• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

I like to skip those segments :p

Also my coworker asked me bewildered "Did people like Stannis? Why?" And I couldn't give a straight answer. Why did we liked him again?

I think we got behind him because we were like, yeah, he saved Jon, he's going to Winterfell and save Sansa, and then he's going to wreck shop in King's Landing!

Everybody's talking about Shireen but early on in the episode, Stannis had his own camp guards chained up and then hanged for letting Ramsay's dudes through. Foreshadowing.

brau

There's a complexity to his character that goes well beyond just "YO, BRO JUST KILLED HIS KID!"- and although his sense of justice and divinity is absolutely brutal, he also showed aspects of honor that (apparently) he made a name for himself over the years with. I feel like, more than a lot of characters on this show, Stannis could easily be viewed as a tragic character. He's an honorable man that became engulfed and brainwashed by religious zealotry. Even if he does win the Iron Throne, I feel like the cost will be too great for him to ever bear. He had one last piece of humanity to hold onto- and it just went up in a sacrificial fire.

This show/story is fascinating, but constantly heartbreaking.

I think its interesting to see him physically as the show goes on. Lately he is more ruffled. Not as well taken care of. He looks almost tired, and unstable. I do think he is spiraling into the kind of madness that the mad king was known for.

Stannis_Baratheon.png

game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-9-hbo.jpg

Honestly, i always felt Stannis wanted to be just, he had good reason and he pushed certain boundaries. But this really throws him into the bad guy tier. The story of the Dragons and her daughters answer was very innocent and i guess in my mind the correct one. But we all know that in the game of thrones, the innocent are the first ones to be punished and suffer.

It hurt... and i dunno how i felt about the mother trying to take it back. I think i am more surprised that i didn't feel much empathy towards her, since she has been horrible since the very start. I wonder what kind of backlash this will have when it comes between her and Stannis.

I fucking loved Stannis because I think he's a great characters and has an amazing actor.
That doesn't mean I agree with the characters actions but he and Davos have been one of my favorite parts of the show.

I actually wanted him to get to the Nuclear Iron Throne until he burned his daughter.

I know it was supposed to be a big moment, but that entire time Dany was flying away, all I could think was "man she sure left all her biggest supporters and friends at the mercy of the harpies." (Yeah,yeah we are to assume that Drogon routed them, but there still seemed to be quite a lot of them when she escaped).

-Good luck guys, I'M OUT. Sry there's only room for one on this dragon.

sangreal

I know it was supposed to be a big moment, but that entire time Dany was flying away, all I could think was "man she sure left all her biggest supporters and friends at the mercy of the harpies." (Yeah,yeah we are to assume that Drogon routed them, but there still seemed to be quite a lot of them when she escaped).

-Good luck guys, I'M OUT. Sry there's only room for one on this dragon.

Yeah, that was pretty funny... Should have at least torched them from the air

wildfire

Banned
Yea. He's shown doubt before. This is what faith is.

Him torching his extended family did him no favors at the Black Water, for example.

He failed at Blackwater probably because he left his red mage at home because he wanted all the credit for himself as Davos advised.

Carbonox

Cause he came to the aid of the Nightwatch , has the Onion knight by his side and was/is the only hope for the Boltons to get wrecked. He kinda lost most of his support after that sacrifice though.

Stannis is a necessary evil IMO. He's one of the incredibly few chances at getting the results the people need/want despite being cunty mccunty for all of eternity (I will never like him especially after the last episode). Once he's delivered some results he can then get merked hopefully.

Got to hand it to Stephen Dillane, he's really selling Stannis' desperation and situation. His expression as Shireen burnt was of an utterly broken man.

Oh I think we're going to top that in terms of broken. If he doesn't die fast, he's going to look back on everything he's done and his failures and he is going to cry like a baby.

brau

Yeah. When they stabbed him I was like "umm, so I guess he wasn't a harpy after all" and felt bad for him.

Can't say i felt bad haha. Actually i was mentioning earlier in that episode to my wife how annoying he was. Only to see him get stabbed a few mins later. LOL. Couldn't help but make a witty remark. His character was annoying.

Got to hand it to Stephen Dillane, he's really selling Stannis' desperation and situation. His expression as Shireen burnt was of an utterly broken man.

Young Stannis must have been a bad ass. Stupid Renly if he only bent the knee Stannis would have been King, Renly would have been hand the Lanisters would have been dead and Ned Stark would still be in the North with his family. =(

I wonder how those Baratheon family reunions would go?
Robert, Renly, and Stannis would likely provide some entertaining discussions over a roasting boar and wine. ;)

brau

I hope Arya doesn't go through with killing Trant, as much as he deserves it I don't want her to fuck up her training.

For some reason her arc has been proving very uninteresting. Her mentor on the other hand i find fascinating. But Arya overall... seems to have fallen in a very weird place.

I hope Arya doesn't go through with killing Trant, as much as he deserves it I don't want her to fuck up her training.

What's the endgame of Arya's story arc if she follows through with her training and forgets her past to become nobody? Her list and path would be kinda pointless IMO. I said this earlier, but its' clear she doesn't want to completely let go. Evidenced by her hiding sting.

For some reason her arch has been proving very uninteresting. Her mentor on the other hand i find fascinating. But Arya overall... seems to have fallen in a very weird place.

She's been and up and down arc through the seasons. I didn't think this training would slow her arc down so much though.

Stannis is a cunt!! I respected him before but he's dead to me now, even Ramsay wouldn't sink that low. Sooner someone ends him and the redhead the better. Fighting pits were awesome though, I loled at that decapitation after the convo about speed vs power :D The ending was epic as well, I never expected to see that, awesome stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
What's the endgame of Arya's story arc if she follows through with her training and forgets her past to become nobody? Her list and path would be kinda pointless IMO. I said this earlier, but its' clear she doesn't want to completely let go. Evidenced by her hiding sting.

Right, but maybe *after* the training? I mean poisoning someone isn't really something that she needed training for.

Maybe that is what Jaqen expected/wanted when he said you'll see what you're meant to see.

Ya I thought maybe any death would suffice... but if she kills him she's no longer a nobody.

Do you mean 'Needle' or is this some new meme I've missed? :p

Whew. That was an episode...

I've never liked the character of Stannis so much as I was fascinated by him. He is like... the starkest definition of Lawful Neutral there is, a man who is so bound up in honor and what is Right by Law that he will go to any length to enforce it. The thing is... I don't think he even wants to be king, not really. He just thinks he HAS to be king. Not just because it's his by succession but because he's been so twisted around this idea that only he can protect the realm from the terrors Melissandre keeps warning him about.

Him sacrificing his daughter is completely tragic but also the logical course of his arc because he's essentially giving up all his humanity at this point because he feels like he has no other option. In his eyes, giving up now is damning the entire world and he was forced in a situation where the only option left open to him was the most horrible one. He took it because he had to, but it's obviously left him broken.

I don't want Stannis to die. I want to see him deal with the ramifications of what he's done. I want him to win Winterfell and then get stuck there for the long winter and stew a bit and see him question if it was worth it the whole time.

Right, but maybe *after* the training? I mean poisoning someone isn't really something that she needed training for.

I don't think the killing part is her training. The many faced God seems to like riddles though so who the fuck knows.

Do you mean 'Needle' or is this some new meme I've missed? :p

Yes I do. Where the hell did I get sting. I feel like it's from some recent movie or show or something lol.

XNarte

I don't think the killing part is her training. The many faced God seems to like riddles though so who the fuck knows.

Yes I do. Where the hell did I get sting. I feel like it's from some recent movie or show or something lol.

Lol its from the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings

Stupid Renly if he only bent the knee Stannis would have been King, Renly would have been hand the Lanisters would have been dead and Ned Stark would still be in the North with his family. =(

Margaery would never let Renly bend the knee. She wouldn't settle for wife of hand when her ambition have always been queen .She's after all currently at her third king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom