• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

WHY are any of you thinking that Theon was going to do anything!? Have you been watching the show?

This is Reek. Reek, who was willing to watch his own sister nearly be killed for trying to rescue him. OF COURSE he wasn't going to do shit!

Like, that scene served literally NO PURPOSE. It was the writers once again being sadistic just for the hell of it. And I didn't sign up for that.

Hell, not even Spartacus, for all it's blood and gore and rape, ever got this damn depraved for no purpose.

Velcro Fly

Yeah that was stomach turning.

I mean people complained about the Jamie/Cersei scene from a season or two back being rape.

Uh yeah this was definitely worse.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
WHY are any of you thinking that Theon was going to do anything!? Have you been watching the show?

This is Reek. Reek, who was willing to watch his own sister nearly be killed for trying to rescue him. OF COURSE he wasn't going to do shit!

Like, that scene served literally NO PURPOSE. It was the writers once again being sadistic just for the hell of it. And I didn't sign up for that.

Hell, not even Spartacus, for all it's blood and gore and rape, ever got this damn depraved for no purpose.

Pretty much how I felt about the scene.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Sansa constantly getting tortured is getting really old. Does she exist for any other purpose? I mean fucking hell.

Griss

Hey I think they just established that the Boltons are bad people, because up until this episode they seemed legit.

Cheap fucking shock value to keep people watching through a season of shit, shit storylines. Sad what this has devolved into.

I do think they'll get it back together, but I don't think it will be this season. What really worries me is where the directorial / cinematographic talent has gone. So few interesting shots, incompetent action scenes... just feels like we've gone low budget all of a sudden and I don't get it.

That was probably the last straw for Sansa mentally though.

Time for the revenge tour!

I would say that the audience has had this thought about 10 times at this stage. Like the boy who cried wolf, I reckon it never fucking happens. Even if it does, we've now spent so long watching one girl get tortured that I'm not sure I care anymore, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Carl

I hope they're building to a point where Ramsay subjects them to so much that he snaps and fucking does something.

JB1981

Cheap fucking shock value to keep people watching through a season of shit, shit storylines. Sad what this has devolved into.

I do think they'll get it back together, but I don't think it will be this season. What really worries me is where the directorial / cinematographic talent has gone. So few interesting shots, incompetent action scenes... just feels like we've gone low budget all of a sudden and I don't get it.

Disagree. Thought some of the shots in this episode were fantastic.

That was probably the last straw for Sansa mentally though.

Time for the revenge tour!

Sansa constantly getting tortured is getting really old. Does she exist for any other purpose? I mean fucking hell.

I'm telling you guys man this is her rock bottom so she can grow to be the new cersi. Makes too much sense... she has to go through the ropes to understand people so she can play / manipulate them later.

ReiGun

Like...the fuck...

Remember when Joffery was the worst evil on this show? Good times.

Yeah I don't know why people expected Theon to suddenly step up. He's a shell of a man.

Kimaka

Yeah, getting really tired of how her characterization keeps going back to helpless and meek whenever there is a hint of progression to her character.

Reek is a piece of shit and a coward.

But, I don't think he was supposed to give Sansa away as Theon of house Greyjoy...It made me think that he was actually going to do something at the end, but he didn't. He's been so mentally mutilated that it will probably take a few more instances of us having to watch Sansa getting tortured before he snaps out of it and does something, because you know he will.

This season doesn't have the massive "oh shit" moments peppered throughout like Season 4- Joffrey's death, Tyrion's Trial, the Mountain and the Viper.

The tension this season is palpable. Its like a boiling pot with the lid rattling ready to explode.

We have a shortcut to Jorah and Tyrion getting to Mereen.
We have Jaime and Bronn captured, and the Sand Snakes and Elya.
Ayra ready for her face/off
Sansa, Ramsay and Reek
The situation in King's Landing. Oh jeez, this is killing me waiting for this to resolve.
and that's just this episode. We didn't see any of Stannis, Brienne, Night's Watch or Dany's troubles. And we still have Robomountain in the wings.

on balance, especially once we have some resolutions, this season will be a fascinating one to rewatch.

Jarnet87

I thought she might be ready to play the game after going to The Vale, guess not lol. Looks like she is still just there as a whipping tool like you said.

I like The Boltons, Ramsay doesn't play around with his toys, he gone get it in.

Like...the fuck...

Remember when Joffery was the worst evil on this show? Good times.

As horrid as Joffery was, and he was fucking terrible, he was a coward at heart, and would at least back down when REAL power put him in his place.

Ramsay is a fucking monster, and I'm not even sure Roose can keep him completely in check.

Carl

If that didn't make him snap then what the fuck could, because I don't think I've been as uncomfortable watching a show as I did just now.

He looked pretty angry at the end, I don't know. Instead of being one thing that makes him snap, a collection of all this stuff happening to Sansa. Just what I thin.

Or hope. He can't carry on being a worthless little cuntweasel the entire time surely.

Griss

If that didn't make him snap then what the fuck could, because I don't think I've been as uncomfortable watching a show as I did just now.

That was far worse than the red wedding for me, that was impossible to watch. I looked away and turned the volume down to get the gist of what was happening. It was utterly revolting. Gratuitous.

sangreal

I thought Sansa actually had a pretty strong episode. Yeah, she got raped on her wedding night. So did Dany. It's hardly a death-knell for a female character in this series. I think she will only grow stronger from here

I think the scene was necessary after holding her virginity on a pedestal for the last 3 or 4 seasons, they couldn't just reference losing it later -- we all knew it was coming at some point and that it would be bad

royalan

how much can one man take? theon needs to snap already and fucking take out ramsay, jesus

edit: oh fuck me i hope bronn hasn't been poisoned, he shouldn't have to go out like that, the fight scene was terrible.

If watching Ramsey rape the girl who was practically raised as his sister didn't make Theon snap, it's going to take a herculean effort on the part of the writers to concoct a believable scene in which he does snap.

Like, it's coming obviously, but I don't think Theon finally snapping will be worth all the repetitive bullshit we had to sit through before it happened.

What did you guys think was going to happen on the wedding night

I'm not even joking. I didn't know if it was Theon or someone else, but I thought that someone or SOMETHING was going to stop it.

And then my face just fell when I realized, "Oh, this is really actually going to happen."

NJDEN

The final scene actually did have a purpose other than being stomach churning.

We can assume that Sansa might now be pregnant after this, but what that means in the long run I'm not sure.

iNvid02

What did you guys think was going to happen on the wedding night

i just didnt think reek would be standing in the corner of the fucking room though. ramsay needs to die before this season is out.

and theon needs to do something as well, his shtick of being treated like a piece of shit is wearing thin. either try to make up for your wrongs or kill yourself you cunt

I thought Sansa actually had a pretty strong episode. Yeah, she got raped on her wedding night. So did Dany. It's hardly a death-knell for a female character in this series. I think she will only grow stronger from here

I think the scene was necessary after holding her virginity on a pedestal for the last 3 or 4 seasons, they couldn't just reference losing it later -- we all knew it was coming at some point and that it would be bad
Plus after rooses Lil tale of love last week people had to see that coming right

Reek is a piece of shit and a coward.

But, I don't think he was supposed to give Sansa away as Theon of house Greyjoy...It made me think that he was actually going to do something at the end, but he didn't. He's been so mentally mutilated that it will probably take a few more instances of us having to watch Sansa getting tortured before he snaps out of it and does something, because you know he will.

That's horrible fucking storytelling if that is what the writers are going for. They want THEON to be a knight in shining armor? Fuck that he mutilates and burns children and stabbed the Starks in the back to take Winterfell so he could feel good in front of daddy. Fuck Theon.

The whole north storyline right now has been a clusterfuck of stupid ever since Theon went to the iron islands. It's so bad that we are now hoping for Theon fucking Greyjoy to save us.

I dunno. I said last week I was just not feeling any of these stories going on and that goes double now. What training is Arya receiving? Lying training? That's fuckin exciting stuff. The Jamie and Bronn story looks to be ending as idiotic as it began. Brienne remains worthless to basically everything.

Now Sansa gets to be a crying torture victim who will try and escape somehow and hey that's exactly what Ramsay wants so he can go on another hunt. I doubt Roose even gives a shit unless word gets out about what's happening.

Just so fucking dumb. I'm close to just reading after show comments each week until I hear about a good episode worth watching. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point

Really? I mean, I know this amounts to rape, and having Theon watch Sansa get raped is horrible, but the Boltons are fucking horrible people. Their sigil is a fucking man skinned, most likely alive.

That scene is Sansa's first true taste of the monster that Ramsey is.

Curufinwe

And yet somehow you were fine with on screen rape by Khal Drogo four seasons ago. How odd.

It's clearly going to serve a purpose no matter how often you hold down the shift key.

Venture

Man this episode was really dark but another good one. I have to agree though that the whole Dorne subplot had been pretty half-baked. I guess there's only so much time/money to devote to each story so something has to suffer.

Very nice performance by Maisie this episode and Alfie Allen continues to be amazing. It's too bad his part is probably too small to get nominated for anything. That's maybe the toughest part to play on the whole show and he does it so well.

Curufinwe

That was far worse than the red wedding for me, that was impossible to watch. I looked away and turned the volume down to get the gist of what was happening. It was utterly revolting. Gratuitous.

They didn't show anything. How did you deal with Dany getting raped on screen?

Kyou

Ramsey is definitely pulling at strings on Theon that he shouldn't. Only a matter of time.

Also holy lord is Tommen a pussy.

sangreal

Man this episode was really dark but another good one. I have to agree though that the whole Dorne subplot had been pretty half-baked. I guess there's only so much time/money to devote to each story so something has to suffer.

It feels half-baked and really low budget. Reminds me of the Yunkai nonsense. It's bad. Especially if Bronn gets killed by that cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom