• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venture

I was under the impression there was a truths between the First Men and CotF and they fought the White Walkers together.

Yep. From what I recall that's how it went down.
You're exactly right. I'm rewatching the lore videos now (damn, they are so good) and had it mixed up. There was a truce with The First Men and The Children. It was the Andals that came later and slaughtered The Children of the Forest.

Everybody who has died throughout the show is probably better off after seeing that ......

Edit - Also -

18nojf.jpg

UrbanRats

Yeah first really good episode of the season.

Although i didn't get the argument about "breaking the wheel", you're a Targaryen, so you getting to power by killing everyone else just keeps the wheel spinning, it's not like you're instituting a democracy or whatever.

Also, ffs Jorah get over it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah first really good episode of the season.

Although i didn't get the argument about "breaking the wheel", you're a Targaryen, so you getting to power by killing everyone else just keeps the wheel spinning, it's not like you're instituting a democracy or whatever.

Also, ffs Jorah get over it.
I'm thinking that's exactly what she means - she is going to create a democracy or some kind of republic.

purg3

slept with Malkin
That moment you go to post in the thread and your're like "what the hell is everyone talking about." And then you realized you clicked on the spoiler thread by mistake....

Fucking Mondays.

macewank

I can't remember exactly what site it was... but I read it last week and it was pretty cool.. Basically, it was like.. a recap of the episode, and then at the bottom they went piece by piece and compared what happens in the show and what happens in the book to show what, if any differences there were..

Anyone happen to know what that was off the top of their head? It's driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it was a major news/media type site too.

I can't remember exactly what site it was... but I read it last week and it was pretty cool.. Basically, it was like.. a recap of the episode, and then at the bottom they went piece by piece and compared what happens in the show and what happens in the book to show what, if any differences there were..

Anyone happen to know what that was off the top of their head? It's driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it was a major news/media type site too.

ign does that

Calcium

Banned
That was an amazing episode. The scenes with Tyrion and Daenerys and the confrontation with the Wildlings were spectacular and on top of that the Army of the Dead appears to make it even better. It's really nice to start seeing things come together. I'll be on the edge of my seat for the rest of this season and probably most of the next one.

Nameless

Jon had like 3 of the 5 most heroic moments in the series in a single episode. Honestly expected Nickelback or Evanescence to start playing in the background.

#givethefuckersafight

UrbanRats

I'm thinking that's exactly what she means - she is going to create a democracy or some kind of republic.
Ok, 'cause she's always using her dragons and huge army as an argument.

Can't wait to see what splendid idea she comes up with /s.
Though having Tyrion on her side already fills me with some hope for her whole side of the story.

It kind of bugs me how the white walkers shatter on impact.

They need to make dragonglass arrows ASAP and get their best archers on it.

If Ramsay wins the fight... that would suck.

This episode was great. Hopefully it continues.

Sad because I have a feeling he is. I feel like we haven't had one of those classic GoT "fuck all of you" moments of this season.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What an amazing episode. So many great scenes I don't even know where to begin...

WW walking towards Jon as the fire around him parts. Damn.
Wide shot of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. Damn.
Creepy as FUCK undead children. Damn.
Cool Wildling lady getting ate alive. Damn.
Giant going hard as fuck in the paint. Damn.
Undead running off a cliff giving zero fucks. Damn.
Jonny Snows giving that shook as fuck WW the Valyrian pipe, shattering all his shit up. Damn.
Night king raising his new dead army, holding up his arms like: "What's good, Jonny Snows? Come fuck wit cha boy." God Damn.

image.png

Acrylic7

I know we could complete the sentence, "If I was in that scenario, I would..." a million times.. But it would have been such a good idea for Jon to pick up the White Walker's weapon that it dropped. Not only does it have the power to break metal weapons and help him escape, but if he brought it back to Castle Black, there would be no way anyone would not take the situation seriously with evidence like that.

Yup. I would have stolen that shit and ran.

Plasma

Banned
You go on ahead I'll be right behind you. Yeah could tell that woman was going to die as soon as she said that.

Great episode looks like the slow start to the season is paying off, I hope the next two episodes are as good.

Why would there be human agents working for White Walkers?

White Walkers look like they kill everybody and turn them into zombies/hivemind, there's like no reason to side with them.

White Walkers look like they kill everybody and turn them into zombies/hivemind, there's like no reason to side with them.

Have you forgotten the old dude who was banging his daughters was doing?

He was supplying his new born boys to the White Walkers, so there might be reason to work for them, even if in the back of your mind you know it's only lasting as long as they want the agreement to last

Now... getting agents over the wall is another question, and honestly having a specific character mentioned a while back is quite a fucking reach and it makes me question how that outcome was reached.

Sounds like what they do over at IGN.

I'd love an episode dedicated only to the white walkers, I want to know more about their background and their reasoning because right now they're just killing for the sake of killing and aside from a handful of generals and leaders that we've seen, the rest have been mindless dead that would serve no purpose outside of killing, at which point if they do kill everyone, then what...they just stand around for the rest of eternity with no purpose?

Lorcain

But it would have been such a good idea for Jon to pick up the White Walker's weapon that it dropped. Not only does it have the power to break metal weapons and help him escape, but if he brought it back to Castle Black, there would be no way anyone would not take the situation seriously with evidence like that.
I would've been worried that just touching the weapon would be insta-freeze for a mortal. You're right though, it would've been very compelling evidence if it could be handled.

TeddyBoy

What an episode. My favourite of the season and definitely in my top four (Blackwater, The Wall and Episode 8 last season).

So much amazing action, seeing the mother wildling die was sad but expected after she said bye to her children.

Cersei in the cells was great and it's so satisfying see her slowly break.

Dany and Tyrion seem to work well together and they'll make a great team, now just get Varys to Maureen.

Ramsay has his plan for the Stannis but I really hope it completely backfires and Ramsay dies instead.

Something that amazed me about this episode was how good the battle scene was considering it only took place in the back third of the episode. All of the other battle episodes have been pretty clear "this episode is just about the battle" so you got psyched up for it. Then this fight comes almost out of nowhere and manages to be at least as good as the Wall and Blackwater. Wow. I don't normally rewatch the episodes right away but I think I'll have to do that with this one.

Varys still missing though, which is a bummer.

zewone

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/1/8695901/game-of-thrones-adaptation-hardhome

Jon Snow is our new action hero saviour. Fuck Batman, he's the real darkknight.

It took a looong fucking time for the white walkers to make a proper appearance though, holy shit. Even I was starting to wonder if the were real, no wonder the Westerosis don't give a fuck.

komplanen

Good damn good episode.

- I'm getting a feeling Jon will end up being the "big death" of this season.

- Also I kinda feel like Cercei on the other hand is being built up to make it out and fucking revenge-kill every barefoot lunatic in King's Landing

- Little Crow asking questions will probably die saving Jon, if Jon doesn't die

- Or red-beard might die that way

All in all this episode proved you don't need amazing 10/10 Sand Snake woman to have a good episode

Have you forgotten the old dude who was banging his daughters was doing?

He was supplying his new born boys to the White Walkers, so there might be reason to work for them, even if in the back of your mind you know it's only lasting as long as they want the agreement to last

Now... getting agents over the wall is another question, and honestly having a specific character mentioned a while back is quite a fucking reach and it makes me question how that outcome was reached.

It was me just spitballing. Sounded good , and would be an interesting twist. That and I despise LF so for him to be an agent for the WW would be a fitting discovery that would allow everyone else to hate him too. Purposefully keeping Westeros at War with itself so as to make sure when the WW do invade the land is broken and divided and weakened.

boxter432

How big do you think Gendry's arms are now? Dude's been rowing for quite some time. Guessing he could blacksmith some Valyrian steel!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Someone needs to edit Sand Snake boobies on the White Walkers so we can have the perfect episode.

squadr0n

Best Episode of the Entire Series IMO

Maybe not even for this series, I mean just from the production value alone this episode is an amazing achievement in television production. I cant even think of another show that has been able to come even close to delivering these amazing battles at that scale without a movie sized budget, and that was just one episode.

If characters on the show didnt consider the White Walkers a serious threat yet, they are shitting their pants now lol. Since these actions havent taken place yet in the books I wonder if GRRM had any input on this battle at all or if the show runners came up with this on their own and if in the books something completely different was meant to happen.
I really dont want this show to end up like the original Full Metal Alchemist anime series, where the manga wasnt finished before the show and they had to start making everything up after a certain point and basically went a completely different route than the source material.

Predictions for whats to come after the reveal of how powerful the White Walkers are:

Basically everything is building to the point where the Walkers are going to just push down through Westeroes killing everything in their path building the biggest army anyone has ever seen. John Snow (definitely half Stark and half Targaryen) Leads the battle against the White Walkers because only he can along with help from every army thats still standing.

Once the end is nearly in sight and all hope is lost, Dany Targaryen swoops in with her Dragons and army to save the day in which leads to her to the Iron Throne. Her Dragons will probably be able to defeat the White Walkers all by them selves and is probably why the Walkers havent attacked until they thought all the Dragons were gone.

Best Episode of the Entire Series IMO

Maybe not even for this series, I mean just from the production value alone this episode is an amazing achievement in television production. I cant even think of another show that has been able to come even close to delivering these amazing battles at that scale without a movie sized budget, and that was just one episode.

If characters on the show didnt consider the White Walkers a serious threat yet, they are shitting their pants now lol. Since these actions havent taken place yet in the books I wonder if GRRM had any input on this battle at all or if the show runners came up with this on their own and if in the books something completely different was meant to happen.
I really dont want this show to end up like the original Full Metal Alchemist anime series, where the manga wasnt finished before the show and they had to start making everything up after a certain point and basically went a completely different route than the source material.

Predictions for whats to come after the reveal of how powerful the White Walkers are:

Basically everything is building to the point where the Walkers are going to just push down through Westeroes killing everything in their path building the biggest army anyone has ever seen. John Snow (definitely half Stark and half Targaryen) Leads the battle against the White Walkers because only he can along with help from every army thats still standing.

Once the end is nearly in sight and all hope is lost, Dany Targaryen swoops in with her Dragons and army to save the day in which leads to her to the Iron Throne. Her Dragons will probably be able to defeat the White Walkers all by them selves and is probably why the Walkers havent attacked until they thought all the Dragons were gone.

Last time White Walkers attacked Dragons had nothing to do with anything, it was just The First Men and The Children of the Forrest.

I said it before, I highly doubt the series is going to end like this. It reminds me of something I heard in highschool before the great depression. "A stock broker was getting his hair cut and his barber was talking about the stock market and giving advice about trading, he knew then something was horribly going wrong."

I feel something like that is happening, anyone with a brain can see that Danny's dragons are the trump card, and I highly doubt this story is going to string us along for two to three more seasons just so we can see what has been so obvious for the past few years.

I think the most logical thing is we're missing something, that things are not as they seem and we're being strung along just so more expectations can be subverted.

Nameless

I'd love an episode dedicated only to the white walkers, I want to know more about their background and their reasoning because right now they're just killing for the sake of killing and aside from a handful of generals and leaders that we've seen, the rest have been mindless dead that would serve no purpose outside of killing, at which point if they do kill everyone, then what...they just stand around for the rest of eternity with no purpose?

Yeah I get the impression that the Wights are mindless minions/foot soldiers, the regular White Walkers are the captains and lieutenants, and the robed/horse back Walkers are the equivalent to Liege Lords.

As to their motivations, I think it goes back to Melisandre's conversation with Shireen last season.

https://youtu.be/I1ymWSM-cmc

The Lord of Darknesss will win the eternal war with The Lord of Light if & when all life has been extinguished from the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom