she was crowned around a fortnight after.

TheRed

Maybe it was because I was tired while watching it, but it was some of the most predictable television I've ever witnessed... I just don't know if I can't stand Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington's acting for another season
There we go with the predictability complaint, you didn't beat the show by guessing what would happen that doesn't disqualify the episode from being well made, a good show should make enough sense that you can guess what will happen.

The acting complaint is legitimate if it bothers you that much, though I feel they're not that bad anymore and the show still has plenty of other great actors. Anyway sure you'll be checking out the show next year! Unless you already know how everything ends because it's so predictable.

Game of Thrones finale draws largest audience in history of series with 8.9 Million viewers

The show is only getting MORE popular. HBO better be brainstorming something to replace it ASAP, they don't have much development time left. And as entertaining as those last episodes were, I bet everybody + some more come back next year.

Yeah given how incredible episodes 9 and 10 were and how positive reception in the public has been Season 7 is going to open to enormous ratings. I don't see how anything can replace GoT though honestly. There isn't many franchises out there that combine the political stuff with fantasy and still manage to make the whole thing feel grounded even though you are watching Dragons and Ice Zombies. Sure there are other huge shows like The Walking Dead but just being frank the quality is nowhere near the same level as GoT.

It's kind of lightning in a bottle

The One and Done™;208587447 said:
Season 7 will be the downfall of Cersei. Season 8 will be the Unification of the Seven Kingdoms to create the largest army the world has ever seen vs the White Walkers
It feels like she won't even make the season finale before she gets rekt. Who knows though?

roytheone

So if there are only 13-15 episodes left is there a chance we will actually see the war between the White Walkers and whatever is left of Westeros.

We're obviously going to see Danny and her Dragons fight for the 7 kingdoms but I can't see them having enough time for her to conquer all of Westereros. There is so much intrigue to be had with her building relationships and getting back stabbed after getting the iron throne.

The only way I see it happening is if while she's fighting for the Iron Throne, the White Walkers start their attack around the same time. When she gets everyone to stop fighting each other and team up to battle the white walkers does she truly become Queen Danny, first of her name.

The time and money spent on these battles has to be huge. I can't see them doing it justice unless HBO gives them to ok. I hope we get a final episode though showing how things are after everything is said and done.

Eh, I can see it happening pretty fast. She has a huge army, good advisors, three dragons and potential help from the north. Plus, Cercei will probably rule based on fear, so the people of kings landing will probably see Dany as a liberator instead of a conqueror, which will help tremendously.

TheRed

Yeah given how incredible episodes 9 and 10 were and how positive reception in the public has been Season 7 is going to open to enormous ratings. I don't see how anything can replace GoT though honestly. There isn't many franchises out there that combine the political stuff with fantasy and still manage to make the whole thing feel grounded even though you are watching Dragons and Ice Zombies. Sure there are other huge shows like The Walking Dead but just being frank the quality is nowhere near the same level as GoT.

It's kind of lightning in a bottle
A good version of your avatar would be the closest with a nice different feel to it. I would love if they did The Witcher, and somehow found a perfect actor for Geralt.

VARIA

http://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confirm-there-are-only-15-e-1782731578

Benioff:

It’s two more seasons we’re talking about. From pretty close to the beginning, we talked about doing this in 70-75 hours, and that’s what we’ll end up with. Call it 73 for now.

We’re trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end. As Dan said, we’ve known the end for quite some time and we’re hurtling towards it. Those last images from the show that aired last night showed that. Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros; Jon Snow is king of the North and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them. The pieces are on the board now. Some of the pieces have been removed from the board and we are heading toward the end game.

The thing that has excited us from the beginning, back to the way we pitched it to HBO is, it’s not supposed to be an ongoing show, where every season it’s trying to figure out new story lines. We wanted it to be one giant story, without padding it out to add an extra 10 hours, or because people are still watching it. We wanted to something where, if people watched it end to end, it would make sense as one continuous story. We’re definitely heading into the end game now.

So, 13-15 episodes left. I'd rather have one large season instead of two smaller one's.

Still seems like they have so much ground to cover.

sangreal

http://io9.gizmodo.com/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confirm-there-are-only-15-e-1782731578

Benioff:

So, 13-15 episodes left. I'd rather have one large season instead of two smaller one's.

Still seems like they have so much ground to cover.

Do they though? Barring some wildcard (Baelish) shenanigans the wars for the iron throne are pretty close to wrapped up. Jon has no ambitions, and Cersei has no support (even if she marries Euron or somebody). Then you just have the fight with the dead. Anyways, it is clear that HBO would be thrilled to do more episodes if D&D need it

That said..
it’s not supposed to be an ongoing show, where every season it’s trying to figure out new story lines.

Open-ended shows like this usually end up unwatchable by the end, but I could see something like that working in the GoT world if they ever do a spinoff

Nameless

I think HBO is better off tapping into the extended lore and history of ASOIAF instead trying to chase the...dragon with another Fantasy epic so soon. There are still plenty of stories left to tell in this world.

Neospartan

Neo Member
I think HBO is better off tapping into the extended lore and history of ASOIAF instead trying to chase the...dragon with another Fantasy epic so soon. There are still plenty of stories left to tell in this world.

Dunk and Egg
Robert's Rebellion
The Dance with Dragons
Aegon's Conquest
The Andal Invasion
Bran the Builder
The First Men Invasion

I could go on and on. They seriously need to make a spin-off of at least one of those.

Nameless

Dunk and Egg
Robert's Rebellion
The Dance with Dragons
Aegon's Conquest
The Andal Invasion
Bran the Builder
The First Men Invasion

I could go on and on. They seriously need to make a spin-off of at least one of those.

Definitely. I think an anthology series would be the best route, each season is a different story and a different cast. Robert's Rebellion could be a full 10 ep season, and they could come back with a Night Fort season that's 6.

I think after season 7 and 8, they'll think of something else GoT-related, like a prequel, wouldn't be surprised. They're not going to end this show, so much money to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom