• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I've been thinking about this.

IIRC, the only thing Mellissandre said to Stannis regarding her latest vision was that she saw Bolton's flag burning, etc. If that was truly the extent of her vision, things may not be as they seem.

The aftermath of the battle showed tons of bodies. While obviously the assumption is the majority were Stannis' troops, we really don't know how bad the Bolton forces got fucked up. It's quite possible they are very depleted, and now are ripe to be taken out by some other attack.

Could the answer be as simple as Mellissandre completely misinterpreting the vision to mean that specific battle would go Stannis' way? That's the thing with visions, you don't always get the context. It's quite possible the vision was true in that Bolton will ultimately lose, but it simply wasn't from that battle. Moreover, that battle may have in fact been necessary to set it up?

The other interesting point is that they never showed Stannis being killed by Brienne. Given the above I have been wondering if Brienne will somehow take out Roose and Ramsey now that they are depleted. But now that I think about it, Brienne may actually have spared Stannis in order to help take out Roose and Ramsey for all we know?

So while Mellissandre's faith could in fact be shaken as things stand, it's quite possible that will change with the realization the vision was still true. She was simply the one that failed to understand it.

Hahaha What she was probably seeing was the aftermath of Littlefingers take over of Winter fall.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
With Stannis dead, Melisandre on the Wall and after all those Jon-Melisandre scenes, are there really people that think Jon is dead for good? :p

He's the main opponent of the Whitwalkers, the greatest evil in the series probably. The only other person that will probably oppose them is Dany, but for now she'll probably be Khaleesi v2.

Sam holds key knowledge of the White Walkers, too, though. He won't go into battle, obviously, but he might hold a major role down the line. He lost his virginity though, so he can't become a wizard.

Qurupeke

Sam holds key knowledge of the White Walkers, too, though. He won't go into battle, obviously, but he might hold a major role down the line. He lost his virginity though, so he can't become a wizard.

If they really have Sam take Jon's place, I'll be hugely disappointed. Unless Mel gives him magic shadow and fire powers.

Moaradin

I don't know if I buy Stannis being dead. That was a weird cutaway. Not something GOT would typically do. Don't believe it until I see the body.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I don't know if I buy Stannis being dead. That was a weird cutaway. Not something GOT would typically do. Don't believe it until I see the body.

It might just be a screenwriter's reverse bluff. They want us to wonder so we'll come back next season. He'll still be dead though.

The Cowboy

Stannis blocked/deflected it and the blade hit Brienne killing her instead, Pod came along tripped over a body and fell on the blade sticking up out of her head.

Blader

In terms of action, sure. In terms of the plot, not a chance. The scene of Rob riding a horse to his waiting mother did more for those characters and the plot than Hardhome. The Battle at Blackwater revealed several characters strengths and weaknesses and was the first step in Tyrion's downfall.

In Hardhome we learned that Valerian steel kills whitewalkers. That's text in an item description rather than a plot point. The wildlings are in roughly the same position, vulnerable in numbers rather than location, the Watch is still on guard for Whitewalkers, and the Whitewalkers continue to randomly march to places and then hang out for a bit.

Also, why in hell would they retreat to a peninsula when the Whitewalkers travel by land and their current enemy (Stannis) by sea? They effectively cornered themselves.

Hardhome was way more important than just learning Valyrian steel kills White Walkers; it was about establishing the White Walkers' threat, period.

The whole show has been telling us that winter is coming, the White Walkers are approaching, they present the greatest threat to Westeros, etc. But off the top of my head, Hardhome is the first time we really see the White Walkers in action, and easily overpower another force -- and then double down on that threat by showing how the dead are then added to their strength.

It's also why "Dance of Dragons" was such a crucial episode: it's one thing to say Dany is dangerous because she has dragons, but you have to actually show why these dragons are a big deal. If you don't show Drogon roasting Harpies or White Walkers slaughtering Wildlings with ease, then these threats being built up don't come off as threats at all.

RDreamer

My personal story arc predictions for the next season!

Sansa/Theon head north to the wall to find Jon, who the audience thinks is still dead.

Littlefinger's army from the veil attacks Winterfell.

Jon is revived and technically doesn't have to follow his vows (not that that fucking matters since he just got fucking stabbed). Sansa tells him that his brothers are still alive and the Boltons hold Winterfell.

Jon, along with Melisandre and Davos head south with the Wildlings/whoever in the watch wants to go with.

Dany either befriends a Khalisar and gets them to join up/come back to Mereen or she's taken basically hostage and her two knights in shining armor save her. She'll be so delighted she won't know how to choose between them! Jorah dies of grayscale making things kind of easier. Yay.

The dream team of Tyrion/Varys/Gray Worm keep Mereen under control. When Dany comes back she fully trusts Tyrion now. End of season they head to Westeros.

Zombie mountain is sent to Dorne to avenge Marcella.

I'm guessing at some point Tommen dies next season, leaving them essentially kingless. Perhaps the Sand Snakes head over and do that? Dunno. Basically I think there's a little proxy battle going to happen between the Martells and Lannisters that leaves King's Landing pretty fucked/desolate of power.

Perhaps snow gets to Winterfell and Littlefinger is basically in charge having mopped things up. Maybe they set up an alliance and Sansa marries Littlefinger and he proclaims king of the north status and Snow as his "hand." Whether Snow/Littlfinger ally or not, the north is rallied.

The wall with whatever remains is attacked and slaughtered. Alistair dies to the walkers.

Sam learns to be a maester, possibly learns some shit to combat the white walkers.

So, I think we'd end the season with perhaps Snow/Littlefinger or whoever getting to king's landing and trying to take over and fortify westeros against the impending doom of the walkers. I'd guess Snow would mostly just rally the north and hole up in Winterfell for a last stand while Littlefinger/Sansa head to king's landing with some army to gather people to send to winter fell. We have Dany headed over to westeros essentially not knowing that shit got real and it's chaos vs white walkers. Sets up an interesting play of Varys/Dany vs Littlefinger/Snow.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Lena Headey is so amazing. Cersei's walk was perfect. I don't even care that Jon died, I'm too excited for Cersei's revenge in season 6, lmao.

That scheming look on her face when frankenmountain picked her up. You know she's thinking about the worst possible way to end that bitch with the ladle.

Right?! I'm so HAPPY and RELIEVED that Cersei survived! :) I was convinced she'd be stabbed just before she got back to the Red Keep.

Can't wait to see her revenge unfold next year. I just wonder what they'll do with her hair, I'm hoping a wig? She's supposed to be glamorous while serving all those side-eyes and judgemental smirks, and the short hair doesn't work for me.

Wow, ok. I couldn't disagree more. Season 5 is easily the worst one so far. I'm a bit hazy on season 2 but the fildwire scene alone was fucking amazing and shits all over Hardhome, the only saving grace of this season.

I mean... we must be watching two different shows :p The main complaint people had about the first half of Season 5 was my complaint with all of Season 2: slow, meandering story that took forever to get going. The Wildfire battle is the most boring of all the big setpieces the show has had. They also killed off Renly who was one of my faves, and introduced Stannis as a major player who turned out to be a COMPLETE waste of time as we saw this year.

Season 2 is the one I dread myself "powering through" on a series rewatch.

RDreamer

It's also why "Dance of Dragons" was such a crucial episode: it's one thing to say Dany is dangerous because she has dragons, but you have to actually show why these dragons are a big deal. If you don't show Drogon roasting Harpies or White Walkers slaughtering Wildlings with ease, then these threats being built up don't come off as threats at all.

Except Dance of Dragons showed me that she ain't conquering Westeros with those shitty dragons. Some damned nobles in masks and a few spears are able to injure the shit out of Drogon? Yeah...

Except Dance of Dragons showed me that she ain't conquering Westeros with those shitty dragons. Some damned nobles in masks and a few spears are able to injure the shit out of Drogon? Yeah...

her dragons are still babies. It's why she's probably quite a ways away from being able to use them to take over Westeros.

rambis

Banned
Isn't he still growing? They've come back bigger every season. The tales Viserys and Tywin told had dragons with heads the size of chariots.

Maybe you are reading too much that scene.

ASIS

Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm the only one who likes GOT lol. I thought that finale was amazing. Too many things.

That's why I think he might come back.

They focused on the sword AND Jon and Sam were talking about it.

It's a television show with dragons, zombies and magic. Why wouldn't this be believable?
Because they were jumping off of castle walls? This is such a stupid argument, yeah just because it has dragons doesn't mean the rest of basic logic jumps out the window (pun intended)

Just watched the show. I'll go with the pessimistic prediction for next season:

• Stannis is still dead.
  • Arya is dead from some voodoo magic. Her face is still around.
  • Sansa broke Theon's fall, so he's fine. She's dead though.
  • Jamie tries to resuscitate Mycella with mouth to mouth, gets poisoned. Dies.
  • Danerys gets speared by the Dothraki as revenge for killing Drogo.
  • Her dragon dies from infections. The two other starve to death being left in that dungon
  • Sam gets hunted down by the Night's Watch shortly after leaving.
  • Zombie Mountain, after carrying Cercei to her bath, makes the classic Of Mice & Men-style misjudgement of his own petting strength, leaving her dead.
  • Jon Snow is dead, but the Melisandra is there in time to save him. Slips on his blood, cracks her head open, dies.

I'll still be watching next year. I like a good reboot of everything.

White walkers arrive and be like "where da fuck is everyone?"

RDreamer

Massive snow banks?

Because they were jumping off of castle walls? This is such a stupid argument, yeah just because it has dragons doesn't mean the rest of basic logic jumps out the window (pun intended)

They're totally going to survive, but yeah... that was fucking dumb.

This was an episode where they emphasized the snow is melting. Then 3 seconds before their jump they toss a girl over the edge of the same wall to a height that was shorter and she dies instantly.

They could have easily had them venture down one set of stairs and out a window into a big snow drift or something, but they wanted another CLIFFHANGER!

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I have a theory guys. Hear me out:

What if Jon is really Robert's son and Gendry was used to throw us off. If he wasn't used to through us off that would mean he is related to Jon.

Melisadre has been wrong with Stannis twice now -- Blackwater and Winterfell.

What if Jon was the man with true kings blood all along. That would mean Melisandre is a good guy(gal) too.

Thoughts?

I definitely don't think Ned is his father. But I do believe that he has Stark blood in him as Ned sounded very sincere when he told him that in season 1 (https://youtu.be/diZPm20DdLM?t=15s).
So my theory is that he is the son of Ned's sister Lyanna (or is there another sister?). Whether it's with Robert or someone else I don't know but I'm almost certain he's the son of Lyanna.

Curufinwe

Because they were jumping off of castle walls? This is such a stupid argument

On to snow. It really is a stupid thing to argue over considering this link from the last page.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/A...-18-000-feet/story-20171154-detail/story.html

This was an episode where they emphasized the snow is melting. Then 3 seconds before their jump they toss a girl over the edge of the same wall to a height that was shorter and she dies instantly.

They could have easily had them venture down one set of stairs and out a window into a big snow drift or something, but they wanted another CLIFFHANGER!

They clear the snow inside the walls, not outside up against the castle walls. This complaint is fucking dumb.

RDreamer

I definitely don't think Ned is his father. But I do believe that he has Stark blood in him as Ned sounded very sincere when he told him that in season 1 (https://youtu.be/diZPm20DdLM?t=15s).
So my theory is that he is the son of Ned's sister Lyanna (or is there another sister?). Whether it's with Robert or someone else I don't know but I'm almost certain he's the son of Lyanna.

It wouldn't be with Robert because Ned wouldn't have a reason to keep that secret from Robert himself. Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, no doubt about that in my mind. He had to keep it secret and pretend he was his kid because... well... look at what Robert wanted to do with every Targaryen kid in existence.

They clear the snow inside the walls, not outside. This complaint is fucking dumb.

I'm not even sure what you mean with this. They emphasized that the lord of light apparently stopped the snow which was keeping Stannis in place. They showed the snow fucking melting so he could get through. Yet there's enough that Theon and Sansa can land safely on? And they show us the drop really ambiguously.

Look, I'm not saying there isn't enough there to say they survived. I'm not even saying it's dumb that they survived. I'm saying the show played it up more than it needed to be in order to be a big cliffhanger when it didn't need to be at all.

Askani

Because she landed on a rock floor inside the castle walls. They would remove snow from inside the castle.

A castle with easily escapable walls is a castle with easily exploited defenses. I agree though that they could have handled it better, but I can let it pass.

Ovid

I'm not going to argue with you.

It's a show based on a fantasy book. They made a point of showing snow at the bottom of the castle walls.

The thought of them committing suicide never even crossed my mind when I watched that scene.

Okay, I now believe that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Robert. Jon is the true king of Westeros.

Curufinwe

I'm not even sure what you mean with this. They emphasized that the lord of light apparently stopped the snow which was keeping Stannis in place. They showed the snow fucking melting so he could get through. Yet there's enough that Theon and Sansa can land safely on? And they show us the drop really ambiguously.

Look, I'm not saying there isn't enough there to say they survived. I'm not even saying it's dumb that they survived. I'm saying the show played it up more than it needed to be in order to be a big cliffhanger when it didn't need to be at all.

Enough snow melted for them to march through it. But there was still snow on the ground. Snow piles up against outer walls.

I thought Sansa's cliffhanger was more about how she and Theon will escape a fuming Ramsay who's now going to be hunting for them. Not really whether they're gonna survive the fall.

RDreamer

Enough snow melted for them to march through it. But there was still snow on the ground. Snow piles up against outer walls.

Again, read my last sentences.

I'm not saying they couldn't. I'm not saying they didn't. I know they did. It'd be ridiculous if they didn't. The thing is that I don't think anyone can deny they purposefully made it waaaaaaaaaaay more ambiguous than it needed to be in order to be a big cliffhanger in an episode of cliffhangers.

I think it's also dumb to do that because it's the same episode Jon gets shanked and Arya ends on a weird blind cliffhanger, too. As show runners they should know there needs to be a little tiny relief/glimpse of hope there for someone "good."

I thought Sansa's cliffhanger was more about how she and Theon will escape a fuming Ramsay who's now going to be hunting for them. Not really whether they're gonna survive the fall.

This is what I'm saying the cliffhanger SHOULD have been and why they did it poorly. People should be like "Oh yay they escaped the castle! I hope they get away from Ramsey!" not "Did they just fucking die? How the hell did they survive THAT!?"

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
It wouldn't be with Robert because Ned wouldn't have a reason to keep that secret from Robert himself. Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, no doubt about that in my mind. He had to keep it secret and pretend he was his kid because... well... look at what Robert wanted to do with every Targaryen kid in existence.

I thought about that too and it almost makes too much sense, but wouldn't a half Targaryen at least be somewhat blond? Like at least a light brown or something

But other than that I could definitely see this being true.

This is what I'm saying the cliffhanger SHOULD have been and why they did it poorly. People should be like "Oh yay they escaped the castle! I hope they get away from Ramsey!" not "Did they just fucking die? How the hell did they survive THAT!?"

I admit I had to suspend my disbelief a little because I, like you, was thinking the snow's melting. However I envisioned a bank large enough. In my mind it was pretty clear what the cliffhanger was, but I could see how someone might be thinking the fall was it.

Curufinwe

As show runners they should know there needs to be a little tiny relief/glimpse of hope there for someone "good."

The show runners obviously credit the audience with enough intelligence to know that jumping on to the snow shown at 1:44 is not going to be fatal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVU0loJqkww

Crisco

Banned

Yeah, but that's on inattentive show watchers, not the showrunners. There are legitimate complaints you can make about the way this season was handled, but that scene was absolutely fine. It wasn't a damn suicide pact, if they wanted to die they could have just waited for Ramsay to come back. Seriously, have you people ever gone skiiing? Enough snow can cushion any fall. Plus we're talking about snow that's been piling up in the shadow of a giant wall for weeks. A few hours of above freezing temps isn't going to make a dent in the feet of snow that's been accumulating there.

wildfire

Banned
Jon's vow to the Nights Watch is only until his death I think. So even if he is resurrected by the lord of light I guess that he will be leaving the wall behind to fend for themselves.

You're right. This would be a great set up at redeeming GRRM for his bloodlust.

I hope going forward there's either Implied nudity...or none at all. The walk of shame (much like this season's Dany bedroom scene) took me completely out of the moment when it was so obvious that the full frontal shots were CGI. Whatever impact that should have had on me was lost. The movement of the face to the body looked so unnatural. They really just need to let this go. If an actress won't do the nude scene, the shoot some other way where it can be implied without looking so darn fake.

CGI_zps2wre9ufv.jpg

Curufinwe

I hope going forward there's either Implied nudity...or none at all. The walk of shame (much like this season's Dany bedroom scene) took me completely out of the moment when it was so obvious that the full frontal shots were CGI. Whatever impact that should have had on me was lost. The movement of the face to the body looked so unnatural. They really just need to let this go. If an actress won't do the nude scene, the shoot some other way where it can be implied without looking so darn fake.

She was pregnant so that might have had something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom