• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't lured, the kid made a mistake.

Even then it was pretty stupid plot device for this faith militant to get fucked by a random little kid. Oh well we needed the scene where he crawls and tries to extinguish the candles.

Yea that was dodgy. I just assumed it was a poisoned blade.

Sober

So is Varys being in Dorne and then immediately in Slavers Bay a result of cutting for time or are there multiple Varyses?
Varys being in Dorne and then leaving with Dany's fleet are probably months apart. The only for sure timing we have when he is in Dorne is him leaving Mereen last episode and Olenna mourning/vowing revenge on Cersei for the the wildfire bombing.

neoism

IMO Jon is too dumb to be the King.. he has the same flaws as Ned and already died once. Gotta go with team Danaerys + Tyrion

ive always liked the starks and was teamdany for like s2-5 but she is sooo played out its just boring now...
teamstarks fo lyfe

Why did that Little Bird lure....oh fuck I can't remember his name but hte Faith Militant down to the Wildfire? I can't work out a reason other than Cersei almost giving him a chance to save the High Sparrow etc.

I'd imagine there were two main reasons; the first was to punish him for what Lancel Lannister (the guy) had done to Cersei, and I'd assume Lancel leaving was also a signal to light the candles (perhaps not, it's just what I think makes sense).

Why did that Little Bird lure....oh fuck I can't remember his name but hte Faith Militant down to the Wildfire? I can't work out a reason other than Cersei almost giving him a chance to save the High Sparrow etc.

Epic moment demands a sacrifice, Little birds got corrupted and use weapons now I wonder how Varys will reach to that

Varys being in Dorne and then leaving with Dany's fleet are probably months apart. The only for sure timing we have when he is in Dorne is him leaving Mereen last episode and Olenna mourning/vowing revenge on Cersei for the the wildfire bombing.
Edit: nvm I'm still confused

Even then it was pretty stupid plot device for this faith militant to get fucked by a random little kid. Oh well we needed the scene where he crawls and tries to extinguish the candles.

Oh, ok.

The way I saw it was like he was lured but it made no sense.

Lancel seemed so much more...human than stony faced zealot, but I liked his MGS4 style crawl to the candles. It was one of those "cool moments" that could be ruined if the plot convenience bothered me more.

Tobor

It also keeps Jon safe. If it ever did come out Jon has already given up any claims of family and isn't a threat to Robert, like Amon

Like I said in the other post Jon isn't owed the throne anyways. The Baratheons have it. Ned I'm sure thought it would be a safer, better life for Jon to join the black then to stir up some sort of rebellion and have his nephew / adopted son waging some sort of war vs his best friend. He was just trying to give everyone a halfway decent life

I get all this, but it's still all based on a lie. Ned could have had the conversation with Jon before he left and let Jon choose for himself. Instead, he encouraged Jon to take his vows under a false pretense.

Not a huge deal, I just find it interesting. I wonder if Jon will be angry at Ned once he learns the truth.

Tuck

Why didn't Ned at least tell Cat that Jon wasn't his? She could have kept the secret I think

"Promise me, Ned, promise me..."

I imagine it was (a) to avoid unpleasant questions, (b) to keep the circle of who knew small - only him and Reed and most importantly (c) because Lyanna didn't want anyone to know.

It annoys me that this could've been solved with a 'X months later' title card. I don't think they've ever done this, though.

I do think the show could handle this better. Its a big enough problem that many people have noticed it. The fact that a single episode can have several plotlines (each spanning wildly different amounts of time), alongside the show's increased reluctance to show the characters journey to particular places, has the unfortunate consequence of characters seemingly teleporting across the map.

Kyuur

Really? To me it looked like he was deliberately lured so he could see what was about to unfold without being able to stop it. He is the one who put Cersei in this situation to begin with.

zoukka

Really? To me it looked like he was deliberately lured so he could see what was about to unfold without being able to stop it. He is the one who put Cersei in this situation to begin with.

That would be wayyyy too wild even for this series. One kid against a grown militant. Seconds to spare and if the kid failed, cersei would die.

Ramirez

Saw this on another site, since people are so hung up on Varys "teleporting".

lftbrxR.jpg

Shows both Tyrell and Dorne ships in the fleet, so obviously time has passed for everyone to get there.

boxter432

That would be wayyyy too wild even for this series. One kid against a grown militant. Seconds to spare and if the kid failed, cersei would die.

he definitely lured him, if not, he would have ran towards Qyburn's cave thing, not down to the wildfire cache.

Aselith

It annoys me that this could've been solved with a 'X months later' title card. I don't think they've ever done this, though.

That wouldn't make sense with the way the show jumps around. It'd be like "3 month later...for Arya"

They way they do it is fine unless you are mapping out their journeys in your Westeros travel journal in which case I'm sure it's giving you fits. Everything has a logical progression which is what really matters.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Didnt the wildfire was planted in all KL? or Cersei relocated all the juice to the septum?

It was already there.

Though detonating it was cartoonish to the extreme. What a perfect plan.

"Ok urchin. Lancel will probably come out of the sept at some point. You must lure him down to the wildfire cache, sneak around him, then perfectly stab him in the back so he's paralyzed. Then just leave him there and hope he doens't get to the candles you set before they burn down to the level of the wild fire. Do that and you'll get more candy. Ok?"

Neospartan

Neo Member
Ned: Hey Jon

Jon: Hey

Ned: We gotta talk

Jon: I'm all ears

Ned: Look, you kinda have a claim on the Iron Throne

Jon: Cool...

Ned: But don't ever take it, otherwise my big fat friend will happily drive his heavy hammer through your chest.

Jon: Uuuuh, why?

Ned: Also, we're marrying Sansa to his eldest so even if Robert dies, don't claim the Throne.

ampere

The Hound (Subject to change at Arya's discretion - Assisting or killing the Mountain may absolve you of your sins)

She can't kill the Hound... they're totally like... frenemies now. A tag team redemption fight to kill the Mountain would be amazing. It's not like she can really trick an undead monster with her face magic

He is a small fry in the big picture, and planing for such a thing would require luck to work. The kid was there to lit the candles, Lance was there so we could see it, but he could have prevented the whole thing if he had caught the kid; so it's not the smart thing to plan for.

I don't think she factored "getting rekt by wildfire" into her plans. Shocking.

Yeah, I think she was planning something, but the thing is everyone underestimated Cersei. She is willing to go to ANY lengths for revenge / power. We've seen it time and time again, but I think they believed they had her cornered and legit defeated.

Thing is Cersei had other things in mind

Respect

She can't kill the Hound... they're totally like... frenemies now. A tag team redemption fight to kill the Mountain would be amazing. It's not like she can really trick an undead monster with her face magic

I doubt she will (and I hope she doesn't). Maybe she considers leaving him to die as his debt paid.

ampere

Why didn't Ned at least tell Cat that Jon wasn't his? She could have kept the secret I think

I dunno about that. Cat was always so upset with the topic of Jon, might have been out of her character to be calm and know the truth

Little finger said to Sansa " a bastard born in the south " .... something along the lines about being born in the south.

He already knew .

Eh

I thought the story Ned told was that he knocked up some girl on his journey south

So that doesn't mean littlefinger knew. He definitely would have used that information if he did

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yes, but again, Dany herself betrays that vision when her first impulse is always to kill everyone who isn't on her side at that moment.

Yeah it's the one thing that bothers me with her. Slavers and rapists are people too, and their hopes and aspirations shouldn't be snuffed out like that. Instead of outright stealing away these hard working people's mechanism in earning an honest living, she should have offered a fair deal.

Perhaps instead outlawing punishing any slave who disobeyed with torture at the famed Walk of Punishment, she should have offered the Masters a system where punishments were only allowed every other day. Instead of eliminating hands and feet being allowed to be cut off to be used as post signs like in Volantis, she should have allowed the Masters the ability to only cut off one limb per slave.

Crucifying children is one of the few things in life Slavers love more than anything, so banning it outright was a horrific act of a government overstepping its boundaries. Weekends should have been left as a time where Slavers could crucify children as they saw fit. As for rapists, if it was done behind a hut or the victim was intoxicated, 6 months in Mereen County should have been a sufficient punishment.

I can't stand people who tread on others who only wish to live an honest and peaceful life.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I assume Littlefinger knows that the official story about Lyanna being kidnapped is bullshit but even he has no idea that Jon isn't actually Ned's son. The only people who know were those dead knights, the women in that room and possibly Howland Reed. Littlefinger is good about getting information but he's not that good.

duckroll

I assume Littlefinger knows that the official story about Lyanna being kidnapped is bullshit but even he has no idea that Jon isn't actually Ned's son. The only people who know were those dead knights, the women in that room and possibly Howland Reed. Littlefinger is good about getting information but he's not that good.

He didn't even know about Ramsay, how good can he be?!

Yeah it's the one thing that bothers me with her. Slavers and rapists are people too, and their hopes and aspirations shouldn't be snuffed out like that. Instead of outright stealing away these hard working people's mechanism in earning an honest living, she should have offered a fair deal.

Perhaps instead outlawing punishing any slave who disobeyed with torture at the famed Walk of Punishment, she should have offered the Masters a system where punishments were only allowed on every other day. Instead of eliminating hands and feet being allowed to be cut off to be used as post signs like in Volantis, she should have have allowed the Masters the ability to only cut off one limb per slave.

Crucifying children is one of the few things in life Slavers love more than anything, so banning it outright was a horrific act of a government overstepping its boundaries. Weekends should have been left as a time where Slavers could crucify children as they saw fit. As for rapists, if it was done behind a hut or the victim was intoxicated, 6 months in Mereen County should have been sufficient.

I can't stand people who tread on others who only wish to live and honest and peaceful life.

I know you are being sarcastic to him, but ironically she is becoming less of a killer and more of a diplomat through Tyrion. Even to the point that she is wanting to marry in Westeros to help gain loyalty.

Dany was frankly very very bad at playing the game and keeping loyalty. Just killing your enemies no matter how evil they are and not forming any real alliances is not the way to rule the world. She is realizing that and is learning the Game from Tyrion.

Though yeah, she is of course still down to do some killing and conquering when she needs to. Its just she's getting much smarter about it

Noirulus

Can someone explain who Howland Reed is and what his significance in the story is? For the life of me I can't remember him at all from previous seasons

Perhaps instead outlawing punishing any slave who disobeyed with torture at the famed Walk of Punishment, she should have offered the Masters a system where punishments were only allowed every other day. Instead of eliminating hands and feet being allowed to be cut off to be used as post signs like in Volantis, she should have have allowed the Masters the ability to only cut off one limb per slave.

Crucifying children is one of the few things in life Slavers love more than anything, so banning it outright was a horrific act of a government overstepping its boundaries. Weekends should have been left as a time where Slavers could crucify children as they saw fit. As for rapists, if it was done behind a hut or the victim was intoxicated, 6 months in Mereen County should have been a sufficient punishment.

I can't stand people who tread on others who only wish to live an honest and peaceful life.

lol

Aselith

It was already there.

Though detonating it was cartoonish to the extreme. What a perfect plan.

"Ok urchin. Lancel will probably come out of the sept at some point. You must lure him down to the wildfire cache, sneak around him, then perfectly stab him in the back so he's paralyzed. Then just leave him there and hope he doens't get to the candles you set before they burn down to the level of the wild fire. Do that and you'll get more candy. Ok?"

I don't think that was part of the plan so much as a storytelling device so we could see the wildfire as it got closer and closer to exploding.

Like Lancel just happened to see the kid and he did what he had to do not really that it was planned prior. The kid saw Lancel see him and lured him to where he could ambush him.

He has a teleporter and internet.
Only explanation for the things he does and knows.

Varys was a book reader which is why his role is minimized now.

Deku Tree

Do we know whether or not Howland Reed is still alive?

Can someone explain who Howland Reed is and what his significance in the story is? For the life of me I can't remember him at all from previous seasons

He was the guy with Ned Stark in Bran's visions. He has been mentioned a few times in conversations of different characters on the show in season 3 and now in season 6.

He is the other one guy in the vision of the past besides Ned that was not killed by Arthur Dayne

Do we know whether or not Howland Reed is still alive?

the fact that people were speculating that the High Sparrow may be him tells me we know nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom