• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt the book/show make a living off not following expectations or traditional story telling tropes? I mean what bigger way is there to re-enforce that then to let Jon stay dead, no Resurrection, no living in Ghost, just dead dead. That seems to be what the books are always trying to say "it doesnt matter how much someone is built up, what a prophesy says or what you've seen before, shit can happen at any point, at any time, and the story will go on, even if every character you know dies".

That's all good and well if the show's entertaining. The last two episodes this season just left me feeling numb. But I suppose if that's the writers' aim then they succeeded.

Brojito

Neo Member
Someone mentioned Jon couldn't be half targaryan because he can't handle hot things. But Dany's brother couldn't either. Only the "Dragon" can handle fire, that would be Dany. Isn't there only one of those at a time?

Question for this thread in general - I know this is a "show only, no books" thread, but can we reference things that Martin has said about the series in interviews and stuff like that? If they directly relate to something in the show?

The body double who performed the Walk of Shame in the season finale of Game of Thrones for the pregnant Lena Headey has been revealed.

Rebecca Van Cleave is a 27-year-old British-American actress and model, known for her work on The Royals (2015), The Prey (2015), and 50 Ways To Kill Your Lover.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/18/game-thrones-lena-headey-nude-double-van-cleave

She's beautiful :D

And I agree with her stance, Lena put her everything into that scene.

demolitio

Cersei won't have much money to spend on her rampage considering the Iron Bank is due to collect some money and with Stannis basically defaulting on his loans, they're going to be pushing hard for King's Landing to pay up now more than ever before.

I feel like her reign is finally to an end as he made sure to make the prophecy self-fulfilled and take everyone else out with her. They showed the alliance with the Tyrells turn to shit for a reason, and I think it's because they were the only ones that had the resources to pay the bank and keep the kingdom afloat.

Either that or the Iron Bank will magically disappear just like so many other things, but I doubt it. They backed Stannis in hopes of getting their money back that way, now it's time for other measures.

Kvik

I'm slightly amused at Jon's face when Olly appeared in front of him.

Et tu, Olly?

My only gripe with this season was not enough Littlefinger. He's not even in the final episode, ffs.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm slightly amused at Jon's face when Olly appeared in front of him.

Et tu, Olly?

My only gripe with this season was not enough Littlefinger. He's not even in the final episode, ffs.

Ya hope Littlefinger doesn't become forgotton. I mean he's the reason all of this is happening ALL OF IT.

demolitio

Ya hope Littlefinger doesn't become forgotton. I mean he's the reason all of this is happening ALL OF IT.

He definitely won't/can't be as he's such a key figure in all of this. I figure he's disappeared a while only to reappear with an army next season or something. I'm sure he's making moves but they want it to be a big twist when his next move happens.

The question is who does he attack first and who is he truly going to ally with for the time being before he turns on them?

Jon slayed the Mutineers at the Craster's Keep and chopped Slynt's head clean off for disregarding his order. He will have no trouble beheading Thorne and Olly after he comes back.

graffix13

Doesnt the book/show make a living off not following expectations or traditional story telling tropes? I mean what bigger way is there to re-enforce that then to let Jon stay dead, no Resurrection, no living in Ghost, just dead dead. That seems to be what the books are always trying to say "it doesnt matter how much someone is built up, what a prophesy says or what you've seen before, shit can happen at any point, at any time, and the story will go on, even if every character you know dies".

This is exactly the reason why I don't think Jon is coming back.

kingkitty

I've been thinking it over and...

Jon is dead. Like perma dead. He's not coming back. Not at the beginning of season 6, not at the end of Season 6. Not in Season 7. Not ever.

I bet the fire lady showed up at the fort just so the audience could get a Davos reaction shot. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't amount to shit next season.

I think it makes sense for Jon to die. The three Starks, Sean Bean + Robb + Jon tried to do the right thing, to the point where it blinded them to their own surroundings. Before they could take the next step and become the great hero at the end of the story, they're betrayed.

If Game of Thrones was the NFL, then the Starks are the Buffalo Bills. We need to accept that.

BadAss2961

I've been thinking it over and...

Jon is dead. Like perma dead. He's not coming back. Not at the beginning of season 6, not at the end of Season 6. Not in Season 7. Not ever.

I bet the fire lady showed up at the fort just so the audience could get a Davos reaction shot. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't amount to shit next season.

I think it makes sense for Jon to die. The three Starks, Sean Bean + Robb + Jon tried to do the right thing, to the point where it blinded them to their own surroundings. Before they could take the next step and become the great hero at the end of the story, they're betrayed.

If Game of Thrones was the NFL, then the Starks are the Buffalo Bills. We need to accept that.
This show/Martin really does hate the Starks with a passion. Fully expect Sansa to die in the cruelest way imaginable now.

You figure there would be at least the slightest payoff for all that family's pain, but nope.

HBO's GoT before they had GoT. I really wish they could have afforded to keep the show going, it was so damn good.

I think if they'd have filmed it now it would be a lot more popular than it was back then.

Absolutely. I miss Rome hard. :(

Also Indira Varma was in it too so that helped its greatness. So hot.

tve54412-1666-2005918-0.jpg

Inglip

Neo Member
Littlefinger is my favourite character <3

Him and Varys and Tyrion makes my trifecta :D I like the master schemers and plotters, the smart ones <3

Without LF there would be peace, quiet and stable north ready to face WW, maybe even dead Danny. But chaos isn´t a pit; chaos is a ladder.

UrbanRats

It resembled Caesar getting stabbed in The Rome TV show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvgP5hO99o
Lol, first thing i thought of, too.

I also went "et tu Brute" whan watching it.

HBO's GoT before they had GoT. I really wish they could have afforded to keep the show going, it was so damn good.

I think if they'd have filmed it now it would be a lot more popular than it was back then.
Man, that show was amazing, and Season 2 was visibly rushed through major events to finish it up, fucking sad.

deleted

This is what I and a lot of others have been trying to say for the last couple of days. But no, apparently there's no way Jon could stay dead and if he does, that's like worst writing ever.

But the show also goes out of it's way to show that some people do indeed have plot armor. The shit Tyrion, Arya and Dany have been through would have been a sure death for any other character in GoT. Well maybe not for the black Eagle himself, that could've only been invented as an antithesis to Tolkien - Ramsey Boltoon.

Also, the way Mel is talking about the prophesies and how Stannis was so unsure what he saw, conveys that the people reading them may read them wrong, but that they come true nonetheless - just maybe not in the way interpreted by the one staring in the fire.

Speevy

Banned
Lol, first thing i thought of, too.

I also went "et tu Brute" whan watching it.

Man, that show was amazing, and Season 2 was visibly rushed through major events to finish it up, fucking sad.

Rome is still bloody amazing though. I really hate to be that guy, but it's miles ahead of season 5 of GoT, and I love GoT.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I didn't like how both characters who ahd this loving moments with their parents died very soon after, like you're trying to make me care about Myrcella at the last second because you want us to feel something when she dies.

Also Myrcella's "Somehow... I think I've always known." God I hate when people do that line (yes, Princess Leia I'm even looking at you)

Kinyou

The body double who performed the Walk of Shame in the season finale of Game of Thrones for the pregnant Lena Headey has been revealed.

Rebecca Van Cleave is a 27-year-old British-American actress and model, known for her work on The Royals (2015), The Prey (2015), and 50 Ways To Kill Your Lover.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/18/game-thrones-lena-headey-nude-double-van-cleave
Huh, didn't realize at all that it was a body double

also, lol

“I never in a million years would have thought I would be in Dubrovnik surrounded by hundreds of extras and crew members throwing food at me, but it was amazing.”

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Halfway through the season I started sensing it and, especially after the finale, my feelings are that GoT has seen it's better days. The series just feels like it's setting up a series of shock moments rather than focusing on a wider plot.
I kinda think this seasons issues were the opposite, moving the pieces around the board for some over arching plot that won't happen till next season or even the season after. Littlefinger disappeared for the last 3 or so episodes, Arya spent an entire season learning and failing to learn about the many faced God, Dorne felt completely like set-up, frankenmountain appeared in the final moments of the very last episode, Dany spent an entire season failing to control Mereen only to be wisked away to an entirely knew place. The problem is, I don't believe that GRRM knows exactly what his endgame is, and so we can't really see how this will tie together, if it even does. There have already been plenty of loose threads that never get tied off, so we know GRRM isn't afraid to abandon characters that no longer serve his overall narrative .

deleted

I kinda think this seasons issues were the opposite, moving the pieces around the board for some over arching plot that won't happen till next season or even the season after. Littlefinger disappeared for the last 3 or so episodes, Arya spent an entire season learning and failing to learn about the many faced God, Dorne felt completely like set-up, frankenmountain appeared in the final moments of the very last episode, Dany spent an entire season failing to control Mereen only to be wisked away to an entirely knew place. The problem is, I don't believe that GRRM knows exactly what his endgame is, and so we can't really see how this will tie together, if it even does. There have already been plenty of loose threads that never get tied off, so we know GRRM isn't afraid to abandon characters that no longer serve his overall narrative .

Oh, he knows the endgame, but he's still writing as he goes along towards that goal. So he might put characters in situations were he doesn't have an immediate solution at hand as how to move him or her forward.

Littlefinger is my favourite character <3

Him and Varys and Tyrion makes my trifecta :D I like the master schemers and plotters, the smart ones <3
They can't swing a sword for shit, but they've outlived the majority of the strongest characters in the show. They all play that chess or in the case of Littlefinger speed chess at the highest level. Littlfinger is like Xanatos from Gargoyles, you can try to foil his plans, but his plans are so intricate and multilayer to the point where his response is pretty much "fuck it I win."

painey

Had no idea it was a double.

how is this even possible? It was some of the worst CG of the series, apart from maybe daenerys riding the dragon.. Completely ruined the scene for me because of how bad it was. I would have rather they just showed her from behind, instead of using the bad 'floating' face paste job.

Carpet...drapes. Hair dye, merkin?

"seamless illusion"

Er...no. That wasn't seamless. They should have skipped the full frontals.

&#8220;I personally don&#8217;t agree with anybody who says having a body double detracts from the scene,&#8221; Van Cleave says. &#8220;Lena put her heart and soul into that scene. It should all be about the finished product, not about whose body was where and and whose head was where.&#8221;

It did detract. It took me completely out of the moment. And it was about the finished product because the finished product looked fake. I feel bad for her and Lena. Obviously they put a lot of work into it. But the directors should have shot this differently. No question. Great idea, poor execution.

It resembled Caesar getting stabbed in The Rome TV show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvgP5hO99o

Yep.

Wtf?
Is that Edmure Tully killing Mance Rayder?

Uh-huh.

N30RYU

The only thing that leads me to think that John isn't dead is 'cause Ghost didn't show and all the Starks seems to be bonded with its wolf's fate...

Unless Sansa heads to the north seeking John proteccion or looking for his younger brothers, and Ghost joins her.

Vashetti

Banned
was this an all time season low for the direwolves? I think i saw one like one time.

Ghost appeared twice. In the first episode munching on some meat, and later on when Sam was defending Gilly.

Apparently the direwolf stuff is expensive so I'm assuming the dragon stuff takes priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom