• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeEighty

One thing that annoys me a little is that the show takes the agency for the Dornish alliance with Daenerys out of the hands of the level-headed Prince Doran (as in the books) and puts it into the hands of the brash, hot-headed Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes.

Part of me thinks the only reason they did this was because they really wanted that scene where Lady Olenna dresses down the Sand Snakes. Having Doran be behind the plot makes a lot more sense.

Corpekata

Banned
Pycelle was likely killed where he was to frame him for the explosion. He's the only member of the small council from season 2 around besides Cersei to have likely had knowledge of the wildfire so they can pin it on him. Only reason I can think of to single him out and not just let him die in the blast.

Saerk

So Arya did walk away from her training with more than just an ability to fight in the dark. She can do the Faceless voodoo. What a perfect way to end Walder Frey.

I don't like her, but watching the rise of Sith Lord Cersei was awesome. Great costume design. She's officially back in the game with her dark maester on one side, and her frankenknight on the other.

I couldn't tell if Sansa was pleased or unsettled with the North siding with Jon as king. At first she seemed ok with it, but I'm wondering if Littlefinger is in her head. The final shot showed her expression change.

It looked to me that she and little finger were eyeing each other that she should be the one on the throne, and that he is still an option toward the iron throne.

About Bran's story line with the tower

It's confirmed that Jon Snow's mother is Lyanna. What about his father?

I thought his father was Ned, but it could be possible that Jon Snow only has Stark blood from Lyanna and not Ned Stark.

Who is Jon Snow's father?

Pycelle was likely killed where he was to frame him for the explosion. He's the only member of the small council from season 2 around besides Cersei to have likely had knowledge of the wildfire so they can pin it on him. Only reason I can think of to single him out and not just let him die in the blast.
Hard to frame when you're stabbed to death in a very obvious murder

Kaizer

Banned
Man, still can't believe Margaery is gone, I loved her character so much. Gonna miss not seeing Natalie Dormer on the show. That scene with Cersei was amazing, haven't had a TV show leave me with my jaw hanging open after a scene since Breaking Bad!

sangreal

That could work, but I assumed he was killed because he was responsible for interpreting the laws and would never crown Cercei

Corpekata

Banned

True, but what other reason for it? Cersei hated him but she also hated a lot of the others that died in the blast quite a bit more. Not like anyone out of her control is going to see the body.

That could work, but I assumed he was killed because he was responsible for interpreting the laws and would never crown Cercei

The explosion would take care of that either way.

AgeEighty

Also: instead of having the little birds stab Pycelle to death, they totally should have had Qyburn make him drink poison that causes him to shrivel and die. It would be right up Qyburn's alley and it would be a nice little nod to Julian Glover's other most famous role.

Someone earlier in the thread predicted the last scene of the finale down to every detail lol. Dany crossing the narrow sea on her ships. Dragons overhead. Scene fades to black. Dragon screech. Exactly! Who was that?! Come forth and claim your prize!

Jonm1010

Banned
As to the whole 6-7 episodes a season thing. Has there been any indication a lot of those episodes will be elongated ones like tonight?

If not thats pretty disappointing. Seems like so much ground to still cover in not a lot of space.

Kind of feels like a regression to the early season where they realized they kinda rushed stuff and then slowed it back down.

Werd

episodes 7 and 8 sucked really hard

I said cinematography, not overall quality of the episodes. 7 & 8 had some fantastic establishment shots (Bear Island, etc.) and were generally very good looking, don't know what to tell you if you actually mean they looked bad.

As for the quality of the episodes, I agree with the general consensus of Arya's plot being very poorly done which is rather bad as a conclusion to a two season plot arc for a major character, but other than that had a lot of good stuff.

TyrantII

Don't forget Hodor's episode too! That whole episode was amazing.

Btw, has it been confirmed how many seasons are left now? Feels like there is too much to do to wrap it up in just one more season.

Next season the King of the North and the Queen of the known world will March both directions to kings landing.

The last episode will be the white walkers and Night King breaching the wall.

Last season is Dany and Jon facing the mortal threat to man.

There's really not much to do.

Respect

History is written by the victors!

Next season the King of the North and the Queen of the known world will March both directions to kings landing.

The last episode will be the white walkers and Night King breaching the wall.

Last season is Dany and Jon facing the mortal threat to man.

There's really not much to do.

My guess is the North will just focus preparing for the whitewalkers unless the Lannister's march on them before Dany arrives.

Sajjaja

About Bran's story line with the tower

It's confirmed that Jon Snow's mother is Lyanna. What about his father?

I thought his father was Ned, but it could be possible that Jon Snow only has Stark blood from Lyanna and not Ned Stark.

Who is Jon Snow's father?

lol where have you been?

Jon Sno's dad is Rhaegar Targaryen, Daenerys' brother. The whole story where he kidnapped Lyanna is seemingly a lie, they eloped and loved each other. Ned promised Lyanna as her dying wish that he would protect Jon, since they both knew Robert would kill him in an instant knowing that he is a Targaryen.

How can anyone possibly think that Sansa is going to betray Jon somehow?
Creators seem to be implying it from their insights on episode 10 on the GOT YouTube channel.

I didn't really see that at all from their interactions I guess if she wants to rule and be Queen can't rule it out.
Can't see Jon being used as a pawn for her gain this far along in the show though.
I bet she just outsmarts Littlefinger.

aBarreras

I said cinematography, not overall quality of the episodes. 7 & 8 had some fantastic establishment shots (Bear Island, etc.) and were generally very good looking, don't know what to tell you if you actually mean they looked bad.

As for the quality of the episodes, I agree with the general consensus of Arya's plot being very poorly done which is rather bad as a conclusion to a two season plot arc for a major character, but other than that had a lot of good stuff.

well, for example, i think that episode 9 was kinda predictable, but the cinematography was fucking on point, thats why its a great episode, with episode 7 and 8, not even a decent cinematography could save them, oh well, the one with the hound reveal was kinda good,

but cinematography on 9 and 10 are just above everything else in the season

HMD

As to the whole 6-7 episodes a season thing. Has there been any indication a lot of those episodes will be elongated ones like tonight?

If not thats pretty disappointing. Seems like so much ground to still cover in not a lot of space.

Kind of feels like a regression to the early season where they realized they kinda rushed stuff and then slowed it back down.

Killing off so many characters plus shortening the two remaining seasons must mean some sort of budget control. Upcoming winter episodes must be a lot more expensive to shoot, I expect every episode to look like episode 9 & 10 from this season.

Nerokis

I hate myself for watching this episode. It's such a personal failure that I didn't turn away halfway through, when it was already clear I was witnessing divinity manifest within this fatally flawed world. I wasn't ready to appreciate it, and I certainly wasn't worthy of it. But I let it wash over me anyway, even as I knew I could only possibly diminish it.

All I can offer are stupid observations like "Isn't it cool that there's now a Targaryan King and a Targaryan Queen ruling in the world?" and "I love that 'who will marry Danny?' is a lingering question now" and "Holy shit, Cersei is kinda admirable in a terrifying way" and "Back to the marriage question, it should be Tyrion, and the fact that it won't be is a huge injustice."

I love this show. I love so much that it's managed to reach these heights, even as it's navigated post-book territory. Season 6 wasn't perfect by any means, but I'll be more than happy for the next however many episodes to basically capture its quality.

TyrantII

They're doing it so the budget per episode goes up. This season saw a huge jump in FX and cinematography, and I'm betting they're planning on going out strong.

Apparently the original source was from Reddit, which outlined the major beats of Season 6 well in advance:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=795697

Someone earlier in the thread predicted the last scene of the finale down to every detail lol. Dany crossing the narrow sea on her ships. Dragons overhead. Scene fades to black. Dragon screech. Exactly! Who was that?! Come forth and claim your prize!

Come forth so we can all yell shame towards you for spoiling shit for people.

Man its still crazy thinking about the Tyrells were wiped off the map in one swoop like that. Poor Margaery even saw it coming

Yup. She figured it out quite quickly and yet still couldn't even get away herself, damn.

I liked when The Sparrow realizes Cersei is playing with a different set of rules than him, very brief moment.

Yeah.

Not enough!

Yeah. They should extend it a bit if they need to (like some other things have done). Somehow I feel like one of either this final multi-sided battle or the upcoming war with the white walkers might not get as much time as it deserves. They both deserve the proper time they need and after all the fear about the walkers I really don't want that to be too short. In many things that could have been a series of its own lol.

SEASON 6 FINAL BODY COUNT

Aero Hotah
Doran Martell
Trystane Martell
Roose Bolton
Walda Frey
Balon Greyjoy
First Steward Marsh
First Builder Yarwyck
First Ranger Ser Alister Thorne
Olly
Shaggydog
Osha
Khal Moro
Three Eyed Raven
Leaf (and the Children of the Forest)
Summer
Hodor
Septon Ray
Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully
Lady Crane
The Waif
Rickon Stark
Smalljon Umber
Wun Wun
Ramsay Bolton
Grand Maester Pycell
Lancel Lannister
High Sparrow
Mace Tyrell
Loras Tyrell
Margaery Tyrell
Kevan Lannister
Septa Unella
Tommen Baratheon
Walder Frey
Lothar Frey
Black Walder Frey

I can't believe there'a a show that manages to kill so many people and still have characters left.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So who the fuck is gonna stop, Dany? She is about to STEAMROLL her way to the throne.

Unsullied army? Check
Dorneish army? Check
Dothraki army? Check
Tyrell army? Check
Greyjoy fleet? Check
Motherfucking DRAGONS. Triple Check

WHO IS GOING TO EVEN OPPOSE THIS OP ASS SQUAD??? The Lannister army? Please.

The only thing Dany is gonna have to really try against is the White Walkers and their "Winter Cometh" fuckery.

Kickz

Kind of a let down episode compared to the last one..

- Whoever called the Cercei wild fire in this thread was spot on, so I expected that to come

- After Dany's awesome ep last week, she reverted to her boring scenes with a breakup

- The highlight of the ep was definitely Arya, finally being a badass

-LittleFinger play for Sansa was lame

-Why did they have to bring Dorne back, just when we were beginning to forget....

Question I have is what was Jon's mother whispering to Ned???
Did Ned pull a Lannister and impregnate his own blood?

valeu

Cersei killed it! All day I was imagining ways for the High Sparrow
to die
...hoping that something good would go down and Cersei delivered. Fantastic finale from first shot to the end

rokkerkory

So who the fuck is gonna stop, Dany? She is about to STEAMROLL her way to the throne.

Unsullied army? Check
Dorneish army? Check
Dothraki army? Check
Tyrell army? Check
Greyjoy fleet? Check
Motherfucking DRAGONS. Triple Check

WHO IS GOING TO EVEN OPPOSE THIS OP ASS SQUAD??? The Lannister army? Please.

The only thing Dany is gonna have to really try against is the White Walkers and their "Winter Cometh" fuckery.

Cersei will have her say i bet somehow that bitch is evil.

Lannisters will unite with the WW? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom