• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsynqx

Accurate?

Cl9-NFTUgAAUhfA.jpg

https://twitter.com/plante/status/747454901521788929

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Oh, also, what are you guys hoping for the end of the show?

This may be a little sadistic of me, but I really hope we get some sort of sad, bittersweet, or ironic ending. I know it's nice for some people to get their Lord of the Rings style closing segments, where everything has a pretty bow on it, but I kind of hate happy endings. Something kinda dark (but with purpose) would make me incredibly happy.

Accurate?

Cl9-NFTUgAAUhfA.jpg

Personally I would give higher than that. Season 6 is my favorite. There were some slow moments but this one season had 3 of the best episodes in the history of this show. The Door, 9, and 10.

Also Season 1 isn't the best of the early seasons either

Shredderi

Genuinely surprised that there were people who misinterpreted the "KING OF THE NORTH!" scene with Sansa. She is fully behind Jon but got worried when she noticed Littlefinger's visibly unhappy face right after he had confessed to her that he wanted the throne and her. She knows exactly what LF can do and is (finally) wise enough to be worried about him.

mcfrank

So, no one has a problem with the Dothraki conveniently and blindly dropping their life to fight for Dany?

I also just realized that they'd make great fodder for the Others. They number 10s of thousands, dont they?

It has been well established that the dothraki do the following things:

1.) Move as a horde
2.) Follow the most powerful person they can find
3.) Would need to see someone exceptionally powerful to follow across the salt sea (they cheered when Drogo said they would and they are doing it for Dany)

Their current actions fit within all of those parameters.

Oh, also, what are you guys hoping for the end of the show?

This may be a little sadistic of me, but I really hope we get some sort of sad, bittersweet, or ironic ending. I know it's nice for some people to get their Lord of the Rings style closing segments, where everything has a pretty bow on it, but I kind of hate happy endings. Something kinda dark (but with purpose) would make me incredibly happy.

I want hope at the end but in a very desolated and heart crushing setting.

Genuinely surprised that there were people who misinterpreted the "KING OF THE NORTH!" scene with Sansa. She is fully behind Jon but got worried when she noticed Littlefinger's visibly unhappy face right after he had confessed to her that he wanted the throne and her. She knows exactly what LF can do and is (finally) wise enough to be worried about him.

I really hope this is the accurate interpretation. It makes much more sense for the characters. Plus we could get some Sansa vs Littlefinger mental warfare next Season over Jon

So, no one has a problem with the Dothraki conveniently and blindly dropping their life to fight for Dany?

I also just realized that they'd make great fodder for the Others. They number 10s of thousands, dont they?

I've always had a problem with the show's repeated "crowds of brown people mindlessly kneel before Dany and do whatever she wants for some reason."

You could argue that the Dothraki also embody all the stuff Dany says she wants to end and that she also just forbade the Greyjoys from doing in the future after she takes King's Landing (raping and reaving). But, on the other hand, the Dothraki match the Targ part of Dany that wants to set fire to everyone who disagrees with her or just lives in a city she doesn't control yet, so maybe the contradiction makes sense in that way.

Nibel

I find it very difficult to believe Sansa will just outright betray Jon after everything they've been through and I really hope the show doesn't go down this path. She hasn't really shown herself to be too power hungry and this very episode she talks about how to her Jon is a Stark and not just a bastard.

Idk I would not be happy with that storyline at all. The idea of the Starks turning against each other after everything they've been through is just ugh.

I think you misunderstood the King Of The North scene

She is loyal to Jon and is happy during that scene, but then she spots Littlefinger (who is pissed since he never expected the North to rally behind Jon) and immediately notices his expression.

She isn't schemin' - she has already recognized the next danger that lies ahead: Littlefinger

-griffy-

Banned

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. She was into the moment and happy for Jon, but then saw Littlefinger being Littlefinger and started considering everything he had said. It was concern, and it was her thinking "Is Littlefinger right?" Littlefinger's been stoking that flame since he met Sansa earlier in the season, and pointedly reminded her that Jon is only her half-brother (actually cousin as it turns out, but whatevs).

It's interesting how Cersei's expression watching the explosion is none too different from Sansa and Arya getting their revenge. Not to mention reveling in the method of revenge.

Tonky

I want hope at the end but in a very desolated and heart crushing setting.
I want all the prophecy stuff to have been bullshit. No promised prince or anything of that nature, just man trying to fulfill a fake prophecy. White Walkers take out man and then live happily with the children of the forest.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

She is loyal to Jon and is happy during that scene, but then she spots Littlefinger (who is pissed since he never expected the North to rally behind Jon) and immediately notices his expression.

She isn't schemin' - she has already recognized the next danger that lies ahead: Littlefinger

Exactly. Sansa betraying Jon here makes 0 sense.

I didn't misunderstand it. That's also what I think it means but there are people theorizing that Sansa will betray him. I'm just commenting I don't want it to go down that way

HvySky

I think 4 = 1, worst season so far is 2, 5 is not even close to that.

I guess it's been a few years but I don't remember anything that awful about 2, but I'm probably due for a rewatch before season 7. Five definitely had it's highlights but it felt a bit stagnant at times.

She killed all their leaders making her the new leader and also she walked out of a burning fire alive and unharmed so they probably think she's a god or something.

Yes, but to drop everything about their culture for a foreigner? To cross the sea?

You would think one of their thoughts also include "this person is clearly a demon". Yet they all choose to drop their customs and follow her to a strange land.

It just feels so half baked. I fully hope to see the Dothraki become more than a good guy version of the White Walkers. In fact, White Walkers are probably better since they dont seem to rape anyone.

Dothraki are just this big faceless horde, yet I am sure there is nuance and differences between the many Dothraki.

We dont know their motivation or their personal gains. They just happily do Dany's bidding. They had no real reason to drop everything and go. It's not like there was a giant identity crisis with the Dothraki or a desperate need to find leadership, right? It seems they are multi-faceted with a bunch of different tribes. Are there any Dothraki left in the East?

They are also rapists and misogynistic. How can they fit into Westeros when they will just want to rape and kill?

Curufinwe

I didn't misunderstand it. That's also what I think it means but there are people theorizing that Sansa will betray him. I'm just commenting I don't want it to go down that way

There's a lot of room between betrayal and her agreeing with him on everything going forward.

Stat!

So BenJen couldn't go past the wall because like the White Walkers he is dead too? I didn't really understand why he couldn't go.

I guess it's been a few years but I don't remember anything that awful about 2, but I'm probably due for a rewatch before season 7. Five definitely had it's highlights but it felt a bit stagnant at times.

IMO, 2's main problem is that it has too many parts, moving too slowly. Not much happens except for Blackwater Bay, which is awesome.

So BenJen couldn't go past the wall because like the White Walkers he is dead too? I didn't really understand why he couldn't go.

Correct.

FinKL

It's probably been mentioned already, but can I just state how fantastic that opening track was? The piano caught me off guard at first as I'm not used to hearing that be the featured instrument in Thrones, but what a perfect song to accompany the events unfolding on-screen, with a masterful, epic (and I don't use that word lightly) build-up. Really made you feel like something huge was about to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ba_RzZu4Vw

https://open.spotify.com/track/7DbbEaULNuEe95sxVJFwXQ
I just bought a new sound bar and coming from TV speakers I was filled with joy hearing how amazing and epic the opening felt. Definitely hit the right notes

Zaptruder

Banned
I find it very difficult to believe Sansa will just outright betray Jon after everything they've been through and I really hope the show doesn't go down this path. She hasn't really shown herself to be too power hungry and this very episode she talks about how to her Jon is a Stark and not just a bastard.

Idk I would not be happy with that storyline at all. The idea of the Starks turning against each other after everything they've been through is just ugh.

The only people that are suggesting that Sansa's look at Littlefinger suggests that Sansa is betraying Jon are the people that have problems reading facial expressions and situational context.

i.e. People with low social empathy.

It was a total - 'well... this is awkward' look.

JDB

Banned
Yes, but to drop everything about their culture for a foreigner? To cross the sea?

You would think one of their thoughts also include "this person is clearly a demon". Yet they all choose to drop their customs and follow her to a strange land.

It just feels so half baked. I fully hope to see the Dothraki become more than a good guy version of the White Walkers. In fact, White Walkers are probably better since they dont seem to rape anyone.

Dothraki are just this big faceless horde, yet I am sure there is nuance and differences between the many Dothraki.

We dont know their motivation or their personal gains. They just happily do Dany's bidding. They had no real reason to drop everything and go. It's not like there was a giant identity crisis with the Dothraki or a desperate need to find leadership, right? It seems they are multi-faceted with a bunch of different tribes. Are there any Dothraki left in the East?

They are also rapists and misogynistic. How can they fit into Westeros when they will just want to rape and kill?
Welcome to Dany's storyline, where everything is both taking way too long and going way too fast.

HvySky

The Wall is imbued with magic meant to keep the Walkers at bay. Benjen was saved by the Children the same way they created the Walkers, so apparently he must abide the same rules and the magic within the Wall keeps him from crossing. I wonder if Bran crossing over could potentially leave the Wall vulnerable, though.

Shredderi

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. She was into the moment and happy for Jon, but then saw Littlefinger being Littlefinger and started considering everything he had said. It was concern, and it was her thinking "Is Littlefinger right?" Littlefinger's been stoking that flame since he met Sansa earlier in the season, and pointedly reminded her that Jon is only her half-brother (actually cousin as it turns out, but whatevs).

I disagree. I don't see Sansa being in a place of mind to worry about power politics just yet. She's finally reunited with a friendly, familiar face who she can actually trust without playing games. She's not thinking about burning that bridge because she suddenly is power hungry. I mean, it could happen but I would say it makes no sense at all and would be hands down the stupidest twist in the entire series.

HvySky

IMO, 2's main problem is that it has too many parts, moving too slowly. Not much happens except for Blackwater Bay, which is awesome.

Perhaps that's it. Maybe I'm just an inherently patient person, but generally the slower pacing of the show doesn't bother me. Season 5's pacing had different issues, though, more so than it simply being slow at times.

Dusk88

Neo Member

To me I see Dany as a person who wishes to change the "old ways". In my opinion that includes what the Dothraki stand for (including the raping and pillaging). As for their motivations, they've always been about following the strongest leader. For someone like Dany to show up that has dragons and takes control of slavers bay... she's done what other Dothraki can only dream of accomplishing. That's why I imagine they're following her.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
He's going to be the next Rian Johnson. I just hope he doesnt waste his talents in Marvel movies.

Keep him away from Justice League as well. Zach Snyder has done irreparable damage to that franchise already.

Guys, his name is Miguel Sapochnik. Remember his name because he's directed three of the best episodes the last two seasons (including last season's best, Hardhorne).

Stat!

The Wall is imbued with magic meant to keep the Walkers at bay. Benjen was saved by the Children the same way they created the Walkers, so apparently he must abide the same rules and the magic within the Wall keeps him from crossing. I wonder if Bran crossing over could potentially leave the Wall vulnerable, though.

The dead can't go south of the wall.

Yet.

Awesome all of you. Thank you.

And just to clarify, Jon Stark's mother giving birth to Jon mean he is a Targaryen (sp)?

And final question, Margaery isn't dead right? It was all a dream?

Tankard

Are people saying Sansa might betray Jon only because of the look between her and littlefinger? If it's because of that just rewatch the episode because you misinterpreted that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom