• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catdaddy

They'll bring in M Night Shyamalan for next season and we'll find out the White Walkers are truly the good guys and all the humans are bad.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't think we'll be spoiled by the show. The book and show at this point will have completely different story lines. Having never read the book, I'm still more interested in GRRM's story rather then whatever they decide to make for the show.

I hope so honestly. I like the differences between the two. I understand that different mediums require alterations.

If it was the reverse, and GoT was a show turned into books, I'd expect the same level of alteration and expansions of character and plot, just because of the differences in medium.

Ok, that's all I wanted to say about books/show stuff.

Very pumped for what's next.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
First episode I hated thoroughly. It feels as if D&D cannot be left to their own devices or write their own material without major guidance, because this season has been rather mediocre and finished with the lowest ender of the entire show. Fucking amateur hour stuff.

And Jon Snu's death was AWFUL. I really hope Meli pulls a fast one on the Night Watch's and brings him back to life in pure Thoros fashion, because goddamn.

borborygmus

That's not a name that's been mentioned on the show.

Yeah, time to quit the thread I think. There's some kind of strange compulsion by book readers to come into this thread and post about things that we have no idea about.

I just don't get this compulsion to come in here. Why this burning need to discuss book stuff in the non book thread?

Inglip

Neo Member
Lena was pregnant. They had to CGI her body. Just imagine that scene with Lena's swollen belly.

af0ceQvl.jpg

Oh.. Makes even more sense then.

I don't think we'll be spoiled by the show. The book and show at this point will have completely different story lines. Having never read the book, I'm still more interested in GRRM's story rather then whatever they decide to make for the show.

GRRM has already shared with the showrunners the outline for the rest of the books, and he consults on the show all the time, letting them know what will happen and how.

The finer details may differ, but the core will be similar.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Lena was pregnant. They had to CGI her body. Just imagine that scene with Lena's swollen belly.

af0ceQvl.jpg

I suspected it was CGI for a number of reasons. But the biggest was that Cersei is nowhere near that busty. That was the body of a 21 year old.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I thought that stannis was still alive. You can't have a character like Stannis go out like that. We watched his daughter die and all, then they are scared to show a sword killing of Stannis? ... I think she may have just cut his injured leg or something,

As for jon snow.... Didn't the red hair lady say that the guy she saw in the fire will upset and let down his family in the process of becoming king or whatever. Maybe that is Jon snow letting down and upsetting the Knights watch with all of his decisions. I don't know.

Great episode

Also I don't want any of this coming back from the dead stuff to be honest.... Why don't we just bring everyone back from the dead. The only ones should be those white walker people

First episode I hated thoroughly. It feels as if D&D cannot be left to their own devices or write their own material without major guidance, because this season has been rather mediocre and finished with the lowest ender of the entire show. Fucking amateur hour stuff.

And Jon Snu's death was AWFUL. I really hope Meli pulls a fast one on the Night Watch's and brings him back to life in pure Thoros fashion, because goddamn.

Considering people think books 4 and 5 are a steep drop in quality over the first three, I would say the source material is at fault here, not the showrunners.

aravuus

They'll bring in M Night Shyamalan for next season and we'll find out the White Walkers are truly the good guys and all the humans are bad.

Tbh the humans are already the biggest cunts in the show

White walkers and the zombies don't seem to give a fuck about anything else than killing everyone in the world. At least they're honest about it.

Considering people think books 4 and 5 are a steep drop in quality over the first three, I would say the source material is at fault here, not the showrunners.

A bit of both, maybe

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The books may have a reputation of being worse than 1, 2 and 3, but with how great the finale turned out (and Dance of Dragons being one of the best episodes of the series) I have to say Season 5 turned out to be the 2nd best Season so far, bested only by the immaculate Season 4.

Season 2 remains the worst.

BunnyBear

Agreed. Pacing this season was shit and a half. They had nothing going on for like 5-6 episodes and then felt like they rushed through everything at breakneck speed.

Exactly, how many plots made giant leaps forward tonight?

Arya
Sansa and Reek
Stannis
Jon Snow
Sam and Gilly
Cersei
Myrcella and Jaime
Khaleesi
Tyrion, Jorah and Varys

It jumped around way too much and Jon's death felt so understated with the tiny amount of screen time he received in his final episode.

There was no need for, say, Arya, the Dorne stuff and Cersei to be stockpiled until the season finale. That could have been unravelled early in the season when fuck-all happened and be done and dusted by Ep7. Grumble grumble. It's a great show but it could have been much better than S5 was. A very uneven season.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member

I'm sure it's a bit of both.

I know it's forbidden to discuss the books here but I'd be interested in hearing a non-spoiling book reader's take on the pacing of this season versus the corresponding books. We know the seasons are only ten episodes long which leaves time at a premium. That available time was managed very poorly this season, in my opinion.

There was too much time dedicated to uninteresting characters, arguably those on the periphery, as well as time retreading old ground and building up storylines without any sense of resolution. It was very Lost-y.

Sometimes I do wonder whether this show would have benefitted more by following a POV-per-episode format.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'm almost convinced now that GRRM chooses how to deal with his characters by throwing a dice. It has sides that say stuff like "Death", "Misfortune" and "Humiliation", then he draws a card at random from a pile with all the characters and just goes from there. He just adapts the overlying plot to what characters he has left.

The books may have a reputation of being worse than 1, 2 and 3, but with how great the finale turned out (and Dance of Dragons being one of the best episodes of the series) I have to say Season 5 turned out to be the 2nd best Season so far, bested only by the immaculate Season 4.

What ? Season 2 was good
Season 5 was the worst by far
1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 5

Ensirius

I just got around to watch the last episode...

Not sure what to say, I am still in shock. John Snow being murdered is one of the worst things that could happen to this show damnit.
Fuck Stannis and the witch whore.

Cersei is the worst bitch on the show, but now that the crazy religious cult is at its peak, I am rooting for her to exterminate them.

Lothar

Banned

Not true, they both have different problems. Books had too much bloat and were too slow. Show if anything felt way too rushed. Especially this episode. All that buildup for Sansa/Theon and Ramsay/Stannis for quick 2 minute scenes was pretty weak.

Cersei's walk was perfect. All endings to stories in the season should have had that level of care, time, and magnitude.

Dany

Banned
I just got around to watch the last episode...

Not sure what to say, I am still in shock. John Snow being murdered is one of the worst things that could happen to this show damnit.
Fuck Stannis and the witch whore.

Cersei is the worst bitch on the show, but now that the crazy religious cult is at its peak, I am rooting for her to exterminate them.

cersies walk was so great

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
GRRM has already shared with the showrunners the outline for the rest of the books, and he consults on the show all the time, letting them know what will happen and how.

The finer details may differ, but the core will be similar.
I've got a feeling that he doesn't quite know we're the story is going though. The number of cliffhangers this season coupled with unresolved plots makes me think that they couldn't show characters dieing in case they remain alive in the books. I mean even Stannis didn't die on screen.

Heads up: the show has reached much of the book's content however that does not mean it's safe to google things. S6 casting reports have confirmed that the show will now be delving into content from the last two books that wasn't covered in S4 or S5. Be careful, avoid book talk in this thread, and PM Cornballer, myself, or other book readers you trust if you have questions about stuff.

I've got a feeling that he doesn't quite know we're the story is going though. The number of cliffhangers this season coupled with unresolved plots makes me think that they couldn't show characters dieing in case they remain alive in the books. I mean even Stannis didn't die on screen.

And that's why people need to cut it out with the Jon will be revived theory because now GRRM will be like, oh you expected that? Too bad, fuck you.

Loakum

Banned
Heads up: the show has reached much of the book's content however that does not mean it's safe to google things. S6 casting reports have confirmed that the show will be now delving into content from the last two books that wasn't covered in S4 or S5. Be careful, avoid book talk in this thread, and PM Cornballer, myself, or other book readers you trust if you have questions about stuff.

The only question I have is that whole Arya is blind scene. I have no idea what just happened. lol

this_guy

Can't wait for Halloween this year because there will be slutty girls dressing
undressing
as Cersei doing her walk of atonement.

Blader

The only question I have is that whole Arya is blind scene. I have no idea what just happened. lol

She wasn't ready to start wearing the faces, so it left her eyes damaged -- her eyes chosen (by the many-faced god?) because she had taken Trant's eyes.

Raistlin

Even if they're just playing us and John gets resurrected or something how do we know that he'll be the same? The mountain is all grey and zombified plus that whole "vow of silence" thing.
Well we don't know. That said, I took the Mountain to be more of a flesh golem in D&D terms. Kind of like Frankenstein's monster. A mix of science plus maybe some magic. There's no reason to assume other methods of 'resurrection' are inherently the same.

Just like how the white walkers appear quite different from the Mountain, it's very possible some other method (Lord of Light) may have pretty different results than either of those.

Deku Tree

They explained it in the show. I haven't read any of the books. When she put on the mask without being ready it was as good as poisoning herself. It was said during the show.

jon got stabbed 6 times, he'll be back for season 6

also the look on davos' face when he learns of shireen's death, retribution will be strong and sharp like the taste of an onion

OeVkjmo.jpg

Who's he going to kill to avenge her death? The red witch? The Boltons? Which kinda brings up that story arc anyway. There was next to no point in any of that arc unless the red witch does something pretty major from here. Maybe that something is to do with John Snow. Maybe she was trying to destroy Stannis the whole time? Unless the whole point of the arc was to set up yet another Brianne FAIL. Jesus lady. Doesn't it make sense that Sansa will finally have an opportunity to light the candle during the "battle". Great ... you got to be the one that put the sword in Stannis when it's clear the dude was gonna fall anyway.

The Arya story arc is kinda meh for me right now. The assassination was fairly predictable. Her "training" is giant mess of riddles though, and apparently so is her punishment. Either way I I think it's clear she doesn't want to drop who she is. She very clearly understood who she was when she was slitting the dudes throat.

I knew something was going to come from that Dorne stuff, but that was a lot of time spent this season just for some poison kiss at the end. I feel like the Dorne's inner conflict regarding the Lannisters / King's Landing Politics could have been explained .... in a more compact manner. Though I guess Dorne's gonna finally get into the mix in Season 6. Though I don't know how the Lannister's can afford to war with them right now. Considering the state of their own affairs.

Cersei and her Zombie mountain will be kinda fun, I guess. I don't like Cersei so it's only fun in that I'm pretty much indifferent about the fates of whoever is left at King's Landing.

Which kinda brings me to my last point. With the death of Snow, I am left with almost nobody to root for. Bran and Sansa's story better pick up in season 6 or I'll be on team White Walker myself. The entirety of the Crows can all get fucked.

Dany finding herself in the middle of a Dothraki army was kinda, fateful. Tyrion is the only reason I give a shit about this arc here though.

Sande

I thought that stannis was still alive. You can't have a character like Stannis go out like that. We watched his daughter die and all, then they are scared to show a sword killing of Stannis? ... I think she may have just cut his injured leg or something,

As for jon snow.... Didn't the red hair lady say that the guy she saw in the fire will upset and let down his family in the process of becoming king or whatever. Maybe that is Jon snow letting down and upsetting the Knights watch with all of his decisions. I don't know.
You don't treat a cut by hacking the leg off. That scene was really weirdly edited though. For half a second I thought Ramsay was killing Brienne and then I just got confused about Stannis. I agree that it's not how you off a main character, but still it would be really misleading if she didn't kill him after all.

I don't know if that was some autocorrect shenanigans but it's Night's Watch. Most people on the wall couldn't be further away from a knight.

[Thoros of Myr]

"It doesn't work that way, child."

[/Thoros of Myr]
I got the picture that it has to be within minutes (if not seconds) of death. Thoros was in a crazy hurry to resurrect Beric in season 3.

Wow, ok. I couldn't disagree more. Season 5 is easily the worst one so far. I'm a bit hazy on season 2 but the fildwire scene alone was fucking amazing and shits all over Hardhome, the only saving grace of this season.

scabro

its definitely both

what the show did end up having, could have handled alot better. they packed too much shit into the finale, it didnt feel like it had room to breathe. while most of the rest of the season i think moved slower than this show ever has before.

Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyCpREHf6k

"eyes you will shut forever"

: OOOOO

yeah for sure there is more to it next season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNIuXV2gLwE

Dayummmmm'. Dat foreshadowing. Blue eyes, green eyes... Even was hinting at the changing of faces. Do they foreshadow this much in the books too? In the show I know they can add extra since the books and plot lines are known, but writer is on point if he knew this much shit in advance while writing. Awesome.

Jon and stannis are dead guys. When you think about it, their arcs are done. Stannis without an army is done, even fire lady knew his arc was finished once they deserted ha. Jon became commander, killed a white walker, brought back the wildlings. He already escalated way beyond simply being a bastard stark, and the watch was relying on his skills both in battle and command for two seasons (or more really) now. Now it will be interesting to see who from the watch rises up.

The stannis advisor dude will probably eventually find out stannis burned the daughter alive to, and he's gonna know fire chick put him up to it. And they are all at the nights watch right now, creating good drama setup for next season. The story of the watch is not ending, it's evolving with new characters and plot lines. I like it

Blader

Wow, ok. I couldn't disagree more. Season 5 is easily the worst one so far. I'm a bit hazy on season 2 but the fildwire scene alone was fucking amazing and shits all over Hardhome, the only saving grace of this season.

Hardhome is the show's best battle scene.

Tyrion is alive because Tyrion is who GRRM thinks he is. The outcast who is looked down upon but is smarter than everyone around him, who won't get the recognition he deserves but who is really the true hero of it all.

I always thought of Sam as GRRM's proxy.

Braag

Damn... it seems like odds are always against Stannis :/
And after what happened with Jon... fuck it, I'm on team white walkers now. I hope they cover the world in ice and rule the land.

Dayummmmm'. Dat foreshadowing. Blue eyes, green eyes... Even was hinting at the changing of faces. Do they foreshadow this much in the books too? In the show I know they can add extra since the books and plot lines are known, but writer is on point if he knew this much shit in advance while writing. Awesome.

Jon and stannis are dead guys. When you think about it, their arcs are done. Stannis without an army is done, even fire lady knew his arc was finished once they deserted ha. Jon became commander, killed a white walker, brought back the wildlings. He already escalated way beyond simply being a bastard stark, and the watch was relying on his skills both in battle and command for two seasons (or more really) now. Now it will be interesting to see who from the watch rises up.

The stannis advisor dude will probably eventually find out stannis burned the daughter alive to, and he's gonna know fire chick put him up to it. And they are all at the nights watch right now, creating good drama setup for next season. The story of the watch is not ending, it's evolving with new characters and plot lines. I like it
The only foreshadowing in the books is done by melisandre. And it's not "LOL YOU GON BE BLIND" level. More subtle, sometimes means nothing too.

kiguel182

If Stannis is dead than they just decided to to a weirdly edited scene for nothing. That cut was bad.

And Jon Snow isn't dead. Not with the witch just arriving there timely too.

In the end Arya is still the biggest waste of time on this show. What she is doing is barely connected with anything. Like, she's blind now. Sucks for her I guess but it has not impact on the rest of the world.

Now, Tyrion ruling is going to be great. I want more Dinklage.

Raistlin

Definitely Dothraki -- not sure if it was Drogo's Khalisar or another one. I imagine there was some significance to her taking that ring off
I suspect acknowledging you remarried after Drogo's death would not be a good move for her. And considering that douche just got skewered anyway, it's not like she has much to cover up beyond the ring.

Of course I'm assuming they used wedding rings in this world, which I'm not sure is the case? If not, then it's likely just a breadcrumb.

Tyrion is alive because Tyrion is who GRRM thinks he is. The outcast who is looked down upon but is smarter than everyone around him, who won't get the recognition he deserves but who is really the true hero of it all.

Watch Tyrion die because of drunkeness or something stupid later on, just cuz.

If Stannis is dead than they just decided to to a weirdly edited scene for nothing. That cut was bad.

And Jon Snow isn't dead. Not with the witch just arriving there timely too.

In the end Arya is still the biggest waste of time on this show. What she is doing is barely connected with anything. Like, she's blind now. Sucks for her I guess but it has not impact on the rest of the world.

Now, Tyrion ruling is going to be great. I want more Dinklage.

They have to be building up Arya's arc to be something greater, I hope the payoff is good. But this is GoT... what payoff? Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom