• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Alt Shift X has some speculation about the final episode regarding Davos and Mel..
he seems to think that Longclaw might ignite after Jon executes Mel. After thinking about it maybe well get a POV shot from Mel after her decapitation where she sees Azor Ahai be born and her bodyless head smiles in the seconds it takes for a severed head to completely die lol Not sure about my POV shot idea but i can see the fiery sword being a season finale closing scene.

Dai101

Banned
From Reddit.

Jon's story in 'Battle of the Bastards' isn't what people think.

Pretty decent read if anyone is interested.

giphy.gif

Interesting

http://io9.gizmodo.com/and-now-the-important-news-how-the-brexit-will-impact-1782576270

HBO officially states that the bollocks over in the UK won't hamper the show at all.

w0omtup.jpg

Neospartan

Neo Member
Alt Shift X has some speculation about the final episode regarding Davos and Mel..
he seems to think that Longclaw might ignite after Jon executes Mel. After thinking about it maybe well get a POV shot from Mel after her decapitation where she sees Azor Ahai be born and her bodyless head smiles in the seconds it takes for a severed head to completely die lol Not sure about my POV shot idea but i can see the fiery sword being a season finale closing scene.

That would be very sweet, but I don't think so. You have to keep in mind that Game of Thrones is very feminist, the books even more so. So I don't think it will be Jon that ends up being Azor Ahai.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope Jon gets to reunite with a family member that actually loves him next season whether that's Bran or Arya.

Gotta imagine Bran will head South soon, right? Being North just puts him in constant danger since he's marked and I cannot imagine there's much for him to do now that The Three Eyed Raven is dead.

I think next episode we will see a lot of plotlines finally merging to Westeros. Bran could head South to Jon and Sansa, White Walkers could finally have the means to cross The Wall, Arya already said she's heading home and Dany finally has the boats and Meereen is safe so there's nothing holding her back but her own self. I'll be extremely surprised if none of those things happen on Sunday.

televator

Jon's story is classic hero's journey. The gods chose him but he doubts and turns away from his role. He then reluctantly plays his role, goes through a dark period of trail, and eventually becomes "reborn" and awakens his true potential.

Volimar

Jon's story is classic hero's journey. The gods chose him but he doubts and turns away from his role. He then reluctantly plays his role, goes through a dark period of trail, and eventually becomes "reborn" and awakens his true potential.

And then gets gutted like a fish by the Night King. Smash go the beetles. The End.

Einchy

Jon is going to fuck up Night King so bad and then he's gonna fuck Dany and make awesome dragon babies.

Zetta

Jon is going to fuck up Night King so bad and then he's gonna fuck Dany and make awesome dragon babies.

I don't know about dragon babies but I can see that happening. All I want is Jon to be happy at the end of it all, I mean he has been through a hell of a lot.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Why
would Jon execute Mel when it's Stannis who allowed Shireen to be sacrificed?
Davos being a hypocrite is annoying me. Only when people he likes are killed and/or sacrificed does he have a problem. Using shadow babies to kill one's own brother? For the good of the realm! Burning in laws who refuse to believe in new god? For the good of the realm! Blood leeches to curse rival kings? For the good of the realm! Let's burn Gendry/Shireen for the good of the realm? No, anything but this! This is where Davos draws the line. Stannis was a fucked up man and you followed him like the loyal puppy you are bro.

Gotta imagine Bran will head South soon, right? Being North just puts him in constant danger since he's marked and I cannot imagine there's much for him to do now that The Three Eyed Raven is dead.

I think next episode we will see a lot of plotlines finally merging to Westeros. Bran could head South to Jon and Sansa, White Walkers could finally have the means to cross The Wall, Arya already said she's heading home and Dany finally has the boats and Meereen is safe so there's nothing holding her back but her own self. I'll be extremely surprised if none of those things happen on Sunday.

If he meets up with Bran he will most likely meet up with UB as well, who also seems to love Jon quite a bit.

I can see it now.

Jon, Bran and Uncle Benjen have just arrived yelled Sansa anxiously. Jon, without hesitation unsheathes Longclaw and with a swift swing beheads Sansa, runs out into the Winterfell courtyard, severed head in hand yelling, WHO'S NEXT!

Einchy

Poor Jon has Uncle Benjen PTSD now.

[edit]

Finished watching season 2 episode 1 with my sister tonight.

While watching the show she constantly said how much she liked Drogo and Ned so when they both died she cried like a baby. I expect lots of tears when the Red Wedding happens and when Jon dies, since she loves Cat, Jon and Robb.

Poor Jon has Uncle Benjen PTSD now.

[edit]

Finished watching season 2 episode 1 with my sister tonight.

While watching the show she constantly said how much she liked Drogo and Ned so when they both died she cried like a baby. I expect lots of tears when the Red Wedding happens and when Jon dies, since she loves Cat, Jon and Robb.
Was waiting for you to update us on her reaction haha. Man...

Why
would Jon execute Mel when it's Stannis who allowed Shireen to be sacrificed?
Davos being a hypocrite is annoying me. Only when people he likes are killed and/or sacrificed does he have a problem. Using shadow babies to kill one's own brother? For the good of the realm! Burning in laws who refuse to believe in new god? For the good of the realm! Blood leeches to curse rival kings? For the good of the realm! Let's burn Gendry/Shireen for the good of the realm? No, anything but this! This is where Davos draws the line. Stannis was a fucked up man and you followed him like the loyal puppy you are bro.

I dont think he knew about the shadow baby, or blood leeches, or Shireen before they happened.

He tried to save Gendry and also tried to stop that ceremony where they were burning people. Isnt that why Stannis cut his hand?

He has had a difference of opinion with the red witch all the time as far as I can remember.

He tried to save Gendry and also tried to stop that ceremony where they were burning people. Isnt that why Stannis cut his hand?

Um...no? They establish super clearly why he had some of his fingers cut off, it was because of his criminal past which was before the events of the show.

Einchy

Yeah, he was gonna kill Davos because he let Gendry go but then he told them about the White Walker letter and Meli realized the true war was not about being King but defeating the WWs. They ended up letting Davos live since they would need someone as smart as Davos to help them unite more houses and whatnot for the war.

Was waiting for you to update us on her reaction haha. Man...

She wiped her tears, sobbed and whimpered "whyyy" and then said something like, "what the fuck is with this show!?".

Ima hype up Oberyn so his death hurts even more. Hell, it's been 2 years and I'm still salty as fuck that Oberyn died...

She wiped her tears, sobbed and whimpered "whyyy" and then said something like, "what the fuck is with this show!?".

Ima hype up Oberyn so his death hurts even more. Hell, it's been 2 years and I'm still salty as fuck that Oberyn died...
"We need to take a break."

HarryKS

They'll probably reveal it next season, when he meets Daenerys and the dragons act weird around him.

Too early.

Um...no? They establish super clearly why he had some of his fingers cut off, it was because of his criminal past which was before the events of the show.

haha, yeah I got that wrong.

However, Im still pretty sure that Davos has always had conflicting opinion to Meli, its not like he has agreed with some of the things she has done but disagreed with others.

Targs weren't too shy about keeping in the family lol.

That being said, I don't see Jon and Dany's narrative arcs going that route.
Honestly the J+D shipping isn't so bad in comparison to what I heard
dont know if this is true but apparently GRRM is a fan of John and Arya getting together after he learns about R+l=J.
If that happens were gonna need all the NOPES.

Einchy

Something that I've always wondered about and have been reminded of since I watched season 1 recently, why was Dany's baby half dragon and human? Couldn't find the scene on Youtube but it was said he had scaly skin, wings like a bat and his inners were filled with worms.

One could say the baby was malformed because of the dark magic the witch did but that magic was only to keep Drogo alive and had nothing to do with Dany's baby or the dragon eggs, so why did he come out half dragon?

It would seem like Dany is the only Targaryen who is fired proof since no one in history seems to talk about past Targaryens having this power and her own brother didn't have this ability either, so why does she?

Does she have the spirit of a dragon? Can she actually ever bare human children?

zoukka

This new season has been terrible so far. The whole deal with mereen, Daenarys, grey worm/translator just feels so goddamn slow and forced and cringeworthy. Whenever anyone of these characters speak I want to kill something.

Have the writers changed or something?

UrbanRats

This new season has been terrible so far. The whole deal with mereen, Daenarys, grey worm/translator just feels so goddamn slow and forced and cringeworthy. Whenever anyone of these characters speak I want to kill something.

Have the writers changed or something?

Uh? That whole arc hasn't been great for long while (probably never, but i don't want to go that far).

Besides, this season was leagues ahead Season 5.

Matty77

That vice principals show might be good.
I am actually hyped for this. I am a big fan of Danny Mcbride and the first 3 seasons of eastbound and down were my favorite comedy televison.

Plus Bill Murray is in it for at least slightly longer than a cameo and he's one of the rare actors that only seems to pick projects he believes in.

Still, even if it's my favorite comedy ever nothing on any channel really scratches the same itch during that one year wait between ten episode seasons of GOT.

zoukka

Uh? That whole arc hasn't been great for long while (probably never, but i don't want to go that far).

True it was shit before also. It's not moving anywhere. This season feels weird, many old characters feel out of character. Many story choices feel illogical and unsatisfying. There's just something off with the whole thing. Jon's resurrection was done so bad I couldn't believe my eyes. No high stakes, no consequences, "woops it seems I can resurrect people, cool!, now let's forget about it".

Terrible.

borborygmus

True it was shit before also. It's not moving anywhere. This season feels weird, many old characters feel out of character. Many story choices feel illogical and unsatisfying. There's just something off with the whole thing. Jon's resurrection was done so bad I couldn't believe my eyes. No high stakes, no consequences, "woops it seems I can resurrect people, cool!, now let's forget about it".

Terrible.

I particularly liked how nonchalant the traitors were just before they got hanged. I'd describe their reaction as "annoyance." It was like "ugh he's back. Oh well, guess I had a good run."

UrbanRats

Terrible.

There were good moments, and terrible ones, i think.
And i agree that Jon resurrection definitely wasn't a good one (brushed off so casually).
I wouldn't call it terrible though, on the whole.

Nameless

Dany's arc was great in S1 and S3.

At the very least S6 is miles better than the last two: Tyrion and Varys playing the game, Dany starting to interweave her super powers, Kinvara The Flame of Truth, alliance with House Greyjoy, top tier dragon CG. Some have clearly made up their mind to dislike all things Dany, which is fine, watch how you want, but Essos has provided some of the best moments of the season and it's been a few years since I could say that.

also Reign,

rambis

Banned
Mrmm. I've been making many of the same arguments for weeks now, but I disagree that Jon was been reborn at the end of that episode. Jon lost his sense of purpose, and this season shows it clearly. Now that he has Winterfell he ESPECIALLY has no purpose.

This sounds poetic, but I can't agree with the ending of it at all. Jon doesn't have any fire. What he has is no reason to go on. Nothing to do. The rebirth will occur when he regains this sense of purpose, which will surely be him rallying people against the white walkers.

Don't agree with any of this. I can say he didn't have a purpose maybe the first couple episodes but after meeting Sansa and Davis it'd pretty clear. Retake Winterfell and reunite the North like only a "Stark" can and prepare the North to take on the Walkers. Very cut and dry. He clearly has something to do.

zoukka

They are in a tight spot with Dany. Nobody gives a fuck about the Dothraki, nobody gives a fuck about the slave/slaver sub-plot, not to mention the worst character in the series; Greyworm. Dany has been doing the same shit for so many seasons, that people just want to rewind every scene she is in spelling her titles to yet another nation that tries to rape her and ends up dead. Just get on with the plot and get her ass on westeros. Tyrion is a prisoner of this problem now too.

The religious fanatics in Kings Landing is the only thing that holds my interest in S6 now. (I just watched the sixth ep).

jediyoshi

From Reddit.

Jon's story in 'Battle of the Bastards' isn't what people think.

Pretty decent read if anyone is interested.

This would ring more to me if the director didn't already say they shot a lot of the battle sequence off its original script.

The religious fanatics in Kings Landing is the only thing that holds my interest in S6 now. (I just watched the sixth ep).

Over the Whitewalkers? That's amazing seeing as that storyline has stagnated even more than Dany's.

-griffy-

Banned
This would ring more to me if the director didn't already say they shot a lot of the battle sequence off its original script.

Just because they had to change the logistics of what they could shoot doesn't mean what they replaced it with isn't conveying the same intent as the original idea.

rambis

Banned
They are in a tight spot with Dany. Nobody gives a fuck about the Dothraki, nobody gives a fuck about the slave/slaver sub-plot, not to mention the worst character in the series; Greyworm. Dany has been doing the same shit for so many seasons, that people just want to rewind every scene she is in spelling her titles to yet another nation that tries to rape her and ends up dead. Just get on with the plot and get her ass on westeros. Tyrion is a prisoner of this problem now too.

You should probably watch the rest. I'm fairly certain she'll be on the way to Westeros by the end of this season or early next season.

She's insanely powerful now.

zoukka

Over the Whitewalkers? That's amazing seeing as that storyline has stagnated even more than Dany's.

What are the whitewalkers but a traditional apocalypse-time bomb plot device? Sure they look cool, but there's nothing interesting about them.

UrbanRats

Dany's arc was great in S1 and S3.

At the very least S6 is miles better than the last two: Tyrion and Varys playing the game, Dany starting to interweave her super powers, Kinvara The Flame of Truth, alliance with House Greyjoy, top tier dragon CG. Some have clearly made up their mind to dislike all things Dany, which is fine, watch how you want, but Essos has provided some of the best moments of the season and it's been a few years since I could say that.

also Reign,
That's a convenient way to deflect criticism.

Varys and Tyrion have done very little of worth, and aren't playing any "game", they feel, infact severely dumbed down (mostly 'cause they waste 40% of their screen time making jokes about dwarfs and having no cock, oh and drinking).

Daenerys did what she has always done, big, empty speeches, being awful at politics, and solving the day with her Dragons Ex Machinas (which are at least cool to see, i'll give you that).

But that wouldn't be that bad, if we hadn't had this for the last 3 seasons, essentially.
It's time to move the fuck on.

Daenerys arc started good, but essentially hit a brick wall when she became the "freer of slaves" and started sitting on her ass, waiting for ships.

Window

What are the whitewalkers but a traditional apocalypse-time bomb plot device? Sure they look cool, but there's nothing interesting about them.

They're clearly (clearly) an allegory on global warming (cooling in this case...). Everybody except a few ignore their existence and the doom they bring to the human race.

You're right. The show has very much drifted to focusing on spectacle and thrills for the past few seasons but the execution (from a production stand point) has been good enough to keep me interested. I think the show (from the start) rarely ever delved deeply into its characters. But through the scale of it, juggling so many storylines (which have suffered in consistency) and characters, with truly fantastic production values it manages to create a great illusion of a living breathing world which is impressive to behold and fun to watch. It's escapist entertainment at its finest
(well not finest but done quite well)

rambis

Banned
That's a convenient way to deflect criticism.

Varys and Tyrion have done very little of worth, and aren't playing any "game", they feel, infact severely dumbed down (mostly 'cause they waste 40% of their screen time making jokes about dwarfs and having no cock, oh and drinking).

Daenerys did what she has always done, big, empty speeches, being awful at politics, and solving the day with her Dragons Ex Machinas (which are at least cool to see, i'll give you that).

But that wouldn't be that bad, if we hadn't had this for the last 3 seasons, essentially.
It's time to move the fuck on.

Daenerys arc started good, but essentially hit a brick wall when she became the "freer of slaves" and started sitting on her ass, waiting for ships.

These are convenient criticisms. Tyrion had at least stabilized the city which was about to be full on civil war. I hate that it didn't last but he certainly has done things. Varys hasn't did anything but he's also not there anymore so Idk why he still matters.

I feel like because she just hasn't sailed to Westeros people have looked over her whole plot. She's been shoring up an incredible amount of power. She's gone from a poor girl sent basically into slavery to now having people travel halfway around the world to serve her. Dragons have grown to where they need to be to conquer a city. Has several factions of what is said to be some of the strongest armies. And now has Westeros' strongest fleet tripping over themselves to fight for her.

Outside of plot, IDK how anybody could possibly stop her from conquering Westeros. It's very exciting because you know something is going to go very wrong.

UrbanRats

You mean like what they are doing.

...any day now.

I feel like because she just hasn't sailed to Westeros people have looked over her whole plot. She's been shoring up an incredible amount of power. She's gone from a poor girl sent basically into slavery to now having people travel halfway around the world to serve her. Dragons have grown to where they need to be to conquer a city. Has several factions of what is said to be some of the strongest armies. And now has Westeros' strongest fleet tripping over themselves to fight for her.

Most of those things happened a while ago.
Moreover, amounting armies isn't all that interesting to see, when her character didn't grow much at all, ever since Drogo died and she became "badass queen of dragons".
She learnt very little, and matured very little.

That is why most of the scenes with her drag on, not just because she hasn't sailed west.

Compare her to someone like Sansa, (despite the stupid setback, last season) and how much she has changed, that's why Sansa's arc is more interesting to see.
Look at all Cersei has gone through, Jamie (even though they sort of backtracked for no reason in this season) etc etc.

"But the dragons are growing" isn't a good defense for her arc being an interesting one, lol.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rewatching this season and the accepted history of what happened thats shown during the play got me to thinking. We know a dragon flies over Kings Landing and the city is intact. If Cersei blows up the city with wild fire during this flyover i can easily see Dany taking the blame for the destruction of Kings Landing.

I'll just say the Danerys storyline and Arya storyline are fucking GRATING

all she does is sit around and mereen. It should have been a slow crawl then when the reaches the western coast she takes all of her influence and goes to westeros. Instead we have a boring ass storyline that has been stuck in 1st gear for the last few years.

And Arya's storyline should have been condensed into one year, so fucking boring, time could've been spent elsewhere.

Neospartan

Neo Member
Honestly the J+D shipping isn't so bad in comparison to what I heard
dont know if this is true but apparently GRRM is a fan of John and Arya getting together after he learns about R+l=J.
If that happens were gonna need all the NOPES.

Actually, GRRM WAS planning to put those characters together from the start, but eventually decided against it. Don't think it will happen, though, so don't worry.

rambis

Banned
...any day now.

Most of those things happened a while ago.
Moreover, amounting armies isn't all that interesting to see, when her character didn't grow much at all, ever since Drogo died and she became "badass queen of dragons".
She learnt very little, and matured very little.

That is why most of the scenes with her drag on, not just because she hasn't sailed west.

Compare her to someone like Sansa, (despite the stupid setback, last season) and how much she has changed, that's why Sansa's arc is more interesting to see.
Look at all Cersei has gone through, Jamie (even though they sort of backtracked for no reason in this season) etc etc.

"But the dragons are growing" isn't a good defense for her arc being an interesting one, lol.
No, they we're mostly this season?

You should probably speak for yourself though. Dany is by far one of the most popular characters in the show. Just because you don't find her come uppance interesting doesn't mean millions of others feel the same way. I'm really not defending anything, nothing needs to be defended .

Dany has been through a lot. Sold into slavery by her only brother after her family has been all but destroyed . The shocking realization that she can never have children.
Growing attachment for her husband and instantly having him taken out. Conquering cities to later come to the realization that that is the easy part. Being able to forgive Mr friend zone after finding out he was a spy . She's had considerable growth , just not the cliché getting raped or publicly shamed flavor. She's learned a great deal. Outside of maybe Jon, she's probably the best fit left for the Iron throne. Not that it matters much anymore .

When people say objectively wrong things, ie "omg nothing has happened " then I correct but I don't have to defend Dany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom