• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

True, but just by the fact that show watchers used the same name ("R + L = J") for the theory shows that it likely came from book readers.

Probably. A lot of the theory naming crosses over it seems. Personally I watched through season 1 without any real internet interaction since I was a bit late to it and Jon's lineage was kinda obvious to me at that point.

JDB

Banned
Maergery candidate for dumbest character, in a sudden twist.
Yeah, how did she not see coming that Cersei would destroy the Sept of Baelor with wildfire that nobody knew about?
It still doesn't make sense that the Sparrows blocked the doors, like why hold people there against their wills? Not very Godly.
Considering the size of the explosion it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

televator

Why was Jon was even named King of the North? Like, it made lots of sense when Robb was rallied behind, but Jon?

Isn't this kind of unprecedented for bastards? Wouldn't there be an expectation that he'd honor his oath and not abandon the Night's Watch? I mean, I highly doubt most people accept he died and came back to life lol. Plus, the battle against the Boltons was lost until the Lords of the Vale showed up. It wasn't some incredible victory; they weren't even outnumbered in the end. Even if that isn't known to most, it doesn't seem like the kind of battle that should inspire another rebellion lol. Oh, and most of the Northerners still don't even believe in the White Walkers, right? I can't imagine they've suddenly gotten over their hatred of the Wildlings either.

It feels weirdly forced.

Forced? Literally, the scene before revealed Jon Snow to be of high born blood. Perhaps the highest born of all. His dad was the rightful future king and his mother came from the oldest line of monarchs in Westeros.

The noble houses of the North were left in shambles. Their lords slaughtered and family structures turned on their heads. They were arguing with no sense of direction in that room. What they needed was unity and Lyanna Mormont reminded them all exactly what was always Northern tradition for thousand of years for all the Northern houses to reliably unite behind... the recognition of the one King who's name is stark.

Ithil

How do we know what Lyanna said to Ned? I was underwhelmed by the "reveal". Is it actually confirmed that R+L=J?

She appeared to say the baby's name, and that Robert would kill it if he found out. Which would directly imply it's the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, Robert's sworn enemy (whom Robert had just personally killed in battle shortly before this).

Elandyll

Banned

Amazing scene, and amazing acting by all parties.

The humility and .. almost child like behavior by Snow is striking. He is shocked at first by the allegiance ... and then turns towards Sansa almost asking for permission.
you can tell he is still feeling the stigma of having been treated like a near worthless bastard by his own family all these years (foreshadowed by his comment about family feasts with Mel earlier).

And then the stare from LF "told you so", basically implying that he is still trying to push her to go dark and turn against Jon (which he may already have started her on the path of). Then Sansa looks back, in a stare of "Oh shit LF is up to something" or "Oh crap maybe he was right and I'm going to have to fight my brother if I want Winterfell and the North for myself".
I really really hope it's option 1 and not #2...

Why was Jon was even named King of the North? Like, it made lots of sense when Robb was rallied behind, but Jon?

Isn't this kind of unprecedented for bastards? Wouldn't there be an expectation that he'd honor his oath and not abandon the Night's Watch? I mean, I highly doubt most people accept he died and came back to life lol. Plus, the battle against the Boltons was lost until the Lords of the Vale showed up. It wasn't some incredible victory; they weren't even outnumbered in the end. Even if that isn't known to most, it doesn't seem like the kind of battle that should inspire another rebellion lol. Oh, and most of the Northerners still don't even believe in the White Walkers, right? I can't imagine they've suddenly gotten over their hatred of the Wildlings either.

It feels weirdly forced.

- They started the battle outnumbered nearly 3 to 1
- He didn't actually gave the order to charge, screwing their battle plan. It was Davos and Tormund (though they did save his life). So he isn't actually as battlefield daft as implied by many, but he showed incredible honor and bravery by trying to save his brother.
- He actually was at the forefront of the battle with his troops, shedding blood, and fighting incredibly well
- After everything, he still accepted a 1 on 1 with Ramsay (he could have had him executed on the spot) and won, after going through an incredibly exhausting battle
- Everybody is probably wondering why Sansa showed up with surprise Vale knights reinforcements. Jon knows it's because she didn't trust him with his wildling troops and hid it deliberately from him, Davos, Mormont and Tormund in what could pass for a politically motivated move.
- Lady Mormont seems to favor battlefield prowess and experience fighting the Wights vs staying in the back doing politics, to lead men in a war against the White Walkers?

pringles

The downside of Margaery going out like that to me is that, it seemed like she had a plan, when she send her grandmother away with that note. Too bad.

Glad to have that storyline over with though, I never enjoyed it too much.
I really wish Margaery had been able to slip out and survive. Her death made a lot of things that have happened before seem a little pointless almost. Though I guess if she survived Tommen wouldn't have jumped out a window and then Cersei wouldn't have the throne, so it needed to happen. But still, Margaery's character arc feels so incomplete to me.

These reaction videos are cringeworthy bad. The Burlington Bar ones and some of the group ones are ok but the single viewer reaction videos... eek
Reaction videos where people know they are being filmed are cringey 99.9% of the time. Burlington Bar have some good ones but there's usually a few people closest to the camera that have their "reaction face" on all the time.

And then the stare from LF "told you so", basically implying that he is still trying to push her to go dark and turn against Jon (which he may already have started her on the path of). Then Sansa looks back, in a stare of "Oh shit LF is up to something" or "Oh crap maybe he was right and I'm going to have to fight my brother if I want Winterfell and the North for myself".
I really really hope it's option 1 and not #2...
From Littlefinger's perspective of realizing the 'image in his head' though, what purpose would it serve to have Sansa fight Jon over control of the North? Wouldn't it be better if Jon ruled Winterfell as an actual ALLY of Sansa, who would be free to go with littlefiner and conquer King's Landing?

UrbanRats

Why? She was the only one that realized something was gonna happen.

Not what i'm talking about.
I mean her plan to save her brother by empowering absurdly the Sparrow was fucking shit.

Yeah, how did she not see coming that Cersei would destroy the Sept of Baelor with wildfire that nobody knew about?

Considering the size of the explosion it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

See above.
Not the bad decision i'm talking about.

Tonky

She appeared to say the baby's name, and that Robert would kill it if he found out. Which would directly imply it's the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, Robert's sworn enemy (whom Robert had just killed in battle shortly before this).
I think they said they were going to do a twist with the whole Tower of Joy thing. Maybe Rhaegar really isn't the father? Seems like it would be too obvious now, but who else's baby could it be? And why would Bob Baratheon want to kill it? Aerys' son?

True, but just by the fact that show watchers used the same name ("R + L = J") for the theory shows that it likely came from book readers.

I only watch the show and some youtube analysis videos aimed at tv show viewers.

I came across the theory in a youtube video, similarly to other theories which are looking more and more likely, so I wont repeat them.

But Im sure that there are some genuine tv only fans (with no youtube videos), who have heard of the theory from a friend or in this thread.

Its crap that some of the book readers post in here and think they are not spoiling anything by saying a "theory", but it ruins the enjoyment 10x.

The other thing I hate is people who call it "The Tower of Joy" seeing as that has never been mentioned in the tv show by that name.

Next year, I am not going to peak in this thread. The show was much more enjoyable before I came in here and was given away a few surprises based on some people's "theories".

UrbanRats

I liked the ep. for the most part, even though some timing things, even if i understand it was for convenience, were pretty confusing, like Arya teleporting to Westeros, or Varys jumping back and forth.
Nothing really plot breaking though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think they said they were going to do a twist with the whole Tower of Joy thing. Maybe Rhaegar really isn't the father? Seems like it would be too obvious now, but who else's baby could it be? And why would Bob Baratheon want to kill it? Aerys' son?

He'd want to kill Jon because he loved Lyanna and having her Targaryen son around is not only a reminder that she didn't actually love him but the true heir to The Iron Throne is there is bad news for him.

Tonky

He'd want to kill Jon because he loved Lyanna and having her Targaryen son around is not only a reminder that she didn't actually love him but the true heir to The Iron Throne is there is bad news for him.
I don't understand why he loved Lyanna so much. Wasn't it a political marriage to align Baratheon and Stark?

Tonky

Is the Iron Island guy still sailing for Mereen, only to find it empty? Or maybe he's still building his thousand ships, lol.
They'll probably meet his fleet along the way, and then begin a battle which will encompass all of season 7 and half of season 8.

T-Rex.

Banned
What an episode!

Cersei being a savage, Arya being a savage (get fucking rekt Filch), Sansa showing some love for Jon, Little Mormont being the best hypeman since Davos, THE FUCKING KING IN THE NORTH*, Jon Targayren confirmed. That's how you finish a season.

*Fuck off Jon. I like you but there was only true king in the north m8. Get your own title.

TyrantII

I dont get people that get stuck on the time variances.

Unless character cross paths, they're not nessesarily showing you concurrent events. It's just that simple.

Danys story is her journey to Westeros, not Jon's or Cersi's.

Ollena in Dorn is obviously months after Cersi being crowned, regardless if we're shown the ceremony after.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
With the magic of editing.

The scenes are separated by more time than it seems

Could be wrong, but there's reason to believe that scene occurs months later. Time in this show is so weird.

Months passed.

Not every event happens at the same time. Weeks and such can pass between events.

there were also Dorne ships among the fleet.

Being that there were Tyrell and Dorne ships with them I imagine they passed by and picked him up along with the other armies. We don't know how much time passed.

Ah, gotcha's!

Venture

I really wish Margaery had been able to slip out and survive. Her death made a lot of things that have happened before seem a little pointless almost. Though I guess if she survived Tommen wouldn't have jumped out a window and then Cersei wouldn't have the throne, so it needed to happen. But still, Margaery's character arc feels so incomplete to me.
Did they actually show her blowing up? It would be kind of goofy but if they can bring back the Hound...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand why he loved Lyanna so much. Wasn't it a political marriage to align Baratheon and Stark?
I mean, so was Dany and Drogo or Cat and Ned, sometimes people end up loving each other even if it was all political. Robert ended up going to war just because he loved her so much but she didn't feel the same way about him.

You have wonder, though, did Ned not realize her sister didn't love Robert? Did he go to war under some false pretences and when he saw his sister asking him to promise to protect Jon, did he realize sending his sister off to Robert would actually be a huge disservice to her?
Did they actually show her blowing up? It would be kind of goofy but if they can bring back the Hound...

She didn't even make it out of that circle, all The Sparrows made sure no one left and even if she did, everyone who was even near there died.

tumblr_o9frxm3juQ1sbzg99o1_540.jpg

When cersei doesn't turn up to the trial.

Tonky

I mean, so was Dany and Drogo or Cat and Ned, sometimes people end up loving each other even if it was all political. Robert ended up going to war just because he loved her so much but she didn't feel the same way about him.

You have wonder, though, did Ned not realize her sister didn't love Robert? Did he go to war under some false pretences and when he saw his sister asking him to promise to protect Jon, did he realize sending his sister off to Robert would actually be a huge disservice to her?
I think it was also about what Aerys did to his father and brother though, not just Lyanna.

I dont get people that get stuck on the time variances.

Unless character cross paths, they're not nessesarily showing you concurrent events. It's just that simple.

Danys story is her journey to Westeros, not Jon's or Cersi's.

Ollena in Dorn is obviously months after Cersi being crowned, regardless if we're shown the ceremony after.
They did a poor job of showing the passage of time in this specific case. They generally make a point of doing so and when it doesn't happen it's confusing.

Tonky

Scenario:

Jon and Dany get married, but Daario gets jealous. Daario kills Jon and takes his sword (of house Mormont). Jorah returns and sees he has his family's sword, kills Daario, marries Dany, lives happily ever after with her and Lyanna Mormont?

Ned and Robert were best friends since they were kids, so he probably got to know her well. She was also apparently beautiful, which automatically made her Robert's type. She's one of the few noblewomen in the kingdom Robert didn't shag in his lifetime, Rhaegar ran off with her like Bowser in Mario bros during their engagement, and so I think he convinced himself that she was "the one that got away". Which ironically poisoned his marriage to Cersei, who wasn't a bad catch at all at the time.

All noble marriages are political in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom