• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet somehow you were fine with on screen rape by Khal Drogo four seasons ago. How odd.

It's clearly going to serve a purpose no matter how often you hold down the shift key.

Can we stop doing this?

The rape was bad, but it's not just that. It's the fact that we've been watching this girl being shat on since fucking season 1, and it all culminates in this. It's a terrible progression. As bad as the scene with Dany was, it doesn't have anywhere near the impact.

Popnbake

I thought Sansa actually had a pretty strong episode. Yeah, she got raped on her wedding night. So did Dany. It's hardly a death-knell for a female character in this series. I think she will only grow stronger from here

I think the scene was necessary after holding her virginity on a pedestal for the last 3 or 4 seasons, they couldn't just reference losing it later -- we all knew it was coming at some point and that it would be bad

It took Dany 4+ seasons to get where she is and she had three dragons and an army.

What is Sansa going to accomplish with just being a "key to the north" that everyone wants to fuck?
Ramsay doesn't strike me as a Drogo where Sansa can learn some kinky sex and get him under control.

Very nice performance by Maisie this episode and Alfie Allen continues to be amazing. It's too bad his part is probably too small to get nominated for anything. That's maybe the toughest part to play on the whole show and he does it so well.

Yeah, Alfie has been consistently the best actor on the show. Really just incredible every time he's on screen, even before all of this happened when he was Theon, he was fantastic.

Yea, I'm really confused why people are freaking out over this scene when there have been countless other acts of horrid events.

I mean, you didn't even see it and rape has happened on screen at least twice at this point (Or once if you don't count Jamie doing it on his sons gravebed, I guess the writers didn't really intend for that to be rape)

Are people mad that Sansa is just continuously getting fucked over?

I'm really getting to the point where I may stop watching. If I wanted to see the bad guys doing horrible shit every week I would turn on the news.

Gray Matter

I really thought theon was going to do something.

And boy, is Ramsay fucking horrible, he might be up there with the likes of Joffrey, if not worse. Poor Sansa tho, can't wait for the Bolton's to go to hell and burn there forever.

Tainted

I hope they're building to a point where Ramsay subjects them to so much that he snaps and fucking does something.

Theon will snap at some point, he just has to (whether it be this season or next); otherwise his character serves absolutely no purpose in the show

Vire

That was honestly the worst episode of Game of Thrones ever. What the fuck is happening to this show? The sand snakes scenes are so bad.. The acting is ridiculously bad, the fight choreography is ridiculously bad and Jamie and Bronn look absolutely absurd.

The ending... I don't even have words for how much it angers me. I am so pissed right now.

I gotta say that I feel awful for Jorah, just finding out about his father. That sucked. That cock merchant part was pretty hilarious though.

I love love love the music from the black and white house, it's so perfectly mysterious just like everything else surrounding it. All those faces, amazing.

Littlefinger, so hard to trust. I really have a hard time telling who's side he's on. I'm actually leaning towards his own, he doesn't care what happens to Sansa or anyone else, this is all for him and only him.

Bronn pulling out that 80s talent and bringing his musical side back full force. That was pretty great.

Also, I can't believe Tommen. He's just a child, yes. But man, he has no business being a king, he's just so clueless.

giga

That was honestly the worst episode of Game of Thrones ever. What the fuck is happening to this show? The sand snakes scenes are so bad.. The acting is ridiculously bad, the fight choreography is ridiculously bad and Jamie and Bronn look absolutely absurd.

The ending... I don't even have words for how much it angers me. I am so pissed right now.
Agreed. I cringe at their horrid accents.

royalan

And yet somehow you were fine with on screen rape by Khal Drogo four seasons ago. How odd.

It's clearly going to serve a purpose no matter how often you hold down the shift key.

I was?

Can we stop doing this?

The rape was bad, but it's not just that. It's the fact that we've been watching this girl being shat on since fucking season 1, and it all culminates in this. It's a terrible progression. As bad as the scene with Dany was, it doesn't have anywhere near the impact.

Bingo.

Can we stop doing this?

What, I didn't realize tonight was the series finale? Nothing "culminated" tonight.

Griss

Reading twitter and this thread I think that they're gonna need a strong ending to this season, one that really pushes some character storylines together and starts showing us at least a little bit of end game, or people's patience may start running out.

If I wasn't so invested in this at this point episodes like tonight would definitely have me walking away from the show.

I wasn't alright with it. Not at all. Hated Drogo from the start because of it.

They didn't show anything. How did you deal with Dany getting raped on screen?

I didn't directly watch that one either. Makes me too uncomfortable. It wasn't as bad though because it wasn't done out of cruelty, and you could see that it might be a path to a better life for Dany. For Sansa it's just a form of torture by a sadist.

Carl

Hmm, was definitely my favourite episode for a while. Definitely favourite this series.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Of all the evil shit in this show it's always the off-screen rape scenes that get the most backlash. We've had child murder, torture, in-your-face bloody murder. But rape is too far?

Okay.

I'm really getting to the point where I may stop watching. If I wanted to see the bad guys doing horrible shit every week I would turn on the news.

lol, Stop lying to yourself, you would have stopped watching long ago if that was the case because that's been the majority of it.

Kusagari

Nothing about what's going on in Kings Landing is believable.

I don't care how clueless Tommen is he literally said NOTHING as they jail his queen. Like what the fuck is this shit?

sangreal

Yea, I'm really confused why people are freaking out over this scene when there have been countless other acts of horrid events.

I mean, you didn't even see it and rape has happened on screen at least twice at this point (Or once if you don't count Jamie doing it on his sons gravebed, I guess the writers didn't really intend for that to be rape)

don't forget the mutineer's house of rape

Personally don't think the show is slipping at all. It might be alittle slower then past seasons, but not slipping. That's just me though

sangreal

I don't care how clueless Tommen is he literally said NOTHING as they jail his queen. Like what the fuck is this shit?

the only thing that keeps me going on that arc is knowing it is going to come back to bite cersei

especially since she had incestual relations with one of the crazies

Personally don't think the show is slipping at all. It might be alittle slower then past seasons, but not slipping. That's just me though

It's not, I feel like people are expecting every episode to be like the attack on the wall. Winter isn't here yet and this show has always been about dialogue and politics and all that jazz.

It's like they forgot how slow going the plot was simply because last season was different.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Well they have gone out of their way this season to show how timid and non-violent Tommen is. The point is that he's a naive, young, non-assertive King and his mother is taking advantage of that.

Curufinwe

That's horrible fucking storytelling if that is what the writers are going for. They want THEON to be a knight in shining armor? Fuck that he mutilates and burns children and stabbed the Starks in the back to take Winterfell so he could feel good in front of daddy. Fuck Theon.

The whole north storyline right now has been a clusterfuck of stupid ever since Theon went to the iron islands. It's so bad that we are now hoping for Theon fucking Greyjoy to save us.

I dunno. I said last week I was just not feeling any of these stories going on and that goes double now. What training is Arya receiving? Lying training? That's fuckin exciting stuff. The Jamie and Bronn story looks to be ending as idiotic as it began. Brienne remains worthless to basically everything.

Now Sansa gets to be a crying torture victim who will try and escape somehow and hey that's exactly what Ramsay wants so he can go on another hunt. I doubt Roose even gives a shit unless word gets out about what's happening.

Just so fucking dumb. I'm close to just reading after show comments each week until I hear about a good episode worth watching. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point

There's nothing dumb about it but it would be a good idea for you to stop watching and posting cause this whining over the possibility that a character who did terrible things might be allowed to do something good is excruciating to read. That's been one of the foundations of the whole series. It's not horrible storytelling just because you can't cope with a show where it's not just goodies vs baddies.

What, I didn't realize tonight was the series finale? Nothing "culminated" tonight.

In a way, there's a certain sense of finality since she's gone all this way to get home and it comes to this. The season might not be over, and obviously the storyline isn't going to end, but my main point (which might have had the wrong choice of words) is that going here at this point was beyond horrid. They trot her out just to shit on her, and that's what they've been doing for four years. It's getting tired, and in no way compares to what happened to Dany outside of the comparable rape.

...I can't believe I'm even having this kind of conversation. >_>

I'd say I need to take a break, but I'd just be lying if I said I wasn't going to be back next week to bitch with you guys some more.

Meowster

Well they have gone out of their way this season to show how timid and non-violent Tommen is. The point is that he's a naive, young, non-assertive King and his mother is taking advantage of that.
Understood but the fact that he couldn't even muster up a whimper of "stop" or at least an apology to his wife feels a little bit too unbelievable to me. But maybe I'm just thinking things through too much. I'm still excited to see the ramifications of this so, lol, keep going plot.

royalan

Of all the evil shit in this show it's always the off-screen rape scenes that get the most backlash. We've had child murder, torture, in-your-face bloody murder. But rape is too far?

Okay.

The problem with scenes like this, and why I actually referenced Spartacus a few posts back (a show more gore and sex-filled than GoT will likely ever get and yet never managed to make my stomach churn like it did tonight), is that when they happen in this show they tend to serve no purpose. And when that's the case, it's just fucking sadistic, not to mention cheap storytelling.

The audience already knows the Boltons are monsters.

Sansa already knows the Bolton's are monsters.

We ALL already knew that Ramsey was going to start torturing her the second he was able to.

This scene gave us nothing new. We learned nothing new about the characters. It did nothing to push to story forward. It was just this cheap, gross thing to make the audience gasp at the end of the episode. Not only is that fucking cheap, but you choose to do that with the rape of young girl while her "brother" watches? If you're going to do a scene like that, for fuck's sake make it count for something.

This is the worst tendency of the GoT writers.

Sylas

Sansa being turned into a victim yet again is literally turning her entire narrative arc on it's heels and it makes for pisspoor writing that's--at best--tactless and unaware.

Her entire story is about a victim learning to live under her abusers oppression and then taking things she learned from that experience to become a stronger person.

Having it all happen again is literally shitting all over that arc.

sangreal

The problem with scenes like this, and why I actually referenced Spartacus a few posts back (a show more gore and sex-filled than GoT will likely ever get and yet never managed to make my stomach churn like it did tonight), is that when they happen in this show they tend to serve no purpose. And when that's the case, it's just fucking sadistic, not to mention cheap storytelling.

The audience already knows the Boltons are monsters.

Sansa already knows the Bolton's are monsters.

We ALL already knew that Ramsey was going to start torturing her the second he was able to.

This scene gave us nothing new. We learned nothing new about the characters. It did nothing to push to story forward. It was just this cheap, gross thing to make the audience gasp at the end of the episode. Not only is that fucking cheap, but you choose to do that with the rape of young girl while her "brother" watches? If you're going to do a scene like that, for fuck's sake make it count for something.

This is the worst tendency of the GoT writers.

We have no idea if it will lead to anything yet

Released

Saw something like this coming I guess, and I still don't like it. Sansa being a victim again is just... ugh. Hopefully this is it though and there's a turnaround soon.

Kusagari

The problem with Sansa is we're in the fifth season now and for five seasons her characters only point of existence has been to be abused by psychopaths.

It's just getting fucking old.

In a way, there's a certain sense of finality since she's gone all this way to get home and it comes to this. The season might not be over, and obviously the storyline isn't going to end, but my main point (which might have had the wrong choice of words) is that going here at this point was beyond horrid. They trot her out just to shit on her, and that's what they've been doing for four years. It's getting tired, and in no way compares to what happened to Dany outside of the comparable rape.

...I can't believe I'm even having this kind of conversation. >_>

I'd say I need to take a break, but I'd just be lying if I said I wasn't going to be back next week to bitch with you guys some more.

She's the last known heir to Winterfell -> heir to Warden of North. She's been a bargaining tool from day one, it's how the world works.

If you think the story line is over then you forgot

1) Stanis is heading down to fuck shit up which is obviously happening this season
2) Little Finger is going to take the army of The Irie and fuck up whoever is left

People are people, until the invaders are gone and the people see an oportunity for an uprising she's going to be doing nothing but being that chip to the throne.

It's an accumulation of horrible shit happening over and over and over. Feels like I'm watching a sadist play with dolls.

Venture

Littlefinger, so hard to trust. I really have a hard time telling who's side he's on. I'm actually leaning towards his own, he doesn't care what happens to Sansa or anyone else, this is all for him and only him.
Yeah, he's clearly on nobodies side but his own. I do think he cares for Sansa in his own way though. He knows Cersei can't do anything about Sansa. It was all just a ploy to get himself named Warden of The North.

Also, I can't believe Tommen. He's just a child, yes. But man, he has no business being a king, he's just so clueless.
God yes. I thought I was going to like Tommen as king but he's spineless fool. I guess I have a little sympathy for the position he was put in, but if Cersei gets him killed I don't think I'll even care all that much.

Also the Tyrion scene was great yet again.

The Arya stuff was impressive looking and mysterious.

alfie allen acting this episode was very good, i'm starting to feel bad for theon

Yeah, which is certainly not easy after the stuff they had Theon do, he did a rather good job showing how much the "poking" is getting to him. He's too weak to act at that moment but it did look like he may have snapped there for later.

the only thing that keeps me going on that arc is knowing it is going to come back to bite cersei

especially since she had incestual relations with one of the crazies

Needs to happen. Watching Littlefinger play with her added to it.

Kimaka

Why can't Margaery command the kings guard herself? Cersei has no problem doing it and she isn't even in a position of power

Lannister guards or Lannister paid guards. Although, I wonder why the Tyrells don't have more of their own men in Kingslanding. They know how hostile Cersei is and they should have been more prepared than they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom