• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

An interview with Hanna Waddingham who plays Unella, the Septa attempting to torment Cersei into confessing.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/hannah-waddingham-on-cersei-drama-got-fashion.html
29-hannah-waddingham-chatroom-silo.w245.h368.png

Nameless

Hopefully Cersei is indeed the last person the Septa sees before she dies. When Qyburn said, "There is another way...." I got very excited thinking it was Mountain time.

sangreal

Arya's hidden sword is Valyrian steel, yes?

yes

e: oops, no dude above is right. it is just castle-forged steel -- ned recognized the work of winterfell's smith

Brienne's sword is valyrian steel, as is the other one forged from Ned's old greatsword

The Cowboy

Already answered a lot.
---
Watched it again but this time with the home theatre on LOUD, the battle is insane and sounds great with the eerie wind blowing all over the place.

rando14

The only Valryian Steel sword we've seen on the show and is currently unaccounted for is Joffrey's "Widow's Wail".

Probly in the possession of Tommen the Unworthy by now

EDIT: "During the funeral service held in the Great Sept of Baelor, the sword is placed along Joffrey's corpse."

Well I guess they could just waste it too...

Yeah I get the impression that the Wights are mindless minions/foot soldiers, the regular White Walkers are the captains and lieutenants, and the robed/horse back Walkers are the equivalent to Liege Lords.

As to their motivations, I think it goes back to Melisandre's conversation with Shireen last season.

https://youtu.be/I1ymWSM-cmc

The Lord of Darknesss will win the eternal war with The Lord of Light if & when all life has been extinguished from the world.

Something I find interesting is that she says that the people who they burned in the ceremony are in a better place and that the fire cleansed them of the sins of the world, following that she says that there is only one hell, the one we live in now.

In which case, why not just burn everyone including yourself and free yourselves from the sins of the earth, spare everyone the wrath of winter/hell and send them off to a better place? If the world is indeed the only hell, the one in which they live in, then why try to preserve it?

The part I underlined isn't in the video, but I guess Meli's higher purpose is not to save mankind, but to win the war between the Lord of Light, and Lord of Darkness. Hence the reason for not just burning everyone and sparing them of the sins of the world.

Gah, why has it taken 7 episodes to get great? The last episode was good and this was even better. Before this though, it's just been a lot of twiddling of thumbs! All gonna be done in a couple of episodes. :/

Every Maester who has studied the higher mysteries also wears a Valyrian link around their neck according to Maester Luwin in season 2 when he's talking to Bran about his dreams and magic. But, how many Maesters are there, not to mention the size of the actual link, you couldn't even make a single sword out of it. Pointless comment really, lol.

Blader

How big do you think Gendry's arms are now? Dude's been rowing for quite some time. Guessing he could blacksmith some Valyrian steel!

Ha, I keep forgetting about Gendry and couldn't remember where he was left off last we saw him. I'm also wondering if/when the Brotherhood without Banners will ever make another appearance.

Nerokis

At this point, I would be more shocked to find out Rhaegar and Ned's sister weren't Jon's parents. Season 5 has leaned more into that conclusion than ever. I think over the course of a single episode, we had:

1). Aemon is talking to Sam about how sad it is that Dany will be the last Targaryan when he passes away. Boom, Jon walks in right on cue.
2). In Winterfell's crypt, Sansa pays her respects to Ned's sister, her aunt. Littlefinger appears and tells the story of how Rhaegar chose her. Sansa is under the impression that Rhaegar ultimately raped her.
3). Dany and Semly have a nice discussion about Rhaegar.
4). I'm not 100% sure this happened in the same episode, but Stannis' "that wasn't Ned's way..." line spoke volumes.

And it just falls into place when you consider everything else. Ned told Jon his blood courses through him, but didn't specify who that Stark blood came from. Melisandre clearly believes he's of royal heritage. And why else would Ned feel so compelled to keep Jon's heritage a secret?

Jon and Dany are the last Targaryans.

MikeyB

every season except 4 was like this
I suggest you rewatch the other seasons. If you treat action as including both major battles and major shift in power and relationships, this season has been glacial until recently.

The power dynamics in season 1-4 are the heart of the action. Notably static in this season.

sangreal

I suggest you rewatch the other seasons. If you treat action as including both major battles and major shift in power and relationships, this season has been glacial until recently.

The power dynamics in season 1-4 are the heart of the action. Notably static in this season.

I've re-watched season 1-4 twice in the last 3 weeks (as I've posted about often).

I would disagree that there haven't been major shifts this season -- the alliance between the Tyrells and Lannisters as well as the opposing alliance of the Tyrells and Baelish have been front and center. We also have a new lord commander, and we see the Boltons attempting to unifying the north behind them. Across the narrow sea, Danaerys has been losing her grip on Meereen and probably Yunkai and Astapor as well. Finally, we've seen the rise of the faith militant as the army of the people.

The only filler has been the shitty dorn plot

Semajer

Can the white walkers raise someone who has been dead for years? Or do they need to be fresh? For example could they raise Renly if they came across his tomb?

I really hope they can. There's nothing I want more than to see a reanimated direwolf Robb ripping people to shreds.

If Olly was serious about getting back at those Wildlings that killed his family he would go after Tourmond since he was the one actually doing the deeds.

Taking it out on Sam or Jon or any other Nights Watch is petty.

Nameless

Something I find interesting is that she says that the people who they burned in the ceremony are in a better place and that the fire cleansed them of the sins of the world, following that she says that there is only one hell, the one we live in now.

In which case, why not just burn everyone including yourself and free yourselves from the sins of the earth, spare everyone the wrath of winter/hell and send them off to a better place? If the world is indeed the only hell, the one in which they live in, then why try to preserve it?

The part I underlined isn't in the video, but I guess Meli's higher purpose is not to save mankind, but to win the war between the Lord of Light, and Lord of Darkness. Hence the reason for not just burning everyone and sparing them of the sins of the world.

After this episode it's hard to argue with her. Imagine what we saw last night, x100, in the pitch black frozen wasteland of Winter -- packs of giant spiders and other abominations fighting alongside death's minions. Every life they take the larger the Army of Death grows. varysnope.gif. Everyone who's died already should consider themselves lucky they don't have to witness what's coming.

The only hope are Dragons and Daeny has done fuck all to train them...guess that's where Bran comes in.

sangreal

If Olly was serious about getting back at those Wildlings that killed his family he would go after Tourmond since he was the one actually doing the deeds.

Taking it out on Sam or Jon or any other Nights Watch is petty.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid he is gonna kill john. They've just done too much foreshadowing w/ those Olly stares

number11

Wow..

If the final two episodes are just as good, I can easily forget how poor this season has been. Apparently episode 10 is gonna be insane.

I remember when people were hating on Jon and Daenerys.. those two storylines are by far the most interesting in the show (Thanks to Tyrion in the case of Daenerys).

Garruson

I feel bad for the sillies that decided to stop watching two episodes back, they're even sillier if they decided to watch again though, because hypocrisy.

Episode was amazing, want more giants! Jon is GOAT.

Wow..

If the final two episodes are just as good, I can easily forget how poor this season has been. Apparently episode 10 is gonna be insane.

I remember when people were hating on Jon and Daenerys.. those two storylines are by far the most interesting in the show (Thanks to Tyrion in the case of Daenerys).

im glad you clarified that point since tyrion makes everybody better

I don't think Tyrion makes Danaerys interesting. He didn't make Shae interesting. It's just good to see Tyrion in his element again.

Whether it's interesting or not is mostly personal preference, but there's no doubt Tyrion will at least bring some competence to Danaerys' terrible rule (so far).

sangreal

At this point, I would be more shocked to find out Rhaegar and Ned's sister weren't Jon's parents. Season 5 has leaned more into that conclusion than ever. I think over the course of a single episode, we had:

1). Aemon is talking to Sam about how sad it is that Dany will be the last Targaryan when he passes away. Boom, Jon walks in right on cue.
2). In Winterfell's crypt, Sansa pays her respects to Ned's sister, her aunt. Littlefinger appears and tells the story of how Rhaegar chose her. Sansa is under the impression that Rhaegar ultimately raped her.
3). Dany and Semly have a nice discussion about Rhaegar.
4). I'm not 100% sure this happened in the same episode, but Stannis' "that wasn't Ned's way..." line spoke volumes.

And it just falls into place when you consider everything else. Ned told Jon his blood courses through him, but didn't specify who that Stark blood came from. Melisandre clearly believes he's of royal heritage. And why else would Ned feel so compelled to keep Jon's heritage a secret?

Jon and Dany are the last Targaryans.

Yup, you pretty much sum it all up here. I don't see how it can go any other way

Whether it's interesting or not is mostly personal preference, but there's no doubt Tyrion will at least bring some competence to Danaerys' terrible rule (so far).

Fair enough. I've been pretty staunchly against Dany this whole time, and I still don't think she's the rightful ruler of Westeros, but perhaps she doesn't need to be if she has proper advisors that she actually listens to.

sangreal

Tyrion and Danaerys is great, but I cannot wait for Varys to join the club...

...once he realizes Tyrion isn't coming back from that piss

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So what are you Stannis Stans going to do if he kills his little girl for more power?

He's either going to do that or get the pipe on the battlefield at this point. Either way it's going to be devastating for you guys...

I almost want Ramsy to give it to Stannis just to watch the meltdowns... but that little girl is fucked if that happens so screw that noise.

Holy shit, what a great episode.

Just everything in the final scene had me squealing like the fanboy I am. The whitewalker at the end starring up Jon being all big dick. The four Whitewalkers on the horses staring down from off the cliff. The giant smashing and throwing around skeleton warriors. Jon fighting the Whitewalker. I didn't realise my dick was out until the credits started rolling.

What a way to remember why I watch this show because the rest of this season has really made me worry. As long as they keep doing the cool shit I will always keep watching.
nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I've always rooted for Danaerys to take the Iron Throne and I still believe it'll happen but I talked to someone @ work who thinks Jon will be sitting on the throne in the end...

...like, what? That doesn't even begin to make sense. Jon Snow is bound by the Night Watch and doesn't have an army nor has he ever displayed such ambitions. Westeros deserves it's Dragon Queen.

mr-paul

I can't remember exactly what site it was... but I read it last week and it was pretty cool.. Basically, it was like.. a recap of the episode, and then at the bottom they went piece by piece and compared what happens in the show and what happens in the book to show what, if any differences there were..

Anyone happen to know what that was off the top of their head? It's driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it was a major news/media type site too.

It might be the reviews at The AV Club that you're thinking of.

They do a review for newbies who haven't read the books, and one for experts who have. The second link being the one you want to read if you want differences from the books. Definitely my choice of post GoT reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom