• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyou

So what are you Stannis Stans going to do if he kills his little girl for more power?

He's either going to do that or get the pipe on the battlefield at this point. Either way it's going to be devastating for you guys...

I almost want Ramsy to give it to Stannis just to watch the meltdowns... but that little girl is fucked if that happens so screw that noise.

I feel like it's been telegraphed from a mile away that Stannis' wife is going to kill the girl.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fuck fuck fuck!!!!!

That was incredible!!!

The atmosphere throughout the whole white walker ordeal was out of this world.

The ominous wind and snow at the beginning, the pure chaos and utter carnage throughout the fight and finally the very eerie finish.

Gastone

Amazing episode. Almost makes up for the other episodes this season being uneventful and borderline boring. Karsi was cool. Funny thing...saw her first in Pitch Perfect 2, then the next day in this episode. Quite the difference i'd say.

I've always rooted for Danaerys to take the Iron Throne and I still believe it'll happen but I talked to someone @ work who thinks Jon will be sitting on the throne in the end...

...like, what? That doesn't even begin to make sense. Jon Snow is bound by the Night Watch and doesn't have an army nor has he ever displayed such ambitions. Westeros deserves it's Dragon Queen.

What specifically makes you think she's fit to rule? I don't think having good intentions or being "next in line" are sufficient qualifiers if you can't adequately act upon either. Danaerys has left a trail of destruction everywhere she goes, and the people in Westeros aren't interested in yet another royal upheaval.

Linkhero1

So what are you Stannis Stans going to do if he kills his little girl for more power?

He's either going to do that or get the pipe on the battlefield at this point. Either way it's going to be devastating for you guys...

I almost want Ramsy to give it to Stannis just to watch the meltdowns... but that little girl is fucked if that happens so screw that noise.

My prediction is that Ramsay will end up killing her and the wife. Stannis would never hurt his daughter. He's the fucking man.

Huesos

Neo Member
I've always rooted for Danaerys to take the Iron Throne and I still believe it'll happen but I talked to someone @ work who thinks Jon will be sitting on the throne in the end...

...like, what? That doesn't even begin to make sense. Jon Snow is bound by the Night Watch and doesn't have an army nor has he ever displayed such ambitions. Westeros deserves it's Dragon Queen.

Jon is bound until death, but I guess if he dies and is resurrected?

I was completely against it and hated that it's even a consideration. But then last night happened and I wrote this, just copy/pasting.

it really feels like Shireen has to die, Stannis has to be around to see the end, The warrior of light, who wields the Lightbringer. Meli hasn't been grooming him to rule the 7 kingdoms, she's been preparing him for the White Walkers.

boxter432

I really hope they can. There's nothing I want more than to see a reanimated direwolf Robb ripping people to shreds.

yikes.

as of now I am just going to assume it is only things killed by a wight/undead or white walker that they can raise. I think they would have focused on the King of Bones reincarnating if it was any dead, unless I missed them showing him.

I think the wight/reincarnated crow from season 1 was presumably killed by walkers while with Benjen.

Jackpot

Banned
oYkPx61.jpg

Arrow through the brainpan yet not even slowed down. Good luck killing that.

Go_Ly_Dow

Stupid question, but if they seal up the tunnel how the hell would the white walkers get up the wall anyway?

Also I've always felt the white walkers demise will have something to do with Bran and his merry adventure as opposed to the dragons.

sangreal

Stupid question, but if they seal up the tunnel how the hell would the white walkers get up the wall anyway?

Also I've always felt the white walkers demise will have something to do with Bran and his merry adventure as opposed to the dragons.

Pretty sure Bran and his marry adventures is going to involve dragons. You will fly and all that.

As for the wall, that is why it was built, I would imagine, but we haven't seen all of their forces yet. Even the wildlings were not deterred by the wall

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why was the giant the only one using fire!?

He wasn't using fire as much as smashing them around with a wooden bean partly on fire.

I'm going to guess those fools didn't have enough time to ready some incendiary arrows, let alone proper defences against an army of undead soldiers.

every season except 4 was like this
That's not true at all, Season 3 had Jaime's hand getting cut off and Dany getting the Unsullied all early in the season, Season 2 had Renly's assassination and Theon's betrayal, Season 1 was more of a world-building, plot-driven season and in that context had lots of twists and turns with Ned's storyline - Bran getting pushed out the tower, Ned realizing the Lannister incest etc.

Season 5 has undoubtedly been the weakest season so far.

Go_Ly_Dow

Pretty sure Bran and his marry adventures is going to involve dragons. You will fly and all that.

As for the wall, that is why it was built, I would imagine, but we haven't seen all of their forces yet. Even the wildlings were not deterred by the wall

The wildlings tried to climb! Hopefully we get to see the WW's attempt to scale the wall by seasons end.

The wall is 300 feet high and according to old nan (read below) snows fall 100 feet deep and that's probably not as far north so there's a good chance that it could snow far more than 100 feet in the deep north.

Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the the long nights when the sun hides for years, and children are born and live and die, all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little lord; when the white walkers move through the woods. Thousands of years ago there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts, and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks. So is this the sort of story that you like? In that darkness the white walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds...

Curufinwe

That's not true at all, Season 3 had Jaime's hand getting cut off and Dany getting the Unsullied all early in the season, Season 2 had Renly's assassination and Theon's betrayal, Season 1 was more of a world-building, plot-driven season and in that context had lots of twists and turns with Ned's storyline - Bran getting pushed out the tower, Ned realizing the Lannister incest etc.

Season 5 has undoubtedly been the weakest season so far.

This season has Sansa going home to marry a Bolton then finding Theon, Stannis executing Mance and leading an army to Winterfell, Jon becoming Lord Commander, executing Slynt, then going to Hardhome, Cersei enabling the Faith Militant, using them to imprison her enemies, then falling victim to them herself with the help of Littlefinger and Olenna, Jorah capturing Tyrion then getting stone plague, Barristan being killed then Dany executing one master with her dragons, and marrying another, Tyrion becoming Dany's advisor, and more besides.

Kyou

He wasn't using fire as much as smashing them around with a wooden bean partly on fire.

I'm going to guess those fools didn't have enough time to ready some incendiary arrows, let alone proper defences against an army of undead soldiers.

They really should have been doing that every waking hour while they were sitting on their thumbs in Hardhome.

I look forward to Ramsey taking his shirt off and destroying a thousand men just because who cares about logic when you can be omg that's so cr-azy.

Karl2177

That'd be my guess as well. If Bran doesn't warg into a dragon, this show will have missed an amazing opportunity.

Volimar

I wonder how far south the walkers will get. Once winter is in full swing, the scenes in Dorne and Mereen will be a jarring contrast. By then I hope Dany will have started for Westeros.

a916

At this point, I would be more shocked to find out Rhaegar and Ned's sister weren't Jon's parents. Season 5 has leaned more into that conclusion than ever. I think over the course of a single episode, we had:

1). Aemon is talking to Sam about how sad it is that Dany will be the last Targaryan when he passes away. Boom, Jon walks in right on cue.
2). In Winterfell's crypt, Sansa pays her respects to Ned's sister, her aunt. Littlefinger appears and tells the story of how Rhaegar chose her. Sansa is under the impression that Rhaegar ultimately raped her.
3). Dany and Semly have a nice discussion about Rhaegar.
4). I'm not 100% sure this happened in the same episode, but Stannis' "that wasn't Ned's way..." line spoke volumes.

And it just falls into place when you consider everything else. Ned told Jon his blood courses through him, but didn't specify who that Stark blood came from. Melisandre clearly believes he's of royal heritage. And why else would Ned feel so compelled to keep Jon's heritage a secret?

Jon and Dany are the last Targaryans.

He wouldn't tell his own wife that he didn't infact cheat on her? I remember Caitlyn feeling awful about how she was being punished for not viewing Jon as a son.

He wouldn't tell his own wife that he didn't infact cheat on her? I remember Caitlyn feeling awful about how she was being punished for not viewing Jon as a son.

Maybe he couldn't trust that she would keep a lid on it, even treating him other than a bastard might have raised suspicion and may have gotten not only Jon killed, but probably the rest of the family as well.

Yeah, but two things: Ned and Catelyn, like other nobles, had an arranged marriage; they grew to love and trust each other after time. But we don't know exactly when that turning point happened. Also, knowing Ned, if this were true, he was probably sworn to secrecy.

It's plausible that the safest course of action, for both Jon and his marriage, was for Ned to continue the ruse, enjoy the fact that he and Catelyn worked past the common enough "indiscretion" and emerged with a loving marriage, yet also incorporate Jon into the family, so to speak.

At this point, I would be more shocked to find out Rhaegar and Ned's sister weren't Jon's parents. Season 5 has leaned more into that conclusion than ever. I think over the course of a single episode, we had:

1). Aemon is talking to Sam about how sad it is that Dany will be the last Targaryan when he passes away. Boom, Jon walks in right on cue.
2). In Winterfell's crypt, Sansa pays her respects to Ned's sister, her aunt. Littlefinger appears and tells the story of how Rhaegar chose her. Sansa is under the impression that Rhaegar ultimately raped her.
3). Dany and Semly have a nice discussion about Rhaegar.
4). I'm not 100% sure this happened in the same episode, but Stannis' "that wasn't Ned's way..." line spoke volumes.

And it just falls into place when you consider everything else. Ned told Jon his blood courses through him, but didn't specify who that Stark blood came from. Melisandre clearly believes he's of royal heritage. And why else would Ned feel so compelled to keep Jon's heritage a secret?

Jon and Dany are the last Targaryans.

A Song of Ice and Fire.

a916

Yeah, but two things: Ned and Catelyn, like other nobles, had an arranged marriage; they grew to love and trust each other after time. But we don't know exactly when that turning point happened. Also, knowing Ned, if this were true, he was probably sworn to secrecy.

It's plausible that the safest course of action, for both Jon and his marriage, was for Ned to continue the ruse, enjoy the fact that he and Catelyn worked past the common enough "indiscretion" and emerged with a loving marriage, yet also incorporate Jon into the family, so to speak.

Maybe he couldn't trust that she would keep a lid on it, even treating him other than a bastard might have raised suspicion and may have gotten not only Jon killed, but probably the rest of the family as well.

These both make too much sense... hmm.

Saw episode. Was alright. Had better energy than the previous ones. I like Tyrion's scenes. I miss the dwarf. He needs to bounce back to the sharp-edged political mind that I know he is. It was nice, him counselling Dany.

Cersei lol

The zombies attack was okay. Quite fun. Jon's smashing one of the headhonchos into a million iceflakes was a bit abrupt, but yeah okay. I like the leaderzombies design. Fits well with "white walker"

Arya's arc is not very engaging to me, atm

Prine

Banned
Oh LORD what an episode! So THATS where the budget went, maaan it really shows.

The choreography and special effects were like a big budget movie, and unlike the previous GoT battles this felt like a real slog. Perfectly paced with lots of thrills...and that ending! I thought Jon was going to die or atleast be cut down in some way.

What a battle.

MikeyB

I've re-watched season 1-4 twice in the last 3 weeks (as I've posted about often).

I would disagree that there haven't been major shifts this season -- the alliance between the Tyrells and Lannisters as well as the opposing alliance of the Tyrells and Baelish have been front and center. We also have a new lord commander, and we see the Boltons attempting to unifying the north behind them. Across the narrow sea, Danaerys has been losing her grip on Meereen and probably Yunkai and Astapor as well. Finally, we've seen the rise of the faith militant as the army of the people.

Alright, I do have to admit that the Sparrow/Tyrell/Lannister story has been a good one. That said, I don't think it was a serious struggle until the jailing of Cersei. Marjory and Loris hadn't actually exerted much influence. She had only got started with Tommen, but leverage didn't translate into much with him being spineless. I sort of see her jailing as inconsequential until Cersei was jailed. The Crown went from being a useless pushover torn between two people to being a useless pushover with nobody to push him. If Littlefinger had occupied that vacuum or Lady Tyrrell, that would have been a big shift. If they had focused more on the shift of popular support from Crown to Church, without so much exposition, that would have been a fantastic story. In short, loved the arc, but thought the focus was off and the pace was slow.

As for Danerys, she is in the same position as the end of the last season - a bumbling ruler in a city she doesn't understand. Sure, she has Tyrion at her side, but that hasn't stopped the Harpies or anything and there are two episodes left. Whatever happens, it will seem to jump from a standstill or reverse.

While Jon has a change of title, I don't see his relationship with the Watch to be very different. Essentially outcast, seen by many as a traitor, and Sam is in danger without him there.

Stannis is still plotting conquest but with no gains in the seven kingdoms. Still moving pieces on a map in the firelight.

Sansa, well, same situation, different sadist.

I know I probably sound terribly pessimistic. Thing is, I do love the show and this season. It feels very very different and, until recently, was leaning slightly more towards soap opera pacing than I'd like.

Fanuilos

I think Tyrion may be the first person to tell Dany, "Hey, maybe you should just forget this whole Westeros thing." Other characters have advised her to wait and build up power, but Tyrion was flat out telling her to stay in Essos. He went through all of the major houses, but he didn't mention the Martells. Tyrion makes Dany bearable, and he seems to have quite a bit of influence over her already.

Prine

Banned
Ned would be proud of his boy :) Warms my heart seeing his lad achieving greatness.

Theon letting the cat out the bag, Arya being sent off on a mission, Cerci being slapped about. Man what a gift to Team Stark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom