• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

But the Gold Cloaks are like the City Guards. Very odd they'd simply up and disappear lol. Yeah and the Lannisters not being there in force is weird too. Previous seasons this guys were gallivanting around all over the place in KL.

A brother who beat her even when she wanted only to help him. A brother who drew his sword in a holy place where such actions would lead to death, even when he was warned what would happen. A brother who then placed the tip of that sword on her pregnant belly and proceeded to threaten to cut her baby out if he didn't get what he wanted. Oh the stories we can spin when context is thrown to the wayside. There was no satisfaction in Dany when her brother bought his own death through his actions. Dany even tried to stop him before it was too late. Maybe you don't remember, but we do.
The only thing you don't seem to remember is that Arya killed the man responsible for the fucking red wedding! You say context matters but if any death is justifiable in Game of Thrones its Walder fucking Frey. And yes, I would expect her to get satisfaction for killing the man who beheaded her mother and brother in a single night.

Cerity

I really don't see Euron allying with Cersei, if he does it'd be to take out Daenerys & Yara/Theon and then lay seige to KL himself. He was apart of the Greyjoy rebellion and played a key role in wiping out the Lannister navy at the time. Even if they ally out of circumstance, I can't imagine the rest of the Ironborn would be too fond of the happenings.

I think a naval battle on the way will be more likely, he'll probably challenege Yara for her position aside Daenerys. I can see it being where Theon will die too, his days are pretty numbered IMO.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The only thing you don't seem to remember is that Arya killed the man responsible for the fucking red wedding! You say context matters but if any death is justifiable in Game of Thrones its Walder fucking Frey. And yes, I would expect her to get satisfaction for killing the man who beheaded her mother and brother in a single night.

I'm not talking about the death. The Freys absolutely deserve to die. But Arya is still a sociopath for killing them in that particular manner. She could have easily killed the two sons, and then slit Walder Frey's throat and be done with it. Then again, they've been telegraphing how ruthless and bloodthirsty Arya is for awhile. I like Arya, don't get me wrong. But what her and Sansa did where so not the Stark way. Executing an enemy who deserves it is fine, but feeding people to dogs and making pies out of them is just, I don't know, grizzly and stooping down to the level of their enemies.

FeD.nL

I really don't see Euron allying with Cersei, if he does it'd be to take out Daenerys & Yara/Theon and then lay seige to KL himself. He was apart of the Greyjoy rebellion and played a key role in wiping out the Lannister navy at the time. Even if they ally out of circumstance, I can't imagine the rest of the Ironborn would be too fond of the happenings.

I think a naval battle on the way will be more likely, he'll probably challenege Yara for her position aside Daenerys. I can see it being where Theon will die too, his days are pretty numbered IMO.

I've got this strange feeling that Yara will be the one to die. Like the last season clearly reaffirms that Yara is one of the boys, and a true Ironborn. Whereas Theon is finding himself once again. And especially one of the last scenes where Yara pledges the fleet to Dany but then says pillaging etc. has been there way forever, it really makes me think Theon will end up being Lord of the Iron Isles.

With change being such a key theme to the show what bigger change would there be for the Iron Isles to be lead by a Eunuch.

My guess is that Theon will show his military capabilities (whichever way you spin it he did manage to take Winterfell) and probably earn the respect of the men, if/when Yara dies.

ASIS

I'm not talking about the death. The Freys absolutely deserve to die. But Arya is still a sociopath for killing them in that particular manner. She could have easily killed the two sons, and then slit Walder Frey's throat and be done with it. Then again, they've been telegraphing how ruthless and bloodthirsty Arya is for awhile. I like Arya, don't get me wrong. But what her and Sansa did where so not the Stark way. Executing an enemy who deserves it is fine, but feeding people to dogs and making pies out of them is just, I don't know, grizzly and stooping down to the level of their enemies.

For the record, Dany is my favorite character in the show so don't think i'm arguing against her just because.

But I find it hard to believe Arya is a sociopath for killing the Freys even in that manner. Especially considering how she showed mercy to lady crane and put her life on the line for her. Dany is no less violent than Arya when all things are considered, she burned a man and fed him to her dragons just in the off chance that he was funding the Sons of the Harpy.
They both had their reasons, but they both have a darkness in their soul. In fact I'd argue the only noble character left is Jon Targeryen .

casiopao

I really don't see how and why LF would side with Cersei here. While his plan with Sansha is maybe foiled by Jon, joining a dying side like Cersei is just suicide moves. Not to mention, LF relation with Cersei is never of a good one. so it will be totally out of his style to join Cersei.

I would said, LF would try to join the Walkers first before joining a sinking ship lol.

televator

I'll agree that Sansa and Arya's kills are not the Stark way. The Stark way has always been behead/hang the guy and be done with it. It's never been about blood lust before.

However Arya was damn near an apprentice to the hound, and Sansa even had some time to absorb some lessons from Cersei and Baelish. They didn't quite have the opportunity to learn about killing their enemies in the traditional way. They were taught by the people around them that sadism and cruelty are the norm.

duckroll

Considering that so far the "Stark way" has been to die like a bitch and let your enemies laugh over your corpse, maybe the Stark way isn't the best way...

Heshinsi

For the record, Dany is my favorite character in the show so don't think i'm arguing against her just because.

But I find it hard to believe Arya is a sociopath for killing the Freys even in that manner. Especially considering how she showed mercy to lady crane and put her life on the line for her. Dany is no less violent than Arya when all things are considered, she burned a man and fed him to her dragons just in the off chance that he was funding the Sons of the Harpy.
They both had their reasons, but they both have a darkness in their soul. In fact I'd argue the only noble character left is Jon Targeryen .
You're right, they have both shown kindness to the mostly innocent, and ruthlessness to their enemies, who have been evil people. The reason why I don't count that master as a random, is that all the masters have been Slavers. And the slavery they practice is brutal. So I can't feel sorry for people that partook in that.

The reason Arya's kills bothered me was how personal they are. I keep imagining Arya going all Jeffrey Dahmer and skinning people while whistling a tune as she bakes them, and it scares the shit out of me :(

casiopao

Considering that so far the "Stark way" has been to die like a bitch and let your enemies laugh over your corpse, maybe the Stark way isn't the best way...

Stark way is probably the worst and pathetic way in GoT for sure. I would go for LF or Tyrell way first before joining Stark way.

At least, i won't die like idiot.

Heshinsi

Stark way is probably the worst and pathetic way in GoT for sure. I would go for LF or Tyrell way first before joining Stark way.

At least, i won't die like idiot.
Tyrell way at least insures one member of the family survives.

"Granny we can't all be here, you know the rule!"

casiopao

Tyrell way at least insures one member of the family survives.

"Granny we can't all be here, you know the rule!"

Which makes it great. They are honorable in a good way but not afraid to use smart moves.

Stark ways is only going to get you killed one by one thanks to your own stupid decision.T_T

watershed

Banned
The Starks are too honorable for the GOT's world. Rewatching some of season 1, it is immediately clear how in over his head Ned is from his very first day on the job. It seems to run in the family.

Heshinsi

Which makes it great. They are honorable in a good way but not afraid to use smart moves.

Stark ways is only going to get you killed one by one thanks to your own stupid decision.T_T

Every male Stark who has executed a man by beheading in the name of what they perceived as justice, has died*.

But Robb takes the cake for being the dumbest Stark in history. You execute a man who commands a good chunk of your army, when you can easily keep him hostage till the war ends and deal with him then. I hope Jon isn't this stupid - he kinda is :(

* Jon's cheat code use none withstanding.

casiopao

Every male Stark who has executed a man by beheading in the name of what they perceived as justice, has died*.

But Robb takes the cake for being the dumbest Stark in history. You execute a man who commands a good chunk of your army, when you can easily keep him hostage till the war ends and deal with him then. I hope Jon isn't this stupid - he kinda is :(

Well, seeing how after his resurrection he end up being even more timid. I can see him keep doing the same baka mistake lol.

And seeing his bloodline, it is not helping him too here lol. The unstable Dragon and too proud for it's own good Wolf...... it is like the worst of all combined into one thing lol.T_T

Let's hope Sansha will be able insert some common sense into this King. Or, we will end getting Ned ending once more there.T_T

The Starks are too honorable for the GOT's world. Rewatching some of season 1, it is immediately clear how in over his head Ned is from his very first day on the job. It seems to run in the family.

Considering how Robb and Jon performance... it is in their DNA there.T_T At least in some way, the girls of Stark is much better there. Having a proper teacher who knows how dirty Westeros seems to give them much more common sense.

Vagabundo

Team Stark eh? Let's recap. You've got:

Crippled, marked by the enemy, Treepedia enthusiast who just so happens to be heading to a magical wall that he might end up weakening.

A Punisher like sociopath who skins and bakes people, and then grins like a maniac as she watches her enemies die.

Sansa Stark who's motives for doing things can be as a result of being naive, being dumb, being calculating, being played, being jealous, or any combination thereof. No one seems to know, not even the actress or the show writers. Oh and she also has a part time gig feeding the local dogs at the impound.

Have I missed anyone?

Jon Stark-Targaryen-Snow.

King of the North.

#TeamStark

televator

Nah, Jon's not so stringent and hasty with execution. He spared Ygrete and Meli. Meli would no doubt have been executed for her crimes by Ned and Rob. He's capable of playing along depending on how the wind blows a bit more than them. He killed a fellow Nights Watch so he could infiltrate the wildling camp, and didn't let that weigh down on him when he ultimately saved them and formed a pact with them.

He can tell when it is or isn't in his best interest to kill someone.

casiopao

Nah, Jon's not so stringent and hasty with execution. He spared Ygrete and Meli. Meli would no doubt have been executed for her crimes by Ned and Rob. He's capable of playing along depending on how the wind blows a bit more than them. He killed a fellow Nights Watch so he could infiltrate the wildling camp, and didn't let that weigh down on him when he ultimately saved them and formed a pact with them.

And yet, he charged like and idiot seeing Rickon. He still had half of that baka DNA lol,^_^

Matty77

Yeah the Stark way blows.

As for Arya people bring up Lady Crane why she is not a psychopath but first that was before she truly lost herself to kill than skin the Waifs face. It's not killing Frey, or even the Rat King justice. It's the fact she stood over his corpse splooshing over what she just did with a unhinged smile. That's serial killer shit.

And there are a lot of serial killers that also wouldn't of killed lady crane because it wasn't "right", being a psychopath isn't always Miami Blues or American Psycho just killing people willy nilly.

But Aryas attitude and demeanor after that kill was one of the most disturbing scenes in the whole series, more unsettling than anything Ramsay or Joffrey ever did.

Vagabundo

But Aryas attitude and demeanor after that kill was one of the most disturbing scenes in the whole series, more unsettling than anything Ramsay or Joffrey ever did.

Really? I didn't find it all that bad. Ramsay and Joffrey were the most sadist characters in the whole show, one of whom fed a baby to his dogs. You really think someone who enjoys getting revenge on the person who killed their mother and brother is in the same league?

Heshinsi

Ok, fair enough, those are solid counter arguments. My rebuttal:

1467044722-jon-snow-rickon.gif
16qda8.gif
giphy.gif

There was deeper meaning to that though. He wanted death to come at him.

But he completely disregarded the lives of his men. That's not right bro.

Dany is a queen who kept eye contact with her own brother who was having melted gold poured on him by her husband and she did nothing. If you want to go that path then all characters are twisted.

You obviously don't remember the circumstances of Viserys' death. He had a sword held to Dany, and threatened to cut her unborn baby out of her. Not to mention he was an outright cunt to her for her entire life up until his death. He outright told her that he'd let every Dothraki and their horses take turns raping her if it got him the crown.

If you think characters should have affection for somebody just because they're family, I don't know what show you've been watching.

Zereta

I don't think so. The Tyrells got off pretty easy. Loras had to renounce his claims but I doubt that would give her pause -- she doesn't have a valid claim to anything anyway. I could see the mutilation being a problem. Worse of all though I think she just couldn't allow the high sparrow to win. That would have been the greatest punishment of all

Not to mention I'm pretty sure she assumed the "young queen" in her prophecy was Margaery, not even stopping to consider that it was Dany.

Zereta

Ok, fair enough, those are solid counter arguments. My rebuttal:

1467044722-jon-snow-rickon.gif
16qda8.gif
giphy.gif

But he completely disregarded the lives of his men. That's not right bro.

It's not right but that's exactly what Jon would do because
Ned probably would have been foolish enough to do the same

Pkaz01

As for Arya people bring up Lady Crane why she is not a psychopath but first that was before she truly lost herself to kill than skin the Waifs face. It's not killing Frey, or even the Rat King justice. It's the fact she stood over his corpse splooshing over what she just did with a unhinged smile. That's serial killer shit.

And there are a lot of serial killers that also wouldn't of killed lady crane because it wasn't "right", being a psychopath isn't always Miami Blues or American Psycho just killing people willy nilly.

She has been doing that since like season three. Killed the frey after the red wedding and stood over him, killed polliver in the tavern and stood over him, shit in season 5 it Meryn Trant was basically a religious experience for her and she made him suffer before he died. Walder was quick as far as deaths go. Revenge is sweet as they say.

Matty77

Really? I didn't find it all that bad. Ramsay and Joffrey were the most sadist characters in the whole show, one of whom fed a baby to his dogs. You really think someone who enjoys getting revenge on the person who killed their mother and brother is in the same league?
That wasn't enjoying revenge. Whether they meant it to or not her reaction came off like a serial killer. I am one of those weirdos who researches and follows true crime and while Joffrey and Ramsay were great fictional characters they came off as fictional, whereas Arya though probably not meant by D&D looked like she was expressing the sort of emotion serial killers describe at the moment of the kill. It just crossed the fantasy violence line into realistic in some ways is all, and the reaction of a normal person to that sort of behavior is revulsion leading to a lot of people feeling off about that scene, both regular viewers and people with a voice.

I bet that's also one of the reasons such an important plot point was glossed over in most recaps and reviews, it was a really uncomfortable scene, and it came from one of the shows "Hereos".

Heshinsi

Jon Stark-Targaryen-Snow.

King of the North.

#TeamStark

I see some mad disrespect being leveled at the Sweet Voice of Westeros, the Man of Melody, the Most Beautiful Man in the World, the People's Prince. No one else in Westeros has to share their child's surname with that of the child's mother. No one else has people reminding him, "but your child is also part ____." Are the Stark kids constantly counted as both Stark and Tully? Nope. Is Sweet Robin referred to as the Tit Sucker of Houses Aryn and Tully? Nope. And what about the late Baratheon brothers, is their mother's family alluded to by anyone when their names are mentioned? Nope.

Rheagar Targaryen has probably wept rivers up in heaven watching his little boy mistreated at the hands of that hateful woman named Cat. Where was Jon when the family gathered to eat? Right over there in the corner where bastards belonged. How was he treated when he wanted to say goodbye to Bran? "I wish it was you in his spot!" Disgusting. And honourable Ned Stark allowed his wife to mistreat an innocent child who grow up believing that he indeed was the walking, talking, breathing symbol of his "father's" shame. Just because Jon has a heart of gold, and is forgiving, doesn't mean it's forgotten. He's the Harry potter of the North.

Jumeira

Banned

Nope, it's what promotes then above all others in the North and inspired others to rally behind them. It kept Jon safe from certain death. it's largely responsible for Roberts Rebelion, moved Jon to Lord Commander, united the Wildlings then rose to King.

Robb was right to do what he did, but it was breaking his commitment that killed him.

Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya are major players now, Benjen still doing the honarable thing behind the wall, they are a force to be reckoned with.

This season was a big moment for Stak fans.

Heshinsi

That wasn't enjoying revenge. Whether they meant it to or not her reaction came off like a serial killer. I am one of those weirdos who researches and follows true crime and while Joffrey and Ramsay were great fictional characters they came off as fictional, whereas Arya though probably not meant by D&D looked like she was expressing the sort of emotion serial killers describe at the moment of the kill. It just crossed the fantasy violence line into realistic in some ways is all, and the reaction of a normal person to that sort of behavior is revulsion leading to a lot of people feeling off about that scene, both regular viewers and people with a voice.

I bet that's also one of the reasons such an important plot point was glossed over in most recaps and reviews, it was a really uncomfortable scene, and it came from one of the shows "Hereos".

Even the D&D mentioned that we should be worried for Ayra. If what you're doing would make Dexter come after you, I think you've gone about it too far. Killing the people who obliterated your family? Fair. Killing them, skinning them, cooking them, feeding them to their father, and then slitting his throat while you look down and smile? That's the straight up description for something out of Hostel. If you make the villains from most horror films take pause at what you've down, you need to reevaluate what you're doing. If Freddy Kruger is afraid of closing his eyes because Arya scares the shit out of him, she needs to reassess her behaviour.

Matty77

Nope, it's what promotes then above all others in the North and inspired others to rally behind them. It kept Jon safe from certain death. it's largely responsible for Roberts Rebelion, moved Jon to Lord Commander, united the Wildlings then rose to King.

Robb was right to do what he did, but it was breaking his commitment that killed him.

Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya are major players now, Benjen still doing the honarable thing behind the wall, they are a force to be reckoned with.

This season was a big moment for Stak fans.
Jon may be an argument for you, but bran is largely outside it all, and neither Sansa or Arya are doing things the "stark way".

But the original comment was sarcastic anyways responding to duckrolls joking comment that honor only seems to get the Starks killed( including pre-resurrection Jon).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Arya is going full Darth Arya and something needs to happen or she will completely lose herself in the pursuit of revenge.

AND THIS IS WHY I THINK GENDRY WILL RETURN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UuOWkF9Ji4

Just look at her reaction, if she ever reunites with Gendry again, that part of her will be reborn again.

Matty77

Arya is going full Darth Arya and something needs to happen or she will completely lose herself in the pursuit of revenge.

Just look at her reaction, if she ever reunites with Gendry again, that part of her will be reborn again.
I want Gendry to come back too. Not for Arya's sake but boy his arms must be tired.

Non-joking I think Jon could possibly be a good influence on her also.

Heshinsi

You guys seriously need to give up on Gendyr. He was probably killed off screen by him getting eaten by a kraken or something.

Zereta

I've been holding off rewatching the show because my girlfriend knows nothing about Game of Thrones besides me going crazy about it and once the summer is over, we'll be watching all of it again.

But man, I forgot how awesome Gendry was and how much I want him back in the show.

There's no way that's happening at this point, right? I feel like if he was to play a big role, we would have seen some inkling of him in the season finale.

Everything in the show is progessing full steam ahead there is probably no hope they'll slow down and get Gendry back.

Heshinsi

Thats why he is not suited to be a commander. If he wanted to be suicidal he is welcomed alone. Don't bring all your mans to die futile dead.T_T

I find it incredible that the entire reason we even got the "king in the North" scene was because of LF. If he doesn't send Sansa a raven telling her he's sorry and on her side, no more Northern army. If Sansa doesn't send him a notice for help in time, no more Northern forces. How indebted are they to LF?

I hope Dany's boat sinks and she's never seen again.

Even lost in the middle of the ocean, Jorah will find her ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gendry is done, in my opinion. His relevance and value was linked to being a Baratheon bastard, and with their armies decimated and Stannis slaughtered, along with the political landscape of King's Landing having long lost Baratheon relevance, I can't imagine must narrative substance in his return. I thought they might be going somewhere with it, but eh.

But this show does like digging up characters they've left abandoned so who knows.

Vagabundo

Rheagar Targaryen has probably wept rivers up in heaven watching his little boy mistreated at the hands of that hateful woman named Cat. Where was Jon when the family gathered to eat? Right over there in the corner where bastards belonged. How was he treated when he wanted to say goodbye to Bran? "I wish it was you in his spot!" Disgusting. And honourable Ned Stark allowed his wife to mistreat an innocent child who grow up believing that he indeed was the walking, talking, breathing symbol of his "father's" shame. Just because Jon has a heart of gold, and is forgiving, doesn't mean it's forgotten. He's the Harry potter of the North.

Ned Stark did what he did so there would never be a question about Jon's heritage. If there was ever a whiff Jon was Targaryen he would have been killed. Jon will be smart enough to figure that out.

Einchy

Jon Snow
Jon Sand
Jon Stark
Jon Targaryen
The White Wolf
King in the North
Lord Commander
The Prince that was Promised

Jon is gonna have more titles than Dany by the end of the show.

Corpekata

Banned
As was said the episode "at least you had feasts"

Jon's life may not have been as good as his siblings but it was probably better than 90 percent of the people in Westeros and certainly better than most bastards. Certainly not "living in a closet" Harry Potter tier.

Palpable

I see some mad disrespect being leveled at the Sweet Voice of Westeros, the Man of Melody, the Most Beautiful Man in the World, the People's Prince. No one else in Westeros has to share their child's surname with that of the child's mother. No one else has people reminding him, "but your child is also part ____." Are the Stark kids constantly counted as both Stark and Tully? Nope. Is Sweet Robin referred to as the Tit Sucker of Houses Aryn and Tully? Nope. And what about the late Baratheon brothers, is their mother's family alluded to by anyone when their names are mentioned? Nope.

I haven't seen season 1 in years. Did Cat really treat him badly? You'd think Ned would trust his wife and tell her the truth so she wouldn't think him a cheater.

Einchy

I haven't seen season 1 in years. Did Cat really treat him badly? You'd think Ned would trust his wife and tell her the truth so she wouldn't think him a cheater.
She wished that baby Jon would die and then he fell ill, almost died and Cat prayed that if he got better, he would treat him as her own. After baby Jon Snuuu recovered, she didn't keep her promise to the Gods and still hated and treated Jon like shit, she believes that because she didn't keep her promise, that the gods are punishing her family.

Palpable

Oh she hated him alright. Plenty of moaning about him is S1, but also this in S3

https://youtu.be/0k_HWCIT8nY?t=87

She wished that baby Jon would die and then he fell ill, almost died and Cat prayed that if he got better, he would treat him as her own. After baby Jon Snuuu recovered, she didn't keep her promise to the Gods and still hated and treated Jon like shit, she believes that because she didn't keep her promise, that the gods are punishing her family.

Totally forgot about all that. Seems odd that Ned wouldn't tell Cat the truth.

Totally forgot about all that. Seems odd that Ned wouldn't tell Cat the truth.
It would seem odd if she was totally cool with this bastard he brought home from the war. Plus he wouldnt have to ask her to lie about it. He took it all on himself, and like Melisandra said John did not have it so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom